As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Storytime (PAX Keynote) and Concert Lineup Announced

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited June 2014 in PAX West
http://prime.paxsite.com/news/storytime-speaker-and-concert-lineup
We are excited to announce that for our PAX Prime 2014 Storytime Session we have the extremely talented Chief Creative Champion from Gearbox Software, Mikey Neumann. Mikey has worked at Gearbox for 13 years and has written for many of their games, most notably the Borderlands franchise. Mikey spends his free time writing novels, comics with IDW Publishing, and doing a comedy podcast with Kris Straub called Chainsawsuit.

In addition to Mikey starting things off this year, we also have some top tier musical stylings to announce. Friday night will feature three great bands in Triforce Quartet, The Doubleclicks, and Paul & Storm. Saturday will feature a special live event, and then Sunday keeps it all rolling with the amazing MC Frontalot, Bit Brigade, and 7bit Hero all coming to deliver awesome tunes. Check them out here.

zerzhul on

• brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    I am insanely curious about what the "special live event" will be on Saturday. :open_mouth:

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    As a lover of borderlands like 90% if pax goers judging by demo lines I'm excited for this yearsite keynote :)

• ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    brettpool wrote: »
    I am insanely curious about what the "special live event" will be on Saturday. :open_mouth:
    It could be another Supergiant Games performance. I really enjoyed last year's performance, but I'd love to see Darren Korb and Ashley Barrett perform with an entire band this year.

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Glad to see the Doubleclicks and Paul and Storm together. Looking forward to that one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Could the special live event be Hatsune Miku?

PW0oFIs.png
  • CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mikey's always pretty funny at the GBX panel. I look forward to what he has to say :)

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm hoping the live event is an Acq. Inc. session that can't be cut short.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am very excited that Paul and Storm are coming this year. And the Doubleclicks! (If you don't know who they are, go you YouTube and check them out, or if you're in Seattle come to their show this weekend!) I'm kind of nervous about the "Special Live Event". As long as it's not Hideo, I guess.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm hoping the live event is an Acq. Inc. session that can't be cut short.

Much as I love Acq Inc, I'd love to see some new groovy thing be created. As long as Acq Inc still gets a panel. If I had to guess, they will be doing something that tries to appeal to more people than the concerts do, to try to draw some more people away from the evening Freeplay crowds that always happen after expo closes.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    The Special Live Event could be something as simple as an unconfirmed musical guest, I suppose. It might not be something Super Secret.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• AercadiaAercadia ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Could the special live event be Hatsune Miku?

"Special Live Event" sounded maybe like a "live vocaloids" performance to me too! That would be awesome!

I wonder if they'll confirm what the act is for that night? It would be pretty sad if they didn't, and the theatre got packed... and then the act had a niche audience (like vocaloids), and people who would have liked to see it didn't, and people who were in the theatre weren't really into it. I hope if they don't confirm, they at least give us some hints about the genre!

• ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    What's interesting about the Special Live Event is that it takes up all of Saturday night as opposed to being an opener. I'm still hoping for a full Transistor performance. Even better would be a compilation of performances from different video game composers, but now I'm just dreaming.

It's unfortunate that there's no sign of Anamanaguchi this year. I was looking forward to seeing Endless Fantasy performed live eventually.

Zombicus on
    Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • PDX PaulPDX Paul Portland ORRegistered User regular
    Zombicus wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that there's no sign of Anamanaguchi this year. I was looking forward to seeing Endless Fantasy performed live eventually.

Dude that would be epic, since their live show for Endless Fantasy is killer.

But its kinda sad that this year there is no Protomen. I have no clue what to do with my Saturday now.

Climb to the top of the world. And as you stand tall, you will see...
    That when you fall... You will fall from a height most men will never reach.
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    No Anamanaguchi sucks, I was so happy to see them again at PAX East this year and thought for sure they would be here. As for The Protomen, they're on the Warped Tour, so it's not surprising that they aren't planning anything else at the moment.

I'm always psyched to see Bit Brigade, they've become one of my favorite performances to watch.
    What surprised me the most was Triforce Quartet. I've seen them live before but never on a big stage. They're actually really good, so if you like the idea of a four-piece string quartet playing videogame music, you're in for a treat.

As for Saturday... I don't even really have an idea of what it could be since they seem to be reserving the entire night for it. Maybe if they got some really big names like Nobuo Uematsu and the Earthbound Papa's or something it would make sense but who knows.

NSw0gum.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I read that three times before I realized you meant "the lack of Anamanaguchi sucks" ;)

I just assume people on forums forget punctuation, but yours was correctly placed and I assumed the worst!

Lack of VGO means I probably won't carve out time to make the concerts, but if I end up nearby and not doing anything, these seem like some solid acts.

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    lol yeah in hindsight I probably should have re-phrased that, but oh well. :p

I'm bummed that VGO won't be out here either but they're working on some big stuff (like the Kingdom Hearts 3 OST and kickstarter rewards that we're helping them with :D) so that's probably occupying their time more. If you're a fan of them Z then you should try and make some time to check out Triforce Quartet. I can't necessarily compare the two, but they're fantastic nonetheless.

NSw0gum.png
  • RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I read that three times before I realized you meant "the lack of Anamanaguchi sucks" ;)

I just assume people on forums forget punctuation, but yours was correctly placed and I assumed the worst!

Lack of VGO means I probably won't carve out time to make the concerts, but if I end up nearby and not doing anything, these seem like some solid acts.

Bit Brigade is worth seeing, and Sunday tends to be a not major party night.

PW0oFIs.png
    edited July 2014
    Bit Brigade is worth seeing

Yes. Yes they are. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    DoUnless clicks look good I'm impressed by their dr who theme on chellos

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    No JC? Hmm... feels odd.

jCyyTSo.png
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    I agree PikaPuff. I was sad to see JC was not on the list.

• zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    Speaking of Mikey, I think they need a Scooter pin for Pinny Arcade (or some other Borderlands character like Claptrap or a Goliath post headshot, etc...)

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    CKing wrote: »
    Last time JoCo went to PAX Prime was in 2012. A lot of people seem content that he's gone now because it brings in new acts, but with how PA is so "new PAX-goer friendly," I'd imagine that a lot of attendees are first-years and would've loved to see him too.

I've been pretty disappointed the past few PAXes (East included) that JoCo hasn't shown up, but none of us really even know the situation. All I hope is that he plays for us again at some point in the near future.

Lazorz on
  • MaxSteeleMaxSteele Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they don't keep this "special live event" a secret until the show starts. In order to get a seat at the theater, I leave the exhibit hall on Saturday when it closes, get something to eat, and stand in line from 6:30pm until the doors open.

The last thing I want to do is use 2 hours standing in line and waiting for a show to start only to find out it's something I don't care about.

This has never been done before, and I don't think it's a good idea to do it now.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Lazorz wrote: »
    CKing wrote: »
    Last time JoCo went to PAX Prime was in 2012. A lot of people seem content that he's gone now because it brings in new acts, but with how PA is so "new PAX-goer friendly," I'd imagine that a lot of attendees are first-years and would've loved to see him too.

I've been pretty disappointed the past few PAXes (East included) that JoCo hasn't shown up, but none of us really even know the situation. All I hope is that he plays for us again at some point in the near future.

He's holed up on Skullcrusher Mountain fine tuning his plan to utterly destroy the production staff of Glee one by one.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    They revealed in their most recent staff podcast that the Special Live Event is this year's Acquisitions Inc D&D game.

It's kind of an odd trade off, since I imagine there's not a lot of market overlap, but the last three or four games have run long past their scheduled block, so I guess they wanted to have a longer chunk of time set aside for the game.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
    Vaanrose wrote: »
    They revealed in their most recent staff podcast that the Special Live Event is this year's Acquisitions Inc D&D game.

Interest/sadtime/wonderment/confuse. Is this podcast recorded somewhere?

So... it's going to be some people playing a tabletop game?

Ah well, at least this gives me the opportunity to see the show at the Pink Door.

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The music makes PAX for me... Having the Minibosses so often was clutch, but I love the new stuff too! Bit Brigade FTfrigginW! \m/ I'm really looking forward to the Triforce Quartet too; I dig that Apocalyptica style.
    Edit: Removed Saturday speculation.

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Aercadia wrote: »

It's a perk of being a Club PA member. I'm honestly not excited for the concerts at all, there's nothing that's making me want to go this time... except maybe Triforce Quartet, but we'll see.

Oh well, more time for other activities!

• Bob20021Bob20021 Registered User regular
    My cousin wants Pentakill to be there. They're super catchy!

• gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    My group will be super excited to see the Acquisitions Inc. D&D game live. I'm pretty sure one of them watched the last one on YouTube on loop.

Aercadia wrote: »

Wizards of the Coast is always on-hand for these events and filming them, so video will be online at some point afterward.

As much as I love Acquisitions Inc., I'm honestly disappointed that it's taking up a night slot. I'll probably just end up at parties or something and watch it later.

NSw0gum.png
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    As much as I love Acquisitions Inc., I'm honestly disappointed that it's taking up a night slot. I'll probably just end up at parties or something and watch it later.
    My husband and I feel the same way. :( He is all about the concerts, so he is upset about the lack of good bands... I am all about AI, but I am not into being up late, so I am upset that it is a long night panel... as much as I want to support The Powers That Be with the decision making, booking, scheduling, et al... this is kind of a massive let-down. :(

Maybe there just weren't enough awesome, available bands to fill up the spots?

Or maybe they're overestimating just how many people want to see dudes play D&D live. Or maybe Acquisitions Inc. really is that popular. Who knows.

Acqustitions Inc is really popular ime so I assume they are moving it to a bigger venue and night to force people to choose between concerts and Acq. Panel. I have no issue with it personally. I'll probably attend douvle clicks and then hang out in free play area.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Acqustitions Inc is really popular ime so I assume they are moving it to a bigger venue and night to force people to choose between concerts and Acq. Panel. I have no issue with it personally. I'll probably attend douvle clicks and then hang out in free play area.
    Also, Acqustitions Inc. can presented for a much lower cost than a concert. But that strikes me as an unlikely motivation. Overall to me it seems odd unless they could populate the bill. They normally put things like Acqustitions Inc opposite a concert to provide counter programming for folks who don't go to concerts. The Giant Bomb panel has historically been in this category.

• MaxSteeleMaxSteele Registered User regular
    Once again, no Jonathan Coulton? He's done with PAX. That's really sad. Seems like he's moving away from the audience that got him to the point he's at in his career. What a shame.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Once again, no Jonathan Coulton? He's done with PAX. That's really sad. Seems like he's moving away from the audience that got him to the point he's at in his career. What a shame.

It's very possible, probably more likely, that he's just not being invited. It's hard to say though.

NSw0gum.png
    edited July 2014
    It could just be that Coulton isn't planning on touring when PAX comes around. I checked his site and he has no shows planned at all.

Come to think of it, the guy's getting quieter and quieter. I hope things are okay with him...

Edit: In fact he posted this to his (increasingly rarely-updated blog) in October of last year:
    It’s been a pretty much nonexistent tour schedule for me so far this year, which is new and different. At the end of 2012, I did the enormous bus tour with the band and John Roderick, which felt a lot to me like it put the cap on Artificial-Heart-related touring. It seemed to me that was when Artificial Heart stopped being my “new album” and became my “last album.” (“One Christmas at a Time” is technically my last album, I know, but that feels sort of like a Very Special Holiday Episode of the JoCo TV series.) Between all the opening for They Might Be Giants and my own experiments with longer band tours, it felt like I did more touring in 2011 and 2012 than I had ever done. It was an amazing stretch of really fun shows, and I learned a lot of new things about electric guitars and rock shows and audiences that were standing up. But at the end of it I was pretty tired, and starting to feel a little disconnected from my home and family, like life had gotten out of balance. Being a rock star is great fun, but it’s always trying to take over. So I decided to take a break from touring, on purpose, to just be at home a little while and get my head together, maybe write some things.

Dude just may be tired.

cloudeagle on