As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I think I'm ready for tomorrow's game. (spoiler'd for size)
    jqs8g0n.jpg

mRdSOTU.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    are those Unseen versions of the Warhammer and Archer?

also, what variants are you bringing to the field? (just curious)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Those are the reseen Archer and Warhammer

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Those are the reseen Archer and Warhammer

oh, nice. In the line art in the books it's hard to tell how close they kept them to the original. Those minis look nice.

Are they from Iron Wind Metals?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited May 2014
    They are, there's two different Archer loadouts and quite a few different loadouts for the Warhammer

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I think these might be Unseen versions? They're not the Reseen IIC versions. Speaking of which, I think my next mechs are going to be a Stinger, Wasp and Phoenix Hawk...

We'll probably be playing Alpha Strike tomorrow; I'm leaning towards WHM-7S (5/4/2 woo) and ARC-8M. I'm avoiding 'Mechs with C3 Slave systems since I don't yet have anything that can carry a Master.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Got three games of Alpha Strike in yesterday.

Game 1: My Warhammer and LRM Carrier vs Perseus and Wraith. I lost.

Game 2: We switched. I lost again.

Game 3: Starter set, 12v12. It ran a bit late so we had to call it but I lost 1-3.

So yeah, I got wrecked. Hopefully next gameday will go a bit smoother - we're supposed to be starting a Solaris 7 campaign.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I ordered myself some fancy Army Painter primers, a can of Dark Tone, and a couple cans of OMFG-it's-so-Matte sealer. Gonna do my collection up right!

Part of my obsession mania OCD desire to do it right this time is twofold:
    1. Factionalize my collection
    2. Paint said faction'd mechs and vehicles in appropriate colors.

So, I've spent too much some time getting things organized. Anyone that's interested can look at my tentative ToE at this link!

I'd absolutely love any input and criticism. I did my best to fit mechs to factions, and then in some manner of sane grouping (especially the Clan mechs, by speed groupings).

I'm still working through planning the new batch. Not sure how many to reserve for Oosik-ification...

Yeah, I got some criticism for you: NEEDS MORE DRAGONS

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I ordered myself some fancy Army Painter primers, a can of Dark Tone, and a couple cans of OMFG-it's-so-Matte sealer. Gonna do my collection up right!

Part of my obsession mania OCD desire to do it right this time is twofold:
    1. Factionalize my collection
    2. Paint said faction'd mechs and vehicles in appropriate colors.

So, I've spent too much some time getting things organized. Anyone that's interested can look at my tentative ToE at this link!

I'd absolutely love any input and criticism. I did my best to fit mechs to factions, and then in some manner of sane grouping (especially the Clan mechs, by speed groupings).

I'm still working through planning the new batch. Not sure how many to reserve for Oosik-ification...

Yeah, I got some criticism for you: NEEDS MORE DRAGONS

Have you looked at the tabletop Dragon fig? It ain't gonna win any beauty contests, that's for sure. That said, I did get one in the new box set, and it's already earmarked for an Oosik paintjob. :D

In other Summer-painting-plan progress, I've got my first lance prepped to paint! Meet the "Unspecified Pirate Lance" destined for an orange hue:

IMG_20140601_201710408.jpg

With the exception of the ForestryMech, each of the others was broken in some way when I received it. The Phoenix Hawk was missing its signature jet boosters, the Warhammer had no arms, and the Thunderbolt had a mangled left arm and the missile tube was loose. So these unspecified pirates fixed them as best they could, with aftermarket jet boosters, the arms from a cored-out Jagermech, and a black-market prototype arm, respectively.

Can't wait to paint them up. Hopefully, I'll get that done this week.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I wish those MWO figures were available

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yuuuuuuuuuus. Feed my plastic crack addiction, CGL. I needs it!

http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2014/06/02/introductory-box-set-reprint-lance-packs/
    Introductory Box Set Reprint & Lance Packs
    Posted on June 2, 2014 by Randall Bills

The improved reprint of the BattleTech Introductory Box Set hit US shores in February and promptly sold out of the warehouse in a matter of days! And the reception of the improved miniatures and over-all quality of the box has been lauded from retailers to fans alike as the best Introductory box set in BattleTech’s 30-year history.

An even larger print run of this seminal game is weeks underway and should be available again on retail store shelves by late summer.

Following on that success, Catalyst Game Labs, as part of BattleTech’s 30th anniversary, is pleased to announce the launch of a line of Lance Packs, making it easier than ever to bring additional action to your gaming table.

The line will start, following the return of the Introductory Box Set to retailer shelves, with the Assault Lance Pack and Pursuit Lance Pack. Future releases will occur every two to three months there after throughout 2015. Each $19.99 Lance Pack includes four plastic BattleMechs in the same great quality as those from the Introductory Box Set. With no parts to assemble (beyond painting if you want to add your favorite camo scheme to the mix), these are ready-to-play as soon as you open a box.

These miniatures are perfectly usable alongside the Introductory Box Set or with Total Warfare and the full breadth of BattleTech play. Additionally, each Pack includes 8 Alpha Strike cards, allowing these ’Mechs to also be fielded in that tabletop game play style.

Almost as exciting as the ’Mech releases themselves, this series of 8 Lance Packs are manufacturing simultaneously and will arrive together at our warehouse. This means once the first Lance Packs are available, the schedule for release will remain rock solid through the end of 2014 and throughout 2015, bringing ’Mechs to your gaming table without a hitch.

Time to start saving more c-bills.....

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Yea for affordable plastic 'Mechs!

...Nay for five out of eight 'Mechs shown being ones already in the Starter Box. I mean, I guess I could paint 'em up differently from my current ones buuut

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Yea for affordable plastic 'Mechs!

...Nay for five out of eight 'Mechs shown being ones already in the Starter Box. I mean, I guess I could paint 'em up differently from my current ones buuut

Yeah, that was kinda my reaction as well. On the upside, we've seen only two of the eight boxes. While I can imagine a world in which every single one has some Intro box mechs in it, I'm guessing some of them have to be all new plastics.

edited June 2014
    So for you guys with a number of painted mech figs, what do you use to store/carry them? I'm looking to improve on my Plano box/gun case situation.

Nips on
    At this point my intro set figures are just carefully stuffed into the box after I put everything else I need in there; the metal figs are packed in their plastic blisters two-each. I'd like to get a pop-out foam thing but I don't have the monies at the time.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Got a game tomorrow. Our gamemaster's only gonna be there for an hour but I'm gonna see if I can get a copy of his Solaris 7 stuff sheet. It's an arena-style campaign where each battle's C-Bill pay is influenced by your actions therein. I don't have the exact bonuses but it goes something like:

10m initial investment to purchase a Mech or two and to improve your MechWarrior from their starting 4/5 Skill
    1m if you win, 500k if you lose
    +100k for contributing to the battle each turn, +100-200k for doing cool stuff (standing up after falling, etc.), +200 and up for showing off (kicking a fallen 'Mech, beating a 'Mech with its own severed limb, successful DFA attacks - extra if you don't even have Jump Jets!)
    -100k for hiding and not contributing to the battle, -100-200k for futzing around (failing to stand up after falling)
    +500k for defeating an enemy 'Mech
    -1m for killing an enemy MechWarrior

It's supposed to be set a bit before the Jihad, giving us a great deal of technology to choose from. I can hardly wait!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Realized today I used to own one of these and had no Idea what it was:

thorloose.JPG

I would just detach one arm and use it as a gun and detach the other arm and use it as a "sword". Whoops. TUrns out is was a PPC:

thorboxback.JPG

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Got a game tomorrow. Our gamemaster's only gonna be there for an hour but I'm gonna see if I can get a copy of his Solaris 7 stuff sheet. It's an arena-style campaign where each battle's C-Bill pay is influenced by your actions therein. I don't have the exact bonuses but it goes something like:

10m initial investment to purchase a Mech or two and to improve your MechWarrior from their starting 4/5 Skill
    1m if you win, 500k if you lose
    +100k for contributing to the battle each turn, +100-200k for doing cool stuff (standing up after falling, etc.), +200 and up for showing off (kicking a fallen 'Mech, beating a 'Mech with its own severed limb, successful DFA attacks - extra if you don't even have Jump Jets!)
    -100k for hiding and not contributing to the battle, -100-200k for futzing around (failing to stand up after falling)
    +500k for defeating an enemy 'Mech
    -1m for killing an enemy MechWarrior

It's supposed to be set a bit before the Jihad, giving us a great deal of technology to choose from. I can hardly wait!

I'd be super curious if you get the rules.

Today was a bit weird. As mentioned before our mentor was only there for the first our or so, regaling us with tales of his and his wife's recent trip to Japan while sharing a bag of sweet sesame rice cakes. Afterwards he went over a bit of the setup for the campaign and the changes he'll make from the cheat sheet. It goes like this:

-All players start with 50 million C-Bills and two 4/5 MechWarriors. Additional 4/5 MechWarriors may be hired for 1.5m C-Bills each.
    -At the start you may upgrade a MechWarrior to 4/4 for 5 mil or 3/5 for 10 mil - no 3/4 'Warriors until later.
    -A die roll will determine the weight class for each match, rolled for at the end of the prevoius game. We'll start with 1/2/3 for Light, 4/5 for Medium and 6 for Heavy - no Assaults yet. (He rolled a 4 today, meaning we'll be going Medium for our first match).
    -From there we choose our BattleMechs for the upcoming match. Both 'Warriors must deploy on each match and you will eventually want at least two 'Mechs of each weight class, discouraging dumping all your C-Bills into just one super-good MechWarrior with a super-good Assault 'Mech right off the bat.
    -The winning "team" each match earns a base of 4m for Light, 8m for Medium, 12m for Heavy and 16m for Assault if we ever get around to that. Players on the losing "team" will still earn 3m/6m/9m/12m, helping to stave off a vicious cycle of "can't afford upkeep -> can't win with busted 'Mechs -> can't earn money -> can't afford upkeep". This also means we don't have to worry so much about having at least six 'Mechs immediately ready since we can put the pay from our first match towards later ones.
    -During the match there are various additional appeal bonuses (and unappeal penalties), spoiler'd as follows:
    -50,000 each turn a 'Mech does not fire or physically attack, doubling each consecutive turn of inaction
    -50,000 for surrendering, per 'Mech
    -50,000 for each Critical Hit caused by a player on their own 'Mech, regardless of means
    -50,000 for removal of a limb or side torso caused by a player on their own 'Mech, regardless of means
    -250,000 for killing an enemy MechWarrior

+25,000 per turn a 'Mech participates in the overall battle (including turn of surrender)
    +50,000 for a hilarious stunt (something that makes the group laugh or captures the imagination)
    +100,000 for using heat-based weapons to worsen the enemy's Overheat Effects
    +200,000 for kicking an enemy 'Mech while it is fallen down (limit once per enemy 'Mech)
    +200,000 for removal of an enemy 'Mech's limb or torso by physical attack
    +200,000 for winning a match after all ammo on a 'Mech is expended ('Mech must still be operational without surrendering and cannot "dump" its ammo beforehand)
    +200,000 for denying an opponent's DFA or Charge via shooting (limit one per 'Mech regardless of how many 'Mechs are firing at it)
    +200,000 for successfully standing up with a Gyro hit or missing leg
    +400,000 for a non-Kick, non-Punch physical attack on another 'Mech (limit one per 'Mech attacked)
    +400,000 for critical hits to an opponent's ammunition
    +400,000 for a successful charge
    +500,000 for defeating an enemy BattleMech
    +1,000,000 for a successful Death From Above attack
    +1,000,000 for a spectacular stunt (successful DFA without using Jump Jets, getting a crit from a small weapon via double-1s, hitting an opponent with their own severed limb, etc.)

That's what I've got so far. While the rules call for 3055 IS Level 2 technology, we're bumping it up to all-inclusive since the not-me guys have a lot of later-era stuff.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    That's interesting. Though I understand why there's a penalty for killing an opposing Mechwarrior, it rubs me wrong. Since you have virtually no control over where your shots land (unless you're also using some advanced dueling rules, which I know exist), there's just going to be times when you drop an AC/20 or Gauss round into someone's cockpit. There's no use to discourage it through a penalty, since there's little to no control over it; it's just and "Ooops, that cost you 250k" accident.

Also, "later-era stuff"....we talking Rotary ACs, Improved Heavy Lasers, MRMs, HAGs and the like? Because damn. Shit gets hostile real quick with some of the later tech.

Jihad and Dark Age late. One player has a Night Wolf, Warwolf, Mad Cat IV and a Kraken XR plus a new intro box. Another has a Perseus and Wraith with maybe some more stuff on the way. One of the vets plays Word of Blake almost religiously. I'm lucky that most of my Reseen can be played as variants from a wide array of eras.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited June 2014
    That first grouping of mechs is swanky looking, but kinda gross from an omg-all-the-BV/tonnage standpoint. And I get the WoB appeal; their faction-specific mechs are super-sci-fi and cool looking. Can't get behind the weirdness of the lore, though.

Hopefully, I'll finish painting my first lance this weekend! Just need to detail, topcoat, and base them. :D

Nips on
    edited June 2014
    @Nips ! Didja paint your mechs yet?

I think I've decided what two Mediums to take to the first Solaris 7 match: an Assassin and a Cicada. Gotta go fast! Now I just need to figure out the specific models...

EDIT: I think I'll go with the ASN-23 and CDA-3F. The Cicada is p expensive at nearly 8.7m CB but I still think it's a reasonable enough chunk of my starting 50m.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ugh, I'm super frustrated. My first lance just needs topcoat + basing, but I can't spray the topcoat right now due to the weather. It's been 90%+ humidity in my area for two weeks now, and will be for as far out as the forecast goes. I might have to resort to spraying indoors just to get them done, but my wife and cats aren't fans of that plan :| I did start in on painting the 'pirate' lance, and have the primer+basecoat done, but they're still a few steps away from done.

The Assassin with its LRMs seems like an odd choice for arena combat. How big are the arenas you guys play on? The Cicada should be solid, though.

Vallejo has a few brush-on primers you can use if the weather is unsuitable

c9PXgFo.jpg
    The Assassin with its LRMs seems like an odd choice for arena combat. How big are the arenas you guys play on? The Cicada should be solid, though.

We'll likely be playing on a printed map that covers a 4'x6' table. I'm dead set on taking an Assassin but if you've got a better idea for a more brawly one I'd love to hear it.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List

We'll likely be playing on a printed map that covers a 4'x6' table. I'm dead set on taking an Assassin but if you've got a better idea for a more brawly one I'd love to hear it.

That's certainly a big enough space! The trick is then keeping LoS while keeping range. If the arena were smaller, I'd say swap to an ASN-30, but the -23 seems fine with all that space.

Hmm, maybe the ASN-30 would be a better idea...

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited June 2014
    Tonight was a game. Not everyone was entirely prepared (we had to distribute a few 'Mechs from the store's demo set) so it took us like forty minutes just to get the first turn started. Fearless Leader didn't bring the poster-size maps so we played on the two basic maps from the starter set as well.

Weight Class: Medium
    Teaming: Free-for-All

The Rosters:
    P1: Wraith, Hermes II
    P2: Starslayer, Conjurer
    P3: Phoenix Hawk, Stormcrow
    P4: Buccaneer, Lynx
    P5 (new entry): Vindicator, Dervish
    Me: Assassin, Cicada

Hoo boy, it was not smooth going for P1. First turn, the Conjurer rips the Wraith's head wide open in two shots. Pilot manages to fail their ejection roll. Fifth turn, the Hermes II's head eats a Clan Large Pulse Laser, also from the Conjurer.

"Ohgod another head hit! It's into structure. No crit no crit no crit two crits please don't kill them please don't kill them please don't cockpit oh God I'm sorry"

Meanwhile on turn 3, my Cicada gets cornered by the Phoenix Hawk, Buccaneer and the table edge. Somehow they manage to whiff most of their attacks and I get top initiative next round. The Buccaneer backs the hell up ("Fear the Cicada!") while the 'Hawk places his back to the table edge, preventing me from getting behind. I'm running hot and I don't want the Buck to bait me into a trap, but there's money to be made from a particular type of spectacle. That's right, folks, say it with me now:

DEATH. FROM. ABOVE.

...I get smacked with two and a half tons of damage from the two nearby enemies, enough to hit my Gyro and Engine. I've gotta roll a 9 to stay on course. 10. That's right, Hawko, there's nothing you can do to stop the Cicada Train!

...Well, nothing except get out of the way. The landing tears off its right arm, crits the left arm's actuators and further damages the CT's structure. I pop the white flag for it - 60% cost to repair and the 2 million bonus for that spectacular ascent against all odds is enough for me and I don't want to feed the other players the 1m I-killed-a-'Mech reward.

P3 has to leave after that turn; we class both his 'Mechs surrendered. P4 and P5 get stuck in, the Dervish also failing to deliver in its own DFA and falling on its face. Next turn it suffers an ammo explosion, leaving no chance for the pilot to escape. This is about the point when P1's Hermes II gets its head laser'd off. My Assassin somehow manages to fire off a single LRM-5 volley the whole match, otherwise content to punch and burstlaser other 'Mechs in the back. It takes a beating between the Starslayer and Conjurer but doesn't fall. I still have to pay another 60% for repairs though.

We called the game after that due to time. All in all, P2 takes the pot for two 'Mech kills. The player who brought the most BV determines how much the other players receive as an "Underdog Bonus"; between that, the spectacle bonus and the Loser's Share of 6 million C-Bills I can cover the repairs with about a mil left over.

Next match's weight class: Light!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited July 2014
    So, finally, progress!

The humidity broke for four hours after a month of 80%+ grossness. Fortunately, it just happened to be on an off weekend day, when I could quickly (and in a slightly panicked manner) get out and topcoat my first lance, and basecoat as many other mechs as I was prepared for (looks like at least two more lances and a star). And then guess what happened? That's right, it got gross and stayed gross since! Blech. Stupid spring.

So, one lance down. I humbly present the 2nd Bolan Guard.
    Sarna.net wrote:
    -Previously known as the 11th FedCom RCT and the 3rd Alliance Guards RCT, the Second Bolan Guards LCT are a military formation that has served the Federated Commonwealth, Lyran Alliance and Lyran Commonwealth.

-The parade colors of the Third, the same as when it was a member of the FedCom Corps, is navy blue with gold banding on the arms and legs of 'Mechs. Gold is also used to highlight panels on the upper torsos of 'Mechs and turrets of armor units, resulting in a checkerboard pattern. After being renamed to the 2nd Bolan Guard, the color scheme was changed to a brown and tan paint scheme and replaces the black edging with green edging.

-Upon its reconfiguration into the 3rd Alliance Guards the unit was dominated by medium and light BattleMech designs of Federated Suns manufacture, generally in its First and Second Battalions. The Third Battalion had more of a typical Lyran flavor with more Lyran produced BattleMechs generally in the Heavy and Assault Class.

Shoddy pictures ahoy!

223d0d15-0be1-4942-8735-c12857c794fa.jpg
    8ba6005a-b7f5-4891-bb3a-3877fb097d91.jpg

81d3f6da-9ba4-4f47-9add-017282bc4609.jpg

eeeb9bc9-7e2a-49cd-90a1-fe5d5627dff9.jpg

040f991d-5a16-4e78-804d-15803942508a.jpg

It's a little hard to tell, but there's a light brown/dark brown camo thing going on with the paint job. Green highlights without going overboard (I think). I brushed the whole lance with Army Painter Dark Tone wash, then sealed it with AP Matte topcoat spray. Then I got lazy, and glued on some static grass, because I wanted to be done with something.

I'm pretty happy the way they turned out, despite having not painted miniatures in several years. Hopefully my next lance (the aforementioned pirates) won't take as long!

Nips on
    Classic Rifleman and Marauder! I jelly. Griffin and Locust are neat too. I don't know if it's the pictures but they don't really look that camo-y, though they're still fine as a scheme.

On that note, this Friday's game is going to be for Light weight. I've decided on a Commando COM-7S and a Panther PNT-12A.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited July 2014
    As with all things, shitty photos don't really do them justice. But the camo effect is a bit understated, due to the colors and wash I used.

I'll also say this about the classic/unseen 3rd edition figs: they're a pain in the ass to prep (uuuuugly mold lines) and paint (they don't take paint well, even primer). But they're classic for a reason, and I still really love that Marauder sculpt. I'm actually *the most super happy* with the Griffin. I think it turned out the best of the lance.

That Commando is saucy. But a Panther without a PPC? Blasphemy! ;P

Nips on
    Results! A week late!

The Rosters - I'm gonna start using names:

Player A (Dave): Piranha, Piranha (yes two of them)
    Player B (Chris F): Jenner, Venom
    Player C (Dallas): Pack Hunter 3, Fire Falcon P
    Player D (Chris C): absent
    Player E (Ryan): Rokurokubi, Rokurokubi (yes also two of them)
    Me: Panther PNT-12K, Commando COM-7S

Weight class was Light, team captains were me and Dave. I won the roll to pick my partner. We started with just four, me and Fin versus Dave and Ryan. Dallas arrived on turn three and elected to enter as a third party.

The environment was heavy urban. Like, literally a 6'x4' map of Washington DC heavy. This meant most players got marked down for a turn or two for no attacks. I don't recall so much of the battle, except that Fin lost his Jenner and Dave lost one Piranha. The 'Kubis refused to go down due to their Hardened Armor and in general a lot of shots all around missed. My Commando did lose its left arm and take another two hits in the left torso but somehow the 'Kubi chasing it from behind kept missing with its Sword. The Panther was untouched but also didn't do a whole lot despite having a Targeting Computer and Medium Pulse Laser.

In the end, we pretty much had to roll a die to see whose team had won. Dave and Ryan took the 4mil pot for winning while Chris and I got 3mil each. Dallas's 'Mechs were absolutely ineffectual throughout the match and so got a 50k "Hilarious Stunt" bonus for not hitting even once.

Next Friday's weight class will again be Light!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Got any pics of the setup? 24 square feet of urban blight sounds delightful.

As it just so happens, I did snap one pic. It's a big 'un.

to6ckzl5avud.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    where is that map from? Custom made?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    It is a custom map. I don't know off-hand who made it but it belongs to our game organizer, Chris F. above. He's got a couple of them.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited July 2014
    I've seen those before, let me dig in my digital brain memory.

Found one vendor, not the one I remember:
    http://mapmasterbattlemaps.com

Nips on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Ugh. So i broke down and got the latest Introductory Box Set. The map boards are soooo nice. Now i need to find time to paint the mechs up in proper Oosik colors.

kx3klFE.png
    What are the proper Oosik colors again? I'd assume white, grey, blue and orange from everyone's sigs but I don't remember seeing an Oosik 'Mech all painted up.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List