As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender/Korra] Two More Seasons of the Live-Action Thing, I Guess

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
You remember Avatar: the Last Airbender, right? Sure you do.

If you haven't managed to see it, it combined a fascinating new world, compelling characters, great animation and a complex story involving martial artists who huck huge amounts of elements at each other. What's not to like? Go watch it immediately.

Then a live-action movie came out. It was awful. Seriously. You're better off not asking about it.

The only plus side to the movie is that Nickelodeon decided to give the original creators of the show the chance to do a sequel series, with a bigger budget no less. And so The Legend of Korra was born.

Promo_of_Korra_bending.png

Set 70-odd years after the events of the first series, the new show focuses on Korra, the new Avatar after Aang. A native waterbender, Korra quickly mastered earthbending and firebending, though airbending took more time. Though she's cheerful and determined, she's much more likely than Aang to approach a problem by punching it to death. She also has a huge polar bear dog named Naga. (Yes, every animal in the world is, er, two animals. Just go with it.)

Republic_City_skyline.png

To learn airbending, she travels to Republic City, a thriving metropolis founded by Aang and Zuko after the events of the first show. It's technologically advanced -- think 1920s Hong Kong -- and a utopia for all four kinds of benders and non-benders alike. Er, that's the theory, anyway.

tumblr_m1hkk0WUQy1rs30kho1_500.gif

Her airbending teacher, and continuing mentor through the series, is Tenzin, one of Aang's sons. He's patient, focused and voiced by the awesome J.K. Simmons. His kids are Jinora, Ikki, Meelo and Rohan who are... well, less patient and focused. Jinora now has a strong connection to the spirit world, while Meelo has somehow become a badass drill sergent.

Mako.pngBolin.png

Along the way, Korra meets Mako and Bolin, brothers who grew up on the streets. Mako, a firebender, is stoic and reserved, while Bolin, an earthbender, is goofy and excitable. Though Korra, Mako and Bolin competed in pro-bending as the Fire Ferrets (named after Pabu, Bolin's fire ferret), they've since left the team. Mako is now an on-again, off-again cop in Republic City, while Bolin has starred in some hilariously awful movies. Both brothers are pretty crap at dating.

Lin_Beifong.png

Lin Beifong is Toph's daughter, only she's less blind and more of a hardass. She leads Republic City's police force, who are metalbenders to the man. She's become even more of a jerk in book 3, especially toward her sister Suyin Beifong, leader of the metal city of Zaofu. What's up with that?

250px-Asami_Sato.png

Asami Sato, heir to motor company Future Industries, joins Team Avatar mid-way through book one and has stuck around ever since. She's not a bender, though she's still formidable in combat with her electrified gloves.

Varrick_hiding.png

Billionaire Varrick is fantastic. That's all you need to know. His assistant, Zhu Li, frequently does the thing.

If you're just catching up with the series, book one had Korra against Amon and the Equalists, a group that wanted to rid the world of bending. Book two had Korra exploring the spiritual world with her uncle, Unalaq. That book also told the tale of the first Avatar, Wan.

As for book three, going on now? Well...
This seems to be dealing with the fallout of Korra's decision to open the spirit portals, especially the side effect of new airbenders popping up everywhere. Team Avatar sets out to help rebuild Airbending society. Meanwhile Zaheer, voiced by Henry Rollins, is revealed to be the reason Korra was in hiding for so long. He gains airbending, and breaks out a team of super-powerful benders, including Gahzan, an earthbender who can superheat rocks, Ming-Hua, an armless waterbender who attacks with water tentacles, and P'li, another firebender who can cause explosions with her mind. The fans have taken to calling them Team Anti-Avatar.

Books one and two are out on DVD and Blu-ray, and all the episodes are available for streaming or digital download. The fourth and final season is already in production.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I rewatched the last two eps with my wife last night, because she'd been out of town when they first aired. I was struck by how fun this season is thus far, and how enjoyable the fight scenes are. I think this is my favorite season of Korra thus far.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Episode 4 + 5 speculation
    Toph totally did both Sokka and Zuko.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not to mention they seem to be concentrating on going to lots of new places.

I love that the Anti-Team Avatar firebender, P'li,
    not only explosively firebends, but her blasts also produce those little pops as they head to their targets just like Sparky Sparky Boom Man. I don't know why but I've always dug that touch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Checked Nick.com. Nothing. Checked iTunes store. Nothing. Shoot me a heads up when this is watchable!

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Not to mention they seem to be concentrating on going to lots of new places.

I love that the Anti-Team Avatar firebender, P'li,
    not only explosively firebends, but her blasts also produce those little pops as they head to their targets just like Sparky Sparky Boom Man. I don't know why but I've always dug that touch.

Well I mean
    you have to have the spark-spark-BOOM if you're gonna go around being called Sparky Sparky Boom Man

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just checked Amazon and it has the first three episodes.

@silence1186‌

Edit: Nick's still empty except for some clips.

Quid on
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Random though, but did Aang ever change the temperature of his air bending?

It should be possible no, right? Like create a blast of super heated air, or a freezing blast?

He did at least once early on. In the episode where they had the fortune teller. He super cooled all the lava about to kill them with one giant blast of air. He really was so ridiculously strong when you forced him to sit down and learn. I think he is the only character we have seen fully master an element as early as Toph.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Woo, thanks @Quid

Oh also @DemonStacey‌

Amazon has the first three episodes but nothing on Nick still.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Random though, but did Aang ever change the temperature of his air bending?

It should be possible no, right? Like create a blast of super heated air, or a freezing blast?

He did at least once early on. In the episode where they had the fortune teller. He super cooled all the lava about to kill them with one giant blast of air. He really was so ridiculously strong when you forced him to sit down and learn. I think he is the only character we have seen fully master an element as early as Toph.

The trouble is getting him to sit down and learn.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I'm assuming the blast of air wasn't temperature changed; it was just a bunch of air until the lava cooled.

jCyyTSo.png
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I'm assuming the blast of air wasn't temperature changed; it was just a bunch of air until the lava cooled.

Given how quickly it happened I can't imagine any other way for it to occur. Thousands of degrees in a matter of seconds is more than just a strong wind.

Whelp, made it through episode 1 and 2. Pretty fantastic so far.

Yeah, but I don't think it was planned that way. So I wouldn't use that as precedent of Aang changing air temperature.

jCyyTSo.png
    Episode 3 is even better!

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Aang uses frozen air on the chains when he tries to rescue Bumi.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I really want to know more about
    Where the Sparky Sparky Boom people come from. I mean, the girl has the same tattoo as Mr Boom had, so it must be like, a particular group, and they don't seem to know how to Firebend normally. With her power-level, she should be able to do the firebreathing thing, so just covering her forehead shouldn't be enough. That it is implies that their form of bending is just completely different and nothing at all to do with the original Dragon Dance.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i literally cannot wait until i can go metal gear rising with korra

obF2Wuw.png
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I really want to know more about
    Where the Sparky Sparky Boom people come from. I mean, the girl has the same tattoo as Mr Boom had, so it must be like, a particular group, and they don't seem to know how to Firebend normally. With her power-level, she should be able to do the firebreathing thing, so just covering her forehead shouldn't be enough. That it is implies that their form of bending is just completely different and nothing at all to do with the original Dragon Dance.
    She did firebend normally to deflect dragon's fire and then hit the dragon with the tattoo attack

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Varrick steals every scene he's in, even if he's only got, like, two lines or something.

He's really good at stealing.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh also DemonStacey‌

Amazon has the first three episodes but nothing on Nick still.

Oh thank you so much!

Are they episodes that are free to stream with Prime?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Varrick steals every scene he's in, even if he's only got, like, two lines or something.

He's really good at stealing.

His "What are any of us doing here" line really cracked me up.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Man I hope he's not going to screw anyone over again.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

But if he doesn't screw anyone over Zhu Li might not get to do "the thing."

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Just checked Amazon and it has the first three episodes.

@silence1186‌

Edit: Nick's still empty except for some clips.

I missed 4 and 5, and now I'm all twitchy because I won't get my hit for ages. :(

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

When Zaofu gets attacked (just speculation, but I'm not spoilering that; its defensive capabilities have been clearly shown, of course it's going to be attacked), there's going to be panic:
    Bolin: "Zhu LI! Do something!"
    [Zhu Li politely blinks with incomprehension]
    Varrik: That's not how it works. Zhu Li, do 'the thing'!"

And then awesome will happen.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm just waiting for the moment, where Varrick yells.

MAGNETS, HOW DO THEY WORK?!

Yogo on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

When Zaofu gets attacked (just speculation, but I'm not spoilering that; its defensive capabilities have been clearly shown, of course it's going to be attacked), there's going to be panic:
    Bolin: "Zhu LI! Do something!"
    [Zhu Li politely blinks with incomprehension]
    Varrik: That's not how it works. Zhu Li, do 'the thing'!"

And then awesome will happen.

And then Zhu Li does the thing, and that thing is
    airbending.

fuuuuuuck that's probably going to happen.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh man.

What if.

What if Varrick became an airbender? I'd love to see a custom Varrick-glider.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Oh man.

What if.

Varrick wouldn't use a regular glider like some kind of plebeian. Even if he gets airbending he'll have a glider with two other airbenders attached to do the actual labor while he lounges in a chair and enjoys the ride.

Side note: I really wish safari would stop autocorrecting airbender to air ender.

LostNinja on
    Side note: I really wish safari would stop autocorrecting airbender to air ender.
    That's Zahir

jCyyTSo.png
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    fuuuuuuck that's probably going to happen.

I will now be upset if it doesn't happen. It's perfect.

Rhan9 wrote: »
    Oh man.

What if.

He'd go from Howard Hughes to Tony Stark

edited July 2014
    omg Varrick in Iron Man armor, air jets making him fly, shooting air blasts from his hands instead of repulsor beams so good

edit- better yet. varrick in iron man armor with 0 bending. Lin metal bends him up into the air, Zhu Li shoots airbending into his feet where it exits his palms shooting out like beams and then he lands safely. how? magnets.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Oh man. Now I want Magnet Benders.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Oh man. Now I want Magnet Benders.

Isn't that what metal benders do?

BTW, what if the Anti-Avatar team actually wants is...
    To absorb the Avatar's multiple elements bending, like certain character from One Piece did at some point before the time skip?

It's crazy, but I want to be able to say I called it if it's actually going to happen ;)

So two episodes every week until we're done now, right?

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So two episodes every week until we're done now, right?

That's correct. And at that rate, this season will be over around August 8th.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
    edited July 2014
    Looks like Varrick
    actually is gonna become Iron Man

Joolander on