As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Starting a Webcomic. To Gore or not to Gore? (NSFW)

OverlordThundersnowOverlordThundersnow Registered User new member
edited July 2014 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone! First post here!

I'm ratcheting up to begin my first ever webcomic. Very exciting!

My main point of consternation at this beginning phase is...Gore or No Gore? Once that door is opened, it cannot be closed. Yet for me, with my art style, I feel that I can pull it off.

I constantly come back to this though, because it WILL be a turn off for some potential readers. However, it might retain more readers than not, especially in this day and age of the Walking Dead and Marvel Zombies mega-hits.

Regardless, I thought it best to bring this topic to an art forum and gauge reactions from professionals and aspiring professionals, some of whom may have already gone down one road or the other and be able to offer me valuable feedback that I otherwise would not be privy to.

Here's a sampling of each:

s8gt9rpirl1o.jpg

etamlz8cz07e.jpg

Thank you for your time!

My Art Blog: www.OverlordThundersnow.com
OverlordThundersnow on

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'd post a sample of each!

(make sure to label NSFW)

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    New threads are meant to have artwork in them. Please post artwork if you decide to create a new thread.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for re-opening my post and letting me update it with pictures, Grifter!

OverlordThundersnow on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Your content will dictate what kind of readers you'll get. It sounds like you wanna do gore. Go ahead, go(re) crazy.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I agree that you should draw what you like, ultimately, your content should be whatever you enjoy drawing the most.

But dude your colors. They are so bright and saturated I cannot focus on anything in that first one. Also, reduce the size and prominence of your signature, its super distracting and unnecessary.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    But dude your colors. They are so bright and saturated I cannot focus on anything in that first one.

Speaking of which, if you ever want to print this, it will get severely dulled down. Not a problem if you're sticking 100% to web.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Wut Ruka said.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice!

Also, sorry about the signature, I had to resize and jam my art on here real fast, and I misjudged the signature layer.