As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do you believe but cannot prove?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe this thread rests upon the ever pervasive misunderstanding of what proof is and when it applies.

Oh, wait, I can prove that.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I believe this thread rests upon the ever pervasive misunderstanding of what proof is and when it applies.

I was going to bring that up, but there was already a tangent on belief.

I'll support a petition for a change of the thread's title, though.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DodgeBlan, what you said in your first post, I believe that too.

I believe in God. I believe that Jesus Christ was his son. I believe that Mary bore him as a virgin and he was crucified to save us from our sins, so we could be forgiven when we die.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Captain Crunch is a future version of Captain America.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe I'm the only one who truly exists.

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That the system of mathematical logic that we use cannot lead to contradiction.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    JesusChrist.

How can they fill an entire book with things that real, world famous scientists believe though cannot prove whereas everyday forum denizens are grinding to a halt at the simple question?

There are NO entries in the book that say "EVERYTHING I BELIEVE OR THINK HAS A WATERTIGHT BASIS IN FACTUAL DATA. ERROR" simply because sometimes people think things, for whatever reason, that are not or cannot be proven. at least not yet. thats how discoveries get discovered!

I actually don't believe you if you say everything in your head is there because of concrete facts.

Well, you just did a great job of answering your own question. "I believe many of the posters of this forum or liars and/or I know their minds better than they do."

Put me down for..."hubris," I guess. Not so much that the universe punishes the overconfident, necessarily, but that the overconfidence itself is to be avoided. I even go through the trouble of knocking on wood or, if there is no wood, knocking on something.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe, with absolute conviction, that my mother is sleeping with the plumber.

No proof, but theres NO other explanation.

Inx on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Here's something I believe to most likely be true, but can not prove:

There are aliens. Now, they probably don't look like little white versions of us, and I highly doubt they've ever visited here, and I doubt even more they'd waste their discovery of us by using anal probes and making crop circles.

Hell, I doubt they are anywhere near us, and probably don't even have the tech to get out of their galaxy or even off of their own planet.

I just find it so highly unlikely that in the entire vastness of the universe that we would be the only planet with intelligent life on it, of course, I can't prove it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    romanlevinromanlevin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that there is no God. Maybe some god, but no God.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe there is life somewhere outside our solar system.
    I also believe global warming isn't as cracked up as it's supposed to be.
    I'm pretty much that way with all the fad scares: bird flu, mad cow disease, cipro/anthrax.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    romanlevinromanlevin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty much that way with all the fad scares: bird flu, mad cow disease, cipro/anthrax.

Except this time we all gonn' die.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    romanlevin wrote: »

Except this time we all gonn' die.
    Yeah and Hurricane Katrina was a product of too much carbon dioxide. :roll:
    We haven't had a major hurricane this year people.
    I swear it's global warming only when the weather goes their way.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe a lot of things.

many many things.

I believe them, because I can't prove them.

The earth is round, and more than 6,000 years old.
    The sun will come up tomorrow
    I am talking to other people on the internet
    I am a carbon based life form
    My interpretation of reality is subjective

Being less of an pedantic twat:
    the universe will tend punish those that do evil, eventually.
    at least some of the random ideas that pop through my head are caused by a guiding force.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe in Bigfoot. Too much unexplored forest to say with 100% certainty that there is no such thing. Always have believed in it, as far back as I can remember.

cr0w on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There is an energy of some kind that binds the universe together in more than just a physical sense, and karma exists as a way to balance the energy out. When people say "God", this energy force is what comes to mind for me, not some old, bearded guy in the sky.

(And no, I don't think this energy will allow me to do force grip if I try really hard)

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It would be cool if Karma (and when I think of Karma I think of karma on the more personal level) was real, but I've just seen so much evidence to the contrary.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I believe most people in america use the term Karma improperly.

redx on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    redx wrote: »

Yes, they do. They believe that karma means, if I do something good, and put out good energy, then good things will happen to me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe that most cops in the U.S. are corrupt, or, at the very least, stand by and allow corruption to occur (which makes them corrupt, in my book).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    I believe that most cops in the U.S. are corrupt, or, at the very least, stand by and allow corruption to occur (which makes them corrupt, in my book).

I feel this is a rather logical extension of power corrupts, as cops have power over basic citizens.

That is to say, I think it would be hard to NOT be corrupted by the power that the position of being a cop entails, and respect anyone that can pull it off.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Thinatos wrote: »
    I feel this is a rather logical extension of power corrupts, as cops have power over basic citizens.

That is to say, I think it would be hard to NOT be corrupted by the power that the position of being a cop entails, and respect anyone that can pull it off.
    Indeed, however, it's not something I can really prove, and it's not really something that can be measure statistically.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe in free will.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yes, they do. They believe that karma means, if I do something good, and put out good energy, then good things will happen to me.
    I'm talking about karma in the sense that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, in some way, even down to human actions. Not "I give to charity, so I'll soon find the love of my life!". That's just silly.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Quazar wrote: »

I'm talking about karma in the sense that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, in some way, even down to human actions. Not "I give to charity, so I'll soon find the love of my life!". That's just silly.
    That's still not karma.

• Options
    edited September 2007

That's still not karma.

"The explanation of karma can differ per tradition. Usually it is believed to be a sum of all that an individual has done, is currently doing and will do. The results or "fruits" of actions are called karma-phala. Karma is not about retribution, vengeance, punishment or reward; karma simply deals with what is. The effects of all deeds actively create past, present and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to others. In religions that incorporate reincarnation, karma extends through one's present life and all past and future lives as well. It is cumulative."

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Everything is going to be alright.

Good call. This one for me also.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

That's still not karma.

As someone whose religion actually features the principle of karma I can confirm the observation that most people don't use the term properly.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

That's still not karma.

As someone whose religion actually features the principle of karma I can confirm the observation that most people don't use the term properly.
    Buddhist or Hindu?
    Also, what path are you, if Buddhist?

• Options
    edited September 2007
    That's still not karma.
    Oh, for fuck's sake, people just use it to mean that in general, what you do eventually comes around again, good or bad. The modern usage doesn't equal the historic, technical usage; whoop-de-friggin'-do. See also: faggot.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually Thinatos, it's less modern usage versus historical usage, and more regional/religious varieties.

People should use Karma to mean their specific, religious karma beliefs, and use "what goes around comes around" if they are just trying to say people reap what they sow.

Otherwise your just muddying the waters and creating un-needed confusion over word definitions.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

That's still not karma.

Buddhist or Hindu?
    Also, what path are you, if Buddhist?

Sant Mat, which is closer to Sikhism than anything else.

@Than - when most people use it they usually don't apply it in a way that actually works. Expecting what you do karmically to come back to you in this life or even your next fifteen, is especially laughable.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually Thinatos, it's less modern usage versus historical usage, and more regional/religious varieties.

People should use Karma to mean their specific, religious karma beliefs, and use "what goes around comes around" if they are just trying to say people reap what they sow.

Otherwise your just muddying the waters and creating un-needed confusion over word definitions.
    Yes, and people should also always use standardized punctuation and capitalization, and everyone should speak exactly the same language, so as to facilitate communication across all barriers.

Unfortunately, this is the real world. Get used to it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Like Arr said, there are many things you suspect, or think could be true (or false), but there is nothing that I actually believe yet can't prove. I don't see anything wrong with that, either.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It'll all work out all right in the end.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RavincrisisRavincrisis __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Loch Ness Monster >=O

Ravincrisis on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Sometimes I wish you borderline aspie fucks would just accept a thread in the spirit in which its meant and have some fun with it, but nooooooo

ET life, a mid-century living-standards crash due to sheer systemic overload, the superiority of shiraz over any other varietal, that most people's lives are hamstrung by chance and misfortune, some kind of vague global subconcious.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    It'll all work out all right in the end.

oh yeah, that too.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    the superiority of shiraz over any other varietal

filthy filthy lies.

redx on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    the superiority of shiraz over any other varietal
    filthy filthy lies.
    *hurls down glove*

PISTOLS AT DAWN, SIR

(well, pinot noir is pretty awesome, but you can't get the good stuff on my budget here)

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg