As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Bedtime Story

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Bedtime Story

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• currypcurryp Registered User regular
    Rofl !

• VanDerSparVanDerSpar Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind this arc continuing. Great story so far.

• Three Headed MonkeyThree Headed Monkey Registered User regular
    Aww. Glad to see a smile back on Seventeen's face.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    a bed time story always brings a happy face :)

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Malachi managed to change pants without taking his shoes off. Impressive.

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Malachi managed to change pants without taking his shoes off. Impressive.

After changing his pants, he stepped immediately back into his shoes, as to avoid walking barefoot across the dirty-ass floor of the cabin.

That's what I would do, anyway...

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Ahh, that was a beautiful story! The arc itself, and investment banking in the early 70's.

• MonkeyJoeMonkeyJoe Registered User new member
    Beautiful ending.

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    awwwwww

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    @Invisible
    There is an unspoken rule against nit-picking.

• hiryuuhiryuu Registered User new member
    One of my favorites! Keep up the amazing work!

• iarrghzombieiarrghzombie Registered User new member
    @Invisible
    The pants are the exact same, notice the stripes in panel 1 and the same stripes in panel's 7&8. Boo Hiss to you.

• Zorlock DarksoulZorlock Darksoul Registered User regular
    Freakin' adorable.

• periazhadperiazhad Registered User regular
    I was worried for a moment the book would turn Seventeen off reading. I should have known better.

• pbdbpbdb Registered User new member
    The face 17 makes when Malachi reads to her melted my heart.

• RijorRijor Registered User new member
    @IARRGHZOMBIE
    And now you went and spoke it. Game over, man. Game over!

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    the first rule of unspoken rules is they are unspoken.
    the second rule of ... (i couldn't resist) <3 xoxo

alternate text for some of the speech bubbles in "Little Cabin in the Camp" (ala "Little House on the Prairie".):

(tight shot - cabin window)
    "good night, Malachi. good night, Brian!"

(pan left, zoom out - crane mounted)
    "good night, Seventeen."
    "good night, Seventeen! good night, Malachi!"
    "good night, Brian!"

(wide shot - helo mounted)
    "Malachi, where do banks come from?"
    ". . . . . . . (exaggerated snoring)"

p.s. i love that Brian is literally on 'overwatch'.

• CaffinatedCaffinated Registered User regular
    @streever but now that you've spoken it it can no longer be unspoken. YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL.

• metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    Awww, now that is the happy ending we were all waiting for, 17's look of joy at being read too is pretty cool and everyone seems to be at peace in WeDon'tWantcha land again.

Surprisingly easy cat checking in to make sure 17 is okay.

• rkellyrkelly Registered User new member
    must be some dust in my eye, aw jeez

• lindstorlindstor Registered User regular
    BOOO to all the nit pickers. I choose to write the extra story in my head. Malachi takes his shoes off and changes his pants, but then still needs to walk about the cabin and maybe go to the bathroom, so he puts his shoes back on. Then when he is finally ready for bed he takes them back off. SO SIMPLE EVEN A BABY LIKE ME CAN DO IT!! Also I got a little chokey as well. I freaking LOVE these characters!

Signed Parker
    www.stickitinyourearhole.com

"I'll tell you once,
    and I'll tell you again.
    There's always a prime
    between n and 2n."
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I think some people might be taking a comment meant in jest as a serious criticism. Since this is my favorite comic ever (and I have the merchandise to prove it), I'd just like to say it's not a serious criticism. I just noticed he had changed pants and still had his costume-defining shoes on (like Brian's hoody) and found it a little funny.

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Hehe, Elephant Candy.

Very sweet ending to a bittersweet arc, masterfully done as always Katie, you continue to be a master in your field.

p.s. found the kittie :p

• osaryesosaryes Registered User regular
    AAAWWW YEAH! Screw LOTR and Harry Potter. The 70's Investment Banking saga is the most epic saga. What they don't know is that the sequels of that book will be darker and edgier.

• antevillainantevillain Registered User new member
    First time commenting. Just wanted to say I enjoyed this arc a lot. Also, in regards to the shoes thing: Was I really the only kid who occasionally did weird crap like change pants without taking my shoes off? I dunno what it is about being a kid, but sometimes you just get these ideas, like, "why do things in order anyway? Screw the man!" and then next thing you know, you're fighting your sneakers through the knees of a pair of jeans and falling all over yourself. But it's the principle of the matter.

Also this may have actually been an account of something that happened more like in my twenties, but whatevs. We're all kids inside. Right? ...

• P2Mc28P2Mc28 Registered User regular
    This was such a satisfying conclusion!

ALSO I JUST REALIZED I WAS SO BUSY I FORGOT TO FIND THE KITTY LAST COMIC!!! *clicks back*

• P2Mc28P2Mc28 Registered User regular
    *phew* -- nobody panic, I found it. Carry on.

• BanterBanter Registered User new member
    I made an account to leave this comment. This arc elevates the strip as a whole. The arc was handled extremely well, and this ending is fucking heartwarming. This is awesome. You are awesome.

• ZehavaZehava Registered User new member
    I am so totally addicted to this now. Please don't ever stop.

• GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Katie, I haven't posted here before but I had to thank you. This page, especially the immeasurable sweetness of panel 8, moved me so deeply. (And I didn't even know the backstory!) This is the kind of comic people cut out and put on their fridge. ;_;

• malkavlad360malkavlad360 Registered User new member
    I love this comic. I've been following it since day 1 and it just keeps developing more and more heart.

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Don't tease me like that Kaite, I have to know what happens next in the take of the 1972 Investment Banking Study Guide!

• cubbylostboycubbylostboy Registered User regular
    There's something reassuring about having Brian on top of the roof keeping an eye on the stars as if to be there just in case.

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    It's fun to charter an accountant
    And sail the wild accountancy
    To find, explore, the funds offshore
    and scourge the sholls of bankruptcy.

;)

• AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    Nicely done: the ending, the arc, the comic in general. There are still tons of questions of course: how did Seventeen's sibs know about the camp? what's the true nature of the camp? (I was on board the purgatory theory, but Brian and Seventeen aged [or at least their hair grew] since the flashback, so maybe not). Has the river been poisoned with Elephant Candy? Will more campers recall their back stories? What is Proto Kid's origin? I MUST KNOW!

But all that's for later.

For now, nicely done. And thanks.

• CaffinatedCaffinated Registered User regular
    Have you considered pitching this to cartoon network? There's huge potential here for an animated series I think.

• blueshoalsblueshoals Registered User regular
    I'm not sure, but the look on Seventeen's face in panel 8 looks like more than just appreciation. She lost a great deal of innocence in one day.
    When I first saw panel 8, I thought I recognized a look of consideration, rather than just gratitude. Like she's not just grateful to be read to, but also "letting" Malachi read because it seems important to him, even if it might seem boring to her.
    If that's true, it's an awfully mature thing to do, compared to how little she cared about books before.
    Character growth! This comic's got it!

• VisionAriVisionAri Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Remember, though, that Seventeen had tried to get one of her brothers to read to her and was soundly rejected, so she's probably just happy (especially in light of her recovered memories) that someone cares enough about her to actually do it..

VisionAri on
  • cmgreenecmgreene Registered User regular
    Awesome.

• ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    There is nothing but the present.

8th frame is so very cute.