As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    On the 10 Thunders, they're actually a pretty disparate bunch. Which 10 Thunders crew(s) is he looking at?

• Options
    edited July 2014

Also @-Loki-‌ Gencon will be coming up in a few weeks, so don't go too nuts buying stuff, as they will likely have brand new stuff for sale during the con, anything available from the con gets available on the website.

Expect pretty much all the wave 1 stuff to be available, and possibly some wave 2 masters *fingers crossed*

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Looks like I won't need to go in with two crews - I've successfully gotten my brother interested in playing the game (he's already bought a few minis to paint or use in conversions). He's going in with Ten Thunders, since he's pretty big into Asian themed stuff. I'm going in with the Lilith - Mother of Monsters starter. This weekend I should be grabbing the starter and second edition rulebook.

With Terraclips, how big of an area do they make? Do different sets mix together well?

You can pretty easily whip up a 2.5 x 2.5 area with the streets set (the one I have) that has some Los blocking raised areas. That's if you use the panels as the "floor." If you were just using them to build buildings and stuff, you could get more milage out of them, for sure.

A standard Malifaux game is played on a 3x3 for reference.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    @No-Quarter Right now I just want to grab the rulebook and the Lilith starter and get it painted and play some games. So I won't be buying more stuff for a while. And when I do, it's guaranteed to be the Nephilim box (because the Growth list Lilith can run intrigues me) and Teddy (because it's fucking Teddy and he is one of the models that made me want to get into the game).

If new masters are released at Gencon, I'll have a look at them. But right now I'm focused on getting Lilith, painting it, and expanding it a little.

I don't know what Ten Thunders starter he's looking at. I think it's just The Thunder - Misaki box, the one with the fire elemental thing. But I'm pretty sure he's also looking at the Masters of the Path box, because he really likes the zombie Ashigaru.

As long it gets him to try the game, I'm happy.

@ForceVoid Is the streets set a generic set? I can't find it on the Malifaux site.

• Options
    Lilith's a great set to start with, and the Nephilim box is an excellent and no-brainer expansion on that. Teddy is super good, but doesn't necessarily synergize with Lilith's crew. He does over a good counterpoint to the Mature Nephilim, he's slower but harder to damage. Waldgeists (who make the forest templates) are another great pickup. You would need the Neverborn deck for their cards, though, although the new kit might be available at Gencon.

Also bear in mind the Masters of the Path (Yan Lo's crew) is a Wave 2 master, so you'll need to get the Wave 2 cards for them off them website: wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/53-malifaux-wave-2-cards-low-rez/

Also, unless the Misaki (The Thunder) box he gets is brand new, it'll have the 1.5 edition cards instead o fthe 2e, so he would need the 10 Thunders deck as well. It's 8 bucks and great value as it would cover all the 10 Thunders Masters/ crews/ Units for Wave 1.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, we're planning on getting the arsenal decks. Makes sense when they cover everything for a wave, it's basically like buying a codex in 40k.

I've read that certain units synergize with certain masters (and that Teddy synergizes with Baby Kade), but you're also pretty free to pick units anyway. So I want a Teddy. I'll be buying Pandoras crew eventually anyway.

I'm personally trying to stick to the plastics. The metals have a style that's... not my cup of tea, and why I didn't look further into Malifaux earlier.

If he buys the Masters of the Path, I'll let him know about that download. He's aware about the Misaki issue as well. But again, we're planning on getting the arsenal decks.

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Looks like I won't need to go in with two crews - I've successfully gotten my brother interested in playing the game (he's already bought a few minis to paint or use in conversions). He's going in with Ten Thunders, since he's pretty big into Asian themed stuff. I'm going in with the Lilith - Mother of Monsters starter. This weekend I should be grabbing the starter and second edition rulebook.

With Terraclips, how big of an area do they make? Do different sets mix together well?

You can pretty easily whip up a 2.5 x 2.5 area with the streets set (the one I have) that has some Los blocking raised areas. That's if you use the panels as the "floor." If you were just using them to build buildings and stuff, you could get more milage out of them, for sure.

A standard Malifaux game is played on a 3x3 for reference.

So, would 2 Streets sets make a good sized dense Malifaux table?

• Options
    Yeah, we're planning on getting the arsenal decks. Makes sense when they cover everything for a wave, it's basically like buying a codex in 40k.

I've read that certain units synergize with certain masters (and that Teddy synergizes with Baby Kade), but you're also pretty free to pick units anyway. So I want a Teddy. I'll be buying Pandoras crew eventually anyway.

Sounds good. And yes, more often than not, models thematically tied to a certain master will generally have obvious synergy.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Got a game in today against a good friend. We were feeling a bit rusty, but his Raspy managed to take my Seamus down. I've most def fallen behind on my henchman duties, and even though we had a good time, it still feels like this game lost a lot of traction when it switched editions.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    @ForceVoid Is the streets set a generic set? I can't find it on the Malifaux site.

The original run of Malifaux Terrclips had 3 sets, Streets, Sewers, and Buildings of Malifaux. I had noticed that some of those had fallen off the site over time.

Certainly, since you can make a pretty good board with one set, two sets gives you way more flexibility and options.

• Options
    I ended up finding the Streets of Malifaux set on the Terraclips website.

Do the different sets mix? Like, if I were to buy a sewer and street set, is it easy making a board that's a combination?

• Options
    Mechanically they match up. I assume that thematically you can match them up as well, but I've not had the pleasure.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd mix and match all the time. Used 'sewers' as 'gunk filled moats/city rivers' all the time, had buildings and streets bits as part of underground ruins, etc.

If you can afford it (or just buy in piecemeal), one of each of the original releases is a good way to go for variety, in my opinion.

A buddy of mine got one or two of the second wave, and while I've played on them a few times, I haven't actually built tables with them, so I can't really comment there. Personally I felt they had a lot of flavour, but think the original 3 are the strongest starting point.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The second wave Terraclips are more for kick-ass D&D dungeon terrain than wargame table terrain. All corridors and rooms and stuff. They also presumably sold badly as they seemed to be pretty swiftly discontinued.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Svenska wrote: »
    Got a game in today against a good friend. We were feeling a bit rusty, but his Raspy managed to take my Seamus down. I've most def fallen behind on my henchman duties, and even though we had a good time, it still feels like this game lost a lot of traction when it switched editions.

How so?

Do you have your crew lists? Rasputina is a relatively poor matchup for Seamus due to Frozen Heart neutralizing hiscrews' Fear tests.

• Options
    My flgs had around 5 pretty dedicated players and a few more that I would lend crews to when they wanted a game. After everyone got word that a new edition was on the way, they simply stopped playing, and even with wave 2 stuff out I can't really get them interested anymore.

Our crews for that game were just the starters. I planned on kiting the golem around with the belles while Seamus took care of the little guys, but I could just never put a bit hit on anybody the whole game. Meanwhile his golem would just mash whatever was in front of it while Raspy shot everyone. Had a blast, made me miss my Tara crew.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• Options
    Svenska wrote: »
    My flgs had around 5 pretty dedicated players and a few more that I would lend crews to when they wanted a game. After everyone got word that a new edition was on the way, they simply stopped playing, and even with wave 2 stuff out I can't really get them interested anymore.

This is completely mind-boggling to me. Gamers are so irrational. They pulled this crap with 40k, too.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, after 5th we lost everybody too. Warmachine is the absolute king right now, so if you want to play anything with regularity, it has to be that.

I'm done being negative though. Really can't wait for the new Jack Daw and Molly. I think I'm going in for another game tonight too, so it could be much worse.

Svenska on

• Options
    Nice. Seamus vs Raspy again? Use his gun (after Focusing) on the golem and cheat in Severe damage. It'll die after 2 turns of that. Just beware the golem and gamin explode when they die.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Around here it's been a pretty interesting sequence of events. Starting from way-back-when:
    1. Later Mk1 Warmachine books come out and the game goes from slightly unstable to completely nuts. Players start turning to Malifaux.
    2. Second Malifaux book comes out and the game immediately escalates past where Warmachine ended. Players abandon it in droves.
    3. Mk2 playtest starts. Players fleeing Malifaux are willing to give it a try.
    4. Mk2 comes out. Warmachine's popularity explodes.
    5. WHFB 8E comes out. Warhammer completely disappears from the greater Seattle area.
    6. Warmachine continues to expand and colossals come out. Warmachine continues to be huge, but veteran Warmachine players get a bit antsy.
    7. Infinity 2nd comes out. Veteran Warmachine players try it and discover a nice side game.
    8. M2E comes out. Veteran Warmachine players try it and discover a nice side game.
    9. WHFB 8E experiences a revival, largely among players who have never played a previous edition. Veteran Warmachine players try it and... discover a nice side game?
    10. WH40k continues to exist.

• Options
    In we plunged last night. Ordered the second edition rulebook and Mother of Monsters. My brother is watching an ebay listing for The Thunder and a box of archers.

@admanb 'Side game' attitude is exactly why I'm enjoying Infinity, and why I'm hoping I'll enjoy Malifaux. I don't have the time anymore to paint entire armies, and I don't have the time anymore to play massive battle games like 40k. Skirmish games like Infinity and Malifaux give me smaller sets of unique models to have fun painting, and smaller, quicker games to play in the limited time I get.

• Options
    Besides the card mechanic (which is quite possibly this game's best feature), I think the low model count is what really drew me in. I was sick as having to buy, paint, and MOVE dozens of figs per turn.

• Options
    How does this game scale with multiple players? We used to have fun times with 40k playing 3 and 4 player games, but Infinity really is not built for that kind of thing. It would be neat if Malifaux could fill that void.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I think there might be a couple 3 player scenarios in their web magazine.

I've never tried it, but, with it might work with a couple of the strategies and schemes.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they've had an article or two about it. Personally, I think a 3 player free-for-all would suffer from the problem that many such games stumble on; ending up with 1 player crushed by the other 2 and then watching from the sidelines as the others battle it out. For some people/groups this isn't an issue, but it's worth recognizing.

That said, my group has had fun with 2 vs 2 games, and I see no reason you couldn't play out, say, 2 vs 1. Two with 30ss each versus one with 60ss, or whatever you like. Masters being 'front loaded' in terms of power could be a concern, but didn't 2.0 flatten the curve a little? The changes to soul stones (added flips and a suit rather than a flat additional card) alone should make even a pair of combat monster masters less terrifying than they might've been.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Jury duty is done (fortunately it was a quick trial), so I am back to having some energy for hobby time. I put the finishing touches on my Vik, I'll try to take some good pics this weekend (although I may post an iphone one in the meantime). Her face turned out the best of any model I've painted; it probably helps that only one eye is visible, so I didn't have to worry about them lining up properly to avoid a derpy look.

I also got my No Shelter Here and Bayou Boss crews. I really am not looking forward to putting the Skeeters together.

EDIT: And a question: once you have the rules down and know your crews fairly well, how long do ~30 or ~50 point battles usually take? I know the book gives estimates, but those don't always reflect the real world :smile: Our first game (15pt) took about a half hour to setup and 1.5 hours to play, but we were looking in the book and reading our cards a lot, so I know that should reduce a lot when we get the hang of things.

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It is possible to bang out a 50pt game in a couple hours if you are really familiar with your crews/strategy objectives, but it can be more like 3-4. That's going to be pretty variable based on model counts, what schemes you end up with etc.

Since my group has very limited gaming time, I'll normally send out an email with all the setup pre-generated, spoilered if you are interested:
    This example happens to be with a 35 pt list, which we finished in 2.5 hours, but my opponent was very new at the time.

1 - Define and Place Terrain (TBD)
    2 - Determine Encounter Size - 35 Stones should work out for our time frame
    3 - Announce Factions - I'll be playing Outcasts
    4 - Determine Deployment (Standard Deployment - 6" in from table edge)
    5 - Determine Strategy and Available Schemes
    - Strategy is (11 Tomes) Squatter's Rights
    - Setup - Place 5 small markers across the centerline
    - Special Rules - Basically, take a (1) Interact Action to claim a Squat Marker for your crew. They can flip back and forth as we take and retake them.
    - Victory Points - At the end of each turn after the first, a Crew earns 1 VP if it has claim to at least two Squat Markers
    - Available Schemes (you'll choose two). Note - you can only get a max of 3 VP per scheme (total of 6 VP if you rock it) - Placing a Scheme Marker in base-to-base and not within 4" of another friendly Scheme Marker is a (1) Action. Any model can nuke all enemy Scheme Markers in base contact with a (1) Action.
    - A Line in the Sand - At end of game, 2 VP if you have placed at least 4 Scheme Markers on the Centerline - If it is Revealed, +1 VP if you've placed at least 2 at the end.
    - Plant Evidence - At the end of the game, 1 VP for each piece of terrain in base contact with at least one Scheme Marker, if the Marker in the in Enemy half of the table - If Revealed, and you've earned at least 2 VP from this scheme, get +1 VP.
    - Breakthrough - At the end of the game, 1 VP for each Scheme Marker within 6" of enemy deployment zone - If Revealed, and you've earned at least 2 VP from this scheme, get +1 VP.
    - Protect Territory - At the end of the game, you gain 1 VP for each Scheme Marker at least 6" from your deployment zone and that has at least 1 friendly non-Peon within 2" of it. If there are more enemy models around the Marker than friendlies, it doesn't count - If Revealed, and you've earned at least 2 VP from this scheme, get +1 VP.
    - Take Prisoner - Note one enemy model at start of game. At the end of the game, if you have at least 1 non-Peon model engaged with the selected model, 2 VP. If no enemy models within 3" of the chosen model and you have at least 1 non-Peon model engaged with the selected model, 3 VP instead - No bonus for Revealing this Scheme.

6 - Hire Crews and Attach Upgrades
    - Here is the awesome new 2ED crew creator, use this: http://www.malifaux.com/M2eCrew.php
    7 - Choose your two Schemes (you get to know your list and my list before you pick)
    - Here's my list: http://www.malifaux.com/M2eCrew.php?ss=35&f=5&l=90,50,53&t=197,150&m=193x1,154|70x1|70x1|70x1
    8 - Reveal Schemes (if you want)
    9 - Deploy

10 - Have fun!

Enjoy this long-winded setup. As "responsible" adults, we have to schedule our fun.

As for the terrain, I've got a set of "Streets of Malifaux" Terraclips that I break down into modular chunks, so I set that stuff up while he was digging out models to proxy/getting his cards ready, etc.

This worked out great, and I was surprised how much time is "wasted" with dinking around setting up terrain, bsing about whatever during deployment.

That stuff was great when I had infinite time, but that is a luxury of the past.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Awesome, I like the idea of pre-generating stuff like schemes, deployment, etc.

I wish the Streets of Malifaux terraclips wasn't discontinued ... can't find it available anywhere anymore. Sewers is available, but I don't know if it'd mesh well with other terrain I have (houses, rock formations, forests, graveyard, hills ... most of my terrain is from my Warhammer Fantasy days).

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Like I said, all the Terraclips stuff seems to be discontinued from production. Sewers is just available because it was less popular (shock!) and so there's still stock floating around.

Kind of a pity as it was really good stuff in my opinion, if a little fiddly during actual creation and teardown. You certainly had to have it set up before hand, making stuff from it is not really a quick job.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'll get a better pic and put it up in the painting thread this weekend, but here is my finished Vik! I think I will move onto Lady J next.

L4bBKSq.jpg?1

• Options
    Wow, that eye work looks great!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @-Loki-‌

They had multiplayer Scenarios in the web zine, and they will have them (and more) in the Scenario deck when it drops- which might be Gencon, actually.

We played the 3 man secnario and it is NOT a free-for-all. 2 of the players face off like normal, and the odd man gets his own randomly determined secret objective separate from the others. The only reason I even had to interact with the other players was to continually "help" the underdog to keep them in check while accomplishing my own scheme. It played surprisingly well, came down to 1 or 2 VPs, and I had a lot of fun.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Dang the streets set was discontinued? I thought it just dropped off the wyrd store, I saw it on the terraclips store. Looks like I'll be buying some MDF buildings, then.

Good to know about the multiplayer scenarios. Is there a way to get them since I never subscribed to the webzine?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I assume all the back issues are on their site.

• Options
    Dang the streets set was discontinued? I thought it just dropped off the wyrd store, I saw it on the terraclips store. Looks like I'll be buying some MDF buildings, then.

Good to know about the multiplayer scenarios. Is there a way to get them since I never subscribed to the webzine?

This one has the scenario rules: wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/76-wyrd-chronicles-volume-11/

Here's the rest:
    wyrd-games.net/community/files/category/1-wyrd-chronicles/?sort_order=ASC&sort_key=file_name&num=10&filter_key=all

• Options
    I'll make sure I grab them.

Multiplayer games for us are also a way of introducing another person in our group to the game, so that one where one person is just doing his own thing while the other two duke it out sounds perfect.

• Options
    I have to say this - I adore the game description on the back of the book. Alternate Earth Gothic Steampunk Victorian horror mixed with the Wild West.

Could they possibly fit any more themes in there?

• Options
    I have to say this - I adore the game description on the back of the book. Alternate Earth Gothic Steampunk Victorian horror mixed with the Wild West.

Could they possibly fit any more themes in there?

With 10 Thunders and Kirai it's got the asian vibe, too.

• Options
    So seems like plans have changed and my borhter might be going Outlaw, with the Hired Swords box (because he can't seem to get his hands on The Thunder). Hired Swords is right up his alley - a bunch of female Samurai.

I have a read through the rules last night, and it feels surprisingly like Infinity. Opposed Duels are a lot like Face to Face roll offs, just with cards instead of dice.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sort of like Infinity except not written by crazy Spaniards, yes.

Just a warning: Hired Swords can be a tough box to start with. The sisters hit like trucks, but that entire box is very fragile.