As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

APC ES 650 advice

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
I've owned this bad boy for a number of years, bought it from circuit city. Here's what happens when I turn it on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8o_EoGQNuE

Do I need to buy a new battery or is the whole thing junk?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Video is private.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fuck

edit: Fixed

RoyceSraphim on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I have the same UPS. I still can't tell what's going in your video, but I thought the battery was dead and bought a replacement. I put in the replacement and it won't hold a charge, so I suspect the charging circuit is burned out. I'd just buy a new one.

ASimPerson on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...What is that thing and what does it do (when it's not broken)?

With Love and Courage
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The manual makes it seem like the battery is old and dead and needs replaced.

Replacement is about $26 at amazon.

The Ender wrote: »
    ...What is that thing and what does it do (when it's not broken)?

It's a small battery backup. Probably gives ten minutes or less if the power goes out. I think that model can be connected to the computer to provide shutdown sequence as well, which is nice.

Only functions as a surge protector if the heavy lead acid battery inside isn't holding a charge though.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Surge protection and battery backup were quite useful when something my siblings bought started tripping the circuit breaker. Moving their crap out solved the problem.

Best $100 I spent.