As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Requiring an ID to change a password?

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an account on a game site that I suddenly can't log into anymore and their auto-password system doesn't work for some reason. About 2 months ago I sent them a support email and they just got back to me saying that they require a scan of a government issued ID to reset the password even tho none of the account requires or has my name, address or any other real world info on it. They even specifically said they wanted me to send them a scan of my birth certificate. Is this even legal to request? I'm in the US but I'm pretty sure the company isn't.

Magic Pink on

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It's shitty, but it is legal in the US. Blizzard is known to ask for ID, though not birth certificates. Of course, you do want to be absolutely certain you're dealing with their support - in the case of Blizzard, you always want to do it directly through their live chat support or on the phone, not by email.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I would not send anyone - overseas or otherwise - a scan of your certificate. And probably not of an ID either.

Would you lose much if you can't get into that site? Can you create a new account?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Blizzard has been known to ask for ID in the past because of the amount of WoW accounts stolen through social engineering. But asking for a birth cert? That's way beyond the pale. I wouldn't send it, for any reason. I would call their support if they have a number and speak to someone directly. Make it clear you aren't sending anyone a copy of your birth certificate (which you should keep just as private as your social security card).

If it's a reputable company who I've done business with before (e.g. Blizzard) I may send a copy of my ID, but no my birth certificate.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    do not. send them. your birth certificate.

if this is a trusted company, then sending a copy of a photo ID is not unheard of, but is pretty fucking extreme if money isn't changing hands

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Sounds like the game site may have been compromised. Usually an ID is sufficient to prove your identity- if they want your birth certificate, they may have less-than-legal reasons for wanting it.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    This is why I stopped playing WoW after three months or so; account got hacked and they wanted my ID to restore it. I decided it wasn't worth it.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I don't get the extreme caution. Send it over but black out the numbers.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    I don't get the extreme caution. Send it over but black out the numbers.

identity theft. having a copy of a birth certificate makes it stupid easy to impersonate someone.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    do not email a copy of your birth certificate to anybody under any circumstances

the reason companies (like blizzard) ask for proof of identity in these types of situations is that accounts are frequently compromised via or along with the associated email accounts, because people are dumb and use the same passwords.

In the specific case of blizzard they actually won't help you recover your account unless your actual name is on it and they can verify that it's you, so if the game site in question has the same policy you may be SOL.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah that was the big deal with Blizzard's forums awhile ago, right? They were going to show real names with forum accounts. The Internet responded poorly.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Yeah that was the big deal with Blizzard's forums awhile ago, right? They were going to show real names with forum accounts. The Internet responded poorly.

Yep.

928830626_5PypJ-L.jpg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Folks, I'm not asking if it's a good idea to send my birth certificate. I'm asking if it's LEGAL for a company to require one to change a password. As is, the account is dead to me, I have no intention of sending them anything.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Blizzard still requires a picture of your driver's license to unlink an authenticator. (Has happened to me twice.)

I send them a picture of my license with everything but my picture, the state, and my name blacked out.

I believe that Germany has laws requiring ID for some online game purchases to prevent... something or another. It's causing problems for Hex right now, which processes payments through a German vendor.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I would think they can request anything they want if it doesn't violate other laws - i.e, picture of you doing coke.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Folks, I'm not asking if it's a good idea to send my birth certificate. I'm asking if it's LEGAL for a company to require one to change a password. As is, the account is dead to me, I have no intention of sending them anything.

Can't imagine why it would be illegal. Only related law I can think of is regarding photocopies of military IDs (which is illegal). Otherwise? I don't believe so.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Yeah, from a strictly legal standpoint, I don't see how it's different from a bank or loan officer or college admissions wanting your birth certificate. There's a lot of ways for-profit corporations ask you to give them this information. It's shitty and usually unnecessary, but it's clearly legal.