As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hm. Not sure whether to get the DLC now or wait until all of it is released and beat it all together. Without spoilers, how extensive is the first pack?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Remember the 60/30fps thing on Pc guys? How it affects durability and enemy attacks?

It also affects i-frames.

60fps = 1/2 the i-frames you should have. Unless the attacks are also sped up, which doesn't occur with every attack.

I cut my frames to 30 and, you know what, after about five minutes the elitist 60fps snob in me stopped booing from the stands and sat down again going "Hmm" because holy shit all the problems go away.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

New weapons seem cool but since I'm running full on punches, I haven't tested any of them yet.

I have a giant grin on my face now.

It's so big.

Seriously it wont go away.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Calling it for the night, but the DLC has brought back all the tension, excitement and fun of not knowing. =)
    k3lr5ovnvj4d.jpg

OH HECK YES FOUND THE BONFIRE THANK GOD OH MY GOD YESSSSSSS

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    So I got the Season Pass through Nuuvem because thanks to the exchange rate it was like a 40% discount, but they have no more keys yet and need to ask for more, please wait. Dammit.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    loaded up my strength character

now i'm having trouble with smelter

i don't fucking get it

i'm doing the same thing i did last time

i'm using strike weapons

i'm using the Gyrm Greatshield for fuck's sake

i guess my stamina is too low

starting to feel like if your stamina and adapt aren't high enough, you're just going to get fucked no matter what

edit: okay that time it was easy

i don't get it

were those three points of endurance that helpful

itisamystery.gif

Elendil on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Okay the people who plowed through the DLC in a few hours, I dont understand you.

For one thing, I can't help but feel like something is off with strike damage. I started the DLC with my 138th SL character on my original playthrough (Finished the game but didnt go to newgame+). I wanted the dlc to be moderate but easy-ish on the difficulty curve to experience it all before i tried harder stuff. I have my +10 magic mace and the first section of the DLC was going pretty well. Mostly one-shotting with a backstab on the new mobs, 300~ damage a swing then i get to the sanctum.
    to the dark jester. This bastard is shrugging off hits of my mace only taking minimal damage and nearly one-shotting me with firestorm. I switch my mace to lightning which is a bit more effective. take him down. get to the dragons rest, the guys in full armor that move kinda fast are taking little to no damage from my mace, and they are damn hard to hit with a slowish weapon. its like im going to be forced to have a second weapon type to continue.

There are 3 'bosses' in this dlc right? I've only found one and i played at least 5-6 hours. were you speed players going with a group? cause sure that makes it easier but playing mostly solo im taking my time and being careful, as DS should be and i have quite a bit left to explore.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay the people who plowed through the DLC in a few hours, I dont understand you.

For one thing, I can't help but feel like something is off with strike damage. I started the DLC with my 138th SL character on my original playthrough (Finished the game but didnt go to newgame+). I wanted the dlc to be moderate but easy-ish on the difficulty curve to experience it all before i tried harder stuff. I have my +10 magic mace and the first section of the DLC was going pretty well. Mostly one-shotting with a backstab on the new mobs, 300~ damage a swing then i get to the sanctum.
    to the dark jester. This bastard is shrugging off hits of my mace only taking minimal damage and nearly one-shotting me with firestorm. I switch my mace to lightning which is a bit more effective. take him down. get to the dragons rest, the guys in full armor that move kinda fast are taking little to no damage from my mace, and they are damn hard to hit with a slowish weapon. its like im going to be forced to have a second weapon type to continue.

There are 3 'bosses' in this dlc right? I've only found one and i played at least 5-6 hours. were you speed players going with a group? cause sure that makes it easier but playing mostly solo im taking my time and being careful, as DS should be and i have quite a bit left to explore.
    Jester Thomas is optional (his only redeeming factor)

The guys in full armor are bullshit period. They are supposed to emulate the PVP experience - only these guys have infinite poise, infinite stamina, can cancel animations whenever the hell they want, wear the heaviest of armor and still roll and run all day, inhuman ammounts of HP.

You can run past them if I remember correctly except for one or tow who are guarding loot.

You are also very close to the other 2 bosses. I'd say you're almost done with the DLC.

Like, I don't understand everyone's fascination with this DLC. Little to no lore addition and a pile of mind boggling, BS design choices keep it from being great or even good.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble settling on a build for the DLC

My original build was a quality build for the Sun Sword +10, with medium armour and shield and a longbow +10 for ranged. But i often found myself switching to a blacksmith hammer for strike damage anyway.

Magic builds are boring, two handers are crazy slow, and dex builds seem to have crappy damage. But quality builds seem to waste a lot of damage potential.

What's a faster two handed option, or a high damage one handed weapon? I used a claymore in DS1 for the best of both worlds and it was very strong.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I should go for a normal run, but uuuugh...I want to finish fists, but that's on NG+, which is much more painful.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing on the brobox 360 want to get some item trading going for NG toons? Someplace easy for large soapstone signs like the new DLC entry place?

With the name engraved ring and sunbro sign there should a large Soul Memory range that people can get summoned for, at least according to some post patch reddit Dark Souls science. I realized this after I sold some duplicate rare-ish drops (Black Witches Staff, Drake Keeper weapons) to Gavlan that some players that angered the Random Number Generator gods might want them. And I too am of course missing things for Fashion Souls.

If there are any takers I'll post my pertinents (SM, SN, timezone, have/looking for, etc...)

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well, I remember now why I stopped at the Shrine of Ammana. The range of the sorcerers is way too fucking long.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

My original build was a quality build for the Sun Sword +10, with medium armour and shield and a longbow +10 for ranged. But i often found myself switching to a blacksmith hammer for strike damage anyway.

Magic builds are boring, two handers are crazy slow, and dex builds seem to have crappy damage. But quality builds seem to waste a lot of damage potential.

What's a faster two handed option, or a high damage one handed weapon? I used a claymore in DS1 for the best of both worlds and it was very strong.
    DISCLAIMER: The recent patch rebalanced a bunch of weapons and I'm not really familiar with it yet.

If you're into claymores specifically, historically the best build has been to go Faith and use the Defender's Greatsword. You don't have to play like a caster, it just scales really well. It did get nerfed, though (I don't know how badly). If you're not into that, the Mirrah Greatsword has the same move set and scales pretty okay (C/A).

Quality builds are fine in my opinion, although it's kind of implicitly a powerstance build if you want to be optimal about it. My Curved Dragon Greatsword / Lion Axe dual-wielder trounces my Defender Greatsword character in burst damage. Like it's not close at all. I think she killed the Throne Defender in one combo from 70% by accident once.

Part of your problem is that Sun Sword + Shield is just not very good. The Sun Sword's base damage is so terrible that in practice it's only slightly better than other straight swords at 40/40. I think the C/C Drakekeeper Sword does the same damage at +10. It's a good weapon to powerstance, but I wouldn't bother with it as your sole means of offense. Half of the fun of a quality build is being to use damn near every weapon in the game at full capacity outside of a few magical ones, so don't pidgeonhole yourself. Experiment!

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

The guys in full armor are bullshit period. They are supposed to emulate the PVP experience - only these guys have infinite poise, infinite stamina, can cancel animations whenever the hell they want, wear the heaviest of armor and still roll and run all day, inhuman ammounts of HP.

You can run past them if I remember correctly except for one or tow who are guarding loot.

You are also very close to the other 2 bosses. I'd say you're almost done with the DLC.

Like, I don't understand everyone's fascination with this DLC. Little to no lore addition and a pile of mind boggling, BS design choices keep it from being great or even good.

I stopped caring about lore in DS2 when it was clear that it was just going to be vastly inferior in that regard to the first one anyway. So I really don't care what lore the DLC adds, or none at all.

I'll agree some of the stuff isn't perfect, but it was all mostly a ton of fun to get by. Frustrating, but hugely satisfying once I managed to win. I still 100% think this is the best area of the entire game.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    You know what kind of irks me? The Mirrah Greatsword and the Old Mirrah Greatsword are the same damn thing. I was hoping there would be some kind of benefit to having (luckily) received the thing, but no. Just the addition of the word "Old" to the title. Bleh.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think a lot of experiences with the dlc are going to be coloured by the fact that it came with a heavy weapon rebalancing and some builds may be kinda crummy now where previously they were good

i finally gave up on my mundane build to go dex and i was killing guys in a third of the time

i really do recommend experimenting with your build before you write dudes off as having too much health or being crummy fights or anything

liEt3nH.png
  • NWKNWK Registered User regular
    i think a lot of experiences with the dlc are going to be coloured by the fact that it came with a heavy weapon rebalancing and some builds may be kinda crummy now where previously they were good

i finally gave up on my mundane build to go dex and i was killing guys in a third of the time

i really do recommend experimenting with your build before you write dudes off as having too much health or being crummy fights or anything

Yeah, this.

Honestly the biggest thing I enjoyed about the DLC was how much the level design reminded me of Dark Souls. The areas in DS2 are awesome, but the world just doesn't have that same level of detail and connection that DS does, where if you can see a place far off, chances are you will soon be dying in that place. The DLC has that same feeling.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

spamming riposte obliterates the drakeblood guys, there is nothing in DS2 easier to reaction parry than the greatsword r1 (without factoring in pvp lag, which obviously isn't an issue here). as for infinite poise, I've seen a lot of comments on that and the only NPC in the dlc I haven't been able to stun period is the other phantom on the bridge to the optional boss. the
    guy in havels during the trio fight
    probably can't be stunned either but his cohorts can be with repeated powerstance hits.

overall I really liked the DLC, all I wanted from it otherwise was more armor sets and tougher bosses/npcs. I soloed all the bosses in two attempts each - except for the first boss, which got oneshot - with a not-very-optimal powerstancing dex build using +10 partisan (which is great now) and the +10 heide spear.

Torgairon on
    Wyvern wrote: »

DISCLAIMER: The recent patch rebalanced a bunch of weapons and I'm not really familiar with it yet.

If you're into claymores specifically, historically the best build has been to go Faith and use the Defender's Greatsword. You don't have to play like a caster, it just scales really well. It did get nerfed, though (I don't know how badly). If you're not into that, the Mirrah Greatsword has the same move set and scales pretty okay (C/A).

Quality builds are fine in my opinion, although it's kind of implicitly a powerstance build if you want to be optimal about it. My Curved Dragon Greatsword / Lion Axe dual-wielder trounces my Defender Greatsword character in burst damage. Like it's not close at all. I think she killed the Throne Defender in one combo from 70% by accident once.

Part of your problem is that Sun Sword + Shield is just not very good. The Sun Sword's base damage is so terrible that in practice it's only slightly better than other straight swords at 40/40. I think the C/C Drakekeeper Sword does the same damage at +10. It's a good weapon to powerstance, but I wouldn't bother with it as your sole means of offense. Half of the fun of a quality build is being to use damn near every weapon in the game at full capacity outside of a few magical ones, so don't pidgeonhole yourself. Experiment!

I just want the Sun Sword to be better than it is. A big covenant reward, huge scaling on two stats, excellent straight sword animations, a humble yet heroic weapon, etc...

But the damage sucks. Why is it even good to dual wield? Surely there are higher damage options.

I really like the feel of a middleweight sword and shield hero with no magic delving into horrible dungeons, but I'm not sure what better options there are for single handed weapons. Probably mace with high Strength?

edited July 2014
    At 40/40, I think the Sun Sword and Drakekeeper Sword are tied for highest straight sword damage. At lower stats Drakekeeper is better, but it also comes later in the game. So, if you need a straight sword in one of your hands for powerstance purposes (rapier main-hand with straight sword off-hand, for instance, to have thrusting R1s and sweeping L2s), and you're committed to a quality build regardless, then it's a good weapon to have. Choosing a quality build specifically BECAUSE of the Sun Sword isn't a very good idea.

As far as middle-weight swords go, I honestly consider the greatsword class (claymore, Mirrah greatsword, etc) to be middle-weight. They're far from slow compared to the real heavy weapons (ultra greatswords, greathammers) and their stat requirements to wield one-handed aren't usually terribly high. Maces do a lot of damage against armored targets (and decent damage in general), but the moveset is godawful compared to the claymore moveset. Or...pretty much any moveset, really. I see them as situational weapons, personally.

I think you're getting too hung up on the idea of "single-handed weapons". Every weapon in Dark Souls can be single-handed. Most of them can be single-handed with very reasonable stat requirements. Greatswords, spears, halberds...even the heaviest weapon classes tend to have some options at around 30 strength, I think (if you actually like their movesets).

Wyvern on
    edited July 2014
    mostly my concern is the attack animations - even the faster greatswords are very slow, and when you can safely land two hits and roll away or block in the time a greatsword can land one hit, the damage advantage isn't nearly as high

i'm going to try a claymore out right now though, and see if it's more productive against these DLC enemies

Evil Multifarious on
    I guess the idea of single-handed weapons means "weapons you can wield single-handed without looking like an enormous doof". This tends to disqualify, say, the Pursuer's greatsword :P

Default spear is really good now guys. R2 hits twice.
    Most spears are completely viable.

If the calculations I'm looking at are accurate, the Defender's Greatsword is now pretty much average compared to both other greatswords and other lightning weapons, so maybe I'll experiment more with a lightning spear/lance on my faith character.

edited July 2014
    Incidentally I've heard the roaring halberd is fucking ridiculous now for a dark weapon.

Like, this thing got the reverse treatment of their usual nerfs.

In a lot of ways you need to re experiment. Jump back on those characters with the weapons you initially dismissed and swing them at things once more.

Morninglord on
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I noticed the Roaring Halberd. I might try to use it on my hex character. That was one of my original plans for the character, but then it turned out to be stupidly terrible. How times have changed.

Also, apparently they nerfed the old powerstanced greataxe trick at some point since I last played. I wonder if I should swap my offhand Lion Axe for something with better AR now. Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is suddenly very tempting...limits my options for Fashion Souls, though.

Wyvern on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Im back to my broadsword+5, and trying out the archdrake mace. It seems neat. Just need to upgrade it.

Also, at the cardinal tower with my sorcerer, magic seems much faster.

Fencingsax on
    my pvp record so far is:

bellbros: slightly positive! 3 wins, 2 losses
    ratbros: 2 summons, absolutely fucked both times. probably working as intended. rat covenant can eat a dick.
    bloodbro duels: 9 or 10 duels, all of them failures. a few quite close

bloodbros do not fuck around

i also summoned a sunbro for smelter this morning which resulted in me getting totally fucked up immediately after starting the fight. it was fairly humiliating.

Also, you have to be using weapons of a similar type to powerstance, right? Some stories here are confusing me.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Im back to my broadsword+5, and trying out the archdrake mace. It seems neat. Just need to upgrade it.

Is the archdrake mace good now?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Also, you have to be using weapons of a similar type to powerstance, right? Some stories here are confusing me.

There are limitations on which combinations of weapon classes can be powerstanced, but they aren't always immediately obvious. Like...you can powerstance a greatsword with a long-handled greataxe to get the halberd powerstance moves, but you can't powerstance a greatsword and a halberd. You can powerstance a spear with a rapier, but not a halberd. Greatswords are compatible with straight/curved swords, but curved greatswords aren't.

Is the archdrake mace good now?

No idea, but I need a strike weapon, and the greatclubs look stupid.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Not playing the DLC until all 3 are out, because I'm more interested in the lore than anything else.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Forgot to turn the UI off for this, oh well.

Meet Boudicca.

nR8PX8u.png

Her sword is bigger than yours.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil

Not really. A few weapons wont let you powerstance them except with a select few but most weapons let you powerstance quite broadly. It's best to think of it as some weapons are snobs and wont play nice with others. Most weapons are easy going.

The thing is though you don't really want to powerstance weapons with different lengths because both weapons wont hit at certain ranges.

Just get 1.5x the requirements and try whatever you want.

Am I the only one who just can't get the timing down for parry in this game?

I was a parry deity, or lesser godling at least, in Demons and Dark Souls. But it just evades me for this one.

i don't even try to parry anymore

that is some pro shit

i am not pro

It was a rhythm thing in Demons and Dark. You had to get the feel for it. It feels way more reactionary in this game and I'm just not liking it. Also the actual riposte is stupid and seems unreliable.

I've gotten the hang more of backstabs but I miss the old system.

Yeah, the timing on this one is something I just can't get.

New weapons seem cool but since I'm running full on punches, I haven't tested any of them yet.

I have a giant grin on my face now.

It's so big.

Seriously it wont go away.

It's so good, and I've had a ton of fun running without a shield too. 30 adaptability for the extra invincibility frames, and everything has been golden. It's really freeing to get the game down without a shield. You feel much more confident, and by extension, capable. I soloed Velstadt last night only taking one hit. Huge difference from wiping to him over and over and over my very first playthrough.

The damage is nuts too. It's far from ideal in pvp but catches people off guard if you get invaded and can get a good round of punching in. In pve it helps this game seems to have a lot more enemies weaker to blunt damage than Dark Souls 1.

Haven't been 100% caestus, I use a bow a lot as well as the sun sword when I need range, but mostly it has been beatin' fools up. I recommend a playthrough for everyone. It starts off pretty rough, though.