As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, July 14, 2014 - Winston Smith

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• CEOIIICEOIII Registered User regular
    ....so what should Transformers be made of?

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I will defend "unobtanium" with my dying breath. It serves a useful purpose and fulfills that purpose with aplomb.

"Transformium" gets no such deference.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    CEOIII wrote: »
    ....so what should Transformers be made of?

Anything you like as it long it conforms to the EU Toy Safety Directive and US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act.

Obviously.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    In expanded Avatar lore, "unobtanium" was not the scientific name of the valuable mineral. It was a tongue-in-cheek slang nickname for the mineral which became common usage. In that context, the name is completely justifiable.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The explanation of why they call it Transformium is actually pretty good. The bigass company that was gathering the metal focus-tested a name to trademark.

It has a shitty name because they're appealing to the lowest common denominator.

• TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    Transformium was discovered by Josephine Transform. She has a museum in Kansas.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Tycho's face in the last panel... that is the look of a broken man. :(

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Is Energon still a think in the transformers lore?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Ryan A. ElliottRyan A. Elliott Registered User regular
    It has a shitty name because they're appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Just like Michael Bay's Transformers movies.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don't understand why they need a "thing" to transform.

I pulled that shit off as a kid.

• noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    The Transformers cartoons were cool because they were about the Transformers. The movies are about whiny humans and every once in awhile a big robot gives them a pep talk.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Hooray for Nineteen Eighty-Four references!

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • CreepoCreepo Registered User regular
    Unobtainum is completely legit slang and has been used by engineers for decades now. No reason to booze up and riot about that.

Transforium is simply lazy... and we're talking Michael Bay here. It suits its purpose.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The explanation of why they call it Transformium is actually pretty good. The bigass company that was gathering the metal focus-tested a name to trademark.

A nod and a wink at the fact you're making a shitty movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator ("Movies these days are nothing but sequels and remakes HAW HAW HAW SEE WHAT WE DID THERE?") does not excuse you making a shitty movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It actually just makes it shittier.

• Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    A man is just a man. No matter how correct his reasoning, how divine his purpose, how justified his will, he will be worn down by time and the eternal waves from the ocean of mediocrity that is humanity. To the point where he can no longer fight and must allow the world to be as it is.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Can someone explain the title to me? I don't get the reference. Note: I haven't watched the 3rd or 4th Transformers movie.

Lucascraft on
  • MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It's a reference to the main character of Nineteen Eighty-Four, who rebels against, but is eventually brainwashed to love, the state (Big Brother).

Malyonsus on
  • NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    I wonder. Maybe the true source of Jedi power is not Midichlorians, but rather a mysterious element, contained within Midichlorians. Called Jedium.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wonder. Maybe the true source of Jedi power is not Midichlorians, but rather a mysterious element, contained within Midichlorians. Called Jedium.
    Well sure, but that's only the lightside. Dark side users just have a sithium imbalance.

Wait. No, Chrome, that's not a word. You're supposed to tell me I spelled sithium wrong because you recognize that it's not a word. Damnit Chrome.

• OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wonder why "Transformium" is what makes people roll their eyes. I've been rolling my eyes non stop since 1984 at the mere notions of robots from out of space speaking english and naming themselves after random stupid things like mudflaps, ratchets and astro-trains.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    I wonder why "Transformium" is what makes people roll their eyes. I've been rolling my eyes non stop since 1984 at the mere notions of robots from out of space speaking english and naming themselves after random stupid things like mudflaps, ratchets and astro-trains.

I'm sorry, was there not enough gritty, hard sci-fi realism in the 80's cartoon/toy line aimed at 7 year old boys?

"Transformium" makes people roll their eyes because it's lazily-conceived cruft unnecessarily added on to a well-liked legacy franchise.

Gaslight on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »

I'm sorry, was there not enough gritty scientific realism in the 80's cartoon/toy line aimed at 7 year old boys?

"Transformium" makes people roll their eyes because it's lazily-conceived cruft unnecessarily added on to a well-liked legacy franchise.

I'd expect none. My problem is that fans act like the dumb things they watched as kids were perfect but the modern differently dumb incarnations are atrocities. I enjoyed the hell out of The Transformers as a kid, but I'm going to recommend it to precisely zero people ever.

I'm also unfamiliar with the phrase "legacy franchise". What does it mean?

YoungFrey on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Is Energon still a think in the transformers lore?

In the cartoons (and I'd presume comics). The Transformers Prime cartoon even included variations like dark Energon and synthetic Energon.

• darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Just so we're clear:

Transformium bad.
    Energon good.

?

I was bored and googled unobtanium, and apparently it's a real term.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I have not conceded that "energon" is good.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It seems like with a franchise like Tranformers any argument about relative goofiness is kind of academic.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    If any of you have some image files of the borders of Spec Ops: The Line loading, screens, I do believe we may have a use for them here

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It seems like with a franchise like Tranformers any argument about relative goofiness is kind of academic.

I was going to say something similar. Go back and watch some Transformers cartoons. We're not talking about Shakespearean literature here. You might have legit beef with Michael Bay's treatment of the work in terms of overusing bad action scenes and having bad actors, but some plot contrivances to cover for the fact that we are dealing with a franchise about sentient trucks that turn into people seem necessary.

What is this I don't even.
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

A nod and a wink at the fact you're making a shitty movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator ("Movies these days are nothing but sequels and remakes HAW HAW HAW SEE WHAT WE DID THERE?") does not excuse you making a shitty movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It actually just makes it shittier.

On the plus side, this sort of schlock is what makes for some of the best episodes of Half in the Bag.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Did you see the movie? It didn't come across as a nod and a wink about the movies. "Lowest common denominator" was my own interpretation. In the movie it's literally just "Transformium?" "We focused tested tested that name. And then trademarked it."

• trip1eXtrip1eX Registered User regular
    so spot on about all the talking going on with nothing being said. I wanted to cleverly say nothing while acknowledging how observant you were on this yapping without meaning trend stuff but couldn't come up with anything in 60 seconds.

• ObstreperousObstreperous Registered User regular
    The unobtainium in Avatar was actually a reference to a hypothetical engineering concept (you should look it up-- it's pretty interesting).
    I had read about it not long before I had seen the movie, so I found the reference very clever.

• marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Did you see the movie? It didn't come across as a nod and a wink about the movies. "Lowest common denominator" was my own interpretation. In the movie it's literally just "Transformium?" "We [focused tested] that name. And then trademarked it."
    It's the fact that they "focus tested" and "trademarked" the name that makes it tongue-in-cheek. If they had gone full serious they would've had a scientist say that he came up with the name themselves and be very proud about it, or maybe not comment on the name at all.

And this is coming from someone who disliked the first Bay Transformers enough that I haven't seen any of the sequels.

• MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    I've been rolling my eyes non stop since 1984 at the mere notions of robots from out of space speaking english and naming themselves after random stupid things like mudflaps, ratchets and astro-trains.

Man. Astro-train. If I ever become a male stripper, that is definitely going to be my stage name.

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Asstro-Train

• ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    "We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
    we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
    we shall fight on the beaches,
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;

we shall never surrender"

• JulzildoJulzildo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    @LucascraftLUCASCRAFT

**OLD BOOK SPOILER**

In George Orwell's 1984; the main character, Winston Smith, finds his spirit broken by Big Brother. A socio-political system which lets no one die an enemy/martyr.

After a hard-fought philosophical and physical battle, he is said to love Big Brother in the final sentence of the book.

edit : you know, it's like...I made you ask your question with my mind (no less). I was burning to call the reference out.

Julzildo on