As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Computer: 8 gbs RAM or 16 gbs RAM?

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
Making a gaming computer and I was wondering if 8 gbs is good enough, or should I go with the extra 8 gbs for 16 gbs total

oHw5R0V.jpg

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    8 should be fine, assuming you're getting a mobo that's not real small form factor just get a 2x4GB kit so if you really felt like you needed to expand it'd be cheap and easy to do so.

Unless you plan on running a bunch of VMs or doing 3D modeling, in which case cram as much in as you can afford.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    8 gigs is still heaps for gaming and most tasks. Newer versions of Windows (7,8,8.1) are much better with memory management than XP and Vista were, too. And if you're putting an SSD in your system (which you absolutely should unless you're destitute), caching is way faster too.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    For gaming RAM is pretty much the least important thing. It'll shorten loading times thats about it.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    memory is also cheap and simple to install, so you can easily go to 16 down the road if for some reason you need to

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    I'm also on the "get 2x4GB DIMMs and expand later if needed" bandwagon. Gaming doesn't need more than that anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Get a single 8gb, then one day you can go to 32gb. efff dual channel

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    If you're just gaming then yeah, 8 is fine.

That sure as shit didn't stop me from shoving a stick into every slot on my mobo though. RAM is so crazy cheap that it fell right into the "fuck it, why not" category.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    However if you're doing multitasking and the multitasking uses lots of memory (maybe you are doing video editing or something), you'd want maybe more than 8. But barely.

If you're doing virtual machines though... fuck it, why not?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Get 64 gigs and run everything off of RAMdisk.