As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the DragonRegistered User regular
edited November 2014 in Games and Technology
7c9jifr82ejg.png

FAQ:

Q: When will the game be released?
A: November 18th in North America. November 21st elsewhere.

Q: What platforms will the game be released on?

A: PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, and PS4.

Q: What's the deal with multiplayer?
A: Inquisition has a four-person multiplayer campaign that is completely separate from the single-player campaign.

Q: How will the game import my world state?
A: The Dragon Age Keep lets you configure your world state to your liking, and then import it into Inquisition.

Q: How can I find people to play multiplayer with?
A: Add your info to the list, and then check out other players.

Videos:
Your companions:
  • Blackwall (Love interest for female Inquisitors)
  • Sera (Love interest for female Inquisitors)
  • Solas (Love interest for elven female Inquisitors)
  • Dorian (Love interest for male Inquisitors)
  • Cassandra (Love interest for male Inquisitors)
  • Iron Bull (Love interest for both male and female Inquisitors)
  • Cole (No romance available)
  • Vivienne (No romance available)
  • Varric (No romance available)

Your advisors:
  • Cullen (Love interest for human and elven female Inquisitors)
  • Josephine (Love interest for both male and female Inquisitors)
  • Leliana (No romance available)

Playable races:
Warrior Specializations:
Rogue Specializations:
Mage Specializations:

Bassguy on

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    You sided with the werewolves but hate unstable fanatics like the Arishok. You are a complicated man that I just can't understand, Dr. Chaos.
    I sided with the werewolves on most playthroughs (past the first) which is where I'm just dicking around for funsies and killing off everybody that annoys me slightly or playing a role.

On my first run where I went with my gut instincts,
    I beat the crap out of Zathrian until he lifted the curse.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a "side with the werewolves" solution where you could free them from the curse as well as a more "evil" one where you just helped them slaughter the elves and then got werewolves for the final battle?

I never did that one, it was too evil.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    To my knowledge, the three choices are:
    Kill the werewolves - Gets you Dalish archers
    Break the curse - Same
    Kill the Elves - Fucking werewolves aw yiss

Breaking the curse is tricky because you need to pick the right convo choices and have a pretty tough fight with Zatharian.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    The DA Wiki says there are three outcomes:
    1. If you sided with the elves, all the ailing Dalish hunters are cured once you return to camp. Zathrian (or Lanaya, if he died) will honor the Grey Warden treaties and pledge the Dalish army to help you battle the Blight. At this point, Emissary Caron will appear in your Party Camp and you can turn in crafting materials to the Dalish army. If Zathrian did not lift the curse (and wasn't double-crossed), he will later appear in Redcliffe Castle prior to the Final Onlaught, and will fight alongside you against the Archdemon.
    2. If instead you convinced the werewolves to kill the elves, the werewolves will pledge themselves to help you battle the Blight. At this point, Emissary Bulfa will appear in your Party Camp and you can feed him a single nug (though no caged nugs are actually removed from your inventory). After Arl Eamon recovers, Cassian will also be located in the Redcliffe Castle as he and his group were sent ahead by the Lady of the Forest. The Lady herself will later appear in Redcliffe Castle prior to the Final Onlaught, and Swiftrunner will fight alongside you against the Archdemon.
    3. If you chose to side with both and convinced Zathrian to sacrifice himself and lift the curse, the humans will disperse and the elves will honor the treaties. All werewolves that have not been slain will also be removed from the Werewolf Lair and the Brecilian Forest, except from the East Brecilian Forest.
    I usually broker peace, but I never side WITH Zathrian. Dude's no good -- especially not for the people he leads.

He's a fucker, but he does add an interesting angle to Dragon Age lore.
    Namely, that immortality is possible and that one can magically attach oneself to spirits without getting possessed.

Namely, that immortality is possible and that one can magically attach oneself to spirits without getting possessed.
    Yeah. I'm not totally sure how all of that works in conjunction with other bits of the story.

Asunder/DA:O Spoilers:
    Wynne is connected/possessed/whatever by that spirit, but it doesn't seem to have prevented her from aging. Sure, the spirit was the only thing keeping her alive for a time, but she was only supposed to be like 50 or 60 in the main campaign of Origins.

Bassguy wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm not totally sure how all of that works in conjunction with other bits of the story.

Wynne is connected/possessed/whatever by that spirit, but it doesn't seem to have prevented her from aging. Sure, the spirit was the only thing keeping her alive for a time, but she was only supposed to be like 50 or 60 in the main campaign of Origins.
    Different mechanics. Wynne is in symbiosis with a spirit, making her, strictly speaking, an abomination. Zatharian, and possibly Corypheus, have their souls bound to ancient and powerful spirits that are still separate to them. Corypheus, mind you, is just a theory, as his immortality can be explained a few different ways, but he definitely seems to be getting some power from the Old Gods.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

Different mechanics. Wynne is in symbiosis with a spirit, making her, strictly speaking, an abomination. Zatharian, and possibly Corypheus, have their souls bound to ancient and powerful spirits that are still separate to them. Corypheus, mind you, is just a theory, as his immortality can be explained a few different ways, but he definitely seems to be getting some power from the Old Gods.
    Also, the manner in which the bond is formed could matter. Wynne was found by Compassion; most abominations appear to be found by their demons- or at least the first one that responds to their call. From what I remember of Zathrian, it seems like he specifically chose the Lady of the Forest (or what became it) for his little revenge trick.

You know, I think he might be among the worst of the lot as far as non-monster baddies go. He just doesn't care. The people who killed his children have been dead for centuries; he just wants to hurt humans. His people are dying or becoming werewolves themselves because he took them back to the place; he never even considers a non-violent solution like fleeing. It's all about him.

Even the path where you convince him to die is ultimately selfish, as the only thing that convinces him is that he can find peace. The dozens of innocents he is hurting, and the thousands he has hurt over centuries, never enter the equation.

At least Loghain and Meredith believed they were doing the right thing.

He's definitley a bast
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Also, the manner in which the bond is formed could matter. Wynne was found by Compassion; most abominations appear to be found by their demons- or at least the first one that responds to their call. From what I remember of Zathrian, it seems like he specifically chose the Lady of the Forest (or what became it) for his little revenge trick.

You know, I think he might be among the worst of the lot as far as non-monster baddies go. He just doesn't care. The people who killed his children have been dead for centuries; he just wants to hurt humans. His people are dying or becoming werewolves themselves because he took them back to the place; he never even considers a non-violent solution like fleeing. It's all about him.

Even the path where you convince him to die is ultimately selfish, as the only thing that convinces him is that he can find peace. The dozens of innocents he is hurting, and the thousands he has hurt over centuries, never enter the equation.

What I find interesting is that he shows how incredibly dangerous a Keeper can be. Powerful magic plus a persecution complex and a band of followers is a dangerous mix, we've learned that time and time again.

Inquisition idea time thing:
    I'll be interested to see if the Big Bad might be an elven sorcerer from Ancient Arlathan. That'd be cool as hell.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    He's definitley a bast

What I find interesting is that he shows how incredibly dangerous a Keeper can be. Powerful magic plus a persecution complex and a band of followers is a dangerous mix, we've learned that time and time again.

I'll be interested to see if the Big Bad might be an elven sorcerer from Ancient Arlathan. That'd be cool as hell.

Actually, considering the direction the comics featuring Alistair and books leading up to Inquisition, the most likely candidate is either:
    A: A tevinter magister who is an 'old god' worshiper.
    B: A powerful demon
    C: Flemeth (though this is a very long and far stretch)

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    The DA Wiki says there are three outcomes:
    1. If you sided with the elves, all the ailing Dalish hunters are cured once you return to camp. Zathrian (or Lanaya, if he died) will honor the Grey Warden treaties and pledge the Dalish army to help you battle the Blight. At this point, Emissary Caron will appear in your Party Camp and you can turn in crafting materials to the Dalish army. If Zathrian did not lift the curse (and wasn't double-crossed), he will later appear in Redcliffe Castle prior to the Final Onlaught, and will fight alongside you against the Archdemon.
    2. If instead you convinced the werewolves to kill the elves, the werewolves will pledge themselves to help you battle the Blight. At this point, Emissary Bulfa will appear in your Party Camp and you can feed him a single nug (though no caged nugs are actually removed from your inventory). After Arl Eamon recovers, Cassian will also be located in the Redcliffe Castle as he and his group were sent ahead by the Lady of the Forest. The Lady herself will later appear in Redcliffe Castle prior to the Final Onlaught, and Swiftrunner will fight alongside you against the Archdemon.
    3. If you chose to side with both and convinced Zathrian to sacrifice himself and lift the curse, the humans will disperse and the elves will honor the treaties. All werewolves that have not been slain will also be removed from the Werewolf Lair and the Brecilian Forest, except from the East Brecilian Forest.
    I usually broker peace, but I never side WITH Zathrian. Dude's no good -- especially not for the people he leads.

I always did 3. I found it hard to justify taking any "evil" actions in DA.

He's definitley a bast

Actually, considering the direction the comics featuring Alistair and books leading up to Inquisition, the most likely candidate is either:
    A doesn't really make much sense. The Old Gods are in the ground, not the Fade. B is possible, but kind of simplistic. Add to that the fact that no demon has ever opened the Veil alone. C makes no sense. Flemeth is a pragmatic old hag, not an apocalyptic moron.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wasn't there a "side with the werewolves" solution where you could free them from the curse as well as a more "evil" one where you just helped them slaughter the elves and then got werewolves for the final battle?

I never did that one, it was too evil.
    I got those werewolves, but if I remember correctly the elves are real assholes if you're a city elf.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    possibility A makes perfect sense, especially considering
    One of the reason villains in the comics in-between DA2 and DA:I was the part of a dragon cult, and he also was a Tevinter Magister seeking to restore the Imperium back to power. More are possible in the future, as there's a big thing revolving around even the royal bloodline that Alistair's a part of; the Qunari's story of Calenhad instead mentions that he drank the blood of a dying dragon to become a Reaver, and this was after meeting a certain familiar witch... which leads to possibility C:

C could also be possible because Flemeth doesn't simply stand idly by for no reason. She's planning something, and is waiting a very long time for it to happen. She also more than likely has a demonic master that she serves, as she did contract one in order to seek vengeance against those who wronged her in the past. There's also a hint with Sandal mentioning that sometimes there's "a scary old lady telling him bad things in his head". At one point he literally freaks the fuck out about it too, and the woman he describes is a lot like Flemeth. Either way, she's not pragmatic. Everything she does is to grease a wheel and make it keep turning, but to what end? She predicted all the grim things to come, and more than likely has a key role in it later; enough so that even Morrigan fears her still.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    He's definitley a bast

A doesn't really make much sense. The Old Gods are in the ground, not the Fade. B is possible, but kind of simplistic. Add to that the fact that no demon has ever opened the Veil alone. C makes no sense. Flemeth is a pragmatic old hag, not an apocalyptic moron.
    The more I think about it, the harder it is to escape the fan theory that flemeth is the godbaby of one of the earlier old god blights

steam_sig.png
    Here's the audio recording of the "Building a Better Romance" panel BioWare put on for GaymerX2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJceORMYPo

edited July 2014
    People assume Flemeth is just a friendly old grandma with dark magic cookies and milk but I've never seen her that way.

Her true intentions are incredibly vague. She could easily turn into a villain.

She's playing a long game, moving pieces where she wants them for whatever purpose. I don't have a good feeling about it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The question is whether she is (ASoIaF light maybe spoilers?)
    A Varys or a Littlefinger

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Maybe she's just fucking with ye.

edited July 2014
    James Norton voices Cole:
    "Cole in #DAI is played by the wonderfully talented @jginorton.James Norton nailed this character. Am I right @PatrickWeekes @davidgaider ?" -Caroline Livingstone

Bassguy on
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    People assume Flemeth is just a friendly old grandma with dark magic cookies and milk but I've never seen her that way.

Her true intentions are incredibly vague. She could easily turn into a villain.

She's playing a long game, moving pieces where she wants them for whatever purpose. I don't have a good feeling about it.
    Flemeth has turned into one of my favorite characters. I'm looking forward to seeing what the writers are going to do with her. Hopefully her role and background will be expanded upon although I think a better outcome would avoid making her a villain.

"I see everything twice!"

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really, the thing I like about Flemeth is how mysterious she is at the moment.

I mean she obviously knows more than see puts on but whether shes good, evil, or neutral and just likes fucking around with people has yet to be seen.

And honestly, I could see any of those options working out.

Could Flemeth be one of the old gods?

She does have a pretty damn powerful dragon form.

If Tevinter were making a move, I wouldn't be surprised to see her using them since their whole thing was dragon worship.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    If Flemeth needs to be someone other than a crazy powerful, slightly crazy, old lady then I vote one of the magisters that broke into the golden city and is trying to atone. *

*This is assuming Cordyceps or whatever his name was is lying when he says it was already tainted. Which isn't impossible. I mean, really, "IT WAS LIKE THAT WHEN I GOT HERE"? Come on. What's next? "My evil twin did it"?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited July 2014
    Watching the romance panel, funny stuff.

Going to be interesting to see how a dwarf inqusitior can be romantically involved with The Iron Bull and not die an agonizing death by being crushed or bisected.

You should suffer a permanent penalty to constitution after that scene.

Dr. Chaos on
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Going to be interesting to see how a dwarf inqusitior can be romantically involved with The Iron Bull and not die an agonizing death by being crushed or bisected.

Achievement Unlocked: Snu-Snu: IronBull Edition.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Dwarves are stocky. I'd worry about elves.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

Dwarves are stocky. I'd worry about elves.

The real reason they changed elves back : to make it plausible that an elf MIGHT survive a sexual encounter with Iron Bull.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

There's actually a CON minimum to begin the romance. Just for safety reasons.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Could Flemeth be one of the old gods?

She does have a pretty damn powerful dragon form.

If Tevinter were making a move, I wouldn't be surprised to see her using them since their whole thing was dragon worship.

According to DA1 she can take other forms besides a dragon(though you never see them). I think she's just fond of the intimidation that goes along with a giant dragon showing up in front of some superstitious peasants.

Another theory I've seen floating around is that Flemeth could also be Fen'Harel.

Additionally Dragon Age: The World of Thedas mentions that Flemeth was supposedly born at the start of the Towers age, which would mean neither case is true - but nevertheless she appears to have some form of immortality so she is at least tapping into some alien power.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I was always under the impression that she's bound/fused with something from the fade or maybe an old god. So she's kinda like an abomination but different. Not sure where I picked up that idea though.

"I see everything twice!"

Seriously. That was a huge benefit of Isabela. None of those hang-ups about exclusivity.

'Good' thing they're doing their best to spoil the sexuality of every single character then!

steam_sig.png
    Dying to learn more about the new specializations.

Mainly becuase I have no idea what the hell to expect from Necromancer other than pets. Dead pets.

And probably some draining spells from old blood magic ones returning as them like the one that collected health from corpses and such.

Hopefully the return of exploding corpses too

steam_sig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Its funny but the thing I've been looking forward to most is in-depth menus. I need them.

Yeah, I really want to see the revamped skill trees. I mean, they can't be worse then the ones in Origns, but I really want to plan out my build.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Seriously. That was a huge benefit of Isabela. None of those hang-ups about exclusivity.

I actually was impressed at how they handled that. When I went with both Isabella AND Merrill, Isabella developed much quicker, but then insisted we weren't together. Merrill on the other hand was THRILLED that we started seeing each other at all and was Clearly interested in a serious relationship (as soon as it was clear I wasn't going to pull some kind of insanely cruel public humiliation biz on her). Isabella then saw that and automatically moved into "lost her chance" mode, with various dialogue about town reflecting her disappointment... but also her complete acceptance of the situation and well wishing for Merrill.

Honestly it was the most organic way I've ever seen a Bioware game deal with the fact that I'm a flirty noncommittal man whore in them.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I hope DA:I has an option for Flemeth to show up as a rotting corpse, she opens her mouth to give a non-answer again and you behead her. Then set her on fire. Then Morrigan sets her on fire again. So, really, the game is going to disappoint in one regard.

Xeddicus on
This discussion has been closed.