As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    have you fought a war with the ottomans yet?

if you haven't, you might want to hold off on increasing the difficulty for a bit.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    no we haven't fought yet. We don't share a border. I have not been keeping a close eye on them, but I actually think they've lost land since 1444... nothing overtly offensive toward me yet.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    They get a pile of missions that will basically let them wreck you for free. And they have a better tech group than the Mamluks. When you click on one of their provinces you can see what their missions are.

• Options
    do I have a future in colonialism and trade with this empire? I at least wanted to dip my toe into it.

• Options
    Yes, you have ports on the Red Sea, so you can colonize the Maldives, Diego Garcia, Madagascar and the spice islands. Trade wise, you'll basically want to be steering things into Alexandria, and everything coming from the east can be steered there, Alexandria<Gulf of Aden<Ceylon<Bengal<Malacca

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    A question, are you playing with "Historical Lucky Nations On"? Because if you are, a fair warning is that the Ottomans will absolutely destroy you in anything resembling a fair fight. In fact, they're probably already way ahead of you in tech not just because of their tech advantage but they start the game with two of the best leaders in the world. A quick tip that it's important to try and keep naval dominance over them as the Mamluks. Also be wary of expanding as far east as India: The land is great but it'll guarantee that eventually Europeans come knocking at your door.

As for colonizing, it'd be worth it for you to colonize southern and eastern Africa first. Provinces that are on the same continent as your capital give you full income. If a province is on another continent it counts as distant overseas and gives you dramatically less tax income and doesn't increase your force-limits nearly as much. The exceptions to this are provinces that happen to be physically close to your captial despite being on another continent (For example, Cyprus is close enough to not count as distant overseas for you.) or if there's a direct land connections between your capital and the province in question. Obviously you can't establish a direct land connection to Indonesia, so you'll never get great tax income from those provinces. Still, they frequently still make decent income from production so it's not like they're worthless territory. The Cape, the Congo, and area around Timbuktu are all valuable lands in Africa. (Mali in particular has tons of gold.) Colonizing Africa also has the added benefit of making it much harder for Europeans to get into Asia. Once they're there they might start trying to steal your trade.

Gundi on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ok I've started colonizing africa, already got two

i did get kicked around by the Ottomans tonight but it was because they allied with two other big countries, and the allies did most of the work

my allies didn't want to do shit. lost 40k mans... but no territory. back to the lab again

everywhere I else I seem like I'm doing at least OK

it's 1507, I make about 11 gold per month, trade is as well controlled as I can make it, I've raised all my technology at least one ranks and I think even two ranks across the board at this point, and I've researched artillery

my biggest problem right now is forging a legitimate military coalition against the ottomans and the 1500's equivalent of the Iraqis. All the other Sunni powers in the region are either too weak or too far away

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    How far have the Ottomans expanded? If they border, say, Hungary or Poland, you may be able to nab an alliance with them if you Improve Relations. It's possible to have cross-faith alliances; you just generally can't afford to have any further penalties to relations. It helps if an AI randomly decides to see you as Friendly (usually happens if you share an enemy and have little to no reason to engage in hostilities with each other, such as shared borders).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    right now they've hardly expanded at all. in fact I could argue they've shrunk. I think I was able to sucker punch them by vassalizing (and then Annexing)some of southern/eastern Turkey and neighboring areas like Azerbaijan. Before the war I actually had twice their manpower.

Westward I'm not even sure they are touching italy, northward, maybe halfway into the Baltics... maybe.

What I need right now is to Ally with Persia so that they can scrap with Iraq (their name is much longer, I've forgotten it).

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    The ineptitude of the English is quite frustrating at the moment. I'm playing a Tuscany game at the moment and they've lost Cumbria to Scotland and Cornwall, Wales and Northumberland are separate nations. Even when they're doing 'well' they can barely construct a fleet and are unable to compete colonially with the Spanish and Portuguese.

Anyway, in this Tuscany game I have the perfect situation of an alliance with both Austria and France. It's been proving very useful, though the situation has developed that both are equally sized (Austria got an earlyish Burgundy inheritance and has eaten into Bavaria) and are now direct competitors. I'm not sure who to favour though I'm leaning towards Austria just because France are the worst.

• Options
    Keeping Austria is good because they won't ask for your unlawful territory.

Keeping France is good because they'll almost certainly get stronger than Austria.

Keeping either is bad because they both want to expand into Italy, including eventually you.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    England have been deadweight for a while. They get some really awful events that the AI can't handle.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    England have been deadweight for a while. They get some really awful events that the AI can't handle.

Does starting later (say 1492) do anything for that?

• Options
    Nope, hundred years war, lollards, jane grey, the northern war, irish rebellion, war of the roses, english civil war, jacobite rebellion, and the gunpowder plot . You'd have to start in the late 1700s to have the AI get out alright. Not all of these events will fire, but there's enough of them that some will, and the AI just doesn't do rebellions well.

• Options
    My current game map as Mamluck, roughly the year 1550. As you can see the Ottomans have done fuck-all. I successfully dismantled the Shia empire to my east by depleting their forces and letting them fracture in rebellion.

The Ottomans do technically have superior forces still, but they've yet to provoke a war. I have about 50k manpower I am planning to burn off on Ethiopia any minute now

Algiers, Persia, and Bukhara are my allies, so right now I am fairly well protected. I am currently trying to court Poland into an Alliance to keep the Ottomans in check

cyQo4in.jpg

• Options
    It's kinda annoying how you basically have to play a bulldozer mode country in order to get any of the DHEs

I think the smallest ones that get even a reasonable number of them are like Denmark and the Netherlands.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Actually no a lot of the minor HRE states, even ones without unique national ideas, still get like one dynamic historical event. Also I'd argue that Portugal is smaller than the Netherlands.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I still wish there was a decent way to play as Byzantium. in Vanilla, their starting position is just too damn difficult.

I decided then, that I would be smart and import the final bookmark of Crusader Kings 2 instead. It's only a couple of years prior, the world is almost identical, with the key difference that Byzantium still has a handful of provinces and the Ottomans are still only a small nation in North Turkey. The flags still exist from removing kebab The Ottomans from Greece and the Balkans though, so yay, free monarchy points, seeing as they're never there in the first place.

I've been having fun with this but it feels way too easy in comparison. Since you have core-claims on everything around you, I stomped Serbia and Bulgaria (which are both also bigger than in Vanilla EU4) in a single war and took a ridiculous number of provinces in one go with very little fallout (I ended up with the vast majority of Greece).

Then all I had to worry about were Epirus, Athens and Achea which belonged to a mixture of Aragon and Naples. Turns out the rebels there were itching for a go and only took a month of funding in each province to rise up and convert to me.

I guess my biggest worry in all this will be if I expand north anymore I'll come into contact with the Giant Blob that is the Golden Horde, your reward for importing. I'll just have to kick around the Turkish nations until then.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Nope, hundred years war, lollards, jane grey, the northern war, irish rebellion, war of the roses, english civil war, jacobite rebellion, and the gunpowder plot . You'd have to start in the late 1700s to have the AI get out alright. Not all of these events will fire, but there's enough of them that some will, and the AI just doesn't do rebellions well.
    I don't even know if the events are the real problem. In my game, England united Britain extremely early and have been largely stable ever since. However, they can't afford to field an army any larger than Portugal's. Georgia has managed to put together an army bigger than Britain.

Basically, the numbers are kinda lopsided. England needs a province-level boost the same way France needs a province-level nerf.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I don't disagree really, I just think that the negative events, combined with their poor wealth and the AI's clumsiness with Naval stuff is really killing GB. Hypothetically, if I wanted to ally GB, its because I want their naval power to help me against someone like France. The problem is, France can field a gigantic navy and GB really can't because they're too poor. And the negative events disrupt their wealth from tax and trade from all the stability and prestige hits from losing to rebels they can't fight. So its a vicious cycle that starts from day 1 with the hundred years war.

Anyway new dev diary:
    Hi and welcome to the 3rd development diary for Res Publica.

Elective Monarchy
    We added in the government form for Elective Monarchy in the 1.6 update, but we did not add any special or unique mechanics for it there. These come with the Res Publica expansion, and creates a unique experience. If you don’t have the expansion, they work like before, just as a flavor name.

In an elective monarchy, you always have at least 1 heir. When your current monarch dies, you automatically get a new heir with 2+d4 in all stats, that is between 25-40 years old, from a local noble dynasty. He starts with low support, but is the preferred heir unless a foreign nation intervenes.

All other monarchies of the same religion group, that are not elective themselves, gets a new diplomatic action called “Support Heir”. That creates a foreign heir in the elective monarchy with 1+d4 stats and the same dynasty as that nation has. Every month your diplomat is present you have a chance, depending on your diplomatic reputation and their opinion of you to get +1 support for that candidate.

If your candidate wins the election in that elective monarchy, you get a nice boost of power, as well as prestige and legitimacy, while boosting the relations between your nations.

If any heir happens to die, a new one is spawned, inheriting the support from the previous one of the same dynasty and backer.

As a player in an elective monarchy, you sometimes really want your own local noble, as they tend to have better stats. You have a new button where you can spend l5 egitimacy for 5 backing on your local noble.

There are also events that happen when you have a foreign heir as top candidate, and events that trigger when you have a foreign monarch on the throne.

New Decisions
    If you are a country below ten provinces, and are western, easter, ottoman or muslim, you can now become a merchant republic if you have a weak heir, and are very trade focused.
    There are also decisions to move away from merchant republics to other type of republics.

Poland
    Poland can now turn elective monarchy as soon as they are out of their regency, by event, as they start as a normal monarchy.
    Pacifying the Sejm will change the government away from Elective to Absolute Monarchy.
    Sejm complying to your policies will now happen 50% of the time instead of 5% of the time.
    Rival Changes
    Countries that are 50% or more apart in tech speed can no longer set each other as rivals.
    Countries that have chosen you as a rival are now always available to be set as a rival.
    You can no longer buy provinces from or sell provinces to rivals.
    Powerprojection added when vassalising rivals, or fully annexing them.
    Misc Fun Stuff
    Rebalanced and added decisions across religions to make sure they have similar chances to get high missionary strength. (AKA, Rejoice ROTW)
    Elections now use scaled republican tradition, so all republic forms are balanced against each other.
    Removed manpower impact from productionsize, to be tied to increased by 5% from each military tech, scaling basically the same as 1.5 and earlier.[/quote

• Options
    Qara Qoyunlu Can Into Space!

8d09nq08c709.jpg

Forget France

France waited out the peace treaty, immediately fabricated new claims on Parma and Mantua, and promptly declared war on somebody else.

Determining that the best way to deal with such a psychopathocracy is to simply ignore it, the Mistokral directed the attention of Ragusa's empire back to the Egyptians. Upon dividing the empire, many of their northeastern provinces suddenly became distant oversees territories managed as colonies. This gave Ragusa a free Colonialism casus belli and also made each of those provinces hilariously cheap when it came time to negotiate a peace deal. Unable to pass up such an opportinity, the Croatians invaded Egypt yet again. This time the damage was substantially more severe.

pkvmys8dhce1.jpg

This resulted in some seriously hideous borders for the Balkan state, but that would be fixed in time.

Meanwhile, Spain was busy humiliating itself in the annals of history forever:

x3nqh2qlx9sf.jpg

Right.

Some more years pass with France busying itself in wars in the Americas, so Ragusa prepares for another invasion. This time, however, the Mamluks had better prepared themselves. They secured an alliance with the Commonwealth, which easily tripled their threat level. Britain was unavailable to help this time, and Muscovy was still disinterested, so the Republic turned to Austria and Sweden for aid. Both nations were more than happy to chew on the Commonwealth, so Ragusa initiated another war with the Mamluks. Croatian forces focused on the Egyptian front while Sweden and Austria busied themselves invading the Commonwealth.

The Poles made use of poor strategy, dividing their forces and losing in both fronts simultaneously. The invading forces were swiftly victorious. Ragusa took yet more land from the Egyptians while also handing over one of the Commonwealth's ports to Sweden, hoping to boost its longterm ally's strength for future battles with Denmark and France. Algiers had launched its own war at the same time, reclaiming more of its land from the formerly powerful Mamluk forces. Hilariously, the primary Egyptian army spent the entirety of both wars stranded between Tripoli and Britain's Libya, unable to come to the empire's defense to either the west or the east.

v18ourk3qo4p.jpg

Conquest of the(ir) Holy Land

Some time after, the English completely gave up hope on battling off the religious zealots of Libya and sold the province back to the Mamluks. Whatever, it was hilarious while it lasted.

France runs off to beat up on the Aztecs this time (having previously stomped on the Incas), so - you guessed it - more invasions!

This one went... less smoothly. Ragusa had to abandon the alliance with Austria when they launched a war on the Papal States, pulling Britain in against them (though frankly the British weren't a very useful ally in the first place), and the Commonwealth largely stayed home, slapping the crap out of the Swedes and besieging their homeland. And the Mamluks finally managed to put together a fearsome army of 41,000, which resulted in an annoying number of casualties for the Croatians (just as manpower was finally starting to recover). Eventually Sweden peaced out by giving up one of the two territories it had taken in the previous war, and Ragusa had to rush to bring things to a close. Fortunately, there was still enough damage done to take yet more territory - enough to build a complete land bridge to the Red Sea holdings!

jtq4srrxzqzt.jpg

It also granted an extraordinarily useful side benefit:

w5gfaqr7lic9.jpg

The World, 1712

d4hclyiqi930.jpg

North America largely belongs to Spain. Which is kind of amazing giving how much of a pushover they continue to demonstrate to being. Probably they have simply spread themselves too thin across the world. That's good, however, as it means they're not especially likely to come bothering Ragusa about some old Mediterranean island or two.

pdxkbdgo8k2d.jpg

South America is more evenly split between the colonial powers. Also, that's where Holland lives now. Their close proximity to their sizable North American colonies no doubt has something to do with their success.

West Africa has a smattering of colonies, but nothing especially ambitious. The AI has clearly focused on the Americas. This is very good news for Ragusa, as it means we'll have no problems preventing trade from getting pushed around Africa. In fact, it may not have even been necessary to try to get out there to begin with.

rpivvcpwjs6o.jpg

France continues to control all things European. They can field over 210,000 soldiers now. Ragusa has the third largest army at 86,000 soldiers, for reference, and the second largest is the Shun in China with under 100k. They also have maintained alliances with Spain, Denmark, and the Commonwealth, even though they briefly warred with Spain earlier in this update (due to alliances, not a direct conflict). Denmark and the Commonwealth are also in the top 5 in national strength. Basically, no one can tell France "no" to anything, even now.

Ragusa lost the Colonialism casus belli upon linking its territory and losing its own distant oversees provinces, which is a right shame and probably would have led to some different decision making in terms of conquest order. Turkish has become an accepted culture, Plutocratic ideas have advanced far enough to gain improved heretic tolerance, over half of Turkey (and Constantinople!) have converted to Reformed following the establishment of Sunday Schools and the recruiting of an Inquisitor (and the conquest of Mecca), so Turkey is well on its way to becoming a source of serious power for the Croatian empire.

Fortunately, border friction resulted in a free claim on Aleppo, a province Ragusa has been eyeing for some time due to its importance in Alexandria's trade. So, another war with the Mamluks certainly looms.

And Asia? Yeah, it's still really weird. Orissa is a regional powerhouse, China continues to be bizarre, and Qara Qoyunlu has a number of colonies. Oh, and Georgia was seen fielding an army of 45,000 soldiers. Republican advisers strongly recommend ditching the useless British and replacing them with a true power like Georgia. The Mistokral is having a hard time finding fault with this plan, though the new borders with the expanding Georgian state may be cause for some friction in the years to come. The plucky nation is happily occupying war-torn Mamluk lands and are likely to grab Trebizond, a province Ragusa really wanted due to its Greek culture (an accepted culture in the empire).

• Options
    I made a successful defense of my empire against the Ottomans. White peace... had they waited another year or so to declare war I may have actually been able to take provinces.

They reinforce so fucking fast it's sickening.

The empire is left a little shaky, and my Piety has taken a dump, but it looks like I can pull out of the dive and continue the conquest of Africa

• Options
    My Mamluck world domination dreams have pretty much ended around 1600

The Ottomans invaded and all of my "allies" ducked out even though I helped them in every single goddamn war they called me into.

In previous invasions I was able to hold off the Ottomans man for man but now they have some crazy discipline bonus and basically as soon as their forces engage mine, I get a 40% morale drop on the first day... which basically means I cannot win even with overwhelming force (I had a 23 lose to a 12 outright)

Even though I've had plenty of means to Westernize, the Spanish have been kept out of North Arfrica which means I have no good way of bordering a western culture.

Pretty much game over at this point... if there any real reason to keep going? I'm on track to basically just live in central africa and be inferior

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It's because the Ottomans are some dev's baby. I'm pretty much convinced they have some sort of a cheat to protect them, giving them free troops in case they start losing a war, or something else in that vein. They also seem mostly unaffected by war exhaustion. I've also had Ottomans win against technically superior forces, while they attack, in terrain that strongly favors the defender. There's something fishy going on there.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    My Mamluck world domination dreams have pretty much ended around 1600

The Ottomans invaded and all of my "allies" ducked out even though I helped them in every single goddamn war they called me into.

In previous invasions I was able to hold off the Ottomans man for man but now they have some crazy discipline bonus and basically as soon as their forces engage mine, I get a 40% morale drop on the first day... which basically means I cannot win even with overwhelming force (I had a 23 lose to a 12 outright)

Even though I've had plenty of means to Westernize, the Spanish have been kept out of North Arfrica which means I have no good way of bordering a western culture.

Pretty much game over at this point... if there any real reason to keep going? I'm on track to basically just live in central africa and be inferior

When your morale starts lower than the enemies it means they have a higher base morale than you(assuming your troops were at full morale when the battle started). They get several military bonuses in their NIs and tend to stack military ideas so unless your doing the same its generally a bad idea to get into a war with them.

• Options
    Ottos do get a specific type of unit buff, but it's only problematic during a specific time period.

To beat morale losses, split your forces so that instead of 24 vs 12 you run 12 vs 12 twice. Time your movements such that you manually withdraw the first army 1 day before the second army arrives, and the second army should not arrive on the 1st of the month. This second battle will have the enemy army begin the battle with all the morale loss from the previous.

However, if you have Lucky Nations on, they may have godlike generals that will overwhelm you regardless. And do make sure you don't fall even a single military tech level behind them. Some levels give things like tactics bonuses that are severe in terms of potential results.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, fuck Lucky Nations.

• Options
    if I had to guess I'd say I'm probably 4-5 tech levels behind them

and that's with hammering the crap out of military tech advances... it was literally my strong area

however, I had no military idea set up yet

• Options
    It's very difficult to beat anyone if you're 4-5 military tech levels behind. The only times I've managed it, I'd gotten behind because I was getting military Ideas, so that helped close the gap a little. Since the Ottos usually get military ideas (and I believe have national ideas that also improve military), they're better than you even on equal tech level.

Tech like mad and then strike back. If you have to, ditch your adm/dip advisors so you can afford a +2 or +3 mil advisor. And pray for a good mil monarch...

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Ottos do get a specific type of unit buff, but it's only problematic during a specific time period.

To beat morale losses, split your forces so that instead of 24 vs 12 you run 12 vs 12 twice. Time your movements such that you manually withdraw the first army 1 day before the second army arrives, and the second army should not arrive on the 1st of the month. This second battle will have the enemy army begin the battle with all the morale loss from the previous.

However, if you have Lucky Nations on, they may have godlike generals that will overwhelm you regardless. And do make sure you don't fall even a single military tech level behind them. Some levels give things like tactics bonuses that are severe in terms of potential results.

Once you have cannons I like to run around with stacks of 20 units, 6 infantry, 4 cav, 10 cannons. They siege things down nice and fast since they'll have a +5 on most provinces, and if you keep them all next to each other during wars, you can reinforce crazy levels of dakka on to the battle field.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Yeah, cannons are super important.

You want as close to 50% of your army to be cannons as you can afford.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Ottomans start with like 6 star in everything generals.

Lucky nations is way too powerful. If you play as another nation then tag switch over you get to keep the LN bonuses, its like an even easier mode.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    i may just restart. I have a major tech disadvantage and my idea choices were next to random and it's hamstrung me

• Options
    BYToady wrote: »

Once you have cannons I like to run around with stacks of 20 units, 6 infantry, 4 cav, 10 cannons. They siege things down nice and fast since they'll have a +5 on most provinces, and if you keep them all next to each other during wars, you can reinforce crazy levels of dakka on to the battle field.

The effectiveness of this depends a lot on the terrain and the combat width. Later in the game your infantry get chewed up so fast that your cannons are in the front row after a couple of rounds.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »

The effectiveness of this depends a lot on the terrain and the combat width. Later in the game your infantry get chewed up so fast that your cannons are in the front row after a couple of rounds.

Yeah, gotta either go for good defensive fights, or have a second set of 20 right behind it to reinforce. Eventually you'll want to just move with sets of 40 anyway. (near combat width 20)

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Huge 1.7 patch notes, from EU4 forum:

# Paid Features
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    - Unique mechanic for Dutch Republics, balanding the Orangists vs the Statists.
    - Merchant Republics can now place trading posts in each tradenode, to boost their tradepower.
    - New Diplomatic Action against Elective Monarchies, to support Heirs of own dynasty in that realm, giving power, prestige & legitimacy bonus if they win.
    - New action for Elective Monarchy to support their own noble for the throne.
    - Lots of new events for Dutch Republics, Merchant Republic Factions, Elective Monarchies & Dictatorships.
    - Dictatorships are now special cases in a Republic when tradition goes too low, and can then last the rest of that rulers life.
    - National Focus: Change priotity on power from 3 in each category to +5 in one, and +2 in the others.

¤ Free stuff

###################
    # Gamebalance
    ###################
    # Governments
    - Fixed government change to NOT cost legitimacy.
    - Elections now use scaled republican tradition.
    - Added Oligarchic Republic as a new, basic republican government form.
    - The new category of dictatorship added, that is treated as a republic if Res Publica is not enabled.
    - Merchant Republics no longer get +10 tradepower.
    - Constitutional Monarchy lost the prestige decay bonus and instead got -5 years on nationalism.
    - Enlightened despotism no longer gets -5% core cost, but instead -10% accepted culture threshold.
    - Administrative Republics lost their tolerance bonuses, and instead got -10% Culture Conversion Cost & -5 years on nationalism.
    - Republics no longer become Monarchies at 0 Republican Tradition. Instead, they have a chance to become a Dictatorship if they fall below 40 RT, with the chance depending on how low it is.
    - Merchant Republics now have 3 different factions. Aristocrats, Traders & Guilds,
    - Legitimacy will no longer be set to 0 when changing governments.
    - Countries that becomes dictatorships will return to previous government form when the dictator dies.
    - Removed the legitimacy penalty for changing governments.

# Military
    - Removed manpower impact from productionsize, to be tied to increased by 5% from each military tech.
    - Ships trying to break a blockade to flee a port will now return back to that port if defeated.
    - Fleets attempting to break blockades will if they retreat retreat back to port.
    - Can no longer detach blockade fleet of 0 subunits.

# Diplomacy
    - Annul treaty now lasts 10 years.
    - Truce length now scales to the amount of warscore taken in the peace, from 5 years at white peace to 15 years at 100% warscore.
    - Call for peace is now applied to all attackers.
    - Winning an independence war no longer gives Imperial Authority.
    - Merchant Republics now have a slightly harder time diplovassalizing.
    - Merchant Republics are now very difficult to diplovassalize.
    - Can now diplovassalize without having a royal marriage.
    - Having a royal marriage now gives a bonus to acceptance when diplovassalizing.
    - Can no longer use Claim Throne on countries with a different dynasty.
    - Enforce Peace option will now properly account for Current Wars and will be disabled if they cannot join the war. It will also tell the reason why.
    - Opinion malus for different religion is now reduced by positive tolerance.
    - Native vassals migrating will make overlord discover province.
    - Selling provinces now results in the seller getting inflation at the same rate as from gold taken in peace.
    - WE loss calculation from peace deals is no longer 100x what it should be.
    - Fixed issue when offering renouncing cores in peaceoffer would cost diplo points for the renouncer.
    - Having a regency council will no longer prevent independence wars.
    - Declaring independence war no longer gives massive AE.
    - Minimum relations for Support Independence is now -25.

# HRE
    - HRE electors vassals is now considered under control of the overlord is in alliance.
    - IA no longer gained when princes convert to the Emperor's religion.
    - IA is once again lost when princes convert away from the Emperor's religion.

# Buildings
    - Marketplace and Canal are now +2 trade power instead of +1.
    - Customs House is now +10 trade power instead of +5, and also adds +2 trade value.

# Rebels
    - Culture Conversion is now twice as long as default, but culture conversion cost modifiers can reduce it.
    - Overextension over 100% now increases revoltsize by multiplying with OE.
    - Peasant rebels will no longer change a country's government when they win.

# Religion
    - Capped tolerance towards heretics and heathens at +3.
    - Conversion Zeal no longer disappears on conquest of province.
    - Hindu republicans can now set new deity when a new ruler has been elected.
    - Rebalanced and added decisions across religions to make sure they have similar chances to get high missionary strength.

# Rivals
    - Countries that are 50% or more apart in tech speed can no longer set each other as rivals.
    - Countries that have chosen you as a rival are now always available to be set as a rival.
    - Can no longer buy provinces from or sell provinces to rivals.
    - Powerprojection added when vassalising rivals, or fully annexing them.
    - Fixed a bug where potential rivals being calculated wrongly when handling countries with overseas provinces
    - Powerprojection will also be added when annexing rivals.

# Colonisation
    - Being bankrupt now decreases settler growth by 200.
    - Can no longer colonize provinces that are adjacent to non-core provinces if they are outside colonial range.
    - Colonists will now be cancelled when country is annexed. The colony will belong to the annexer.

# Score
    - Implemented impact of wars on the underlying monthly score, so lost wars against higher ranked countries with high peacescore are bad for you, while winning wars are good.
    - Now get a 25% penalty to monthly score for each rival not set.

# Trade
    - Centers of Trade now provide 100% more tradepower and naval forcelimit.

# Technology
    - Countries now get +20% production efficiency for being ahead of time in Production technology.
    - Countries now get +20% trade efficiency for being ahead of time in Diplomatic technology.
    - Removed power point penalties from all tech groups.
    - Neighbour bonus is now +5% per level, and can now reach up to 75% off, to let late westernisers have a chance to catch up.

# Ideas & Policies
    - Added 3 new ideagroups. Humanism, Influence & Maritime
    - Tweaked numerous policies that were too strong or too weak.
    - Moved and removed policies to make sure the MP groups and idea groups have equal amounts.
    - Colonial settlement act now gives +1 colonist instead of +10 settler growth.
    - Colonial expansions now gives +10 settler growth instead of +1 colonist.
    - Reduced legitimacy & republican tradition from policies.
    - Added lots of new policies connected to the new Ideagroups.
    - Reworked some national ideas to use the new modifiers.
    - Moved some ideas around.
    - Grand Army is now 20% land forcelimits (down from 25%)
    - National Conscripts is now 10% faster regiment recruitment speed instead of +25% global manpower.
    - Consolidated infantry, cavalry and artillery cost ideas in Quantity into a single regiment cost idea.
    - Added ideas to Quantity: Forced Labor System (-20% building power cost) and Expanded Supply Trains (-10% land attrition).
    - Swapped names on Maritime and Naval to be more appropriate to their ideas.
    ###################
    #AI
    ###################
    - Renamed Cordial attitude to Defensive.
    - Effect of 'Desires your provinces' is now scaled down for countries that are weaker than the country whose provinces they want to conquer.
    - AI will now form Scandinavia when it can do so.
    - Fixed an exploit where you could call the AI into wars you know they will dishonor in order to get a CB on them.
    - AI: Should now harder to fool with cancelled moves.
    - AI: Will now never revoke embargos against countries they are at war with.
    - AI: Better at converting Pagan provinces
    - AI: Higher prio on production buildings in gold provinces.
    - The AI should now be much better at building buildings, repaying loans, and saving money.
    - Fixed display bug where wants your provinces was showing the wrong (far too large) number in some cases.
    - Tweaked AI priority for Declaration of Indulgence act.
    - Improvements to recruit AI.
    - AI now knows when to use unfocused NF.
    - General improvements to budget AI.
    - Fixed an issue with budget AI that was preventing AI from building ships.
    - Fixed some issues with budget AI that was crippling AI armies.
    - AI: Will no longer subsidize a country they want to weaken or is in a coalition against under any circumstances.
    - Fixed a bug that was preventing AI from using trade fleets.
    - AI: More willing to spend legitimacy to boost a local noble if current ruler is foreign in Elective Monarchy.
    - AI: Less willing to spend legitimacy to boost a local noble if current ruler is local in Elective Monarchy.
    - Fixed inconsistency between call ally screen and actual AI response.
    - Manually calling the AI to a war where you know they will refuse will now result in a huge trust hit.
    - Fixed a bug where the AI would refuse to make peace despite being offered all of its demands.
    - AI: Will no longer give provinces in peace to countries that have 'leader may negotiate' unchecked.
    - AI: Should no longer desire random scattered provinces inside a country.
    - AI: Will no longer set allies as rivals if keep alliance AI preference is on.
    - AI: Will no longer assault at low morale.
    - Fixed a bug where the AI would continously move between two adjacent provinces while supporting a siege.
    - Fixed a bug where the AI would prioritize blockading straits it had no strategic reason to blockade.
    ###################
    # Interface
    ###################
    - Trade interface is now updated when stuff happens(cached). The merchant chosen will get sent( not the first available). Removed unused elements. The button when a merchant is present is now a toggle and will change between collect and tra...
    - Factions view can now handle custom factions.
    - Fixed alignment of faction button when HRE & Papacy are visible.
    - Heir box now shows when next election is for republics with elections.
    - Government tooltip no longer shows when next election is.
    - Tooltip for possible policies is now shown when hovering over ideagroup name.
    - Player Mapmode now colors in subjects in players color as well.
    - Added alert for when your country will become junior PU partner on monarch death.
    - If you have no deity selected, there will be an alert notifying you.
    - Annex & Integreate now says unknown instead of never if below 15 DIP at start.
    - Fixed base tax of annexed nation not being displayed in diplomatic annexation screen.
    - Republican tradition not displayed as percent in tooltip.
    - Rival selection now has a tooltip if you cannot change rival.
    - Cleanup of tooltip and values for navies in rival selection.
    - Can see the rival selection screen without being able to change rival.
    - An error message will now popup if an error occurred during the save-progress.
    - Global settler increase no longer displayed as percentage.
    - Possible policies always shown when hovering idea group light bulb.
    - Ctrl-selecting will now select only ships.
    - The ingame menu are now closed after a successfull save.
    - When you declare independence war, game will no longer tell you that the monarch has died.
    - Correct naval leader icon is displayed in end of combat window.
    - changed phrasing when vassalizing in peace offer brings taker into war.
    - Siege units will now properly been removed from map even though the camera is not there upon removal.
    - War exhaustion in countryecononmyview will now longer skip to next row when large
    ###################
    # Usermodding
    ###################
    # Enhancements
    - Made debug memory info in CEU4Application::LoadDatabases available to modders
    - Additional triggers can now be scripted for all diplomatic actions
    - Exported WESTERN_POWER_TICK_MIN to defines
    - Factions are now tied directly to a government form, and activeted/deactivated when switching governemnt.
    - Changed GetAdjective to return adjective unmodified rather than force lowercase and GetAdjectiveCap to return adjective with the first letter capitalized.

# Modifiers
    - Added new modifiers: build_power_cost, global_ship_repair,vassal_forcelimit_bonus, years_of_nationalism, accepted_culture_threshold, culture_conversion_cost, diplomatic_annexation_cost and ship_durability.

# Triggers
    - Added national_focus = mil/dip/adm trigger.
    - Added trigger has_foreign_heir = yes/no
    - Added trigger ruler_is_foreigner = yes/no
    - Added trigger heir_nationality =tag/root/etc...
    - Added triggers has_ruler_flag/had_ruler_flag.

# Effects
    - Added add_ruler_flag/clr_ruler_flag which sets/clears country flags that last until ruler death.
    - Added effect add_scaled_republican_tradition which adds/takes republican tradition scaled to your election cycle.
    ###################
    # Script
    ###################
    # 5 New Achievements
    - “Vasa or Wettin?” - Get a ruler of your dynasty on the throne of Poland while they are elective.
    - “Sinaasappel!” - Get Orangists in power with 100% Republican Tradition, and owning a province in China.
    - “One King to Rule!” - As Poland, become an absolutist monarchy, and abolish the Sejm.
    - “Venetian Sea” - 90% Tradeshare in Alexandria & Constantinople as Venice, with less than 10 cities
    - “The Iron Price” - Restore the Danelaw to danish rule, and make it danish culture.

# Decisions
    - Created decisions to reform a monarchy into Merchant/Noble republic.
    - Forming Spain now requires ownership and core of the Granada province, not the destruction of the Granada nation.
    - Reduced reform desire impact of Heretico Comburendo Act.
    - Move capital to Warszawa decision now gives 20 prestige instead of 100.
    - Fixed check for Granada's absence in decisions to form Spain.
    - Forming Spanish nation militarily now requires core on Granada province.
    - Tweaked decision to form Spain.
    - Simplified all nation formation decision triggers to use own_core_province.
    - Added heretic tolerance to Unified Islam.

# Events
    - Added events alerting affected nations to Funji forming.
    - Replaced decisions for denouncing or embracing neo-confucianism with event choosing between the two.
    - Increased MTTH for Hindu festival events.
    - Fixed Military Funding having wrong description for some events.
    - War of the Roses no longer happens if England is the lesser partner in a personal union.
    - flavor_bur.7 will no longer release provinces back to Burgundy
    - The Parliament of Västerås can now only trigger if the Protestant reformation has started.
    - Fixed appearance of Imperial Authority events.
    - Poland can now turn elective monarchy as soon as they are out of their regency, by event.
    - Pacifying the Sejm will change the government away from Elective to Absolute Monarchy.
    - Sejm complying to your policies will now happen 50% of the time instead of 5% of the time.
    - Fixed American election events.
    - Tweaked events that create a royal marriage to only target allied AI nations.
    - Sikhism no longer spreads by Nanak's travels to religious centers (event-triggered Sikh Mecca averted).
    - Trade Company Unhappy no longer triggers if you are at war with the nation they want to claim the province from.
    - American Dream DLC events can now trigger from a Thirteen Colonies in revolt.

# Missions
    - dutch_colony_in_south_africa now checks that the provinces are empty.
    - French missions now gives less army tradition.
    - AI Russia will no longer get missions on India/Indonesia unless westernized.

# Units
    - Added a fire pip to Schwarze Reiter.
    - White Coats and Frederickan Infantry are no longer identical.

# Setup
    - Pskov and Tuscany are now oligarchic republics.
    - Changed Socotra to Coptic.
    - Brightened Uesugi's map color.
    - Ottoman armies and fleets now have language-appropriate names instead of English ones.
    - Fixed wrong Flute ship names in English and German.
    - Fixed Hungarian provinces being occupied by Transylvania in history files while the latter did not exist.
    - Fixed Venezuelan flag.
    - Changed Armenia, Funj and east African provinces to Coptic.
    - Change several provinces to Ibadi to fit historical records.
    - Poland now starts with Feudal Monarchy before 1447.
    - Added strait between Tsimshian and Tlingit.
    - Fixed Mahican primary culture

# Misc
    - Qing can no longer form from rebels unless it has been formed by Manchu first.
    - Changed references to policies being "redacted" to "repealed".
    - Fixed Hinduism-Sikhism conversion.
    - Anti-Christian Edict no longer remains when nation changes to a Christian religion.
    ###################
    # Bugfixes
    ###################
    - Land units will no longer have large bounding volumes.
    - Army maintenance will no longer be exponential related to the slider.
    - SetSprite will no longer crash when given an invalid texture (will assert instead).
    - Units will no longer get exiled when starting/joining an offensive war if on the territory of allies or in uncolonized territory.
    - Fixed issue with powerprojection not being added on certain case of annexation.
    - Fixed a bug where the tooltip for rebel enforce demands-progress gave a incorrect number.
    - Fixed remaining references to Fervor as "Fanatic".
    - Fixed typos and similar errors in localization.
    - Fixed potential OOS in AI strategy.
    - Fixed some bad gui layout in government change.
    - When declaring independence, a country will no longer be free from the current wars IF they are the original defender.
    - Savemenu should now close after saving the game.
    - Succession wars can no longer put the target as one of the main claimants.
    - Fixed current heir being loaded properly in elective monarchy.
    - Detaching blockade fleets will not detach transports with attached units.
    - Fixed bug in corruption event triggers that prevented them from correctly detecting advsisor type.
    - Fixed issue when switching between trade and privateering, unit would cancel all movement.
    - Transfer trade power from other countries now applies to only the giver in the peace deals(bug).
    - The right religious icons are now shown in the tolerance section of the religion interface.
    - Fixed curly brace in event flavor_hab.3099 being a parenthesis.
    - Fixed cancel trade power message reversing the tags of the nations involved.
    - Fixed arrows pointing incorrectly in part 3 chapter 2.
    - Peaceview will now update the prestige gain properly when contries are selected as vassals( Treaties removed from offer).
    - Trade interface will now properly update when node is switched.
    - Removed old vassal income base value from subjects view and economy view. Visuals only.
    - Fixed we break alliance message that pops up when relation faulters.
    - Loading a corrupt savegame will now bring up a error dialog.
    - Culture triggers should no longer cause a CTD from incorrect culture
    - Colonies will now transfer trade power if loading a 1.5-savegame.
    - Removed old DirectorySettings stuff from files
    - Fixed potential CTD in the subject view.
    - Fixed CTD when forming nation and getting less diplomats.
    - Fixed bug when vassalizing emperor and declaring war would start unending war.
    - Fixed support independence of vassal modifiers to properly decay.
    - Fixed fix for not being able to cancel transfer trade power without Wealth of Nations.
    - Fixed a bug where the AI could invite non-native countries to a federation.
    - Fixed a bug where the AI would make suicidal invasions due to counting all enemy units in the area as friendly.
    - Change startdate buttons disabled when disabled should.
    - Spoils of war in economy no longer displayed as "peace"(?!) and accounted in total income.
    - Fixed issue with natives being able to form into non-available government types.
    - Fixed special case in war where giver nor taker in peace deal is warleader, it would ignore checking if they can receive provinces.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Not many paid features there. This is gonna need to be really cheap to get me to buy in before it goes on a major sale.

That said, I'll probably finish up my Ragusa game in 1.7. It's currently 1765 or so, so there's not that much more to go, but it'll be a fun way to see how the changes impact a game at this level.

The truce length change is causing a whole lot of angst on the Paradox boards. I think it's a good idea myself; it may have stopped the insane disintegration of Austria recorded in my posts.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    truce length is gonna end up getting changed again - it might be something that seems like it will be tolerable in proper europe, but there are countries all over the world that basically have one potential enemy to fight for a good chunk of the game. it sounds really poorly implemented and is just gonna be the cause of way more waiting around than anything else.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well if there's only one enemy then you can probably break truce without too many problems. You're probably a generic nation, so you get a -10% boost to stability costs, and you're probably technologically backwards until you westernize anyway (which is later game when you have more targets), so spending the Adm points isn't a huge deal.

Or you could draw yourself into more wars with them via defensive alliances, warning, etc.

Also you probably have to expand more slowly than what 100% score would allow anyway since you have fewer provinces, making rebels a lot more dangerous. So you're looking at maybe 10 year truces, which is also about how long you need to recover your manpower (which you'll easily blow through on an uphill battle war + a couple rebel stacks during peace).

I think the number of countries seriously impacted by this is fairly small. Mali might be impacted, but they can probably break truce here and there and withstand the effects. Scotland is a possibility, but early on you probably can't war with England every 5 years anyway, so you're already spreading out to hit other targets (like Ireland, Brittany, and probably some North American natives, along with the Scandinavians after awhile). South American countries might have a problem, but like Mali they can just break the truce (you can get a huge reduction to stability costs with tribal governments).

This is also a boon to medium-sized nations that get slammed by a large alliance. The 15 years of recovery give you time to recover depleted manpower and even expand a little before trying to recover taken or released territory from smaller chunks of that alliance. And France should have a much harder time taking out Italy and half the HRE since they tend to battle them as single large alliances.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    the changes as far as i can tell, at least in your france example, will still continue to happen as is, since you would just get a white peace out of everybody that you have no interest in taking provinces from (so you only get a 5 yr truce) while just fully annexing everybody else that you actually want.

according to johan on whatever he was posting in the forums, this was primarily a MP change - dudes play together and game the system and that's the bullshit they're trying to stop. it's a pretty unfortunate change - the last thing this game needs is even more downtime. this could've been fixed in a variety of ways (such as increasing base manpower recovery so that by default it didn't take 10+ years to reload), but they chose the most boring option (IMO).

i dunno, i'll definitely check out the next patch and do my due diligence, but this definitely smacks of the sorts of changes they've made in the past to attempt and slow people down from blobbing or whatever. aggressive play is apparently not the way they want you to interact with their game.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet