As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Multiple "Monitor" Switch

WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
I'm looking for a product that will allow me to switch between multiple different monitor configurations connected to one (or more) computers.

Current Arrangements:
Dual desktop monitors
Oculus Rift
Cintiq

I'd like to be able to switch between these configurations via a switch box on my desk instead of playing cord musical chairs like I do now. When I look online, most switch boxes allow for switch between multiple computers and one monitor (which isn't what I need). Any suggestions?

A bonus feature would allow me to incorporate my rMBP as a second computer, but that isn't strictly necessary.

Thanks.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Windburn wrote: »
    I'm looking for a product that will allow me to switch between multiple different monitor configurations connected to one (or more) computers.

Current Arrangements:
    Dual desktop monitors
    Oculus Rift
    Cintiq

I'd like to be able to switch between these configurations via a switch box on my desk instead of playing cord musical chairs like I do now. When I look online, most switch boxes allow for switch between multiple computers and one monitor (which isn't what I need). Any suggestions?

A bonus feature would allow me to incorporate my rMBP as a second computer, but that isn't strictly necessary.

Thanks.

We might need some more information here. What type of cables are you using? What do your cabled scenarios actually look like?
    I'm guessing you're just switching one output to different displays? So one monitor always going, and then switching between second monitor, cintiq, and OR?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Just trying to clarify what you want to do.

So you have one PC and you want that PC to output to different devices without having to switch cables.

So you have normally 2 monitors plugged into the PC (dual HDMI? , doesnt really matter I guess)

Then you have an Oculus Rift which of course you arent using all the time

Lastly outputting to a Cintiq?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-4-Way-Splitter-Amplifier-Multiplier/dp/B001V54SY2

Something like this.

If you want your MBP in there, you'll need a typical KVM that you plug into the multiplier. They'll all be "live", all the time, I think, but that's really the only way I know of how to do it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Currently I have my one PC and this video card connected to two monitors via DVI cables. When I want to use my Rift, I have to reach behind the tower, unplug my second monitor, and plug in my Rift. When I'm done, reverse the process. I have ordered a Cintiq and that will add a third "monitor" that normally won't be plugged in all the time. When I want to use it, I will have to do the same as with the Rift. The default cable for the Cintiq is a DisplayPort, but it comes with adaptors for DVI and VGA.

I'd like a more elegant solution, but won't leave all of them "live" all the time. I'm sixes on whether one of the dual monitors needs to remain on when either the Rift or Cintiq is connected.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You're likely only going to find VGA splitter/amps.

I think there are some VGA matrix splitters but those get complicated and pricey.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I went ahead and bought this and will use DVI-D to HDMI converters. I'll let you know how it works out.