As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 5 out now!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait what
    Ending spoilers
    Am I some kind of super-moron for not understanding what that last bit with Nerissa was supposed to mean?
    The person who spoke to Bigby at the end and the person who Bigby helped out in Episode 1 are the same woman

Most people understand it to be Nerissa, and in Episode 1 she glamoured herself to look like Faith

Which throws her whole story into question, because why the shit would she have a glamor to look like Faith????

And so on

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I... is this something people have been talking about for a while

• Options
    Since yesterday, yeah

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    This is some Usual Suspects shit

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Well I'm not gonna fight people about the comics; I like 'em a lot and I'll leave it at that (and Rose Red is great)

I will say this WRT Bigby and Snow in the comics:
    Their relationship is not in any way based on love - at least, not for each other, not really. Bigby loves Snow in the sense that a dog does, but Snow loves her children, and any love she has for Bigby is an extension of that, because he is a caregiver and protector of their little pack. He's a stable and understandable element in a life that is full of invariably unreliable people, from Cole to Rose to pretty much the entire rest of the cast.

Their relationship has a lot of fucked up elements in it

But the way they resolve themselves to be with each other is very interesting - very nearly a fairy tale romance, in the classical sense

I agree (not spoilering this because it's pretty explicit in the game as well) Bigby and Snow's relationship with one another has always been most analogous to that of dog and owner.
    Lars wrote: »
    Cinderella was apparently going to have a role of some sort and had a model made for the game.
    Dangit really? I like Cinderella and it would be fitting because she's one of the only characters to interact with Crane in the comics.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I don't know that I'd go that far.
    More that the're two wolves.

Snow adapts to her new scenario. It's what she does.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    This is some Usual Suspects shit

That was my feeling too. Wish one of the options for the final choice had been [Drop your cigarette]

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I don't know that I'd go that far.
    More that the're two wolves.

Snow adapts to her new scenario. It's what she does.

Okay, yeah, I can buy that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I actually read the comics up to the point when that particular bombshell was dropped for no real reason and found it jarring and hamhanded. But I think they're worth reading. They're pretty cool and the art is nice.

I also have some difficulty with author's portrayal of the ladies in the comics, too, though that's pretty dumb for me to say considering I really like the game and 75% of the women in the games were prostitutes.

To be honest,

All 5 episodes, in multiple places, went painstakingly out of their way in hugely deliberate fashions to give virtually, if not literally, every female character agency.

Particularly the prostitutes.

If there are games out there with better and more consistent renditions of women side characters controlling their own lives, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Ep 5, that talk with Nerissa question.
    Did anyone try to remove her ribbon? What happens?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    I did, and she jumped away and freaked the fuck out. It then gave me the option to go for it a second time, but I had a pretty good idea of what would happen then so I backed off. Don't know what would happen if you tried again. I'd guess Snow would probably interrupt at that point since I'm pretty sure you can't kill her off there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    I did, and she jumped away and freaked the fuck out. It then gave me the option to go for it a second time, but I had a pretty good idea of what would happen then so I backed off. Don't know what would happen if you tried again. I'd guess Snow would probably interrupt at that point since I'm pretty sure you can't kill her off there.

No you're thinking of episode 4, in episode 5 at the very end
    Nerissa is all "yeah I'm still wearing the ribbon and that's really weird I guess I'm kinda fucked up still" and then one of the options is to go for the ribbon and if you do then she freaks out almost as viscerally as she did in episode 4 which is either a red flag or a red herring depending on what the hell was actually going on

she says something like "no what bigby what the hell I mean I know you're trying to help but this is something I've got to work through" which hey I guess is true but then the voice over thing happened and so now I doubt literally everything involving nerissa ever

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »

No you're thinking of episode 4, in episode 5 at the very end
    Nerissa is all "yeah I'm still wearing the ribbon and that's really weird I guess I'm kinda fucked up still" and then one of the options is to go for the ribbon and if you do then she freaks out almost as viscerally as she did in episode 4 which is either a red flag or a red herring depending on what the hell was actually going on

she says something like "no what bigby what the hell I mean I know you're trying to help but this is something I've got to work through" which hey I guess is true but then the voice over thing happened and so now I doubt literally everything involving nerissa ever

Ah yeah, you're right. Kinda blurred together since I played episode 3-5 over the last 2 days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That cagey reaction almost makes me wonder if she isn't supposed to be Faith after all and that ribbon is somehow keeping the glamor going. Obviously there are a lot of problems with that theory but it seems like the most sensible read on that scene.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am now through episode 2. Ep1 was great, but Ep2 seemed like a big letdown. Here's hoping Ep3 picks it back up.

• Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    She knew taking off the ribbon was dangerous for the longest time and if we believe her, she saw her friend/co-worker beheaded by a simple tug on that ribbon. Makes sense that it would take a long while after the power wore off before you could trust that removing it won't behead you. Even if you know better.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    whoops

ABD8E5D6D38E4B8C62752A91CEAB7F7DF5CAFD69

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had to restart one section because that was happening - it was also playing the scenes all out of order, so Bigby's talking to someone then Bigby walks in the room.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I got that twice as well.

What's weird is the game actually continued to play out normally up to point, but in a cinematic camera progression wholly separate from the what the scene was supposed to have

As if they rendered the camera blocking for the scene different and I accidentally stumbled upon a beta version

• Options
    The game itself was too distracted by shirtless Bigby.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah I got that bug right after
    Crooked Man's trial

and it was totally bizarre. I got Bigby getting into an elevator, then a shot of Greenleaf (that I never actually saw after I reloaded it), then a nice long view of the Business Office with nobody in it. I gotta say my favourite part of the ending was
    Colin sitting in the front seat of Flycatcher's ute. It was just so great.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Question about the resolution of the Crooked Man stuff
    is it possible to fail to convince the citizens and have CM go free?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Question about the resolution of the Crooked Man stuff
    is it possible to fail to convince the citizens and have CM go free?

I didn't try it myself, but I assume if it gets really bad you could always
    tear his head off/push him down the well and be done with it, no matter what the group thinks.

• Options
    On my second playthrough of this episode that was one of my favorite moments.
    "We should let Bigby decide how to do it."
    "Yeah, he's the only appointed official."
    "That works. I guess."

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP*

[Fabletown is afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.]

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm about to do my Renegade run of the last two episodes so that'll be fun to see

One more question, Crooked Man
    can you actually just kill him at the foundry? How does the ending play out then?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm about to do my Renegade run of the last two episodes so that'll be fun to see

can you actually just kill him at the foundry? How does the ending play out then?
    The trial basically just becomes Bigby defending himself for that and anything else he's done

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    When I played this episode everything seemed to be in low-res mode for some reason. I really should have reloaded the game but I was too engrossed in the story so I played through it and it wasn't too hard to ignore. Seeing the textures all sort of blurry was a bit distracting though.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

The trial basically just becomes Bigby defending himself for that and anything else he's done

And it's actually pretty rad!
    The killing itself is brutal

But people in the room are afraid of you in a very concrete, visceral way

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    motherfuck the end to episode 1

god

damnit

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    it's okay pip

it's all sunshine and daisies after that

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    it's okay pip

it's all sunshine and daisies after that

[Pip will remember that]

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Two of those little notifications I got a kick out of (MAJOR spoilers)
    "Vivian will remember that."
    Head comes off

"Georgie will remember that."
    Gut-murdered

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Head comes off

Gut-murdered

My very favorite one they've done so far is (Walking Dead S1 spoilers)
    in episode 2 where you get a "[whoever you saved in ep1] will remember that" mere seconds before Lily shoots them.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Head comes off

Gut-murdered

My favorite is still
    "Gren will not remember that."
    CLUNK as his head his the bar

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I enjoyed
    "Fabletown will remember that"
    when I tossed the Crooked Man down the Witching Well. I was gonna let him live, but apparently that wasn't good enough for him. Down the well you go, dickhead.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I love that Bigby has the FBI most wanted list up in his office
    Give me the story where he has to work with the mundies from the bureau to catch one of their serial killers

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    My decision was
    to imprison the Crooked Man, because his attack seemed to indicate that he wanted Bigby to kill him. Well fuck that, you're not getting what you want.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    You know I though it was odd that the little mermaid was one of the poorer fables but then I realized this is set in the mid 80's, before her disney movie came out

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    My decision was
    to imprison the Crooked Man, because his attack seemed to indicate that he wanted Bigby to kill him. Well fuck that, you're not getting what you want.

yes always do this to bad guys who act this way.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    all in all i really like this, from beginning to end. one thing that i didn't like in episode five was
    i felt like the mary fight was not very good.

Langly on