As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Qunari with Fancy Hats

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    I mean, at one point Qunari were supposed to have segmented scorpion tails

So

Shit changes.

Let me guess: it was cut because Sten would be otherwise unable to wear armor? :p

No, they would have introduced it in DA2 and said Sten was simply born without a tail.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    As if there was ever any contest.

Within a week of Skyrim's release, there was a video of a player decapitating every woman he could find before posing their corpses around his home and displaying their severed heads on bookshelves. That was vanilla.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I saw that video. That was fucked up. Dragon Age Nexus has some weird stuff but I gotta give them credit for trying to make the character models look better. The Sacred Ashes Leliana and Morrigan for example are really freaking good. And after DA2 someone made a mod making Flemeth look closer to her DA2 appearance, giving her the robes and everything (though left the facial textures untouched).

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I did see a mod, basically making a female dwarf look like a damn porcelain doll. God, it was creepy.

most appearance mods seem to focus on making characters look like ultra sexualized ken and barbie dolls...as opposed to interesting.

sadly the only good ones seem to be ones the give you higher definition textures or unlock little minor things like hair options or tats that were arbitrary made unavailable to you (see: mark of Hawke).

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Eh, if this is the one you're talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrfo8uO_Gs

He wasn't "killing every woman" he just killed the followers, some of whom happen to be women.

• Options

He wasn't "killing every woman" he just killed the followers, some of whom happen to be women.

Stop, you'll ruin the sensationalism!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Even without the hyperbole it's still pretty messed up.

Then again, there ARE over 400 mods directly related to breasts.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Nevermind.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls games have such poor characterization that it's difficult for me to think of the "people" as people. They are very much just props, and murdering them and doing creative horror shows with their corpses is funny.

Making a corpse launcher out of a drawbridge in Skyrim is hilarious. In a game where the people seemed like, you know, living things, it would be awful. But Skyrim just isn't that place.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ragdoll is the point of Skyrim.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Actually, I don't think that's the video he's talking about. Because I remember seeing it way back when and it was pretty disturbing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    So, I went to BW's DA:I forums.

They.....really take their romances seriously over there. I think I've seen things I can't unsee.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »

They.....really take their romances seriously over there. I think I've seen things I can't unsee.

When you stare into the abyss and all that. Let us know how many years of therapy you needed to get over it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

When you stare into the abyss and all that. Let us know how many years of therapy you needed to get over it.

Still there are diamonds in the Dark.

Where else would we get the Saga of Ugly shepard? :grin:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/85282-the-adventures-of-ugly-shepard/

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Actually, I don't think that's the video he's talking about. Because I remember seeing it way back when and it was pretty disturbing.

Correct. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHvx0l_tVEw This is the one I was talking about. What has been seen. Note the upload date- it was made within a week of the game's release. Skyrim is hypercreepy on its own, suffice to say.

Anyway, back on topic. I get why people want to know about the romances going in, but I wish Bioware would release more information about the player origin stories. So far, all we know is that a non-mage Trevelyan is a noble, the elf isn't Dalish, and the Qunari was born outside the Qun.

• Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Anyway, back on topic. I get why people want to know about the romances going in, but I wish Bioware would release more information about the player origin stories. So far, all we know is that a non-mage Trevelyan is a noble, the elf isn't Dalish, and the Qunari was born outside the Qun.

Wait, the elf isn't Dalish? I thought the elf WAS Dalish. Where's that particular info?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

Wait, the elf isn't Dalish? I thought the elf WAS Dalish. Where's that particular info?

I apologize. I got it switched- an Elf Inquisitor can ONLY be Dalish.

• Options

I apologize. I got it switched- an Elf Inquisitor can ONLY be Dalish.

Well, that sucks. I like City Elves way more than the Dalish. Probably because I thought Origin's City Elf was the best Origin.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm hoping that this time around the Dalish have more personality than "shems bad, elvhen good," and other pandering allusions to Native Americans.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The dalish are fucking awful.

They got the badass accent but thats about it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    They're Welsh elves in trailers.

That's really all the character they need because that's incredible.

• Options
    Mostly, I just want them to actually do something. Every other group in the game- the various human nations, the dwarves, the qunari, the mages, the Chantry- they are all striving toward some sort of goal. The Dalish are just sort of...hanging out. If you have ever seen Dances With Wolves, Pocahantas, or Avatar, they are incredibly boring.

In short, City Elves are where it's at.

• Options
    Wait, what are the dwarves doing? They're slowly going exstinct underground, only Orzammar and Kal Shirok are left of the empire. Surface dwarves fare a bit better, yeah, assimilating pretty easy into human society, but that's about it. They don't really have a goal beyond survive, which is shared by the Dalish.

• Options
    The Dwarves have Varrick. Any more and they'd be too awesome to be in the game. :P

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Wait, what are the dwarves doing? They're slowly going exstinct underground, only Orzammar and Kal Shirok are left of the empire. Surface dwarves fare a bit better, yeah, assimilating pretty easy into human society, but that's about it. They don't really have a goal beyond survive, which is shared by the Dalish.

That depends on how you ended DA:O. (And they didn't even touch on any of this in DA2)
    If you helped Bhelen ascend to the throne he enacts numerous reform policies to the caste system, and if the Warden asked for it as his boon, he opens up military alliances with Ferelden and they push the darkspawn back past the Trenches and they reclaim several Thaigs per the DA:O ending scene.

If you helped old man tradition ascend to the throne however, then yeah the Dwarves are still up shit creek because he continues to do all of the wrong things that got the Dwarves where they are today. Because tradition!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Anyone run into the music joke in Dragon Age : Origins? That totally came out of the blue.
    I was in the inventory and all of a sudden there was a small stint of Mexican music.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    They're Welsh elves in trailers.

That's really all the character they need because that's incredible.

Merrill is Welsh. I think 90% of the rest of them are Irish.

So proper pikeys basically. :)

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yeah. I'm hoping that this time around the Dalish have more personality than "shems bad, elvhen good," and other pandering allusions to Native Americans.

Umm...I think saying Dalish are "pandering allusions to Native Americans" is reductive of both cultures at best.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    According to the Lady Insanity interview with Gaider, the human mage is still of noble birth, but got shipped off to the Circle.

Also, Gaider says the elves are modeled after the Jewish diaspora. Similarities to other oppressed groups are coincidence (and also a bummer in general).

Bassguy on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

That depends on how you ended DA:O. (And they didn't even touch on any of this in DA2)
    If you helped Bhelen ascend to the throne he enacts numerous reform policies to the caste system, and if the Warden asked for it as his boon, he opens up military alliances with Ferelden and they push the darkspawn back past the Trenches and they reclaim several Thaigs per the DA:O ending scene.

If you helped old man tradition ascend to the throne however, then yeah the Dwarves are still up shit creek because he continues to do all of the wrong things that got the Dwarves where they are today. Because tradition!

That is incredibly depressing, because
    Bhelen is a double brother murdering son of a bitch but is clearly the better choice :(

• Options
    edited July 2014
    3clipse wrote: »

Bhelen is a double brother murdering son of a bitch but is clearly the better choice :(
    Hah. I went with the old man since he was less of a dick.

Really, this game is as bad as the Witcher on making decisions.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Really. The Dwarves were all pretty shitty to begin with so I didn't mind leaving them to either of their shitty rulers.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Until they start placing the characters on body-pillows, I'm not gonna worry too much. They get super butt-hurt about romances though; it's funny.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Well
    you probably don't know the Bhelen murdering stuff unless you played a Dwarf Noble at some point. I guess technically he was a murderer and a framing-you-for-murder-so-you-get-exiled-er, not a double murderer.

• Options

Until they start placing the characters on body-pillows, I'm not gonna worry too much. They get super butt-hurt about romances though; it's funny.

Fortunately, they don't use the actor's likenesses. I am sure that one lady that plays Miranda in ME2 regrets that.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Well
    you probably don't know the Bhelen murdering stuff unless you played a Dwarf Noble at some point. I guess technically he was a murderer and a framing-you-for-murder-so-you-get-exiled-er, not a double murderer.

IIRC, you only have to investigate a little bit to find out about the murdering stuff. I knew about it all well before I played Dwarf noble.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    vsove wrote: »
    I mean, at one point Qunari were supposed to have segmented scorpion tails

So

Shit changes.
    That actually sounds pretty cool.

The qunari looked amazing in Dragon Age 2. I really loved that angry Judge Dredd face they had going on.

They seem abit too human and expressive in the face in Inquisition, it's kind of freaking me out.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Well

IIRC, you only have to investigate a little bit to find out about the murdering stuff. I knew about it all well before I played Dwarf noble.
    Yeah, Behlen is definitely not a "good" person, but he's probably the best leader for the Dwarven people given the options at hand.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Well

Qunari in DA2 did have a knack for getting on my nerves, because every one of them(even the Tal-Vashoth) had this mentality of "we're right and everyone else is wrong(even when we're wrong), and even when you're right, you're not as right as we are."

It's like talking to an entire race of TotalBiscuits.

• Options
    Compared to the racist as fuck Harrowmont, Bhelen might be a ruthless player, but he's still better for the game as a whole.

This discussion has been closed.