As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Do

2»

• Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    Brilliant :D

• Options
    KaitensatsumKaitensatsum Registered User regular
    Wait, how many years have seventeen and Brian been there?

• Options
    josephhornerjosephhorner Registered User new member
    These are amazing. Best comic find for me in years Katie, touching stuff.

• Options
    osaryesosaryes Registered User regular
    Want to hear something worse?

This happens IRL.

More commonly than you think.

With newborns.

Maybe near where you live,

The feels.

• Options
    CrackerAxeCrackerAxe Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Beautiful Work. Loving it. Well Done.

• Options
    J-mentalJ-mental Registered User regular
    I'm just going to be walking off this emotional gut punch. I'll be fine just... just... give me a second.

• Options
    iczer6iczer6 Registered User regular
    Brian is the best character.

• Options
    Red Pill JunkieRed Pill Junkie Registered User new member
    Signed in just to express my deep admiration for this story arc. Beautifully executed & emotionally engaging.

I'd certainly like to see more similar 'flashback' arcs with Brian & Malachi. Yes he's now the kindest member of the camp, but perhaps you could explore a background in which he wasn't such a gentle soul. I could very well envision Brian as a former bully who decided to change his ways due to a traumatizing event in his past --just a humble suggestion from a long-time fan :)

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Wow, that cat was hard to find.

• Options
    bielzabobbielzabob Registered User new member
    Beautiful artistry here, really creates an emotional atmosphere. also... KITTY (hard)

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Yes he's now the kindest member of the camp, but perhaps you could explore a background in which he wasn't such a gentle soul. I could very well envision Brian as a former bully who decided to change his ways due to a traumatizing event in his past

Scattershot inferences offend me.

Brian is big -> Brian was a bully

Nerd pet peeve. Just because you can make free associations between existing plot elements doesn't mean you should.

• Options
    SakeofargumentSakeofargument Registered User regular
    This comic had me tearing up in the coffee shop of my office building. Dammit Katie, warn me next time! Someone might see me! "Medium roast?" "Uhbluh uhbluh uhbluh..."

• Options
    Red Pill JunkieRed Pill Junkie Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    -> Brian was a bully

Nerd pet peeve. Just because you can make free associations between existing plot elements doesn't mean you should.

Apologies for offering my 2 cents. FWIW I happen to be 6'-4" --and I was the one who was bullied at school ;)

Red Pill Junkie on
  • Options
    michael9michael9 Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    It's rare for me to be moved as I am by this comic strip. I found myself in tears - with absolutely no warning - in the final frame. I thought I was prepared for whatever came next, but the condensation of past to present and that simple affirmation of a friend had me choked up all day.
    Katie and Adam, you two are the most amazing writing team ever! "We do" is so simple: two tiny words, four letters, no poetry or even room for embellishment, yet here it became the most powerful affirmation ever. Amazing! So many threads tied together all at once. Very nicely done!

michael9 on
  • Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    He can talk! 0_0

• Options
    RijorRijor Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    Brian honestly strikes me as the kind that was a 'problem kid' for anger management issues. The grey rage he went into with Purdy shows an example of anger management issues at best, and potentialy bipolar. All of these kids are 'flawed' in their own ways -which is why they're so relatable. Part of the point I get from this series, though, is that they really are just 'normal' kids. It really makes it kind of beautiful.

Rijor on
  • Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Oh god the feels... I wasn't ready for the feels :( Damn you Katie why are you trying to make me cry :(

Awesome comic, love it, love the fluffy chapters, but when you hit me right in the feels like this... This is what sets you a step above.

p.s. Found the kittie, was kinda hard, what with vision clouded by tears and all, but I got him!

• Options
    qozleqozle Registered User regular
    Katie! I'm so happy to see your work. I love how it has developed. This is fantastic, and in years to come I hope you will learn so much from reflecting on this experience. Keep on plowing forward!

• Options
    TheCanadianAlligatorTheCanadianAlligator Registered User new member
    Cat took me too long to find... but that's probably because only 3 panels take place after the cat epidemic.

• Options
    RagnaroccRagnarocc Registered User regular
    Great storytelling!

This comic even tells how Seventeens erratic hairdo came to be. Brian cut her hair getting her out of the thorns.

• Options
    EmeraldArcherEmeraldArcher Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    I'm desperately hoping 17's sibs really did mail her. From the way they were talking about 'getting rid of her', and the crushing, sinister dread of the scene, I was terrified things was headed down a far darker path... Which I'm still not entirely sure we've avoided.

Why did she make no attempt to break free of the flimsy box earlier, and why did her count end so suddenly? There didn't seem to be any postage on it either. For all intents and purposes, it just appeared at the gates. She also seemed extremely traumatized, as though something very, very bad had recently happened.

Maybe all the campers met similar ghastly fates, their deaths either too sudden, or too traumatic, to be remembered. Collin recalled being abandoned in the forest, but not at camp. It's entirely possible he somehow met his end in those woods, or misremembered that as well.

Crap. Why am I helping you friccasee my heart Katie?!

EmeraldArcher on
  • Options
    treeflamingotreeflamingo Registered User regular
    I signed up for an account specifically to say that I just found this comic, marathoned it across a series of airports, and have found it to be utterly brilliant.

Also, kitties.

• Options
    Mike IgoeMike Igoe Registered User new member
    I've read Penny Arcade for years. The newspapers are depressing, so I prefer to read webcomics with my coffee before work in the morning. Everybody says this, but there's a very good reason for that and I'm gonna say it too: I set up an account here purely to thank Katie for this wonderful strip. I nag my mates to read it constantly. It strikes a balance between sublime humour and sweet moments that I haven't seen since Calvin & Hobbes. To think it's only a year old is incredible. Most strips take years to hit this kind of stride. I hope it runs for many years, and I have no doubt it's gonna come to be regarded as a classic. I'll never throw up again without thinking of the word "BLEP!" and laughing. I'll "uhbluh", and smile, whenever I cry. As for the words "We do": they'll always make me tear up. Especially at polygamist weddings. Thank you Katie. :)

• Options
    Something_SinisterSomething_Sinister Registered User regular
    So, I just noticed something, if you're reading, perhaps you can confirm or deny it, Katie.

Are the colours in the flashback related to emotions? In the first page of the flashback, all the colours are uniformly muted, with the green tone on them, but here, things like the Love Bug and her hair gain colour, with Brian being in brighter, warmer colours in the flashback than he is in reality.

Now, we know that she's particularly attached to the Love Bug, and we see in the second panel that it's in brighter colour than the rest f the page, later, we see her hair gain colour as well, culminating in her entire body being coloured in contrast to the second panel, where the only thing in normal colour is the Love Bug - what I take away from this is that she remembers being cut free by Brian fondly, hence the warm colours in the sequence, as well as her affection for Love Bug, also why it's coloured.

Alternatively, I could be overthinking things.

• Options
    Something_SinisterSomething_Sinister Registered User regular
    >I wonder if I can calculate the elapsed time with the growth of Brian's hair?

so, I googled this, results are as follows:

human hair, if left to grow totally unheeded, grows at, on average, 0.4 MM per day (http://www.hairvitamins.net/viviscal/study5.htm - Source A)
    Also, according to this image, an average human head height is 23.2 Centimetres (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/HeadAnthropometry.JPG - Source B)

Assuming Brian is about ten to eleven when he found Seventeen, we can make the calculation easier, as human heads don't actually grow all that much in adolecense, so we can assume that Brian's head height is around the lowest value given in source B, which is 21.2 Centimetres

In the younger image, his hair ends just below his nose, according to Source B, the smallest recorded distance from the bottom of the nose to the chin was 6.1 centimetres, so, for the sake of simplicity, let's assume that this is the case for Brian: In the older image, his hair is just below chin height.

Let us assume, in this case, that his hair is precisely one centimetre above the bottom of his chin, meaning his hair has grown down 5.1 centimetres.

So, 0.4X25 gives us 10, or, in this case, one centimetre, so five times that gives us 50, or five centimetres, 25X5 gives us 125, so we have 125 days as a base, adding on the little extra to get us closer, we get 127 (0.4 + 0.4)

So, assuming Seventeen was dumped on the First of January, she has been there for four months and seven days.

YAY! MATHS!

• Options
    ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    Definition of a family can be so very relative. Sometimes water of life turns out to be much thicker than blood.

• Options
    Grim...Grim... Registered User new member
    @reiska "Definition of a family can be so very relative."
    Pun!

• Options
    yonderforkyonderfork Registered User new member
    >So, assuming Seventeen was dumped on the First of January, she has been there for four months and seven days.

That would line up with Malachi saying it's been four months since he was dropped off.

• Options
    SpatzistSpatzist Registered User new member
    Aaaaand I'm crying.

• Options
    SanderloSanderlo Registered User regular
    Heartbreaking.

• Options
    He... Talks! :O .. And Lovebug! So many feels right now :`(

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I just noticed why Brian looks so different to me when he meets Seventeen. His ears are visible! He looks good with shaggy hair though.

Cutting Seventeen's hair to free her seems symbolic. Maybe?

• Options
    Spyke66Spyke66 Registered User regular
    Heck, the kitty in panel 8 was hard work...

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    omg ;.; the feels

• Options
    Patchcoat KingPatchcoat King Registered User new member
    Literally in tears. Demmit.