As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

19495969798100»

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Quick guys I need an iPad app that will let me make a picture into a blingee

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    god damn it

it's 9:22 and I just want a small salad but there's a $25 minimum for room service

what to do

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    god damn it

it's 9:22 and I just want a small salad but there's a $25 minimum for room service

what to do

Small Salad + Steak

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    god damn it

what to do

bear with me here

order a burgers

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    so my buddy who's really into the theory of comp sci just sent me a link to a paper

about developing a programming language that works through natural language

like, you ask the language to do something and it does it, or promises to do so based on later linguistic transactions

it's based on a 1955 austin essay on language

Link?

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=AB3C725F6658154BC83C3D257E2AF0FB?doi=10.1.1.28.4898&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Man, papers like this are the best.

"It would be neat if something like this existed."
    As with Algol 50, in our rst approach we use a state vector (t) for the state of the program during operation. The program is expressed by a formula for (t + 1). Since the program interacts with the world, we also have a state vector world(t) of the world external to the computer. Because we can't have complete knowledge of the world, we can't expect to express world(t + 1) by a single formula, but proving accomplishment specications will involve assumptions about the functions that determine how world(t) changes.

That is adorable.

Evil Multifarious I am pretty brainburnt but I'm looking over the example programs and am really not seeing any advantage in terms of the syntax being more "natural" than modern advanced languages like C# 5 or (especially) functional languages.

Hell, most of the concepts here (promises, commitments etc...) already exist in a lot of languages and frameworks.

it's just kind of a weird paper is all

it's an interesting field but I think the author would benefit from reading / citing fewer philosophers and academics and looking into the current state of language processing for speech input. It's a huge business right now.

RiemannLives
    This draft of /u/jmc/w93/elephant.tex TEXed on 1998 Nov 6 at 9:37 p.m..
    This file originated on 10-Jun-89

ooooooooooooooooooh ok

nevermind then. That's quite forward looking for 98. Impressively so. Wonder what this guy is doing now.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    god damn it

what to do

Booze + salad?

工事中
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2014
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I think female Thor is fine and a good thing but it is absolutely a calculated grab at new and female readership, and like all things comic book, will go back to the way they were within 12 months.

I think Peter Parker stayed dead for like 20 months.

Was surprised they let it go that long but you know, Amazing 2 came out so....

they left jean grey dead for a really surprisingly long time.

i think she might be the record for a major character that i know of

maybe one of the robins

I am always amazed by that. Well I would be if the X comics hadn't become incomprehensible since I stopped reading them in the mid nineties. Every once in a while I look for a summary and make it through like a paragraph before I bail.

i started reading comics right around xmen 140. jean grey was dead and i guess looking at it now it hadn't been for that long, but the way they referred to it, it seemed to me like dark phoenix was forever ago. it was around 1980

i guess they brought her back when they launched x-factor or x-force, i forget. someone wanted to run a classic x-men reboot. i think it was around 1986

so leaving a well-known character dead for 6 years is pretty ballsy i guess. i have no idea how popular jean grey was overall, but still. that represented a good section - definitely the majority - of my comic book reading career.

@Irond Will Chris Claremont, the X-Men writer, actually planned to keep her dead more or less forever, but by the mid-80s he had had a big falling out with John Byrne, the artist who had drawn the Dark Phoenix story and several other of the classics (Days of Future Past, etc). Byrne is a terrific artist and a pretty good writer - he did the mid-80s Fantastic Four that is generally acknowledged to be the only really good Fantastic Four after the original Stan Lee/Jack Kirby stories, and the West Coast Avengers stories where the Vision turned white, if you remember those - but as a person is a really weird, petty dude. Actually, from the vantage point of 2014 and the things he and other people have said, it seems like Byrne is probably mentally ill to some degree.

Anyway, Byrne had this one-sided feud with Claremont where he spent a lot of time in his Fantastic Four comics trying to undo things he thought Claremont had done "wrong" in his X-Men stories. So if the X-Men fought Dr. Doom in an issue, Byrne would write a scene specifically to point out that the X-Men had actually only fought a Doombot, because the REAL Dr. Doom wouldn't have let Wolverine smoke inside Doom Castle or whatever. So at one point he decided it was dumb that Jean Grey was still dead so wrote this whole multi-issue saga where the Fantastic Four find a weird metal egg in the New York harbor and it's got Jean Grey inside in a coma and it turns out she had never gotten the Phoenix powers and become Dark Phoenix - that was all just a clone of her the Phoenix had made and so on and so forth.

So she was back alive but just kind of sat around not really doing much for a year (I think Cyclops was presumed dead at the time, or was in space, or something) but then they launched X-Factor a year or two later, which, yeah, as you remember, was the book with the original X-Men cast reunited.

Many years later, John Byrne went on to write a comic called Untold Tales of Spider-Man, where he told stories that took place between the original Stan Lee Spider-Man issues and fixed everything that was wrong with them. 8->

@jacobkosh god damn this is amazing. i always enjoy your treatises on comic stories.

i remember john byrne being a name back when i was reading comics, but obv didn't know all of this. i did buy some west coast avengers books - wonder man, mockingbird, hawkeye back before he had much character definition, vision. i never super liked those titles but in retrospect it's probably because they were set in LA. like BATTLE AT THE SWIMMING POOL PARTY or CRISIS AT THE LABREA TAR PITS or HOW WILL I GET TO THE SCENE OF THE CRIME IN ALL THIS TRAFFIC. maybe, my prejudices aside, there's a way to write good stories set in LA, but marvel writers of the 80s certainly hadn't cracked the code.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    god damn it

what to do

bear with me here

order a burgers

interesting

still doesn't meet the minimum

$25 is dumb

maybe I will order soup and salad and something else and not eat most of it

or maybe I will go to bed hungry

• Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    god damn it

what to do

Booze + salad?

gotta do homework : (

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Kana only has 1040 TV. You have 1540.

That's not going to be anything resembling a fair game.

@Pony‌

http://youtu.be/M_VLzElVlTE

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    god damn it

what to do

bear with me here

order a burgers

interesting

$25 is dumb

did u order only oen burgers

or many burgers, as is rite and proper

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    so my buddy who's really into the theory of comp sci just sent me a link to a paper

about developing a programming language that works through natural language

like, you ask the language to do something and it does it, or promises to do so based on later linguistic transactions

it's based on a 1955 austin essay on language

Link?

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=AB3C725F6658154BC83C3D257E2AF0FB?doi=10.1.1.28.4898&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Man, papers like this are the best.

"It would be neat if something like this existed."
    As with Algol 50, in our rst approach we use a state vector (t) for the state of the program during operation. The program is expressed by a formula for (t + 1). Since the program interacts with the world, we also have a state vector world(t) of the world external to the computer. Because we can't have complete knowledge of the world, we can't expect to express world(t + 1) by a single formula, but proving accomplishment specications will involve assumptions about the functions that determine how world(t) changes.

That is adorable.

Evil Multifarious I am pretty brainburnt but I'm looking over the example programs and am really not seeing any advantage in terms of the syntax being more "natural" than modern advanced languages like C# 5 or (especially) functional languages.

Hell, most of the concepts here (promises, commitments etc...) already exist in a lot of languages and frameworks.

it's just kind of a weird paper is all

it's an interesting field but I think the author would benefit from reading / citing fewer philosophers and academics and looking into the current state of language processing for speech input. It's a huge business right now.

RiemannLives
    This draft of /u/jmc/w93/elephant.tex TEXed on 1998 Nov 6 at 9:37 p.m..
    This file originated on 10-Jun-89

ooooooooooooooooooh ok

nevermind then. That's quite forward looking for 98. Impressively so. Wonder what this guy is doing now.

Yeah. That's why I like it. Someone who does not know what the exact mechanical specifications would be, but who can sketch out the framework in the abstract.

Lots of old philosophy of language is like this. Until Gödel indicates a wee kink in the project.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    DotA2 Heroclix, really?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    god damn it

what to do

bear with me here

order a burgers

interesting

$25 is dumb

did u order only oen burgers

or many burgers, as is rite and proper

Or booze.

I ordered a double of Jack Daniels room service once.

That one fucking glass cost me 44 dollars.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    scheck-- fresh vegetable burger
    carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, red bell pepper, zucchini, kidney bears, oregano, cheddar cheese

• Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    god damn it

what to do

Booze + salad?

gotta do homework : (

If there is a kind of homework the completion of which booze cannot help?

Then cast it into the flames.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Mmm, kidney bears.

They're like gummi bears, but made of fresh kidneys.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I am just going to go hungry

but I will go get a razor and some shaving cream because I forgot to pack it : (

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    scheck-- fresh vegetable burger
    carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, red bell pepper, zucchini, kidney bears, oregano, cheddar cheese

you'd give him a heart attack with this if he weren't already having a heart attack from burger intake

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 4.7

@Irond Will will create the new thread
    @syndalis is backup

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Discussion took 1 day, 10 hours, 26 mins, 51 secs to recycle.
    There was 1 winner, earning about 13611% more points than they wagered.

Winner
    @knitdan, who bet 33 hours with 100 points and received 13711
    Runner-up
    @Neco, who bet 32 hours with 209 points and recovered 198

This discussion has been closed.