As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat shook off cast - ok without it til morning?

GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
Hi all,

This is Tyche.

AQXMnNC.jpg

About 5 weeks ago she fractured her paw, not entirely sure how. Anyways, she has to wear a splint for 6-10 weeks. We just got through week 4 without incident, and had her splint changed at the vet today. Brought her home this afternoon, and within a few hours she had shaken the cast off her arm. My wife and I tried to re-attach it with no luck.

1. Will she be ok without the splint until we can get her to the vet tomorrow morning?
2. Is it ok to leave her in her lab-sized crate with her litterbox and water, or should I put her in her cat carrier until we can get her to the vet in the morning?

I feel like #1 is probably fine, I'm just really nervous she'll find a way to re-injure herself overnight :?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Given the amount of time that has passed since the injury, I would say you're probably ok for the night. I would put her in the crate, not the carrier, overnight. I'm not a vet, mind you, just a guy that runs a foster home for dogs/dog boarding business. I'm basing this answer on my own experience with animals that have been hurt.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, week four? Fine til morning. Hell, probably fine period, if it came down to it, but of course you'll want to take her in tomorrow, because she's adorable and you love her that much.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    the main worry would be that she'd lick/chew on it and re-open wounds that haven't fully healed, but as long as she hasn't also figured out how to get the funnel collar off that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Probably use the crate overnight just so that she can't run/climb on things, but animals for the most part are pretty good at managing injuries.

ed: also your vet probably has some type of overnight emergency line, so you could call that for advice

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    D'aww, poor thing, she looks so sad. ...though, that could just be her facial markings that are giving her a constant "slightly worried" face...

sig.gif
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Thanks for the responses all. Ended up leaving her in the crate and just took her to the vet this morning. Hope the x-ray in 2 weeks leads to them taking the splint off altogether, not sure I can take 6 more weeks of this.
    Lovely wrote: »
    D'aww, poor thing, she looks so sad. ...though, that could just be her facial markings that are giving her a constant "slightly worried" face...

She has little kitty eyebrows that always make her look concerned.

Here she is on a happier day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUYhfSoPX1c

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    spaboollyspaboolly Registered User regular
    Doesn't look like she's living up to her name very well right now.

ForumTriforce2.jpg
    Scribe. Purveyor of Logic. Player of Video Games.