As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Short Trip to Vermont (Burlington / Montpelier), places to eat?

UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
We are taking a short family trip to Vermont in early / mid September, and will be there a couple nights.
We will be staying between Burlington and Montpelier, and the farthest we currently plan to venture is Norwich to the Science Museum.
That said any recommended local lunch or dinner spots where we will be? Our family will eat any kind of food. We have a 3 year old, so the atmosphere needs to be toddler friendly, but even she will eat almost any kind of food.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Single Pebble, though not sure how a toddler will take it. Flatbread is amazing there and definitely kid friendly.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Ben and Jerry's factory is in Waterbury, VT, right along I-89 between Montpelier and Burlington.

Unrelated to food... if you snowboard, Burton's factory store is located right in Burlington.
    And it maybe too far from amenities for toddlers, but Warren Falls, off the Mad River, in nearby Warren, VT, is the best fresh water swimming hole in all of New England.
    Warren-Falls.jpg

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I went to college in Burlington and if you love amazing, unhealthy food, Kountry Kart Deli (KKD) is the place for you. My husband and I are going up there next weekend and a Rise and Shiner is on our must list. I'll warn you that there are only a few places to sit in there and the vast majority of people do pick up so it's not a great sit down and dine place

I'll echo American Flatbread since it's delicious. If you like hibachi, Koto is a good one

Rayze on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    I will also recommend American Flatbread, the Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury, and also add the Skinny Pancake (which has locations both in Burlington & Montpelier), as well as Sweetwater's in Burlington. Sweetwater's is right on Church St., with a good amount of seating, and, while I haven't been in a couple of years, has reasonable prices/portions and is a good "failsafe" option; it's safe enough where nothing will knock anyone's socks off, but there's just enough effort put into the food where you don't feel like you're getting marked-up fast food.

Also Our House Bistro in Winooski (right next to Burlington) may be worth considering, but keep in mind that by sit-down restaurant standards it's virtually a closet (unless they somehow expanded the dining area in the past two years).

These aren't necessarily toddler friendly, but El Gato Cantina (mexican and their own tequila/margaritas), and Das Bierhaus (German cuisine, beer, and rooftop seating/dining), which coincidentally are right next to each other in Burlington, are also must-try's if you ever find yourself back there.

Thinking back on it Burlington is really spoiled for good local dining options; and they're all in close walking-distance with one another. You literally have to go out of your way to find yourself at a generic chain (they're all clustered about in South Burlington)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I live about five minutes from the Montshire, the museum you mention in Norwich. It's a lot of fun, especially if you have kids. Try to get there before the 7th of September if you can help it. They have a nearly complete T-Rex fossil named Sue until then that is great to go see.

If you leave the Montshire and take a left, then take the next left, you'll see King Arthur Flour about 1/4 mile up the road. They have a great shopping area for anyone in the house who likes to cook, and a decent cafe to grab lunch and/or coffee.

If you don't mind taking a hop across the border into New Hampshire (an extra ten minute drive), there's Poverty Lane Orchards for berry picking and cider.

For dinner, my wife and I are big fans of Lui Lui's in West Lebanon. Again, this is about 5-10 minutes from Norwich. It's Italian food and wood fired pizza, really quite good. If you want a great New York style pizza, Ziggy's is right down the road as well.

Since you're staying between Burlington and Montpelier, that puts you pretty near Waterbury. I can't recommend going to Cold Hollow enough if you're going to be there anyway. Cider, cider flavored fresh made donuts, local cheeses, it's absolutely great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you all for the suggestions, sounds like there are a number of good choices!

I believe our hotel is minutes away from Ben & Jerrys, so we are definitely going there. In fact, our planning basically went like this: "Let's find somewhere in driving distance to take a trip for a couple nights! Hmmm, I've always wanted to see Vermont, how about there? Let's see, Ben and Jerry's is in Vermont, is there anything cool around there? Ooooh, a Science Musuem with a T-Rex exhibit (daughter's fave dinosaur), we must go to that!" And the rest has been filling in what else we will do, although we will mostly play-it-by-ear. I know my wife mentioned she googled and saw some chocolate factory and teddy bear museum in the area too.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Vermont Teddy Bear factory is also in Shelburne, yes. As for a chocolate factory, I haven't done that but I'm assuming it's Lake Champlain Chocolates, which is in Burlington.

If you're going to be in Burlington, check out Echo if you have time. I haven't been in years, but it was impressive when I did go.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    My husband and I came back from Burlington today and went to Echo on Saturday. It was small, but pretty neat and your kid should have a great time. Couple of cool things for the adults as well and the view of the lake is fantastic on a nice day

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    If it's still there, the Mexican place (Maderas?) down by the lake on Main St was always good.
    Most of the others mentioned are definitely good options.

• Options
    Just checking in to say our trip went wonderfully, and all the suggested places we tried were great.
    We ended up hitting:
    A Single Pebble (which was my daughter's favorite place because of the pebble they give you with the check)
    King Arthur Flour
    The Skinny Pancake (the one in Montpelier)
    Cold Hollow Cider Mill
    Montshire Science Museum
    Ben & Jerry's

Beautiful state, loved all the local foods, and everyone we dealt with was very friendly. We definitely wouldn't mind going back again.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, they were a big help!