As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pa comic] Friday, July 11th, 2014 - Dobber

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Sterica on

• Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Somewhere in this comic is a meta-commentary on how children get addicted to drugs.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Mike is getting closer to those children's books, but something tells me they might have trouble finding a publisher right now.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Not exactly Watterson, is it.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aahahaha, this one's great. This, the Lil' Pilot one, just the best <3

Oh brilliant
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I love that Penny Arcade sometimes springs these nice surprises on us. Top stuff all around here, like an anti-calvin & Hobbes.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Maybe Gabe the Younger or Elliot is in their imaginary friend phase and Mike/Jerry wanted to do a comic about it? Either way, I want a podcast on this.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I need 100cc's of context, stat!

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    This strip was cute and sweet, then it had a last panel.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »

That's what makes it so awesome. Cute and sweet, but then they remind you "This is Penny-Arcade!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PaulToompasPaulToompas Registered User new member

The part where the imaginary friend is trying to convince the kid that his parents are imaginary seemed a little dark to me too.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm a god damn honey badger Dobber

Dobber don't give a fuck

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

The part where the imaginary friend is trying to convince the kid that his parents are imaginary seemed a little dark to me too.

I thought he was using that to say that the "never seen him, therefore imaginary" line of logic is flawed.

• civenciven Registered User new member
    In the first panel, I can't help but see Dobber as a strange, square headed monster with really long legs that wears its pants around its knees.

I stared at the first panel for a while trying to figure out what was happening. Had to read through the comic then go back to see what was really going on.

• Young_ScottYoung_Scott Registered User new member
    Hah, I was pretty taken aback when I read the title of the strip. Here in Scotland, "Dobber" is "a slang word referring to the male genitalia", while in Australia, it apparently is "a derogatory term for somebody who reports people to the authorities for (usually minor or socially acceptable) wrongdoings".

Still, cute comic.

• wonkots42wonkots42 Registered User regular
    @young_scott, that's the only thing I could think of too. Now I'm imagining this big orange guy stoatin' aboot Glasgow on a Friday night and somebody shouting at him: "Ma parents ur so real, ya dobber!"

That sentence was really hard to write: autocorrect just really refused to let some of those words go.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    wonkots42 wrote: »
    @young_scott, that's the only thing I could think of too. Now I'm imagining this big orange guy stoatin' aboot Glasgow on a Friday night and somebody shouting at him: "Ma parents ur so real, ya dobber!"

That sentence was really hard to write: autocorrect just really refused to let some of those words go.

to be fair, i don't thinks that's something you've got to imagine, though its usually a different type of orangeman and its probably best we don't get into what's being shouted. :p

yes, this thread is certainly going to interesting places folks. :)

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    what?

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    wonkots42 wrote: »

http://youtu.be/5FFRoYhTJQQ

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • ShayMayShayMay Registered User regular
    "And here, interpreting for the neds, is Rab McGlinchey!"

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    what?

this is a perfectly natural reaction to what is happening. that confusion you're feeling is perfectly normal and will pass once the wild Scots have dispersed.

• dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    This is to Tycho from my wallet/bank account.

"Please stop recommending new games! Stop the bleeding!"

Thank you.

I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hah, I was pretty taken aback when I read the title of the strip. Here in Scotland, "Dobber" is "a slang word referring to the male genitalia"
    I think I'd be more surprised if the name wasn't intentional.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The cynical part of me says this kind of pandering to a personal belief despite all evidence to the contrary is how we get anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers.

Then I kicked the cynical part of me in the balls because it deserved it.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Kagera wrote: »
    The cynical part of me says this kind of pandering to a personal belief despite all evidence to the contrary is how we get anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers.

No, the cynical part of you is right.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Things start getting bad when you have reason to doubt the evidence of your senses.

• streeverstreever Registered User regular

Nah, anti-vaxxers are confirming their identity as counter-culture people; that's why you can't logically convince them to drop the nutty ideologies.

Children with imaginary friends can, and will, drop their imaginary friends.

Imaginary friends are a phase. Anti-vax/climate-change denialism is just a clear sign that someone should be fenced in and excluded from regular population.

• MarkBMarkB Registered User new member
    Oh, so that's what Minions look like when they grow up.

Minion.jpg

streever wrote: »

Nah, anti-vaxxers are confirming their identity as counter-culture people; that's why you can't logically convince them to drop the nutty ideologies.

Children with imaginary friends can, and will, drop their imaginary friends.

Imaginary friends are a phase. Anti-vax/climate-change denialism is just a clear sign that someone should be fenced in and excluded from regular population.
    This "Dobber" appears to be less of an imaginary friend and more of a massive hallucination.

• CrobdergCrobderg Registered User new member
    Been watching too much Moone Boy?

Crobderg wrote: »
    Been watching too much Moone Boy?
    I don't actually watch that show.
    Perhaps it was just me, but I definitely never thought my imaginary friends were real.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's a comic. Move on with your life.

edited July 2014
    my bad thought this was the pa comic discussion subforum
    OH GOD PLEASE DON'T BAN ME
    but seriously why this seems like an appropriate place for this discussion

cB557 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You don't think casting a kid in a cartoon with an imaginary friend in the same light as a bunch of real-life hateful and opportunistic mob-mentality reactionaries is a bit... i dunno, out of proportion?

You must be a hit with parents who tell their kids about Santa Claus.

• Spoon1Spoon1 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I thought he was using that to say that the "never seen him, therefore imaginary" line of logic is flawed.

Definitely and obviously this ^^ in a "just joshing" kind of way. Just look at the expression on Dobber's face :)

KalTorak wrote: »
    You don't think casting a kid in a cartoon with an imaginary friend in the same light as a bunch of real-life hateful and opportunistic mob-mentality reactionaries is a bit... i dunno, out of proportion?

Again:
    Perhaps it was just me, but I definitely never thought my imaginary friends were real.
    I'm operating under the assumption that this isn't just some imaginary friend, and instead is a massive hallucination.
    Also, I'm not saying that this kid is like a climate change denier, I'm saying that having "It's okay to delude yourself if it makes you happy" as a moral does subtly encourage that sort of behavior.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Whew. Again something I thought was going to be a PA Feels™ comic (which never do anything for me) took a last second swerve to comedy. Well played.

Again:
    I'm operating under the assumption that this isn't just some imaginary friend, and instead is a massive hallucination.
    Also, I'm not saying that this kid is like a climate change denier, I'm saying that having "It's okay to delude yourself if it makes you happy" as a moral does subtly encourage that sort of behavior.

It's not a moral. No one is reading this to learn how to live their lives. It's a cute gag about kid's and their imaginary friends.

streever wrote: »

Again:

It's not a moral. No one is reading this to learn how to live their lives. It's a cute gag about kid's and their imaginary friends.
    I'd... I'd say it's a moral. It's not from a work that people look to for its morals, but it's a moral nonetheless. And again with the imaginary friend thing. I'm operating under the assumption that this is a delusion as opposed to a normal imaginary friend.
    Alright, if this debate is going to work, we're either going to have to debate the imaginary friend/hallucination point, and if we decide it is a halluctination or whatever, get back to this discussion, or we can assume it is a hallucination to do this a little faster. Either way is fine with with me, it depends on whether or not you think the imaginary friend point.

It's not a moral.

Morals are concerned with ethical behavior & good vs wrong. Children believing in imaginary friends is not a moralistic issue.

This is a non-issue which you are nit-picking for no real reason. This does not translate into climate change denialism; this is a child believing in an imaginary friend which will clearly end with pubescence. It does not apply to science, the scientific method, rational thought, or logical processes. It's just a kid being a kid.

So... is that going with option 1 or option 2? Kinda looks like option one but never hurts to be sure.