As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Later and later for new comic posting

NotAClueNotAClue Registered User new member
Over the last few months comics and newsposts are appearing later and later. PA used to be pretty reliable in having a comic available by 10:00 EST. Right now it's 1:45 PM EST and still no comic or newspost.

NotAClue on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Sometimes things get behind. It'll be up, just be patient.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I first started reading PA in 2002 Tycho was usually up at the asscrack of dawn on newspost/comic days. Newsposts were regulary dated anywhere from 5-8 am. Now I think later in their 'career' they probably do take it easy a bit and sleep in. Can't blame them.

Shogun on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    honestly if this carries on I'm going to ask for my money back

Tube on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dammit man, I was going to say that. Instead, I demand a written letter of apology from whoever's responsible.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I propose that you sue them.

there must be an outbreak of something. PvP just had a bunch of people on their forums because he posted his comic a little late too.

Xaquin on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's a ploy to weed out the postbots.

MKR on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    honestly if this carries on I'm going to ask for my money back

If you want, I'll show you how I hacked the server so that it lets me see the comics for free.

SeñorAmor on
  • PhantomBuddhaPhantomBuddha Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    When I first started reading PA in 2002 Tycho was usually up at the asscrack of dawn on newspost/comic days. Newsposts were regulary dated anywhere from 5-8 am. Now I think later in their 'career' they probably do take it easy a bit and sleep in. Can't blame them.
    I'm not the average rabid fanboi, but I thought I heard something about one/both of the PA guys having spawned new overlords. For those who don't have kids, go have some and then come bitch about things not happening on time.

If I am mistaken, go have kids anyway. At least then you won't have time to bitch and clog up the plumbing here with assclownery.

<<that wasn't directed at you Shogun, you just started down the road I was going towards. Getting/staying up until the wee hours when you are in/just out of college is one thing....things catch up to you after 10+ years of sleep deprived gaming addiction =)>>

PhantomBuddha on
  • NotAClueNotAClue Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    First of all, I'm not trying to be a dick; however, I'm glad you guys think that penny-arcade is just a hobby. I guess that's what allows them to have a staff of 10 people and for Gabe to drive a Mercedes. Like it or not, what they are doing is running a business--a very profitable business. If I showed up to work at 2:00 in the afternoon every day, I'd be fired.

Asking for my money back? Yeah, actually I wouldn't mind. I've purchased 4 books, 3 shirts, and clicked on countless advertisements.

NotAClue on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    NotAClue wrote: »
    First of all, I'm not trying to be a dick; however, I'm glad you guys think that penny-arcade is just a hobby. I guess that's what allows them to have a staff of 10 people and for Gabe to drive a Mercedes. Like it or not, what they are doing is running a business--a very profitable business. If I showed up to work at 2:00 in the afternoon every day, I'd be fired.

Asking for my money back? Yeah, actually I wouldn't mind. I've purchased 4 books, 3 shirts, and clicked on countless advertisements.

You have a serious stick in your ass. Listen to yourself moron.

'Oh god the comic's not up, the comic's not up'

So what?

since this is a business, like you're putting it, maybe he shouldn't do any work after he clocks out at 5:00pm

Expect your comic around 9:00am PST and you won't be let down.

Douche bag.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    And you're bitching about it in the wrong goddamn place.
    Tycho never comes here, Gabe comes once in a great while, and Khoo shows up on occasion.

Me Too! on
    edited September 2007

why do you want your money back? did they arrive late?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    First of all, I'm not trying to be a dick; however, I'm glad you guys think that penny-arcade is just a hobby.

For us, it is a hobby. I don't get paid to read the comic. I don't clock in on Monday morning and race to meet my comic reading deadlines. Although that would be a sweet gig, if I could land it.

They have kept the faith ( and the schedule ) for how many years now?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

*ting*

I have just deposited into your bank account a refund on your expenditures associated with viewing one comic (tardy).

Have a nice day.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    It's worth noting that you don't have to pay for something to be able to complain. That said, this complaint is entirely unfounded and the OP should feel bad for ragging on PA over something so minor.

Responsible whining is every citizen's duty. Only you can prevent flame wars!

MKR on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

There are some companies where people can show up later in the day, and still work 8 to 10 hours, and their companies are fine with that as long as the work they are supposed to do gets done.

The comic shows up before the end of monday, wednesday or friday it is on time. If the comic started showing up tuesday, thursday or saturday it would be late.

Unless the PA folks decided to change the schedule. Which is well within their rights.

Seg on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Looks like today's comic got posted about one second after midnight, so I guess NotAClue's pleas have been heard and responded to in sledgehammer-like fashion.

I'm not one to complain about free product, but I was getting a little concerned about the timeliness as well. Not for myself, of course, they could hack in to my home computer, download my calendar and strategically plan the worst possible fucking time to post the comic, and I'd still be a fanatic.

But I know that for people with day jobs, like myself, the only time you really get to kick back and read the comic is during the 10-20 minute time before work really begins. You know, while the idiots are still figuring how to start the day's wildfires? Humans being creatures of habit, you tend to go to the same sites every morning as part of your routine. Should a person less fanatical than myself not find new material during this early morning time, they may break the habit of reading.

Fewer readers means fewer people who will get my PA-related jokes and conversation, and thus the concern.

I do have to hand it to their ability to get it done, though. Consistently pulling off a comic about current events is a lot more difficult than, say, Garfield. If you drew a comic about a hedonistic feline, you could theoretically crank out three strips on a Saturday morning and take the rest of the week off. If PA tried that, where would they be if Sony made a sudden public announcement at 4pm on some idle Tuesday?

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    Looks like today's comic got posted about one second after midnight, so I guess NotAClue's pleas have been heard and responded to in sledgehammer-like fashion.

I'm not one to complain about free product, but I was getting a little concerned about the timeliness as well. Not for myself, of course, they could hack in to my home computer, download my calendar and strategically plan the worst possible fucking time to post the comic, and I'd still be a fanatic.

But I know that for people with day jobs, like myself, the only time you really get to kick back and read the comic is during the 10-20 minute time before work really begins. You know, while the idiots are still figuring how to start the day's wildfires? Humans being creatures of habit, you tend to go to the same sites every morning as part of your routine. Should a person less fanatical than myself not find new material during this early morning time, they may break the habit of reading.

Fewer readers means fewer people who will get my PA-related jokes and conversation, and thus the concern.

I do have to hand it to their ability to get it done, though. Consistently pulling off a comic about current events is a lot more difficult than, say, Garfield. If you drew a comic about a hedonistic feline, you could theoretically crank out three strips on a Saturday morning and take the rest of the week off. If PA tried that, where would they be if Sony made a sudden public announcement at 4pm on some idle Tuesday?

Who checks sites manually these days? RSS feeds are lovely.

MKR on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Not having the opportunity to look at the day's comic before work isn't really a valid complaint. The comic is still there the next morning. You haven't missed anything.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    PA is one of the most reliable sites out there when it comes to updating. PvP still hasn't posted Sunday's comic, and VGCats claims a weekly update, but you'd be lucky to get more than one a month.

They're quite professional in this regard. No promises have been made about when the comic goes up beyond some time on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    There's never been a promise of delivery time. Only date.

If the Monday comic goes up at 11pm on a Monday night, they've still done the job that's been promised.

Knob on
    edited September 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    PA is one of the most reliable sites out there when it comes to updating. PvP still hasn't posted Sunday's comic, and VGCats claims a weekly update, but you'd be lucky to get more than one a month.

They're quite professional in this regard. No promises have been made about when the comic goes up beyond some time on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

To be fair, XKCD is near metronomic, but i'm not really trying to prove any point here. Gabe and Tycho seem to be doing well enough putting the comic and newspost up when they do, and i'm perfectly fine with waiting a bit if it's not up when i first check the site.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, Gabe and Tycho do this as their job.

Thing is, they live in Seattle.
    Which is like 3 hours behind EST.

So when you're all antsy and crying "OH MY GOD COMICS NOT UP AT 11 AM THIS IS RIDICULOUS!" then you've gotta remember:
    It's 8AM for them.
    Gabe has a kid, on top of this. I don't know if Tycho does, but I KNOW Gabe does. So it's not like he can just sit around and draw, then go play video games to inspire himself for the next update.

The Muffin Man on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    They're both fathers, so yeah, sometimes family stuff pushes back their schedule a little. At least I would imagine that's the case, I don't have any kids myself, but I understand that they are time consuming.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    There's never been a promise of delivery time. Only date.

If the Monday comic goes up at 11pm on a Monday night, they've still done the job that's been promised.
    Sure, there are better comics than PA. Sam and Fuzzy is almost always up at midnight PST, and he hasn't missed a day in years. But there are many more comics that really slack off.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, Gabe and Tycho do this as their job.

Thing is, they live in Seattle.
    Which is like 3 hours behind EST.

So when you're all antsy and crying "OH MY GOD COMICS NOT UP AT 11 AM THIS IS RIDICULOUS!" then you've gotta remember:
    It's 8AM for them.
    Gabe has a kid, on top of this. I don't know if Tycho does, but I KNOW Gabe does. So it's not like he can just sit around and draw, then go play video games to inspire himself for the next update.

They both have kids, one of them's been sick lately, and anyone who really expects the comic to be up at 8:00am is incredibly selfish and entitled.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I'm not the average rabid fanboi, but I thought I heard something about one/both of the PA guys having spawned new overlords. For those who don't have kids, go have some and then come bitch about things not happening on time.

If I am mistaken, go have kids anyway. At least then you won't have time to bitch and clog up the plumbing here with assclownery.

<<that wasn't directed at you Shogun, you just started down the road I was going towards. Getting/staying up until the wee hours when you are in/just out of college is one thing....things catch up to you after 10+ years of sleep deprived gaming addiction =)>>

Exactly. Both of the guys have kids now, are married, and not only that, run a company that includes a million-dollar charity, a scholarship, and a 40,000+ convention. Gain some perspective.

Is the comic posted MWF? Then I'm happy.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited September 2007
    As far as I am aware, they have missed the deadline (by which I mean the day) a total of once in the time I've been reading PA

Tube on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I stopped reading PVP years ago, but I still check VGCats, and I was just thinking this exact thing.

PA has been consistantly on the ball and still gets laughs years after numerous other comics I treasured closed up shop. If a few years and children mean that sometimes, yes sometimes I have to wait to see the comic after work rather than before, I'll shed no tears. I'll still treasure my t-shirts and look forward to Childs Play each year, and relish in the delight that the forums heap upon me each day.

Yes, Penny Arcade is indeed a business, and it's one of few that I value the most.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't they have sophisticated postbots which they feed with glorious words and art to properly upload to the server, and unto us at designated times nowadays?

I had imagined that the comics/newsposts were done prior to the fact and slowly released in the wild like the fledgling beasts they are by an autonomous overlord.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Don't they have sophisticated postbots which they feed with glorious words and art to properly upload to the server, and unto us at designated times nowadays?

I had imagined that the comics/newsposts were done prior to the fact and slowly released in the wild like the fledgling beasts they are by an autonomous overlord.

Considering they like to cover topical events/games, that might not be the best way to go about things.

Though I suppose they could make a backlog of less time-sensitive strips, then substitute in topical ones whenever they felt like it. Who knows, maybe they do have something like that going.

Smasher on
    edited October 2007
    Why is this thread still unlocked? :P

SeñorAmor on
    edited October 2007
    why is your face so fucking stupid

Tube on
    edited October 2007
    Genetics.

Now answer my question. :D

SeñorAmor on
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lol! wrote: »
    And you're bitching about it in the wrong goddamn place.
    Tycho never comes here, Gabe comes once in a great while, and Khoo shows up on occasion.

If Tycho shows up, then he brings wrath. :evil:

Xabora on