As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South [hotels] are live!

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited July 2014 in PAX South
zerzhul on

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    So got a room at the Crockett Hotel because it was closest, anyone ever stayed there before that can speak to conditions?

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    We're at the Crockett, too. We Googled and the place looks beautiful. I was wondering why they had inside chairs outside, but then I remembered Texas doesn't do rain. The 13k+ reviews gave a 4.2/5 rating so it's not a dump. Also, google turned up a bunch of "this is a haunted hotel!" pages. Bahahaha. Awesome.

• Options
    NinjinNinjin ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling the Grand Hyatt is the actual closest, with the Marriott second closest. If you look how they calculate walking distance from the Hyatt to the convention center on the map, it's pretty funny.

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Ninjin wrote: »
    I have a feeling the Grand Hyatt is the actual closest, with the Marriott second closest. If you look how they calculate walking distance from the Hyatt to the convention center on the map, it's pretty funny.

Yeah, I noticed that. OnPeak thinks "2.0 blocks" is less than "0.1 miles" even when it's actually not.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I got the Hyatt its looks to be connected to the center.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I grabbed a room at the Hotel Indigo since it's amazingly cheap and still really close to the convention center. If I bring a friend or two, I'm looking at sub-$200 hotel costs out of my pocket, which is insane compared to how much I'm spending at Prime this year.

Go San Antonio?

Lazorz on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Closest looks to be Grand Hyatt, Marriott-RiverWALK, Marriott-RiverCENTER. The Hilton is really close but I don't think that was an option (on hotels.com it's 199/night). [EDIT - looks like the hilton is there and everything on OnPeak is cheaper than hotels.com, except a RRI that's 5mi away - that's $33/night)

We went with the Crockett because it's a 10min walk and cheap. Personally, I would've gone with the Red Roof Inn because I'm super cheap, but my boyfriend likes unique hotels.

chellers on
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular

Yeah, I noticed that. OnPeak thinks "2.0 blocks" is less than "0.1 miles" even when it's actually not.

Yeah, I had to Google and double check just to make sure before I did it. The Hyatt and Marriott are pretty much right next to the convention center, and the Crockett is a few blocks away. Not terrible by any means, but definitely not the closest.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    chellers wrote: »
    Closest looks to be Grand Hyatt, Marriott-RiverWALK, Marriott-RiverCENTER.

This is exactly it, in that precise order. Grand is connected, Riverwalk is directly across the street, and Rivercenter is one street beyond that. Both Marriott Riverwalk and Rivercenter have access to the actual Riverwalk itself, so you don't have to cross at street level if you would prefer to avoid it.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    I grabbed the Hilton. Close by and I've stayed there before. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

• Options
    I would get a close hotel for the extra cost. I am not sure how it was in San Antonio last winter but I know it got pretty cold in Dallas on up through Arkansas. If we have a bad winter I can see it getting a little chilly there.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    San Antonio weather at the end of January? That shit is going to be tropical for some of us ;)

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    San Antonio weather at the end of January? That shit is going to be tropical for some of us ;)

Yeah, but if some crazy (and I mean crazy) reason it snows, you'll see the city shut down :p

Pins!
  • Options
    Cool, I can go for a nice quiet walk around in a hoodie and jeans :D

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I don't put anything past happening after this last winter in the south. It was crazy, and yes if it even gets a little bit icy down here everything shuts down.

• Options
    Cool, I can go for a nice quiet walk around in a hoodie and jeans :D

In general, that'll get you by perfectly. You could count the number of days you'd need something heavier on your digits.

Pins!
  • Options
    gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    Just a note that the Wyndham Garden San Antonio, while further out, is also very convenient. Its on a newer portion of the Riverwalk and its a nice 20 minute walk to the convention center.

• Options
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    I would get a close hotel for the extra cost. I am not sure how it was in San Antonio last winter but I know it got pretty cold in Dallas on up through Arkansas. If we have a bad winter I can see it getting a little chilly there.

What temperature is chilly? In my New England mind, I put it around 65 for Texas, which is still pretty darn warm.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I'd say the freezing point (32F) is the benchmark "cold" temp for most of Texas (the panhandle, meanwhile, is laughing hysterically). Any time there's a threat of ice is when the weathermen breakout the special graphics.

Chilly...I dunno, 40s with a heavy breeze? :O

Edit: I suppose some people might say 40-50s is considered a noticeable point for low temps but I tend to look at the bad spurts that BadNews65 is referring to. When we get a winter storm it'll drop temps by 20-30 degrees overnight. Or in one crazy case around DFW earlier this year, 60+ degrees in a matter of hours during the afternoon/evening.

orthancstone on
    Pins!
  • Options
    I can only speak for Arkansas. We start getting cold in the lower 50's. We had times this past winter that got down to the single digits and lower. Normally we can get by most days with out a heavy coat, but that wasn't the case for us this past season. Texas stays a bit warmer than we do though.

• Options
    Chilly...I dunno, 40s with a heavy breeze? :O

So just slightly below perfect? Gotcha.

• Options
    Jonbo298Jonbo298 IowaRegistered User new member

Looking at accuweather for January temps in San Antonio, the season can't make up its mind.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/san-antonio-tx/78205/month/351198?monyr=1/01/2014

So I guess pack both a hoodie and shorts. Tropical for Iowa standards in January.

• Options
    Yeah I'll have my down fill coat in tow since I'll be wearing that at home. Landing in Houston I'd imagine is going to result in insta-strip of thick layers.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Menger booked. 99% sure I am now locked in to going to South after buying tickets "just in case." Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Last year it was realllllly cold here in Austin around that time (cold for Texas, anyway) - we had 30-40 degree days here in January.

pax primer @ <3
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    Jonbo298 wrote: »

Looking at accuweather for January temps in San Antonio, the season can't make up its mind.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/san-antonio-tx/78205/month/351198?monyr=1/01/2014

So I guess pack both a hoodie and shorts. Tropical for Iowa standards in January.

San Antonio is further south than Dallas and typically much warmer than the other Texas cities. A bad cold front can push temps down, but I'm betting it will be 70ish for the con.

• Options
    SpikeguySpikeguy Registered User regular
    This is my first PAX so I'm pretty excited. I plan to drive into the city and get a hotel close enough to walk to the event. Does anyone know if there are areas I should avoid due to crime rates or have any traffic tips?

• Options
    Axon wrote: »
    but I'm betting it will be 70ish for the con.

Betting on Texas weather? That's bold!

Pins!
  • Options
    MyaSharonaMyaSharona Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Texas in January 'aint no thang' if you're from anywhere else. This was my first year in Texas and even in January with the ice and stuff we had in Dallas, it wasn't that bad (I'm from much further north - ie Toronto). It was just cold enough to keep things frozen.
    If you've stood in line to get into PaxEast in the sub temps with the ocean winds, this should seem a [warm] breeze.
    The hotels are all so much closer to the convention site than they are in Boston, I can't wait for the 6 minute walk!

MyaSharona on
  • Options
    Yeah looking at the distance between hotel and con, I'd at best need my mail getting wardrobe. It simply consists of my winter coat, shorts, and flip-flops.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    FADEFADE Registered User new member
    I used Travago and found a great deal at the Riverside Suites. Looks like an apartment on the Riverwalk and was only $109 a night. Only a few blocks away too.

Quakecon: 2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014......
    FADECON: FOR LIFE!
    Pax South: 2015
  • Options
    CresendoCresendo Part-Time Crimefighter HoustonRegistered User regular
    So I thought OnPeak was suppose to cut deals with PAX attendees? Less than 2 weeks ago, the price at the Hyatt, which is connected to the convention center was at 159. Now it's over 200? I luckily secured my hotel just after the announcement and I am glad I did. It seems a got a way better deal than what's on OnPeak.

"Great's okay, but amazing would be great."
  • Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I've found that the prices on OnPeak are better in some cases when all taxes an fees are accounted for. Otherwise some of the prices do look very similar.

All in all though, the sheer number of budget hotels within walking distance of convention center make it a bit different from PAX East and Prime. There are a lot of reasonable deals out there without needing to use OnPeak. Because of this I shopped which hotel I'd prefer to stay at within my budget, then compared the price between OnPeak and Trivago and wen't with whichever deal was better. Personally I'm staying at the Springhill Suites, which had a better deal on OnPeak.

sacratoy on
    PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If nothing else, OnPeak keeps blocks of rooms reserved for PAX specifically, so that other folks are less likely to fill up the close hotels on that weekend.

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    After the polar vortex I experienced in Chicago, I'm ready for anything.

Anyway- I booked Red Roof In for me and my buddy. We are looking to be as cheap as possible. A 1/2 mile walk is nothing for us. Looking forward to this weekend.

This space for rent
  • Options
    KoToKoTo Monterrey, MéxicoRegistered User regular
    Booked at Red Roof Inn 'cause I'm poor and it was the cheapest one available :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I hope it is at least ok

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    KoTo wrote: »
    Booked at Red Roof Inn 'cause I'm poor and it was the cheapest one available :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I hope it is at least ok

I read some reviews and it seems like 70/30 in the positive. It has free wi-fi so I'm fine with it. Hopefully we get enough people to have a game night or two.

This space for rent
  • Options
    Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    Staying at Hotel Contessa from Thursday through Monday.

• Options
    KoToKoTo Monterrey, MéxicoRegistered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    KoTo wrote: »

I read some reviews and it seems like 70/30 in the positive. It has free wi-fi so I'm fine with it. Hopefully we get enough people to have a game night or two.

My buddy and I, and I know of a group of 4 here from my city that's staying at that Inn as well, but I agree, I hope it gets flooded with PAXers to throw a good party!

• Options
    kupkakezkupkakez Austin, TXRegistered User new member
    I'll be staying at the Grand Hyatt making the short drive after work that Friday from Austin. ^_^