As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work Boots

korodullinkorodullin What.SCRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm pretty desperately in need of a new pair of boots for work. I'm not very savvy on boot purchasing, so I picked a pair up out of necessity from Wal-Mart about nine months ago. While they've been extremely comfortable (among the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned), within the past two weeks they've started to quite literally fall apart, which I've found is a common complaint. Getting footwear for myself is a massive hassle, mainly due to my feet being a size larger than the sizes most shoe stores carry (I'm a men's size 14), the fact that I need something in a wide width, and a general lack of good shoe stores that even carry work boots in my area.

That said, I'm looking for a pair of work boots. And I mean a good pair, a pair that's going to last me a good long while. If I have to order online, I will, but I need boots that fit and the sooner the better.

Here's what my workplace demands place on a boot:
  • Steel-toed. Non-negotiable. Required by work, and even if they weren't required, I'd have them anyway as I have to manipulate heavy loads with a crane very frequently.
  • Around four miles of walking a day, up to six days a week, for between 8 and 10 hours a day, and standing when not walking.
  • Occasional slippery surfaces. Almost always around acids, mainly HCl and Bonderite.

Any recommendations on a good brand or specific boot to look out for that fits my needs? Like I said, I'm up for ordering online, but a boot that I can find in my area (upstate SC) is a plus.

Money isn't much of an issue, but I'd like to keep it at around the $100-125 range if that's even possible.

ZvOMJnu.png
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
korodullin on

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Buy good boots, which will likely be up to $200. I've heard good things about Red Wings and Whites.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2014
    Justin is also a very good boot brand. I believe they have a steel toed work boot line.

edit: http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/footwear/men_safety-toe

zerzhul on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I've had a pair of Timberland Pro Series steel toe boots for a couple of years now, and while I can't vouch for how durable they are as mine only get occasional use, I can say that as far as work boots are concerned they are pretty comfortable.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I found out there's a Red Wing Shoes store about half an hour from where I work at, so I can tough it out through tonight and then swing by there in the morning. Thanks for the replies.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    If you're working around acids they're going to be falling apart quick unless you get boots that don't have the soles held together with glue. I work around battery acid and go through shoes like crazy. There are acid resistant work boots, but I've never tried them personally so I don't know how well they would hold up. I just nab cheapo pairs every few months.

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Ditto on the acid knowledge here.

I can personally recommend Carhart boots. I own a pair, and they're quite durable and fairly comfortable, for a workboot.

If you've got a Tractor Supply Store in the area, head over there. They've got a good selection of boots.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I work ten hour days in constantly varying conditions ranging from 12 inches of water to scorching hot fresh asphalt, jumping in and out of work trucks and hiking along pavement for miles at a time. I have owned these boots for 18 months and it is the third pair I have purchased in the past six years. At the end of the summer I will be buying yet another pair. They are just now starting to leak when fully immersed in water.
    http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4208473

JRosey on
  • Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I found out there's a Red Wing Shoes store about half an hour from where I work at, so I can tough it out through tonight and then swing by there in the morning. Thanks for the replies.

Well depending on what you see at the Red Wing store I would recommend Wolverine boots.

In my work I deal mostly with caustic solutions, but occasionally deal with concentrated sulfuric acid, and lots of water. I make sure every pair of work boots I have now come with gortex to keep them waterproof.

I don't really care for Red Wing, they are my current boots (cost around $320), they are very comfortable and decently made, my issue is their anti-slip soles are terrible I have worse traction in these boots than I have had with any other pair. Also it is this clear rubber sole that likes to melt with acid.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    Buy yourself a pair of Whites. One of my coworkers has Red Wings and they don't cut it for him. I spend at least 9+ hours in my boots every day. My job duties are anywhere from logging to construction and cleaning bathrooms. You get what you pay for with boots. Buy nice or buy twice, a $100 pair of boots is just going to give you headaches.

sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Ditto on the acid knowledge here.

I can personally recommend Carhart boots. I own a pair, and they're quite durable and fairly comfortable, for a workboot.

If you've got a Tractor Supply Store in the area, head over there. They've got a good selection of boots.

Seconding this.

Carhartt makes some of the best work and foul weather gear, if you've got some money to lay out on it, it's worth it.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Went ahead with the Red Wings, and finally found a good pair of boots that fit, with goretex, and fit the needs of the job I do. Cost me around $250 all told.

I probably overstated how much I work around acid. I'm not around it a lot, and it's mostly slippage that I worry about. I don't stand around in the stuff or anything.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I have never been let down by a Red Wing boot, and I know a ton of people who wear them on the daily