As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    So, I beat the game a bit back. Started watching an LP of the game.

I never found the screen where you get the fishing pole. I didn't realize you could go to that area.

I was shocked.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So for anyone who has played both the 3DS and Wii U version, can you tell me which one you'd recommend? Having trouble deciding between the two.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I had so much trouble with Plague Knight's level and I don't even know why. It's not even that difficult but I kept getting knocked off into a pit.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I kept doing that in Mole Knights level. I died upward of thirty times in that stupid level and there was really no reason I should have. :?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So for anyone who has played both the 3DS and Wii U version, can you tell me which one you'd recommend? Having trouble deciding between the two.

Well the excellent sprite work looks better on the 3DS because of the smaller screen, and they layered the 3D effects really well to work with what the game has. Also, streetpasses and it being portable is a plus.

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Got hit with the Tinker Knight glitch that freezes the game up on the 3DS. have to do his stage all over again. Luckily I'm loving this game and I don't mind replaying parts.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I die for no reason on EVERY stage. Don't ever watch me play video games.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Picked this up today, already tackling the Plague Knight. So much explosion!

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Yeah, Plague is the one boss I could never nail down. He's just too fast and all over the place to determine a pattern. He's kind of a hit, run and hope boss.

• Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    This game is so good. It's all my favorite parts of Zelda 2 and Mega Man without the crap that kept me away from most of those games. They def accomplished what they set out to do when they made this one.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Yeah, Plague is the one boss I could never nail down. He's just too fast and all over the place to determine a pattern. He's kind of a hit, run and hope boss.

I just spam Chaos Orb everywhere and pray. [/my strategy for every boss]

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »
    Yeah, Plague is the one boss I could never nail down. He'os just too fast and all over the place to determine a pattern. He's kind of a hit, run and hope boss.

I just spam Chaos Orb everywhere and pray. [/my strategy for every boss]

Bosses have weaknesses.
    Plague is weak to the orb for example

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    So, in Ducktales Mode (every surface can be pogo'd on), it's possible to enter the Enchantress's room, which is all breakable blocks, in pogo mode.

Don't do this.

I wanted to see if I'd end up falling through the floor and dying in the cutscene. Instead, it just crashes the game.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally beat it today. Final play time was 5:29. I really enjoyed the many nods to classic NES games in many aspects of the game design. I just wish there had been more of it. Several levels leading up to a boss level for each Knight would have been nice (think SMB3). But for $15 I can't expect that much game.

Great stuff. I hope more quality indie titles like this come to Wii U.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Exarch wrote: »
    This game is so good. It's all my favorite parts of Zelda 2 and Mega Man without the crap that kept me away from most of those games. They def accomplished what they set out to do when they made this one.

It's nice to find someone else that likes Zelda 2. Most people I know shit all over it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It's possible I've played and beaten Adventure of Link as many times as Link to the Past, and certainly more than any of the others. Maybe just because it's such a break from the formula, but that game really grabs me, and the music is phenomenal.

In addition to a Shovel Knight X that refined and sped up the Shovel Knight gameplay, I would also accept a Shovel Knight 2 with more RPG aspects. Or whatever else the team makes.

• Options
    Eh, Super Shovel Knight would be cool, but let's be real here. The game everyone really wants to play is Shield Knight.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I could see them putting out a riff on the kinds of games Treasure used to make based on Shield Knight, actually.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Finally beat it today. Final play time was 5:29. I really enjoyed the many nods to classic NES games in many aspects of the game design. I just wish there had been more of it. Several levels leading up to a boss level for each Knight would have been nice (think SMB3). But for $15 I can't expect that much game.

Great stuff. I hope more quality indie titles like this come to Wii U.

Well, Guacamelee's on the Wii U now (and it's the super duper edition, to boot). There's also some that looked good that were funded on Kickstarter. Hex Heroes seems like an interesting concept, and Heart Forth, Alicia looks like a REALLY good metroidvania. Oh, and Teslagrad should be coming out on it soon, if it's not already out. So I wouldn't worry too much on that front.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Eh, Super Butt Butt would be cool, but let's be real here. The game everyone really wants to play is Shield Butt.

FTFY.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Exarch wrote: »

It's nice to find someone else that likes Zelda 2. Most people I know shit all over it

Have we talked? 'Cuz I love Zelda II.

NES Zelda 4 Life.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I want a Super Shovel Knight based on SNES technology, with gratuitous use of Mode 7 everywhere. Everywhere.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It's possible I've played and beaten Adventure of Link as many times as Link to the Past, and certainly more than any of the others. Maybe just because it's such a break from the formula, but that game really grabs me, and the music is phenomenal.

In addition to a Shovel Knight X that refined and sped up the Shovel Knight gameplay, I would also accept a Shovel Knight 2 with more RPG aspects. Or whatever else the team makes.

It's funny you mention Zelda 2's music, this was released today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_r_TCDG58

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    Are the bosses weak to any of the special items, kinda like how Mega Man bosses were weak to specific weapons. I'm having a difficult time trying to beat all of them on new game plus.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    New episode of Extra Credits has a fucking rad remix of Shovel Knight's main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZY6fJ3ONs

• Options
    edited September 2014
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    Are the bosses weak to any of the special items, kinda like how Mega Man bosses were weak to specific weapons. I'm having a difficult time trying to beat all of them on new game plus.

Sorta.

Like against moleknight the glove is more useful and gearknight is weak to his weapon in form one
    They dont deal critical damage though

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Throwing Anchor speeds up Propellor Knight a lot.

Chaos Orb helps with Plague Knight and Polar Knight.

And you really want the Phase Locket for Polar knight.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    There's no way I could have beaten Polar Knight without the Phase Locket. That battle is ridiculous.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    There's no way I could have beaten Polar Knight without the Phase Locket. That battle is ridiculous.

Really? I didn't have a lot of trouble in boss fights. I think Propeller Knight gave me a little trouble? Then Enchantress took a couple tries. There's a lot of fights where being able to pogo on top of the knights for easy hits.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The catch is that Polar Knight is going to fill about half the walkable area of the arena with instant death spikes. He's much akin to Propeller Knight (who was my major bugbear thanks to managing to completely miss the Anchor) in that respect; you can lose the battle instantly at any time.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    This is probably my favorite track from the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-IFeszWwo

This game is awesome. It is the best game so far this year, although the new Super Smash Bros. may dethrone it.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Shovel Knight coming to Playstation platforms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ll5grB6C9Bw

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Only disappointed there's no Vita port. :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Wait, what? Even after there's the big Vita logo at the end ?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I can dig it. Nice to see more people getting this.

• Options

Well people have to own something for it to get ports

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    PMAvers wrote: »

Wait, what? Even after there's the big Vita logo at the end ?

Oh snap, missed that. It's just that the title of the video omits it - "Shovel Knight PS4 PS3"

Well people have to own something for it to get ports

I mean, it debuted on the Wii U...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also, Shovel Knight has sold 300,000 to date.

That's really good for a digital title.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to our Boss mode and other stuff?

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    The playable boss modes you mean? They've said they're currently working on Plague Knight. They have a bit to show off for it, but said they don't want to give a release date yet since they aren't fully sure when he'll be ready. When he's released it will be it's own campaign/story.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I bought this and its everything the Rave reviews say it is. The devs clealy love Duck Tales and all things old school. Its fantastic.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767