As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
3434jrmd6e65.jpg
Welcome to the Dark Souls* thread!
* ...and Demon's Souls and Dark Souls... and now Dark Souls 3!
14714760124_1a585c6bfa_o.png

No, really, I'll update this.

Quick hits:

What is Dark Souls?
Dark Souls is a third-person action RPG*.
* Really Pretty Getup (simulator)

So it's kind of like (insert game here)?
Probably not. Most third-person action RPG's tend to be pretty fast with the combat. The thing about Dark Souls is that you need to mean what you do and do what you mean to do. I've heard Monster Hunter is similar, but I've never really played any of those. In this case, if you take a swing or cast a spell, you're committed. Using a big two-handed weapon and you timed it wrong? Yeah, you're gonna get punished.

Punished? That seems harsh.
It is and it isn't. It's more fair than bullshit, but there's plenty of BS moments to go around. Or at least, they'll feel that way until you "git gud."

There are plenty of other games I could be playing that wouldn't be punishing.
Sure are. And not a single one of them will fill you with the same sense of accomplishment that these games will.

That's a bold statement.
I stand by it. I cannot think of a single game where I have ever felt as pumped/relieved/excited to get through something as I have with these games.

OK, I'll give it a shot. What's the setting like?
Dark fantasy. Pretty grim. These are worlds on the brink. Whatever your goal may be, it's pretty likely that you're saving the world by destroying it. Maybe not overtly, but...

Er, spoilers?
No, not really. There is a narrative, but it's not given to you outright. There is a lot of reading between the lines and paying attention in order to put everything together. Some things are open to interpretation. Others are blatant. As for the final goal? Depends on the game and your perspective.

Well that doesn't sound all that interesting. | That sounds awesome!
You're wrong. | You're right! Really, the game lets you use your imagination in a lot of ways. While some things are very clearly laid out, others are not. You can infer so much from simple things such as where you obtain an item and its surroundings, or you can just plow through and not realize that X character died here.

Wait, huh?
Time is ... weird in these games. It's not a guarantee that you are interacting with someone in the "here and now." Rather, you may be interacting with them here and now, but that's not to say they're not already/soon will be dead in another location. At the same time. Yeah...

OK, so it's a punishing, obscure, dark fantasy third-person RPG. What can I do?
A lot. You can be a beefy tank plowing through enemy damage and laughing at how little it affects you. You can be a glass cannon mage, one-shotting the toughest of enemies while praying a stiff wind doesn't cut you down. You can be a sneaky ranged fighter, using gear to enhance your abilities. Or you can say "screw all that" and just punch your way to victory. At level 1. Because you're a masochist.

I take it there are a lot of classes to choose from?
Nope. There are starting classes, sure, but all they do is give you a template to work from. Pretty much any class can become anything along the way. All you're limited by are your stat points and your gear. You assign points to your stats and in turn your stats dictate what gear you can use (effectively).

I hear you die a lot?
Constantly. And while you'll lose progress of a sort by dying, you'll gain knowledge. And knowledge, unlike many other games, truly is power here. So you've rushed into a room and found yourself full of arrows and died? Well now you know now to rush into that room. Now you know that you can probably sneak inside and take out the archer at the back before they even know you're there. You found a strong weapon not that far from the main hub of the game? Now you know that on your next character (you'll probably make more than one) you can rush that spot and focus on getting the stat points you need right away to use it.

So dying isn't that big of a deal?
It can be. When you die, you lose some stuff. Namely the souls you've collected from enemies you've killed and your humanity.

Explain.
When you kill an enemy, you gain souls. These are currency. You spend them on stats to increase them. You also use them to purchase items from any vendors you may find. When you die, you lose all the souls you are carrying. And no, you can't bank them anywhere. On the plus side, you leave behind a bloodstain where you die that contains all the souls you were carrying when you died. If you can reach your bloodstain without dying again, you can pick up all of the souls you lost. Die and they're lost for good.

Is this the punishment you talked about before?
Pretty much. It's going to feel like a punch in the gut the first time you lose "a lot" of souls (it won't be a lot; not your first time through, and not early on). Souls are easy to come by, though. It's more the progress you were making from point A to B that will eventually sting the most.

There's a lot more you're not telling me, isn't there?
Yes, a ton. If you're just kind of interested in the series, play Dark Souls first. If you want to dive in head first and have a PS3, play Demon's Souls. While the two are similar, Demon's Souls is a more raw experience. It's not quite as refined as Dark Souls, but it has plenty of fantastic systems in place. I personally wouldn't start with Dark Souls 2 over either of those two games, but it's better than not playing any of them.

Fawst on

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Nice of them to unlock it thirty minutes before midnight here.
    Managed to push through the top of the pyramid area to some sort of catacombs with some sort of ghostly knight that requires you to find and destroy their physical bodies before you can kill the ghosts.

Wish I could play more but I need to get some sleep before work tomorrow.

• Options
    I added info about the DLC (barebones though it may be) and links to the Steam pages for purchasing to the OP.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    It's worth mentioning you can still get the season pass for $20 on Greenmangaming's website with their 20% off code.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    On season passes - it was available on ps3 yesterday, when I looked, on euro PSN, so season passes on consoles do/did exist.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    old iron king knocked down to last hit

roll in the hole

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    So I finished the "Crown of the Sunken King" DLC.

Meh...not bad, but not great either. It's more of the same, but not much of it. There's only two or three things/items I missed/have yet to check out, but I doubt they'll change my mind.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Wow, that didn't take long... maybe I'll wait for all three to be out.

• Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular

Meh...not bad, but not great either. It's more of the same, but not much of it. There's only two or three things/items I missed/have yet to check out, but I doubt they'll change my mind.

How big would you say it is? The size of two or three regular game areas?

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    iron king took me entirely too many tries

lost about 100k souls thanks to not discovering the bonfire right before him until just about depopulating the latter half of the keep

left a warning just before the boss door

"try rolling but hole"

• Options
    whooooooops

accidentally triggered a BoB duel in full PvE regalia

i actually managed to almost win, despite taking a Wrath of Gods to the face

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I have the DLC

but no characters in a good spot to start it

time to go kill the Rotten

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    What's a good level to take it on?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

There is a sign in front of the gate saying something like "ahead is a challenge fit for a monarch", leading me to believe it is balanced for an endgame character.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    any cool lore stuff?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Elixir wrote: »

How big would you say it is? The size of two or three regular game areas?

3-4 hours, maybe more if you like exploring and taking in the atmosphere.
    Vic wrote: »

There is a sign in front of the gate saying something like "ahead is a challenge fit for a monarch", leading me to believe it is balanced for an endgame character.

I did it just before entering castle Drangleic (Soul level 106 or so) and had a fair challenge. Wouldn't advise going much beyond that, that might make it too easy.

However! Tying into this:
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    any cool lore stuff?

There is one thing the DLC adds that ties into the lore that you can ONLY access endgame-ish. You don't have to beat the final boss but it's close enough as makes no matter.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So, since the most recent updates, how are STR and/or DEX builds faring against FTH and INT stuff? Have they brought the balance in line any?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Well, that's that. Just played up all the way to that point. Don't expect any meaningful lore contributions from the DLC.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    are dark spirit invasions like, really infrequent?

i've gotten a bunch of bellbro invasions, a ratbro summon, but i'm not sure i've been just normally invaded at all

• Options
    Actually, yes. They are. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've been invaded over the course of 150+ hours of playing.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    are dark spirit invasions like, really infrequent?

i've gotten a bunch of bellbro invasions, a ratbro summon, but i'm not sure i've been just normally invaded at all

No one Blood Bro's because there is no inherent advantage to Bloodbroing.

Get a spell. decent weapon.

But since summoning help actually WORKS in this game, there is a good 40% chance that you'll be invading right into a dude and his two buddies.

And now, later in the games lifespan, this is going to be NG+ and higher invasions where everyone involved knows what they're doing.

You can keep a low-level SM character, but eventually you'll obtain enough Soul Memory to move out of that bracket, and even then you won't be inherently more powerful then the person invading.

Also, FRIENDS. CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH.

So all your trolls and former Dickwraiths don't bother with it, leaving Bloodbro'ing for MANLY MEN AND WOMEN OF ACTION.

• Options
    Something's odd with the new SM ranges. The new DLC JUST released, the player-count is peaking right now. Why am I bearly seeing any summon signs? Something's wrong here.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Actually, yes. They are. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've been invaded over the course of 150+ hours of playing.

I find that there are certain zones where I frequently get invaded

Just in front of Velstadt, the bridge in Iron Keep, and sometimes the... Shaded Woods (? place with the lion dudes - odd, not a place I'd expect to be well invaded at).

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Something's odd with the new SM ranges. The new DLC JUST released, the player-count is peaking right now. Why am I bearly seeing any summon signs? Something's wrong here.

Because the servers are being hit with a million connections because the new DLC just released. :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It is probably a very bad idea to go for NG+ fist run of the DLC right off the bat, but fuck it. I am the king of bad ideas.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Only met one npc phantom in NG+ dlc but it is serious business, more powerful than the one outside the castle.

• Options
    Only met one npc phantom in NG+ dlc but it is serious business, more powerful than the one outside the castle.

That one's there in NG as well, and just as serious.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Hmn, I think I wanna make a new character using that Murakumo from the chest. Having it that early sounds fun!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fawst wrote: »

If one is on NG, they're relatively safe from invasions. From killed NG PvP stone dead by heavily curtailing the supply of CREOs. There used to only be about a dozen or so out in the world (with an additional 5 added to the Majula mansion in the June patch), and the only reliable way to get more is to win duels in the BoB arena, which seems to have no problem matching a level 10 against a level 800. Because of this, players can sometimes go through the entire game and not get invaded once.

Raises the question of if Soul Memory to prevent twinking was really necessary.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    any cool lore stuff?
    I think we know now why there are other firekeepers.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    any cool lore stuff?
    I think we know now why there are other firekeepers.[/spoilers]
    Did I miss that? Or are you talking about the talk with Vendrick?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I have to download it but
    we are getting 3 DLC packs and there are 3 firekeepers in Things Betwixt. I'm thinking a firekeeper appears in order to oppose a shard of Manus in the world.

I might be getting ahead of myself.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Quick question: I want a lightning bastard sword. Do I upgrade it to +10 first with regular titanite and then infuse with bolt rocks or does order not matter?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    order does not matter

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Order doesn't matter.

• Options
    got the four great souls

my reward is apparently getting to fight all the royal swordsman in the planet in the dark

fak

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Just finished DLC

Lot of fun overall. More fun, I think, than any individual area in the main DS2 campaign. Good bosses, although nothing to Artorias level.

Honestly I think that, aside from it not containing the best Souls boss, it is a superior DLC to the DS1 release in almost every way. Loads more fun than Oolacile, and more interesting hooks and gimmicks.

New weapons seem cool but since I'm running full on punches, I haven't tested any of them yet. I don't really know enough about the DS2 meta to really be able to tell anyway.
    i will very much be looking forward to seeing a video of a solo run of the 3 boss fight.

Managed to solo the dragon, extremely fun, balanced encounter. Easily the best boss in DS2.

Hardest encounter in the damn place was the Jester, holy crap. It took me more tries to down the dragon but wasn't half as tense. On the other hand, huge amounts of fire resist will trivialize the fight.

I am super pissed he didn't drop anything, and am not happy either no cool item from the dragons tail.

All in all if they can manage to pull off something this fun 2 more times in 3 months I will be fucking astounded.

• Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the DLC so far. But the background singing is so irritating it makes me want to harm small, adorable animals. I would do horrible things to make it stop. I'm not sure if that is what From was going for, but thats what they got out of me.

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was going to fire it up, but unfortunately, my controller is not working. Hopefully next time!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I spent some time with it but the weekend is a better time to dwell dungeons. I'm tired from work.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Those of you who have beaten the base game and DLC:
    Go back to the Undead Crypt, there's a new memory you can enter from Vendrics remains.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762