As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, July 9, 2014 - Marxio Kart

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    RunningmanRunningman Registered User regular
    I'm using tilt controls!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Have we got a Mario Kart to English translation list?
    I'm using tilt controls! = That's why you beat me.
    Shall we get started? = Pick a god damn track already.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I'm using tilt controls! = I'm not using tilt controls!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

I'm using tilt controls! = I'm not using tilt controls!

Is it tilt controls for you guys? Over here it's "I'm using motion controls!"
    And yes, it does mean "I'm not using motion controls"

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Looks like someone's

on tilt.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    The return of the Angry Cat Gabe <3

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Well played! Well played! Well played!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The blue shell has always smelled like so much bullshit to me from the very first game it appeared in. It's an item that allows the person who is playing the worst to fuck with the person who is playing the best. It doesn't even have a direct positive impact on the person who uses it, really! It's just a "fuck you, I suck at this game and if I can't be in 1st place nobody can".

I stopped playing after Mario Kart DS because I saw those videos of Mario Kart Wii. You know the ones, where a guy gets hit by about 18 things in quick succession, plummeting from 1st to last place instantly.

And don't even get me started on the rubber banding.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Rubber banding is pretty much gone in 8.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Mario Kart is not meant to be a racing title.

It is meant to be a settler of scores.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Rubber banding is pretty much gone in 8.

I won't say it's gone but since it happens less I think you feel that Blue Shell burn even more.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    I really dislike the extremely over-exaggerated art style Mike has been using the past 1-2 years.

A mouth bigger than the character's head? Seriously?

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

"I'm excited!" = I am going to purposefully stay behind you this entire race and repeatedly pelt you with red shells and fireballs.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Well now I've seen everything.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I really dislike the extremely over-exaggerated art style Mike has been using the past 1-2 years.

What You're Actually Saying: Keep your unrealistic hyperbole expressions out of my cartoons, Michael.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I'm using tilt controls!

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular
    The blue shell isn't nearly as annoying when you can carry around a Horn to defend yourself.

Not Fair! = That was some commie bullshit
    One more time! = This is how many times I've been with your mother, jerkoff!

Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
    Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Everyone knows the true fight in Mario Kart is the fight for 2nd place.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Half the appeal of Penny Arcade is that there are jokes in both the art and writing

Wait, did I say half? Because I meant basically all of it

• Options
    alluviousalluvious Registered User new member
    Weird thing is, in this game 1st place is the safest place to be, once you're away from the pack and have some bananas or shells to protect you. If you're far ahead enough, Blue shells won't hinder you that much unless it's followed by red shells or Lightning.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

oh

well

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The last few PA comics have been really, REALLY good.

PA has always been solid enough to ellicit a smile from me, but the last two were actually laugh out loud funny.

I got looks and EVERYTHING>

• Options
    Hello! = I've entered the chat room.
    Hello! = I'm mashing the button.
    Hello! = I'm not going to stop mashing the button.
    Hello! = This is the best I can do to try and hit you with a DoS attack.
    Hello! = My thumb's working on automatic reflex now.
    Hello! = This only ends once you've all picked courses.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    You never get the blue shell when you're in 2nd or 3rd place where it might actually help you, you only get it when you're, like, 10th and have no chance to win. That's why I love it so much, it's entirely for the scootyfroody.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    The blue shell was nice back in Mario Kart 64, when it actually stayed on the ground and could nail multiple people on its way to the guy in first. That made it more than just a FU to some random schlep in first, and actually useful to you back when in you're in last.

• Options
    It stays on the ground for most of the shot, it only goes airborne when it's coming up on the racer in 1st.
    And the blast can take out a whole bunch if there's an actual contest for the lead, so it's not just an FU to 1st place.
    It is an FU, but it's not only an FU.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Hello! = I've entered the chat room.
    Hello! = I'm mashing the button.
    Hello! = I'm not going to stop mashing the button.
    Hello! = This is the best I can do to try and hit you with a DoS attack.
    Hello! = My thumb's working on automatic reflex now.
    Hello! = This only ends once you've all picked courses.

It's like Journey.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The blue shell has gone back to its roots of barreling through everyone it can on its way to the leader.

It screws over almost as many people as the Lightning, now.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    You never get the blue shell when you're in 2nd or 3rd place where it might actually help you, you only get it when you're, like, 10th and have no chance to win. That's why I love it so much, it's entirely for the scootyfroody.
    Sorry to be that guy, but I believe the correct pronunciation is scootenfroody.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    You can make some great conversations in Hearthstone with character emotes.
    "The Light shall bring victory!"
    "...Victory or death..."

"Your soul shall be mine!"
    (shrug) "You asked for it..."

Two Valeeras are funny because one calmly introduces themselves: "Watch your back..." And the other screams like an unhinged psychopath: "I WILL BE YOUR DEATH!"

I tend to open rogue matches with a standard greeting: "I WILL BE YOUR DEATH! ...Sorry. That was a mistake. The pleasure is mine."

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I started every Hearthstone match by muting my opponent.

My standard practice for most videogames, really.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I should start doing that in Hearthstone. There is nothing worse than when someone beats your ass mercilessly into the ground in a videogame, then says Good Game.
    "Good Game" in many situation is simply adding insult to injury. It wasn't a "good game"! You're just being a dick, and if I speak up against it, I'll look like the bad guy because after all "you were just being a good sport" there!

Djiem on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I should start doing that in Hearthstone. There is nothing worse than when someone beats your ass mercilessly into the ground in a videogame, then says Good Game.
    "Good Game" in many situation is simply adding insult to injury. It wasn't a "good game"! You're just being a dick, and if I speak up against it, I'll look like the bad guy because after all "you were just being a good sport" there!

They're just being polite.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you don't say, "Good game" when every single game ends, you needed to play tee-ball more as a kid.

Or something.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Honestly even if somebody was being sarcastic when saying "Good Game" it's preferable to what most randoms on XBL will message you with

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I personally don't much care for automatic, perfunctory "gg"s. It's a reflex twitch, often with no thought or sincerity behind it.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I personally don't much care for automatic, perfunctory "gg"s. It's a reflex twitch, often with no thought or sincerity behind it.

Like saying hello or shaking hands? Society is full of little expected rituals. Avoid them and appear anti-social. It's just that online you can usually get away with not heeding the rituals with little to no repercussions. It would seem that a good use of technology would be to automate those for you.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Honestly even if somebody was being sarcastic when saying "Good Game" it's preferable to what most randoms on XBL will message you with

I once got mailed a picture of a honey badger on PSN after a dude successfully hacked me in Watch_Dogs.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Part of doing it, even with limited sincerity, is acknowledging that you're respecting the concept of sportsmanship, even if you want to go the other way. If you're saying "Good Game," then you've acknowledged to yourself that you have to forego a, "And fuck your mother for that last point."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    If you don't say, "Good game" when every single game ends, you needed to play tee-ball more as a kid.

Or something.

It depends on how the game went. If it was a close, down-to-the-wire sort of deal, then the winner being the first to offer "Good Game" is fine and dandy, since it is an accurate description of the game. If, on the other hand, the game was an utter beat down where the loser got utterly destroyed, the winner offering "Good Game" is not being particularly sporting, since it is either given out of pity or mirth. Either way, its generally on the loser to offer "Good Game" first, since it can be safely assumed that the winner already regards it as a good game.