As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HAIL HYDRA! and let slip the [WATCHDOGS] of war!

13»

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Camera covered IED grid, focus pills at ready, cap him in the shins?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    @Bedigunz You basically have to make them die in a horrific car crash. At certain points when you go through an intersection or other environmental elements you can control you will see Neutralize come up. This means there is a good chance you can disable the vehicle and kill the occupant. Sometimes it just disables the vehicle and they make a run for it, that case run them over. So far I have only had one where I neutralized the car and the target was killed. One other time the target tried to run and was run over by one of their own guys. That's some justice right there :)

Oh I am Greatmoon01 on uplay

Whenever I kill the target I get a "Mission Failed. You were supposed to take down the target" meaning that I shouldn't have killed him. Also when I try to neutralize a steam pipe or a traffic jam, his entourage just starts shooting at me, even though I'm like two blocks away.

Any tips?

blackout also works for stopping folks from shooting if its dark out, but normally I just set up a little vehicle barricade shoot everyone except my target, jam coms if anyone calls the cops/reinforcements and then take down the target.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Sometimes I forget that blackout doesn't really do anything at noon.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Pretty much all of my playtime yesterday was Aiden standing on the street as I waited for the online to find me a match while I surfed the forums. I kind of wish that could be faster, as an individual session might not take long at all.

When it's working, I love it. Highlights so far have been:
    • Causing a traffic jam to create loads of cars to hide in, then hiding in my hacking target's car once he got out to try and find me
    • Becoming effectively invisible by hiding in a garbage truck, which hopefully taught my target something about ignoring the much-maligned civic workers of our society
    • Honking at my target as he walked in front of my car to keep up the pretence of being an NPC (and it working)
    • Finding a tailing target who was trying to troll invaders by standing in the open waiting for people to approach him, but not realising that you can be tailed by camera

As with other Ubisoft open world games, now that I've got the tools to play around it will be ages before I do any plot. He's kind of a jerk so far, so no big loss.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Aiden engages in an obscene amount of cognitive dissonance, ludo narrative and otherwise, which is really authentic for a hacktivist

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Aiden engages in an obscene amount of cognitive dissonance, ludo narrative and otherwise, which is really authentic for a hacktivist

Some of the missions were making me laugh because of all of this.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    as with all games in which it is possible to drive where cars ought not go / take ridiculous ramps, i am having a good time and laughing like a damn loon. i am actively hostile towards the plot and protagonist, but try to keep quiet on that since the beau is still kinda hyped for the game. meanwhile, i'll be careening around, pulling donuts, and (unsuccessfully) dodging NPCs at max speed, "Sorry, citizen!"

i think i just keep it comparing it to Saints Row III and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, since those are the last two shooty/drivey/stealthy games i invested heavily in, and it just doesn't measure up.

i realize it's closer to a GTA than either of those, so while GTA IV's Niko was into bad shit, i found his motivations and personality way more relatable than Aiden's. maybe that's by design, but there is some clunnnnnky writing that makes me think that "gritty misunderstood genius" was the guiding theme on his profile, rather than "self-deluding hacktivist with a strong sense of familial obligation."

when i dipped into GTA's plot, i didn't sigh at the triteness, but i guess "immigrant makes good/bad" is just less prominent in gaming than a revengeance arc -- which would be fine if it were delivered well. (see: Ezio Auditore di Forenze. love that guy.) Aiden's a real fuckin creep, so that doesn't help. along with the capital-A Acting with a gravelly Batman voice, but i digress. it's at least revived my interest in encountering a game in which i do not relate to or dislike the main character but still find the plot compelling or believable. i'm just vexed because i feel like there's potential with the gameplay -- i went in without expectations or info, and this is where it stands. anyway.

i did get invaded while at the junkyard, which was unfortunate for that dude since it was COMPLETELY deserted. so hiding two feet behind me, even in the rainy night, was less sneaky than one might hope.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Every time the news talked about "this complicated man", I thought "Just because you keep saying it, Ubisoft..."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well if we're gonna start comparing protagonists to Ezio Auditore then this is an exercise in futility

• Options
    If you actually listen to the audio logs and the ones you get from the horrible, horrible ctOS breach missions, you'll find Aiden's a messed up guy, not really relatable. That's fine; like I related to any GTA style character anyway

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The only problem Aiden has with ctOS is that he isn't in charge of it, watching everything that happens on some Dark Knight-esque super monitor.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    If you have a "check your NAT settings" error, there is a potential solution:
    Try the following: In your gamer profile, documents/my games/watchdogs/folder/GamerProfile, change EnableNatTraversal to =0

• Options
    and SPEAKING of Watch Dogs and Assassins, spoilers for some of the references
    apparently one of the criminal convoy targets is Olivier Garneau of Abstergo
    upon taking the mission Aiden sends him a text that says "Welcome to Chicago. Oh, and... requiescat in pace."

And I was like hey man, hey
    hey
    That's not your thing

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well if we're gonna start comparing protagonists to Ezio Auditore then this is an exercise in futility

I think Wei Shen and The Boss could at least score a low passing grade if we did that.

"Your concern's really moving. You know, I appreciate that. I'm suddenly realizing I should have never dropped out of art school. I could have made it, I could have been a real somebody. Thank you for showing me the light, officer."

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    i mentioned Ezio because Ubisoft revenge plot. but that is a high standard, true.

rambling:
    i'm trying to think of good examples of protagonists i dislike (by design), but still find interesting or compelling, or were even complex enough that i mostly considered them distasteful but found some attributes admirable.

[edit: and not played for comedic value. otherwise, Overlord, etc.]

movies, it's easy: Training Day was good for that, as is Collateral. i didn't get far into The Last of Us, but apparently Joel is a good quality antihero, and while Agent 47 is largely a blank slate (heh), i think the Hitman games might qualify. Kratos! Kratos was a total jerk, and it made sense with his backstory. but i was super into mythology when i was younger, and the mechanics were really fun, as well. okay, so there's my villainous protagonist.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    You know I've tried really hard to get into Watch Dogs main plot but I just couldn't.

The main plot itself is so boring and the characters are even more boring. If I didn't doubt Ubisoft's self-awareness I would think that the plot was some kind of critique through parody.

As for the gameplay, its pretty much a poor man's GTA with an underutilized hacking gimmick thrown on top.

Like...if I was to say anything about Watch Dogs, its biggest crime is how absolutely mediocre everything is.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I found the story interesting enough that I always wanted to know what happened next, but it definitely has issues.

What I really want is Abstergo-themed story DLC. C'mon Ubisoft, it's easy money!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh, I've personally found it to be your standard revenge plot and laugh-fully predictable. Not to mention the fact that the main character emotes like a rock and they're careful to never break his noir-esque masculine posturing and god I had to force my eyes not to roll out of their sockets.

And from what I've heard about later plot points it doesn't sound like it gets much better.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh, I've personally found it to be your standard revenge plot and laugh-fully predictable. Not to mention the fact that the main character emotes like a rock and they're careful to never break his noir-esque masculine posturing and god I had to force my eyes not to roll out of their sockets.

And from what I've heard about later plot points it doesn't sound like it gets much better.

What?
    But they kill off the girl! It's like, dramatic and totally unexpected except that everything ever does it!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The WD central story continues to be so dumb and bland that I still haven't made it out of the first act, and I've logged ten hours or so in the game.

Luckily, I really, really love all the side content.

• Options
    Yeah. That's the thing. Like I was okay with the game while I stuck to the side content. Like his cheesy monologues before he went to deliver some VIGILANTE JUSTICE!!! annoyed me but it was whatever.

Then I played the main plot and I just got more and more annoyed with the game.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Personally I thought the gameplay was a ton of fun and well done. In contrast, I had to force myself to finish GTA IV and I still need to get back to GTA V sometime.

I must've played a different Watch Dogs because I experienced a bunch of cool uses of hacking throughout the game. The driving has a Split/Second-cross-GTA vibe and the vehicles all feel sturdy. The gunplay is solid if not imaginative. Lots of the encounters fell Arkham-esque, offering numerous stealth and combat options. In a few places you can clear a whole area just with the camera, not even setting foot in the restricted area.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Yeah. And it ain't anything I haven't seen from any other stealth game. Only difference was the medium in which you were manipulating stuff.

Also, if you call the vehicles lack of traction sturdiness I don't know what to say.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    well it's different in that it's a GTA style stealth game

I also think it probably has the most to gain from a sequel; there is so much potential in the basic content structure that was underutilized in this game, presumably from all the work they put into set design and building a GTA game from scratch

Paladin on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I made the choice to barrel through all the story missions so they were out of the way and I could just do the part I actually like, the side stuff

That was a bad decision

Because the story is so bad it drained me of all my want to continue playing the game

I've got about 2 and a half weeks more to get all I can out of it and get it the hell back to Gamestop

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    @‌pooka

When it comes to the plot, I feel it's best that you probably don't sympathize with Aiden much. Rather I've taken to looking at him and being like "Aiden, you call yourself a fixer, but what is it that you actually fix?"

Also SPOILERS
    By the end Aiden gains a measure of self-awareness you'd never really see come out of most video game protagonists. He basically figures out that the problem all along has been him, his actions, his motivations, and the toxic anger he's been holding on to for so long.

Of course, he only has this reaction if you elect not to kill Maurice. But then I don't know of too many people who went ahead and did that, simply because most of them, like Aiden at that point, were so thoroughly disenchanted with further needless bloodshed that they elected to walk away and live and let live.

• Options

I never actually like Ezio. In all honesty I was tired of him after the second one. Never made it through the third one because of him.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I never actually like Ezio. In all honesty I was tired of him after the second one. Never made it through the third one because of him.

You'd best give me a wide berth at PAX, son

• Options
    I was gonna give you a wide berth anyways on account of how smelly you are.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I think Jordi was my favorite character in this.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like ezio.

But fuck if the story in the first two were bad. To the point I don't really remember them other than, he wronged you and you need to kill him and he wronged you and so on and so forth ad infintium.

The gameplay of how you kill them was pretty fun! And ezio grew as a character, which was good! But the storyline itself was pretty blah.

• Options
    The world around Ezio was pretty cool. Jumping around in Renaissance Italy and learning all the history and stuff was really great.

• Options
    Nope, sorry T-Bone when apparently I can unload a half dozen clips directly into that heavy's face, you're not getting saved.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Once you get the Destroyer sniper rifle heavies become like zero problem to deal with.

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    Just wrapped this up. Campaign and most of the side stuff.

I liked it. Narratively it's a mess and the main character is a douche, but mechanically it really works. The driving and especially the gun play are great fun. I especially loved the 'gang hideout' missions - I pretended I was playing a Punisher game and had a great time.

My advice to anyone yet to try it - get your hands on the grenade launcher a.s.a.p. Solves so many problems.