As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Shot of Ice & Fire: Book One (barcrawl signups are open!)

SwaeSwae Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in PAX South
emuh7mx5h6fw.png

Welcome to PAX South version of the Pre-PAX bar crawl!

In staying with PAX tradition, the Thursday evening prior to PAX will see a huge group of us crawling through the city streets, drinking, making friends, and raising money for Child's Play. PAX Prime has the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament, PAX East has the Pokecrawl, and the inaugural PAX South will have....

A Shot of Ice & Fire.

There will be houses. There will be drinking challenges. There will be sigils. Be prepared, because winter PAX South is coming.

This event is strictly 21+.

Prologue
In this frozen moment you flash through what you have just wielded and have yet to forge this night. Amidst your companions of valor, you seize the moment and take the challenge, for the honor of your house, for your glory in battle…

Through hill and dale, through rain and fog you and your companions of the quest push on and challenge after challenge you are overcome with the haze of battle….your memory will flicker….you can barely piece together but know you have brought honor to house and can proudly bear your sigil.

Your skull rings with fire from your quest…and it was good...

What This Is
Welcome to the PAX South version of the PrePAX bar crawl. You may have attended one of the other PrePAX bar crawls, The Triwizard Drinking Tournament or the Pokecrawl. Or if this is your first PAX, maybe not. In any case, this is a bar crawl. A Game of Thrones-themed bar crawl designed to get you drunk and meet fellow PAXers, all while raising money for the Child’s Play charity. This means we will ask you for donations. There will probably be cool things auctioned off. Don’t be stingy - bring some extra cash and think of the children.

This event will be held in and around the San Antonio Riverwalk. Registration with your House will start at 7:15 and each team will move to their first challenge bar at 8:00. Every hour, you will go forth to a new bar and a new house to humiliate with your elite drinking skills. All bars will be walking distance to each other. We come as a group, and leave as a group, so don’t try to get left behind!

How Does it Work?
When you arrive at the first bar, your Lord or Lady and his noblemen will check you in (see below for registration details). You will receive a registration card with some very important stuff on it. You will also receive six buttons with your house sigil upon them.

Yup, we’re button trading for this crawl. Go ahead and squee a little.

At each bar, you will single out the weakest member of the opposing house and challenge them to a duel. Once you have completed the duel (and hopefully bested them), take their house sigil as a sign of your superiority. And then give them one of yours, just to be nice. Your goal will be to collect all six sigils to show the world that you rule the seven kingdoms…..or just that you have a liver made of Valyrian Steel.

How To Participate
You can register starting on December 13, 2014 at 9 am central through Eventbrite at:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-shot-of-ice-fire-book-one-tickets-14465016253

You will be able to register yourself and a +1. Any duplicate registrations will be deleted, so don’t try to fool us.

When registration opens, it will not have a waitlist due to the functionality of Eventbrite. Any cancellations or spots that open up will immediately go back into the pool. You will need to bring a printout of your registration confirmation or have it available on your smart device when you check in at your first bar. We will ask that everyone donate at least $1 for Child's Play to receive the scorecard and house buttons.

How Do I Win?
There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But for those of you who do manage to conquer all of your foes and collect their sigils, there will be a button confirming the fact that you have lived through Book One. We're also raising money for Child's Play, so bring some extra cash and for the love of the Gods old and new, think of the children.

The House that raises the most will be declared the most bestest house ever (at least for this year) and will have bragging rights going into Book Two.

Tips & Tricks
Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk so don't be that guy (or girl). If someone notices that you're getting sloppy you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Housemate Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Jamie Lannister, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not this night, at least.

Respect the Head of House and their Assistants: Anyone designated as a House noble for the crawl isn't there just to direct you to the next bar; they're there to make sure everyone's having a good time and that everything runs smoothly. They're there to keep everyone moving and to stop people from jumping up on the bar and dropping trou. If one asks you to stop picking bar fights with Tom Cruise, it might be a good idea to do so.

HAVE FUN: This is the most important guideline of all: Have fun! We're all on vacation and we're drinking with fellow nerds so let's enjoy it. Keeping ourselves fairly reasonable for the evening will make it a good time for everyone.

Other stuff
Challenges and bar routes are coming soon. Keep an eye on the forums for more information.

We're always accepting volunteer spots as noble helpers or Wardens (sober assists) - it requires herding your brethren from one bar to the next, and making sure we don't lose any of our bannermen along the way. It's a fun job, but you probably won't be able to do all the challenges as they’re written unless you're Redbeard levels of high-tolerance. This is a great option for those that don’t feel like waking up hungover on Friday, but still like the energy and social spirit of the crawl. We prefer our volunteers mostly sober. Sober-ish. Ok, not falling down.

Please PM Swae or one of the other Lords/Ladies of the House if you're interested in assisting.

Reminders:
  • You must have a print out of your confirmation email or have it available on your smart phone.
  • You MUST provide your full name during the registration process, forum handle is optional.
  • You MUST be over the age of 21. No minors allowed. This is a bar crawl, please don't bring your children.
  • Attendees are limited to registering for 2 tickets (Yourself +1)
  • If you harass people on the forums or the team Facebook pages, you will be removed from the crawl, and your ticket will go back into the pool.
  • Duplicate/multiple orders, orders containing more than 1 ticket type, and otherwise suspicious orders will be cancelled. If you have an issue with registration please contact me immediately.

THE HOUSES

House Targaryen

yst67uej5mok.jpg

Lady Swae
Maester Etaoin
Septon ?
Warden Aldrea

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): Leapin' Lizard
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. The Wildlings
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar vs. House Baratheon
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Leapin' Lizard vs. House Stark
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Lannister
Bonus Bar (1:00 - close): The Davenport Lounge with all crawlers

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/1579313982281104/

House Lannister

86v8a79zgw8d.jpg

Lord Victoryoftheppl
Maester Shoob
Septon ?
Warden Flashe

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): The Davenport Lounge
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Stark
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): Leapin' Lizard vs. The Wildlings
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. House Baratheon
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Targaryen

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/388961264604587/

House Stark

gx4w4wb5sys3.jpg

Lord Zerzhul
Septa Jersey
Maester Ceres
Warden Decius

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): Leapin' Lizard vs. House Baratheon
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Lannister
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Leapin' Lizard vs. House Targaryen
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Waxy O'Connor's vs. The Wildlings

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/1565184373696493/

House Baratheon

aocelvng98lk.jpg

Lord ClickPicTony
Maester Khadour
Septon CandyHarlot
Warden?

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): The Buckhorn Saloon
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): Leapin' Lizard vs. House Stark
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Waxy O'Connor's vs. The Wildlings
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar vs. House Targaryen
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. House Lannister
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. The Night's Watch

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/415499315269537/

The Night's Watch

67z9uxr4n4iu.jpg

Lord Commander Peetsnack
Maester bubblegumnex
Septon Wickersham
Warden GhostDan

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): Waxy O'Connor's
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar vs. House Lannister
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. House Targaryen
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. House Stark
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. The Wildlings
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. House Baratheon

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/1589570317930641/

The Wildlings

65kfqmqkeei7.jpg

Lord or Lady Devirue
Maester Archarzel
Septon Dedwrekka
Warden?

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): Swig Martini Bar
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. House Targaryen
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Waxy O'Connor's vs. House Baratheon
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): Leapin' Lizard vs. House Lannister
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Waxy O'Connor's vs. House Stark

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/392395164269657/

THE CHALLENGES

9fh1npu319w4.jpeg

BAR 1: Swear Allegiance to your house (7:15 - 8:00pm)
Forge a new alliance. See someone on your team that looks like a good ally? Share a drink and toast to your impending house victory.

BAR 2: Winter is Coming (8:00 - 9:00pm)
Each of you buy your favorite white shot or clear cocktail and get two extra glasses. Mix the two together in a blizzard of booze and each consume half. Hey, nobody said winter would be easy.

BAR 3: The Kingsroad (9:00 - 10:00pm)
Each member of the pair orders a beer or mixed drink. Engage in a game of 'I Never' until both drinks have been consumed. Save any dirt you learn about your opponent for future blackmail. Playing dirty in the game of thrones is expected.

BAR 4: Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things (10:00 - 11:00pm)
Buy a shot each of whiskey, vodka and tequila. Rock/Paper/Scissors to see who drinks each shot. The goal is to avoid being a cripple by the time you leave the bar.

BAR 5: The Golden Crown (11:00 - 12:00am)
Buy your opponent a drink of your choice that contains crown royal OR a product from the king of beers (Budweiser). Drink, and prove you are a true dragon.

BAR 6: Fire and Blood (12.:00 - 1:00am)
Buy your opponent a spicy OR red drink of your choice. Let yourself be consumed by the flames, and emerge victorious.

Swae on

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hopefully the mortality rate is far lower. We don't need to be too authentic to the source material ;)

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    'Pax south is coming'

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    PAXisComing.jpg

• bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    omgomgomgmog.

I am trembling with excitement.

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    It is known.

Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    No dumping bodies in the river. The Riverlands...I mean Riverwalk doesn't need (GoT book spoilers)
    Lady Stoneheart
    showing up.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • TiklmesillyTiklmesilly Registered User new member
    Woot can't wait.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • The_SavesThe_Saves Magistrate of Crazy Town KirklandRegistered User regular
    Wow, this is a great theme! Can't wait!

Ummm...
  • FADEFADE Registered User new member
    Drinking is involved, I will be around.....

Quakecon: 2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014......
    FADECON: FOR LIFE!
    Pax South: 2015
  • cyceratopscyceratops Registered User new member
    Oh thank god. I was worried there wouldn't be a thing. I am excited about thing. I am excited about theme.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Remember that a Lannister always pays their debts

This space for rent
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Drunk Arcadians raiding the Alamo!

• SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    This cannot end well.

I love it.

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • KoToKoTo Monterrey, MéxicoRegistered User regular
    After a 6 - 8 hour drive I'll definitely need a drink... or two... or twenty.

• MyaSharonaMyaSharona Registered User regular
    Thank goodness that picture was posted. I had NO worldly idea what that theme was in reference to. >.<

• WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    No dumping bodies in the river. The Riverlands...I mean Riverwalk doesn't need (GoT book spoilers)
    Lady Stoneheart
    showing up.

I think Eva Longoria spends most of her time in Los Angeles since the divorce, so we're probably safe.

Also, can we request houses for this? Because I don't think we'll get *all* of them, and Greyjoy should be represented...

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    well, the other two pax barcrawls have 4 "houses" each split into two teams. If the organizers go that traditional route, there will be 4 houses to choose from. I would personally pick Stark, Lannister, Targaryen, and Baratheon if there were 4. If there were more, it's easy to add in others, but it's hard to remove any of those 4 to make room for another.

Also, since the series is still ongoing, I will thank everyone to not spoil the series. I would say that anything out of the year's theme is fair game, but not more than that (i.e., if this is book one, that material is considered non-spoiler, anything past that is spoiler territory).

Oh God. I didn't even think about spoilers. I would be so salty if someone spoiled the show for me (well, what is to come I mean). I also see myself drunk and asking for someone to spoil me. BAD REDFIELD.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I'm inclined to agree that the four listed make the most sense. One way or another, it should be fun!

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
  • JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    Woo hoo! Got my tix today :smile:

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Tri-wizard at least has a thematic reason to split the houses ("tastes great" vs "less filling" in case you didn't read the books). How would SoIaF split houses? Or does it make more sense to just use more houses?

• chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Are the Night's Watch going to be the Nurse Joys?

YoungFrey wrote: »
    Tri-wizard at least has a thematic reason to split the houses ("tastes great" vs "less filling" in case you didn't read the books). How would SoIaF split houses? Or does it make more sense to just use more houses?
    The hard part about having more is producing materials for > 4. I'm not saying it can't be done, but producing some number of 4 things is likely cheaper than some number/2 of 8 things. /shrug. We'll have to wait and see how the organizers work it out.

• bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    Man, I really wish this was at Prime! Have fun!

• Lnrt87Lnrt87 KansasRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely game for this. Don't think the friends that I plan on going with are fans of the book or show but they like drinking so we will see how this goes.

• Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    This was literally the first thread I looked for after buying my tickets Wednesday.

I was a sad alcoholic when I couldn't find it. But now that it's here... well, still a sad alcoholic, but now I get to look forward to being a sad alcoholic, with a THEME!

Excellent choice, by the way.

• CptFancyPantsCptFancyPants Baltimore, MDRegistered User regular
    Had a quick question about how these things normally work. 2 out of our group of 4 are non-drinkers, would they still be able to sign up and participate while the other half of the group carries the drinking?

Had a quick question about how these things normally work. 2 out of our group of 4 are non-drinkers, would they still be able to sign up and participate while the other half of the group carries the drinking?

Based on my experience at Prime, it should be totally fine. I had no problems not drinking during the night.

• embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The name for this is amazing. I can't wait!

So, what would typical dressing up for this be like? Prime has wizard robes and whatnot. East has pokeballs and the like. I'm drawing a blank for GoT.

bYf6vNQ.png
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, what would typical dressing up for this be like? Prime has wizard robes and whatnot. East has pokeballs and the like. I'm drawing a blank for GoT.
    From what I know of Game of Thrones, any combination of naked and/or covered in blood should be appropriate.

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    redfield85 wrote: »

Not too hard, but more elaborate. Just dress like a GoT character. Its not as simple as potter though...that just requires a shirt in the house's color.

Axon on
    Yea, I figure that is what I am going to do. Team themed shirt and possibly an accessory or some sort (that isn't a weapon obviously). This is if my plane gets in on time (which I have yet to book).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Based on my experience at Prime, it should be totally fine. I had no problems not drinking during the night.

As 1 of the 2 in said group that will be carrying the drinking, this answer excites me.

South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
  • SamCiceroSamCicero NYCRegistered User regular
    Definitely interested in this. Crawls are always good fun.

• scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad I'm going to be around for this.

a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    Long time SA resident, if you all need help I am down.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Since the end of January is the dead of winter for many of us, I propose that House Stark be the official house for the Nordic peoples of PAX South. I mean Canadians, European countries with any significant amount of cold, and people from the border states who get actual winter (sit down Washington). Those who enjoy winter but aren't graced with living in such wonderful areas of the world are also welcome.

Afterall, winter is....already here...and goddammit when will it end already?!

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
This discussion has been closed.