As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXtastic Voyage! Pre-PAX Boardgame Night (Sheraton Edition)

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in PAX West
Pre-PAX Board Game Night at the Seattle Sheraton Hotel

ANNOUNCEMENT: Please remember that the meetup is upstairs on the 2nd floor and won't be readily visible from the ground-floor lobbies. The hotel has asked that we endeavor to use the rooms provided instead of the lobbies to keep fire codes under control. There is a ton of lobby space upstairs too.

WHAT: A coordinated meetup the night before PAX for anyone with board games, or anyone who wants to play board games. It's a great way to kick off PAX and meet some new friends. This is a Free, All-Ages event.

HISTORY
This event is not hosted, endorsed, or sponsored by Penny Arcade or by any professional group or company other than the Sheraton.

Back in the day, when PAX was wee, there was no coordinated game night meetup on PAXmas eve. Folks who were staying at the hotels would naturally just gravitate to the lobbies to play games. After a few years, people started to pre-organize these informal meet ups on the forums but it was still small enough that they didn't need to work with the hotels - everyone would just meet in the bar or lobby and have a game night to pass the evening.

Of course, this quickly became a popular idea, and the size of the event started to create problems with the hotel staff and management. At both EAST and PRIME, there were conflicts with hotel staff and issues with fire code violations, and complaints from other guests. It was creating bad juju for us PAXers, and setting a tone of frustration and contention with the hotel bar staff and managers for the weekend.

About 3 years ago, I started to voluntarily work with hotel management to provide us with an approved space to game. Citing the logic of "This is going to happen whether you want it to or not, so let's corral it and make sure it's safe and cuddly for everyone!", we successfully built relationships with the hotel management and got a bigger, more comfy space in the deal.

The hotel on the other hand, expects a good take from the bar and restaurant in exchange for the free space, tables, staff and setup that they provide. That's their justification. So you'll see lots of encouragement from the coordinator to purchase generously while you're there. They're not compensated in any way for the event and are under no obligation to host it for us, so a good bar and restaurant take that evening is a pretty great deal for everybody, really.

So this is still an informal, attendee-driven meetup. It's free, and open to all ages, which is super important to me personally. The games are all just the games that you guys haul down to the lobby, and there's really no hosted structure persay. Last year I implemented a better game matchup system to help people find games to play, but it's very simple.

This event has now become a PAX fixture, which is cool as all hell. Alternate game nights have started happening too, like the Marriott Long Wharf at East, or the swanky CTCC club event at Prime. Each event is unique, put together and hosted by forum volunteers, and provides its own experience to attendees. Something for everyone!

What makes PAX special above all other cons is the community. And having a community that grew an event like this organically, that is still very much a self-policed casual gathering is AMAZING. I <3 you guys and will do my best every year to make sure there's a place for you to game the night before.

WHERE: Downtown Seattle Sheraton Hotel: 1400 6th Ave. Grand Ballroom & Willow. Look below under the COOL SHIT section for amazing details.

This Year's Location:
Sheraton+Board+Game+Night+Map+2013.jpg

WHEN: Thursday August 28 @ 4:00 PM until late, late, late. The rooms will stay open until 2:00 AM, at which time any remaining games will need to be moved to the lobbies.

ALTERNATE LOCATIONS
Columbia Tower Club Swanky Game Night Fundraiser

COOL SHIT
There will be between 375 - 450 seats available.
A Cookie Brigade Station will be available for you to get delicious noms, and Bakers Dropoff!
There will be a bar upstairs.
Food will be available downstairs, and you can bring it upstairs with you.

THE RULES
- Don't be a dick. To anyone. Ever.
- The hotels usually give us amazing space and service for free. The best way to show your appreciation is to support the hotel bar and restaurant while you're there.
- If you get asked by the hotel staff to move, please be respectful and honor their request.

HOW IT WORKS

On the Thread
1. If you have games to bring, post what you plan to have on hand that night.
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post your request.

Once Present at the Hotel
1. Your coordinator for the night is LexiconGrrl. You can find her at the Cookie Brigade Table if you have any questions.
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.
4. Use the twitter hashtag #SheratonTabletop to find or advertise games.
5. If you want to leave your game for checkout by other people, you can leave it at the check in table. Make sure you leave your contact information inside the box, since you might want to leave before your game does. DISCLAIMER: Although we strive to communicate the principles of respecting other peoples' property, leaving your games for checkout is AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is a volunteer event, and we don't police the crowd.

IMG_0465.JPG

GAME ON!!

Requested Games
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Cinelinx
Hot Tin Roof
Star Trek Catan - see below
Zombies

Available Games Only confirmed games will show here. Posts with "I can bring X or Y or Z" won't be listed until you're sure.

Shadowscout's spreadsheet of game descriptions <3

Alien Frontiers
Ascension (+ All Expansions)
Aye Dark Overlord
Bananagrams
Bang!
Battlestar Galactica (+ 2 expansions)
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Blood Bound
Blue Moon City
Boss Monster
Capcom Street Fighter Deck Building Game
Carcassonne (Big Box)
Cards Against Humanity (CAH)
Castle Dice
Catacombs
Caverna
Channel A
Chez Geek
Coup (+ Reformation Expansion)
Compounded
DC Comics Deck Building Game (Standard, Heroes Unite, Crisis Expansion)
Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Fighter
Dungeon Roll
Dungeons & Dragons Clue
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre
Eight-Minute Empire
Eldritch Horror with the Expansion
Euphoria
Fiasco
Firefly (Breakin' Atmo + Blue Sun expansion)
Fleet
Fluxx (Classic,Star, Monty Python)
Forbidden Island
Get Bit!
Get Lucky
Gimpf
Gloom
Guillotine
Hanabi
Heat
Hive (Pocket Edition)
Imperial Settlers
King of Tokyo
Kittens in a Blender
Kombat Kittens
Legacy: Gears of Time
Lord of the Fries
Lords of Waterdeep
Lost Legacy
Love Letter
Magic the Gathering (several decks spanning all formats)
Morels
Munchkin
MvX Dice Masters
Naruto Shippuden Deck Building Game
Ninja v. Ninja
Pandemic
Penny Arcade the Card Game (2 player)
POOP: The Game (including the expansion deck)
Power Grid
Quantum
Race for the Galaxy
Red Shirts
Roll For it
Saboteur
Sentinels of the Multiverse (+ expansions)
Set
Shadow Hunters
Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery
Splendor
Star Realms
Star Wars X-Wing (+ around 30 ships)
Study in Emerald
Sushi Go!
The Downfall of Pompeii
The Resistance: Avalon
Tsuro, Tsuro of the Seas
Yinsh
Zombie Dice
Zombies!! 4

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• SantODiablO83SantODiablO83 Registered User regular
    Any chance the game "Zombies" will be there?

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Any chance the game "Zombies" will be there?

The games are all brought by attendees, so if someone brings it, yes. Keep an eye on the available games list in the OP.

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Yay...one of my favorite parts of pax

• CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I am staying at the Sheraton this year, so there is a good chance I will attend this if my party decides to forgo the charity event down at the Columbia Tower Club.

Cennedi on
    Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
    edited July 2014
    Good list so far :) small world is a fun one as well.

Rhea_starstorm on
    Ha! You fell for my evil plan. The spreadsheet is last year's list! Ha HAAA!

no but seriously, this year's list will show up underneath the spreadsheet link. it's currently empty.

Ha! You fell for my evil plan. The spreadsheet is last year's list! Ha HAAA!

no but seriously, this year's list will show up underneath the spreadsheet link. it's currently empty.

lol :) well it was a good list :D

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    There will be a new spreadsheet when the games list starts to appear - so peeps get on with volunteering to bring games :p

• SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Super excited for this. went last year had a blast, im packing a second bag fully of boardgames just for this.

qEGfoNG.png

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    I can bring Advanced Civilization and/or Titan if anyone is interested. With Civ it would likely be something we continued with during PAX proper, but I am willing to make that happen if there is interest.

• CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I didn't get a chance to go last year, but I would love to this year. I'm thinking of bringing my bigger blacker box of CAH and maybe one or two other games. I would have to lug some stuff from the Holiday Inn (and prior to that from up here in Canada) so, I'll be keeping it pretty light in what I can bring down to play. Is there anything in particular people would be interested in playing? I own the following:

- Letters from Whitechapel (since this is my fav I might bring it anyways)
    - Takenoko
    - Tokaido
    - Touch of Evil: Dark Gothic
    - Tsuro
    - Munchkin
    - Firefly: The Game
    - Battlestar Galactica (takes several hours to play a game so IDK if this one would be coming)
    - Last Night on Earth
    - Star Trek Catan
    - Zombie Dice
    - Cthulu Dice
    - and the aforementioned party game for horrible people.

I might just bring some of the quicker games for the heck of it and taxi the stuff there and back, but I'll have to see what kind of stuff people want to play! I might be picking up a copy of Ticket to Ride before PAX as well, and if I do I can add it to the list of "do you guys want me to bring this?"

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I didn't get a chance to go last year, but I would love to this year. I'm thinking of bringing my bigger blacker box of CAH and maybe one or two other games. I would have to lug some stuff from the Holiday Inn (and prior to that from up here in Canada) so, I'll be keeping it pretty light in what I can bring down to play. Is there anything in particular people would be interested in playing? I own the following:

- Takenoko
    - Tokaido
    - Tsuro
    - Munchkin
    - Battlestar Galactica (takes several hours to play a game so IDK if this one would be coming)
    - Last Night on Earth
    - Star Trek Catan
    - Zombie Dice
    - Cthulu Dice

I might just bring some of the quicker games for the heck of it and taxi the stuff there and back, but I'll have to see what kind of stuff people want to play! I might be picking up a copy of Ticket to Ride before PAX as well, and if I do I can add it to the list of "do you guys want me to bring this?"

Munchkin is a really fun and easy game for everybody to enjoy. I don't recognize a lot of those game titles (as the only board games I play really are RPGs) but Firefly: The Game, Last Night on earth, Star Trek Catan and the Dice games sound like so much fun that if you bring them I might end up choosing this game night over the swanky one.

I also have the big black box of CAH, so not sure how that ranks in everything. The case is about 7x4x2.5 so this might be everything or nothing.

Cennedi on
    Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    BSG can be long, but it is one of the best paranoia games I have played...

pax
    clt
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Cennedi wrote: »
    Munchkin is a really fun and easy game for everybody to enjoy. I don't recognize a lot of those game titles (as the only board games I play really are RPGs) but Firefly: The Game, Last Night on earth, Star Trek Catan and the Dice games sound like so much fun that if you bring them I might end up choosing this game night over the swanky one.

I also have the big black box of CAH, so not sure how that ranks in everything. The case is about 7x4x2.5 so this might be everything or nothing.

Both board game events should have a fair amount of crossover when it comes to games. For me, I determine which one I attend by whether or not I want to wear big-boy pants or not that day. Since I tend to slum it up for the rest of PAX (athletic shirt and shorts), I use Thursday as an excuse to dress a little nicer. That being said, if I was going by myself, I would probably choose this event over the Columbia Tower one since it's so low-key. Just my personal preference though. I doubt someone would not have fun at either event regardless.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
    I'd be intrested in trying out Star Trek Catan

• BirrhanBirrhan Registered User regular

- Takenoko
    - Tokaido
    - Tsuro
    - Munchkin
    - Last Night on Earth
    - Star Trek Catan
    - Zombie Dice
    - Cthulu Dice

In addition to the other comments so far:

Tokaido is a lot of fun, for being essentially pointless. Also, a beautiful game. You should bring that!

I can contribute any of these as well: Caverna*, Pandemic*, Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, Settlers, and Fiasco*. I was planning on bringing the starred ones; is there any interest in the others?

• CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    A'ight, well I will bring Star Trek Catan, Whitechapel, Munchkin and Tokaido for certain for now. Zombie dice is always in my purse all the way through PAX (great line entertainment and a great way to make new friends while waiting 4 hours for the gearbox panel to start. In the sun. Oh good lord 2013 flashback aaaaaa). I want to bring Last Night on Earth as well, but we will see if I can manage that. Those are going to be heavy as it is!

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • ReenieReenie Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Cennedi wrote: »

I don't want to derail this conversation in any way, just have gotten a couple of messages asking about this recently, so I want to shed some light here. There will be significant overlap in games represented at Lexi's wonderful event at the Sheraton with the one we are hosting at the Columbia Tower Club. Games like Firefly, Last Night on Earth (or any Flying Frog game), Catan, and dice games are all so common that it is all but guaranteed they will be represented at both locations. The game libraries of the two events use two different paths to wind up at a destination with some similar game scenery. At the Sheraton, it relies upon many people coming in and bringing a few games of their choosing. At the Columbia Tower Club, a large part of the library is from a select few people who happen to be locals with immense game collections, as well as a local business, and together they create a large lending library. People who travel come in with their own games to it as well, but there's already a built-in library of games before anybody even shows up.

Where you're going to see some divergence between the two events is with regards to big box games and brand new stuff. Since the people who supply the Tower Club games are locals, its lending library will have more games that come in bigger boxes that aren't easy to travel with because we just throw them in our cars and come over. On new stuff, one of the people who helps our event out behind the scenes goes to GenCon every year, which happens just before PAX, gets every game being shown or demoed there, and brings them back west for the lending library. So the biggest difference is that Tower Club library is going to have a lot of games that are brand new and not even out or available to the public yet just as a result of that. There are some people who will attend and that's all they'll want to play all night. There are others who don't care about that sort of thing. Both events will be enjoyable in their own right.

Reenie on
  • PottedMeatPottedMeat Registered User regular
    I'm packing light (in both weight AND game level) this year, but will have

Dungeon roll
    Hanabi
    The Resistance: Avalon
    Coup
    Dungeon Fighter (so much fun)
    Fleet
    Castle Dice
    Spartacus: A game of blood and treachery (exactly what it says....you might NOT be friends after this game :smile:)

That's it for now, See you peeps there!

• PottedMeatPottedMeat Registered User regular
    Birrhan wrote: »

- Takenoko
    - Tokaido
    - Tsuro
    - Munchkin
    - Last Night on Earth
    - Star Trek Catan
    - Zombie Dice
    - Cthulu Dice

In addition to the other comments so far:

Tokaido is a lot of fun, for being essentially pointless. Also, a beautiful game. You should bring that!

I can contribute any of these as well: Caverna*, Pandemic*, Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, Settlers, and Fiasco*. I was planning on bringing the starred ones; is there any interest in the others?

I would never turn down a game of RFtG

• CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    I've brought this up with my friends before for things to do when we drive down Thursday afternoon so hopefully a couple of them will want to go and partake in this! Otherwise I may just have to hop in a cab from the hotel and go myself!

Hey all - I'd like to do a buttoneering button for this event. Alas, alack, I have no design skills or software.

Anybody want to hit me up with some volunteer time to put one together? You would be well compensated with many thanks and a firm handshake. And maybe I'll buy you a drink at PAX.

• gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Hey all - I'd like to do a buttoneering button for this event. Alas, alack, I have no design skills or software.

Anybody want to hit me up with some volunteer time to put one together? You would be well compensated with many thanks and a firm handshake. And maybe I'll buy you a drink at PAX.

I'd also post that in the buttoneering thread, just in case any of them miss it here :)

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    okies 2014 version of the spreadsheet is up - as per previous year's if I've linked to the wrong game let me know (if there's a choice I tend to link to the newest version)

I'll keep this updated every other day or so once confirmed games are added to the list

shadowscout on
  • SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    Game request: Love Letter. I think it would be fantastic if somebody could bring this game. It is small, easy to learn, and a lot of fun. Kind of like Coup's little sister? Or is that a bad analogy?

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    SleepyDust wrote: »
    Game request: Love Letter. I think it would be fantastic if somebody could bring this game. It is small, easy to learn, and a lot of fun. Kind of like Coup's little sister? Or is that a bad analogy?

Me! I am bringing a copy so you can put me down for love letter.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    Tokaido and Hanebi sound like fun I've sadly haven't played very many table top games before other then Munchkin and Settlers of Catan. So I'm really hoping to find new games to play and convince my friends to play as well and eventually buy for myself. =) Really excited for Thursday evening!

• neo_blade01neo_blade01 Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing along Munchkin, Zombie Dice, Star Fluxx, and Chez Geek. If it is possible, I'm going to bring along a new game that I helped fund on Kickstarter called Cinelinx: A Card Game For Movie People.

• SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    i would love to try Cinelinx, do you know if its available to order anywhere?

qEGfoNG.png

• neo_blade01neo_blade01 Registered User regular
    SpicyMeats wrote: »
    i would love to try Cinelinx, do you know if its available to order anywhere?

No word yet on an actual release date; it has been delayed a couple months for backers due to printer problems, but hoping to get my backer copy in time for this.

• Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular
    Not clear on one thing. If me and a friend were planning to come to this just to play, not bringing games, do we need to signup before hand or can we just show up?

Not clear on one thing. If me and a friend were planning to come to this just to play, not bringing games, do we need to signup before hand or can we just show up?

Just show up. It's very casual and very, very big.

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    That's what she...
    Serious question though - how does it compare to size for the PAX tabletop free play area?

Hingo on
    Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
    Hingo wrote: »
    That's what she...
    Serious question though - how does it compare to size for the PAX tabletop free play area?

BWAHAHAHAHA!

So it's not as big as TT freeplay, but the Sheraton donates a couple of their ballrooms and the upstairs lobby space, so if it gets really crowded and there are folks playing on the floor, we can see 500+ people there.

Methinks I'll add an event history section to the OP so n00bs understand how and why this event happens. That helps to explain how it works.

• AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'll commit now to bringing Alien Frontiers. I will update as time goes on with other games I will bring. Just waiting to see what people want right now. I have a pretty decent collection and can bring anything from it if someone wants me to.

EDIT: Also bringing Legacy: Gears of Time, Eight-Minute Empire, Coup, and Yum Yum Super Fish Delicious (a.k.a. Fish Cook).

AaronElWhite's Board Game Collection

AaronElWhite on
  • Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular

Awesome, thanks! We'll definitely be showing up to partake in some TT gaming. End of August can't come soon enough.

• wyndstarwyndstar West coast CanadaRegistered User regular
    This sounds like so much fun and i'd really really like to attend. but i'm driving in with some friends from BC and we have no idea what time we'll be in town. what time does this typically go on til? cause we could still show up later. (we're staying at the renaissance so i think we could just walk over?)
    I'd have to travel light but i could bring pirate and/or zombie fluxx, and possibly mad zeppelin

PAX 2015: got tickets, woo hoo!
    PAX 2014: had a blast.. let's do it again!
    wyndstar wrote: »
    This sounds like so much fun and i'd really really like to attend. but i'm driving in with some friends from BC and we have no idea what time we'll be in town. what time does this typically go on til? cause we could still show up later. (we're staying at the renaissance so i think we could just walk over?)
    I'd have to travel light but i could bring pirate and/or zombie fluxx, and possibly mad zeppelin

As stated in the OP, the rooms are open till 2am. There are always a few die-hards in the lobby until dawn as well.

It's an easy walk from the Rennaissance.

• XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    I went last year, it was pretty cool!

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    At this point I plan on being there. Depends if crew needs my help at setup or not. Not sure what games I'm bringing this year (I see someone else bringing most of the portable SJ Games so I don't need to bring my copies LOL)

This discussion has been closed.