As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ArcheAge] Sate your inner criminal. Early Release! Ollo Server! West/Nuia Ho!

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    still hoping to get a beta invite for this

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    When the Beta hits I will do a massive update as I will be playing again. As it sits right now I am not trying to get burned out on it by overplaying already. :)

• JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    I just found out about this game, and my curiosity is piqued. Looks like an offspring of WoW and EVE, delivered by SWG midwife.

Am I correct to think that a closed beta will start sometimes this week? I think I want to buy the $50 package for closed beta access, but I'm not sure when I would be able to play. Also, any PA still playing alpha, or planning to play the beta?

Last I heard the Beta was delayed because there is a new base patch to the game that they will now localize before release.

That's too bad. I guess I will have to wait a few weeks more.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Soo..why does signup require your first and last name?
    Anyone?

• ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Not sure why the ask for first and last. I haven't seen them use my last name for anything. Just put something random in there. Smith.

Looks like closed beta will start mid- to late- July.

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/06/preparing-archeage-for-version-1-2-on-alpha-beta-and-beyond/

Kind of sucks that the beta events will only be open for few days at a time.

Yeah from what I heard they will continue to give Alpha players unlimited access while Betas will be a wildstar style beta weekend thing. To be honest I am not playing the game much anymore because I do not want to burn out on it with a character who will most likely be destroyed or moved to PTR at release.

Closed beta starts on the 17th.

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/07/archeage-closed-beta-starts-july-17/

I think I will buy the 50$ pack. If the game keeps me interested for a month the money won't be wasted. Anything past the first month will be a bonus.

I was curious about the game, so tried the Japanese version last week. My Japanese is very poor, but good enough to mess with the game for a bit. The game runs very smooth and looks wonderful. It also has great music and sound effects. I was somewhat disappointed with the character creation, the options were rather limited.
    The game itself looked and played like traditional MMO, but very well done. The crafting options were amazing, although I am not sure how much do you have to grind to get the crating mats, especially for crafting of end game gear. Haven't tried the pvp or sailing yet, that's something I will need to try in the NA beta.

If Trion will be reasonable with the in game store and F2P options, the NA version of the game should be fun to play.

The game does look very good for one that is not brand new. I would say the character creation is actually above average. It has more options than Wildstar for example. But in the end facial customization only reallly shows up in selfies anyway. To answer your questions the crafting requires a pretty big grind to complete if you do not AH them. Most of the armorsmithing I tried required "DE" mats from armors. And from what I saw those are needed for most crafting. Cooking requires you have your farm up and play farmville as well.

Trion did Rift proper. If I was at all interested in the world I might still be playing it now. So there is reason enough to hope they will do Rift proper.

Several sites have beta code giveaway. I got mine from:

https://www.rixty.com/publisher/name/archeage

For now I'll pass on buying the game, and just wait to see the beta.

• GooglywormGooglyworm Registered User regular
    Had a good few chuckles with this series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBwLZSi7I-Q

Really can't wait for Archage, hopefully it will have good PA presence.

edited July 2014
    On one hand, I want to be a pirate.

On the other hand, if that were to happen I'd be the Butt Pirate.

edit
    I got a beta code, and applied it..so I guess I wait until beta day then launch glyph to install it? No way to preload it now?

Buttcleft on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Googlyworm wrote: »

Amazing video.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • TheRealTimesplitterTheRealTimesplitter Registered User regular
    Googlyworm wrote: »

Great video!
    I signed up on the official site and hope i can get in the beta.

edited July 2014
    So the game have good physics for ships, some ships have grappling hooks, and there are also airships. You know where I'm going with this, right? (Best part starts at 12m 30sec).

http://youtu.be/k7HWHwiuW08?t=12m35s

JohanFlick on
  • DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    The sailing!

It has single-handedly helped get a couple of my friends completely on board with trying this game out.

edited July 2014
    Boys and Girls check your emails, downloading has begun.

be prepared though, its like 22gigs

Buttcleft on
    Yay a fresh group of people! I may jump on this weekend and we can try to get a group of people together for newbie funs! Is there a general like, dislike, in the thread for faction? I will put up a straw poll for initial interest in the OP.

http://strawpoll.me/2129243

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I don't think I got an invite :<

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited July 2014
    I just want to sail the seas and fire cannons at people.

I basically just want to pull a Davy Jones and only set foot on land once every ten years.

Buttcleft on
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Yay a fresh group of people! I may jump on this weekend and we can try to get a group of people together for newbie funs! Is there a general like, dislike, in the thread for faction? I will put up a straw poll for initial interest in the OP.

http://strawpoll.me/2129243

A lifetime of being raised on eastern influences make it impossible for me to not play a catgirl... I'm not proud of my decision, but I have come to terms with it.

Beta access has been delayed an hour.

edited July 2014
    For the beta if you guys want a guild we can make one. I am unsure how many we have in though as I have only seen one other post they were in. I will not be able to jump on till later though and I am pretty sure I can fund a guild tag if need be. Otherwise I would say enjoy your beta time and we can get everything situated for early release/production.

lol. Checking out the beta on some streams. Looks like 90% of the people are starting out Archery. And looks to be TONS of people in the starting zone for just the Harani.

Jubal77 on
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I started Harani and its so bad that you literally cant move at times (because you cant phase through other players)

But I have to say, the game is fucking astonishingly amazing, if for no other fact that I was in the starting area with 50 billion people and my game ran like goddamn butter off a Teflon ass, That makes it a top contender to play alone for me.

Buttcleft on
    I'm really enjoying it so far. The character animations are fantastic, which is always something that I nitpick about. Particularly the jump and idle animations I've seen so far. I wish I could take some screenshots of them, but they just don't work if not in motion.

Not much else to say, as I didn't get too much a chance to wander about before getting DC'd. The classes are baffling to me. I want to do something with battlerage, and my mind keeps telling me to put defense with it, but then I'm just kind of lost. I like the idea of archery being my third, but I haven't been able to find anyone really that rolls that. Seems like everyone and their dog who does what I'm looking into goes battlerage/defense/shadowplay. The system reminds me basically of Rift, but way more horrifying because I don't think I understand it as well.

I went archer because ehh, I've only got 7 days and I want to get to the point as fast as possible to where I can hopefully build a boat.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter, being beta and all, so I should just mess around with stuff. More just concerned about getting a build that I like, but then realizing it isn't viable for defending myself in PvP.

I rarely play open PvP games, so I'm not particularly well versed in it.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Got an email telling me the closed beta started and I could totally be in it for the low low price of a founder's pack.

Tempting but beyond idle curiosity I'd need to actually try the game before I put any money on it. It'd have to be pretty awesome to pull me away from other games atm.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited July 2014
    To answer some questions:
    I'm really enjoying it so far. The character animations are fantastic, which is always something that I nitpick about. Particularly the jump and idle animations I've seen so far. I wish I could take some screenshots of them, but they just don't work if not in motion.

Not much else to say, as I didn't get too much a chance to wander about before getting DC'd. The classes are baffling to me. I want to do something with battlerage, and my mind keeps telling me to put defense with it, but then I'm just kind of lost. I like the idea of archery being my third, but I haven't been able to find anyone really that rolls that. Seems like everyone and their dog who does what I'm looking into goes battlerage/defense/shadowplay. The system reminds me basically of Rift, but way more horrifying because I don't think I understand it as well.

Take a look at the "combo" system when working with your base class. That is where you will start to build up what you want to do. And do not be afraid of mixing and matching. Most classes have a "resource" to them. And most classes have abilities that either can consume or modify other classes resources. It is a pretty interesting system. Just read through the tool tips and have fun!
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I went archer because ehh, I've only got 7 days and I want to get to the point as fast as possible to where I can hopefully build a boat.

Building a boat is no quick task. You will need to rush to your farm and start planting trees. You will need to work on mining to get your stone as you have to make two stone trade packs. You will have to juggle, leveling to get the stars, grabbing wood from the world WHENEVER you see it, and once you get that done rotate out cotton on your farm as fast as you can. You should get enough stars at the lvl 30 story quest. Or you can get stars by flying on top of stuff. But doing that on a basic glider, you will not get a better one till the 20s, can be problematic. TIP: You can also use the empty spaces around your trees, for cotton or whatever you need, if you position them at the extreme corners of your farm.
    Yeah, it really doesn't matter, being beta and all, so I should just mess around with stuff. More just concerned about getting a build that I like, but then realizing it isn't viable for defending myself in PvP.

I rarely play open PvP games, so I'm not particularly well versed in it.

You don't have to worry about open PVP until you get 30+. The red zones on the map are where you can be killed any time. The other zones you have to activate PVP in order to be killed. So you are safe until you move on past the beginner zones.

Jubal77 on
    so what you're saying is I'm not getting a boat unless I buy founders and extend my beta time, or wait for release.

Also, I didn't have much experience with labor points..but something tells me I'm not going to like the system, especially considering that they don't regen when logged out.

edited July 2014
    They must not have put you guys on premium then? For non premium accounts you regen 1 point every 5 minutes while logged in. With premium you get 5 points every 5 minutes even when you are logged out. Did they put in the mechanism to "buy" premium to test it out?

Jubal77 on
    edited July 2014
    Okay.

So first day, I have no complaints about the game itself. But its also a Asian import and they get super terribly grindy after lvl30-40, also I'm super super leery about this labor point thing and how its a shared pool between ALL characters.

My only real complaint is that they didn't put up enough Beta servers, so theres a crush of players making questing almost impossible, especially in areas where you have to murder mobs or pick up something that disappears and respawns (Like the Map fragment quest you get at the oasis)

But I don't hold that against the game itself.

Buttcleft on
    Seems they are adding two new servers:

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?17354-Additional-Beta-Servers-Launching

I'm still at work and won't be able to play for the next few hours, hopefully it will be less crowded when I finally get a chance to play.

I am so far suitably entertained by AA. I haven't even really left the starting gate areas to get to what feels like the real meat of the game, but something is clicking with me. I just feel like I have actual choices in what I want to be doing at about any given time. I think coming off of FFXIV (which I'm still playing) helps AA's case too. XIV is very controlled and small in comparison, so it's nice to play an MMO that is open again, both in the physical map and systems.

I am also pleased that the combat is not near as bad as I had heard. Which I should have expected, since most people will say a combat system is crap if it doesn't have active dodging these days.

The labor point system is fine with Patron status, but I'm a bit worried by accounts I've heard from others. Can't really speak on it much since I don't have direct experience, but I'm hoping it won't gate out too many people that want to play.

I wont pay 50 dollars to be a beta tester, but i'll definitely play it when it comes out to play.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Ugh. I have such a swg itch and this looks like the ticket. I'm very tempted to buy the silver pack but the first beta event ends tomorrow :[

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    After watching some videos for this game I'm fairly interested in it. Will definitely give it a try when it comes out.

A friend and myself ended up getting to the last boss of the Palace Cellars, he as a 19 Demonologist, and myself a 20 Blighter. The first boss gave us a bit of a run for our money until we realized how easy it was to dodge her attacks, second we killed on the first go, but the last one... too much damage for a two man group without a real source of heals.

I was impressed with how well we did though. Not sure if the dungeons are just easier than I was expecting or we had a good combo going with our classes. It was fun though, and really time consuming.

This discussion has been closed.