As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If you want extra content, I may suggest using the cheat codes to mess with the game. Ducktales Mode is both hilarious and very tough, as everyhing deals 4X damage.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Dammit, the Flying Machine is killing any desire I have to finish. Who decided that those stupid green fan enemies that blow you back were a good idea? Who designed that stupid section with the spikes and the changing wind direction? It feels completely infuriating in every way. The spread out checkpoints in new game+ just elevate all these design choices to maddening status. I think I played it for 2 hours today and just gave up.

edzepp on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I wonder if the heavy armor would keep those guys from pushing you back, instead of just nullifying knockback. I meant to give it a shot but got sidetracked by Terraria.

The Phase Locket works on those guys, and the projectile relics work well. And if you just want to kill them quick, there's the War Horn.

I guess my real issue is that the Flying Machine is the level of 1000 pit deaths. That's what's getting me.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The Fire Rod is for enemies you just don't want to deal with.

The War Horn is for enemies you really just don't want to deal with.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, that was a great way to set up a boss rush.

"...pass the salt."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2014
    And then right after I come here to complain I try it again and beat it in a totally reasonable time. What the hell.

edzepp on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    And then right after I come here to complain I try it again and beat it in a totally reasonable time. What the hell.

The magic of old school hardassness. Crack open your skull trying to beat some damn thing. Walk away. Have a pop, maybe eat something. Come back and just like magic you breeze through the spot without an issue.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The flying machine was my most-died-on level with 11 deaths, roughly 10 of which were due to Propeller ManKnight himself.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have a feeling the amulet is going to define speed runs for this game, but I haven't finished yet so who knows what potentially awesome relics lie in wait.

YL9WnCY.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a feeling the amulet is going to define speed runs for this game, but I haven't finished yet so who knows what potentially awesome relics lie in wait.

I have them all but youre not far off the mark.

The games focus on vertical climbing as you get further in is a big factor.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edzepp wrote: »

The magic of old school hardassness. Crack open your skull trying to beat some damn thing. Walk away. Have a pop, maybe eat something. Come back and just like magic you breeze through the spot without an issue.

Apparently. :P

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    The flying machine was my most-died-on level with 11 deaths, roughly 10 of which were due to Propeller ManKnight himself.

Anchor the shit out of him when he's stuck up in the air on one side.

You can take out his whole life bar while he calls that airship to fire on you

Also, when he swoops around in the second phase, you can bounce off his head a whole bunch.

almost done with this.
    That means sequel wishlist time!
    Let me win the powers from the bosses. Its dang obvious that was intended at some point.

Mobility upgrades would be nice. A double jump or using your shovel to wall climb.

The animation is there let me dig my shovel into the ground to stop moving on ice or in wind.

Let me jump from ladders.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    At least you get an air dash, I can see that being used all kinds of ways for speed runs.

Man, that final boss. Pretty rare the mechanics of fighting a boss actually tie into the plot.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Yeah, that last boss battle was a beautiful thing. Really great mechanics wraparound for what felt like a really whimsical throw away story in the beginning.

And my hope is that they treat a sequel as less of a Shovel Knight 2 and more like a Shovel Knight X. Same basic mechanics and style, but a big increase in mobility and even more exploration.

Man, I hope this game sells well. I'm a little nervous considering all the top YouTube videos on the subject have pretty low view counts.

Viskod wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

Anchor the shit out of him when he's stuck up in the air on one side.

You can take out his whole life bar while he calls that airship to fire on you

You assume I had the anchor at that time.

And that I was smart enough to realize the pogo could actually hit him there.

Fortunately, the good old Phase Locket did the trick.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It's not that much of a stretch to think you did, you've got to do Treasure Knight to even get there.

And it's impossible to do Treasure Knight without finding the blue chest, since it's part of the miniboss.

Enlong wrote: »
    And it's impossible to do Treasure Knight without finding the blue chest, since it's part of the miniboss.

Guess what?

You're not actually compelled to open the chest.

... want to guess how I know?

No worries. Completing the Iron Whale has unlocked the Anchor in Chester's shop in the village.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just beat it. Wow. Whole game was fucking incredible. Last boss:
    Did anyone else cheese her by pogoing off Shield Knight, getting your 3 bounces on the boss's head, and then following her when she dashes to the side using Propeller Blade to continue bouncing? I killed her in literally 2 combos, right as she was rising back up from eating a chunk out of the right half of the stage.

Enchantress/Shield Knight was far, far harder with her dirt-destroying bullshit.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    I didn't feel that the final fights were particularly hard, but they were satisfying.

• temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    I just beat Mole Knight, and when I got to the campfire afterward I noticed a chest containing a meal ticket, for the first time. Have I been passing up these chests all along?

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The chests are random I think? Or one spawns every two fights.

Hm. well I missed all of those somehow.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I got a campfire chest every 2 fights. There's almost no way any reasonable person could miss them, they're incredibly obvious.

I can only assume there's a blue chest/subweapon in every level. I also assume any you missed can be bought from Chester in town, because he had a few new items later on in my game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I think I just got used to the only thing you can do at a campsite was dig, so I'd dig up the fire and just run on by. Oh well, I haven't had too much trouble with a smaller life bar.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
    Meal tickets appear with every Shield Knight dream after the first. And those appear every time the map opens up.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Much happier with new game +'s difficulty so far. Feels like what the default should have been.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I thought chests only showed up at the end of a "round," i.e. when you clear all the locks active at one time.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Shovel Knight is stomping my dick but I'm loving every minute of it.

Feel free to put that on the box, Yacht Club Games.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Shovel Knight is stomping my dick but I'm loving every minute of it.

Feel free to put that on the box, Yacht Club Games.

Way to turn a phrase there.

• WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    Hm, death counts...

Pridemoor Keep - 1
    Lich Yard - 0
    Lost City - 3
    Iron Whale - 4
    Explodatorium - 1
    Clockwork Tower - 4
    Flying Machine - 5
    Stranded Ship - 7
    Tower entrance - 4
    Tower ascent - 3
    Tower ??? - 0

Pretty sure the tower entrance should be more like 20 or something because I kept alt-F4 ragequitting at that part.

Those fucking weasels. Arrgh