As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

1383940414244»

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Wow, what an incredibly douchey post. That doesn't make me want to bother patching up this game again. The last time I played it the loot situation was dumb and the greatly reduced odds on orange drops from ark boxes had already left me feeling like there was no more progress for me to make (short of hammering nails into my dick, which is what trying to get orange gear now is).

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Which is shame because the show is doing very interesting things this season.

My biggest problem with loot is that some gun types were clearly superior to others, and every change to that didn't seem to do shit aside from weaken everyone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I like the show! This season has been pretty interesting so far. Really like the new character Berlin; that Han Solo rant... man. Just noticed that I'm missing it right now, but I guess I'll catch the repeat or watch it online when it's available. Been playing Guacamelee <3

I think I've used a battery to help call down a major once because it feels like a waste to spend all that time fighting a boss just to chip 25% of his life off, and now it's even less of an appealing option. In game, there's generally been one or two players that pop the locks early, the rest wait without prompting, which makes me wonder who this majority is. This game is truly a spectacle. Fortunately, I'm almost to 5000 EGO so I can start to work on getting in Expert co-ops so I can grind those dailies out to 100% it... but yeesh. Trion's actions really seem like they want to fail...

edit: this timer change too is largely pointless because if one person really wanted to shoot the locks, nobody in the instance can stop them anyway. it's just... baffling.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They probably didn't like that people could "cheese" the event to increase their chances of legendaries.

I will say this about the show, it's the first time I've ever seen someone get a golden shower on television.

I will say this about the show, it's the first time I've ever seen someone get a golden shower on television.

I feel like they are trying too hard with the constant explicit sex this season, trying to cash in more on GoT? Or am I mis-remembering and first season was just as bad?

Morkath wrote: »

I feel like they are trying too hard with the constant explicit sex this season, trying to cash in more on GoT? Or am I mis-remembering and first season was just as bad?

There were a lot of sleazy scenes in season 1. I'm not really sure whether it's more or less now, but the tone hasn't changed.

Has the former mayor really been reduced to a druggie prostitute in this season?

Am I interpreting this scene right? I knew her dead sister was the town whore, but I have to say I didn't see her sister stepping into those shoes, whether fired as mayor or not. :#

edited July 2014
    They probably didn't like that people could "cheese" the event to increase their chances of legendaries.

IDK, "cheesing" the event in the form of inviting like 40+ people or whatever is one thing, but it's possible to get to the start of the Warmaster with less than half the required people to actually win the fight. Due to how the matchmaking works in the game, there's not even a guarantee that you'll wind up with the same people from the phase you entered the WM instance from too... or, at least on the Xbox you might have to retry because it errors out when trying to join the instance, and there's that timer to get in as well.

Throw in the fact that even with a full party (24 or more) there's no guarantee of winning anyway and it's just becomes an encounter that seems to be designed to be unwinnable at this point. Waiting increases the odds of winning slightly. It also has the added benefit of not forcing you to spend the next seven minutes doing minimal damage and/or getting killed over and over again. The other thing is, the locks can still be destroyed before the 3:00 minute timer expires. Plus, actually killing the Warmaster doesn't automatically mean you get legendary loot. Additionally, a person who didn't buy the DLC that allows the encounter to start can join, and a person who didn't expend their own resources to call down the arkfall can also join and rush the whole thing out, and it's just... a really bad decision on top of a poorly worded presentation.

If they fix the Warmaster to actually scale properly to the number of players present, then I suppose it won't be as terrible of a decision (this should have been done at the same time as introducing the timer). But as it is, they've managed to alienate their core fans, and potentially cause even more disdain toward the F2P and "low ego" population than there was before, and disincentivize players from using the DLC that they paid for. They even gave it legs by providing their community with labels for the dichotomy.

and... I didn't get a chance to watch the episode. Will do it tomorrow. I thought they toned back the sex though as compared to the first season though. As far as she's concerned, her sister ran off and Nolan did too at the end of season one, she lost her job (it being an elected position making that harder), and then the very thing she was trying to prevent (the E-Rep taking over) happens... I imagine that's why she wound up on the drugs.

edit2: also, their patch broke on the Xbox 360 and after a extended delay they told us to fix it you have to clear your system cache, which means you lose your patches for every other game too... it's not their night.

tastydonuts on
    Oh I'm sorry if I gave anything away then, I figured with them airing this week's episode pretty much each night everyone but me had seen it (I just saw it tonight). It's a good episode, lots of stuff happens.

One thing I like about the show is that the plot moves. It is not one of those annoying shows that either drags the story out to ridiculous length or resets everything constantly to maintain the status quo.

Has the former mayor really been reduced to a druggie prostitute in this season?

Am I interpreting this scene right? I knew her dead sister was the town whore, but I have to say I didn't see her sister stepping into those shoes, whether fired as mayor or not. :#

She was brought pretty low, she lost to Datak, then lost the town, then lost her sister. I figure the drugging and the whoring is just "Fuck it lets do what's pleasureable and forget everything else."

Kind of terrified about the rape plot line, I mean on one hand it at least explains one really dark as plot thread from season 1, but on the other hand most writers handle rape so badly. Amanda as a character makes sense in that she would have kept on trucking, but I hope it doesn't define her character, because that would suck.

And you aren't joking about moving shit along, last night had two moments where I thought "Ah come on don't do that" and both had a pay off of "Holy shit thats wow."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    No worries, "there's a sex scene and possibly drugs" is a spoiler for every episode of Defiance to date. :p

They really did move that plot along hardcore. Hope they keep it up. I think the other bit is going to tie heavily into the game too, with the new enemy faction and all that.

They generally have moved the plot along, they even did that in season 1, whatever else can be said about the show. Clearly they understand holding actions are retarded and a show with a short season, shouldn't delay too much.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    How's the game going now that it's gone free? I played it a bit a long while ago and ran into the problem of not having anyone around to help with right missions. Also I'm not to far along and I think that's what is hampering me as everyone I'd flying past me as I explore and generally play the game like I do Skyrim.

50433.png?1708759015
    Preacher wrote: »
    They generally have moved the plot along, they even did that in season 1, whatever else can be said about the show. Clearly they understand holding actions are retarded and a show with a short season, shouldn't delay too much.

Yeah, but I can't think of a show that wrapped up the arc they had going within so few episodes, especially with a crime family. I like that they did it that way. Though the reasoning behind it make sense.
    Why would somebody partner with a person who actively betrayed them? It also seems that not killing Stahma and such, as his father would have done, seem like the correct course of action given the outcome.

It is also a little disappointing that:
    Berlin is more of a faux action girl, but she's shown to be a noncombat officer, so... idk. Her worfing Irisa just seems odd now.

The nod to VBI was neat too.

Banzai5150 wrote: »
    How's the game going now that it's gone free? I played it a bit a long while ago and ran into the problem of not having anyone around to help with right missions. Also I'm not to far along and I think that's what is hampering me as everyone I'd flying past me as I explore and generally play the game like I do Skyrim.

I started playing in May on the Xbox and I'd say that it's okay. There's a lot to be improved on, and the situation doesn't seem to be getting better just yet. There is the expansion coming, and everything could change, but per my previous post from the devs I don't place much confidence in them.

If you're low level and there's a higher level player in immediate area of an event you're in, it would get scaled up, along with your gear. If you don't keep your weapons close to your current level you won't benefit as much from the scaling. For instance if you're level 100 and your guns are level 50 and the encounter scales up to be a level 4000 encounter, the gear that you'd be using would be the equivalent of level 2000, which while it is a lot better than fighting a level 4000 mob with level 50 gear, still puts you at a disadvantage.

In the open world, you might run into people from time to time, particularly if it's a daily. The instanced Co-op missions are rarely done since there's no incentive (eg: map specific loot) to do so. You can shoot mans just the same outdoors, or get into a scale co-op battle via arkfalls and such, without waiting for an instance to start. That's one of the gameplay weaknesses of the game. It may be addressed with their 2.0 updates (there's a new land mass and factions and other improvements promised), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Berlin stuff made sense, she's not a soldier like Nolan or even Tommy, she's a techie, but she also wasn't going to go out with a fight, so she kept trying to fight even when the odds were not in her favor.

Datak was an idiot, but it plays into his character, he's always been an idiot, Stahma was always the power behind his throne, and now he's come to figure that out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2014
    The Berlin stuff made sense, she's not a soldier like Nolan or even Tommy, she's a techie, but she also wasn't going to go out with a fight, so she kept trying to fight even when the odds were not in her favor.

Datak was an idiot, but it plays into his character, he's always been an idiot, Stahma was always the power behind his throne, and now he's come to figure that out.

From the latest episode...
    Why didn't they kill Datak? He is a sociopath who takes revenge at every slight and has maimed and or tried/threatened to kill all of them. So they beat him up then throw him in an alley? Like he isn't going to go after them?

e:
    Really feels like a case of plot armor, which is kind of annoying.

Morkath on
    It's totally plot armor. Those casthians aren't stupid. They wouldn't leave Datak alive, and he absolutely will come back and punish them all horribly at some point in the future, which they would all be totally aware of. Adding to that the fact that at this point they could kill him and the authorities wouldn't care in the slightest (they would be silently cheered by many, in fact) and it's obviously plot armor.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

She was brought pretty low, she lost to Datak, then lost the town, then lost her sister. I figure the drugging and the whoring is just "Fuck it lets do what's pleasureable and forget everything else."

Let's be honest, she has had a super shitty 9 months. She lost a legitimate election to a crime lord due to corruption, who immediately turned the town over to the E-Rep. At the same time, her sister vanished, without any idea by anybody as to where she went. Then probably the one person she felt comfortable taking solace from (Nolan), leaves to find Irisa. That makeshift prison out of town? That's all Defiance citizens, people she was charged with caring for, and I guarantee you they aren't all outright criminals like Datak. Look what happened to Joseph and his brother. She hasn't been shown to be outright whoring, though, just running the business.

After all that, only taking over a (morally grey) business and developing a space crack habit would be handling it pretty well.

From the latest episode...
    Why didn't they kill Datak? He is a sociopath who takes revenge at every slight and has maimed and or tried/threatened to kill all of them. So they beat him up then throw him in an alley? Like he isn't going to go after them?

e:
    Really feels like a case of plot armor, which is kind of annoying.

tbf,
    He didn't kill either of them when he had a chance either. They're still family. It's highly likely that they wanted to but Stahma told them no.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Wow, cool to see this thread active again. Glad to have a spot to talk about the events in the new season too, especially with each episode so far having a nod to the game in one way or the other. Just to remind you all, the start of the proper Season 2 story in the game, 'Alter EGO' kicks off tomorrow which seems to include access to the new area. If you haven't done so yet, you might wanna finish the Season 1 story as even the patch notes themselves are pretty spoilish over a certain plot point from the original mission-line.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Steam thread is having a Gaming Night tonight, if anyone wants to join us. We'll be making a massive group at 9pm Eastern, 6pm Pacific and scourging across the countryside. Look for me in game (corrigan) at that time to get grouped up with us.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • TrepperTrepper Registered User regular
    Anyone still playing this? :(

I haven't played in a while. I got hit with the "no text chat" bug on the Xbox 360 version and it never really got resolved so I gradually drifted to other games. It's been a few patches though, so I might fire it up again. Would totally play it if they ported over to the Xbox One though, and my text chat worked.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Last time I fired it up on a slight whim a few months back the server lag was so atrocious as to make the more boring then I remember gameplay and mostly empty of other players starting area all the more grating.

No idea if the show is any good or still going on via Syfy but this game's mostly a dud in my book. A marketing team sales pitch phoned in for Trion's portfolio so it wouldn't look so lean with just RIFT and slapping localization on Archeage.

488W936.png