As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXtastic Voyage! Pre-PAX Boardgame Night (Sheraton Edition)

• Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular
    Just thought of another question. What will the food situation be like? Will there be food available for purchase on site? Are we allowed to bring food in? Will the Cookie Brigade be attending? I forgot to eat dinner tonight so now all I can think of is food related issues :smirk:

• ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    Just thought of another question. What will the food situation be like? Will there be food available for purchase on site? Are we allowed to bring food in? Will the Cookie Brigade be attending? I forgot to eat dinner tonight so now all I can think of is food related issues :smirk:
    I know The Sheraton has the Daily Grill, but from my experience it's pretty expensive. The original post answers your last two questions, but I'm not sure what the downstairs food will entail other than cookies.
    COOL SHIT
    There will be between 375 - 450 seats available.
    A Cookie Brigade Station will be available for you to get delicious noms, and Bakers Dropoff!
    There will be a bar upstairs.
    Food will be available downstairs, and you can bring it upstairs with you.

I'm looking forward to finally attending. Hope to see you all there!

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Solelron wrote: »
    At this point I plan on being there. Depends if crew needs my help at setup or not. Not sure what games I'm bringing this year (I see someone else bringing most of the portable SJ Games so I don't need to bring my copies LOL)

Keep in mind that there will be a couple hundred people there, so it's not guaranteed that you'll be able to find the person with the games you want to play, or that someone else won't be playing them already. If you really want to play something, it's not a bad idea to bring it with you.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.

We discourage bringing food in, since the Sheraton gives us this space for free. Instead, purchasing from the restaurant there and bringing it up with you is highly encouraged.

Also encouraged is reading the OP, where most of your questions have already been addressed ;)

• Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular
    oops, not sure how I missed that in the OP. thanks

edited July 2014
    For the first time ever, we're doing Game Night buttons!! Thanks @JobiwanKenobi‌ for the design.

dcbym80j8b9q.png

LexiconGrrl on
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    For the first time ever, we're doing Game Night buttons!! Thanks @JobiwanKenobi‌ for the design.

dcbym80j8b9q.png

look awesome Lexi!

Right?! He did a great job.

• BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I'll for sure be there. I will attempt to bring some games with me. No promises though since I try to travel light.

• Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    This looks great! Cant wait to come! I have a few games I can bring, although I will be flying so have to keep it to a minimum. Heres a pic of some games I have, http://i.imgur.com/DuW4nZD.jpg and am also trying to order these as well(trying to buy from work, so not sure if Ill have all of them before August.)
    Wiz-War
    Kingdom Builder
    Vegas Showdown
    Citadels
    Takenoko
    and the DC Deckbuilder #2

If anyone is interested in some of these, let me know, I can bring a couple games if I have some space!

| Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
    Is there a dress code for this? I completely plan on attending but this takes place Post Vegas morning and after Vegas post flight nap. I probably am just going to roll down the stairs and zombie shuffle my way to the nearest open board game. in short is this a Ninja turtle/X-Men, (perhaps X-Men VS Ninja Turtle crossover story line onesy, type get up) PJ friendly event? Also do I need socks and shoes? Just asking... for a friend... >_>

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    Is there a dress code for this? I completely plan on attending but this takes place Post Vegas morning and after Vegas post flight nap. I probably am just going to roll down the stairs and zombie shuffle my way to the nearest open board game. in short is this a Ninja turtle/X-Men, (perhaps X-Men VS Ninja Turtle crossover story line onesy, type get up) PJ friendly event? Also do I need socks and shoes? Just asking... for a friend... >_>

Nope just show up. :)

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    I'm going to bring so much shame with me... :s

• CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    Ain't no shame when you game!

• PottedMeatPottedMeat Registered User regular
    (perhaps X-Men VS Ninja Turtle crossover story line onesy, type get up) PJ friendly event?

My only shame......is my lack of owning a onesy...

• neo_blade01neo_blade01 Registered User regular
    A little update about Cinelinx: I will not be able to bring it in time for this as they won't ship my copy until mid September. It was hopeful of me to get this in time to share with you, but better to have all kinks worked out before release.

And hopefully pants. Pants would be good too. :p

• AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular

You could come down WITHOUT pants and as long as you're wearing something Razorback related you'd be welcome at my table anytime. :smiley:

@BadNews65‌ - in all seriousness tho, dress code is 'cover thy nakedness'. It's still a public hotel; I'd recommend shoes.

@BadNews65‌ - in all seriousness tho, dress code is 'cover thy nakedness'. It's still a public hotel; I'd recommend shoes.

Flipflops and a bikini it is! o:)

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Pre-PAX Board Game Night at the Seattle Sheraton Hotel

I just wanted to let you all know that you're awesome. ;)

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho

You could come down WITHOUT pants and as long as you're wearing something Razorback related you'd be welcome at my table anytime. :smiley:

WPS!

• Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Update to my games, I think I can bring these so far since theyre super light, this list may update as I get in some more games.

I WILL be bringing:
    Boss Monster
    Compounded
    Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre
    King of Tokyo
    Kittens in a Blender
    Penny Arcade The Card Game(2 player only)
    Splendor

Alpha I Omega on
    | Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    I'd be down for a game of King of Tokyo. I will be on the look out for you and your stack of games. :)

I'm mildly intrigued by Kittens in a Blender just by the name alone I hope it's as fun as it sounds.

I'm mildly intrigued by Kittens in a Blender just by the name alone I hope it's as fun as it sounds.

Fantasticaly fun game, you try to save your cat's and blend other cats. Simple and fun I'd recommend it for anyone.

I actually looked it up and it does sound fun would love to see my friend's faces when I ask them if they want to play! Also looked up King of Tokyo and sounds fun as well! I mean who doesn't want to be some giant monster or alien taking over Tokyo?

edited July 2014
    I actually looked it up and it does sound fun would love to see my friend's faces when I ask them if they want to play! Also looked up King of Tokyo and sounds fun as well! I mean who doesn't want to be some giant monster or alien taking over Tokyo?

King of New York is supposed to be out soon which is a sequel of sorts, hopefully I'll be able to bring that too, the date isn't set from what I've seen, but should be mid to late August

Alpha I Omega on
  • SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    Another game request: Betrayal at House on the Hill.

• rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    Sorry if this is a silly question, I read the FAQ but didn't really see anything.

Do you have to have a PAX badge to come? I have my own badges but my little brother (15) is going to be in Seattle that week as well, and loves playing board games, although he doesn't have PAX badges because he's there for a sports thing. Could I bring him along with me or would that be frowned upon?

• Spartanguy12Spartanguy12 The Toppermost of the Poppermost Right here...Registered User regular
    I made an account just to reply to this thread and say how superly duperly fantastically awesome this is! Here's a list of the stuff I own. Let me know if you'd be interested, and hopefully I can accommodate...
    • Formula D
    • Ticket to Ride
    • Betrayal at House on the Hill
    • The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game (Fantasy Flight)
    • King of Tokyo
    • Kombat Kittens
    • Munchkin
    • Dungeon! (2012)
    • Love Letter
    • Pass the Pigs
    • How to Human
    • Cards Against Humanity (base game only)
    • Forbidden Island
    • Lords of Waterdeep

And on top of that, I will hopefully be getting a few more games, that I backed through Kickstarter, in the mail before PAX that I'll glad bring along.

edited July 2014
    rahnawyn wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a silly question, I read the FAQ but didn't really see anything.

Do you have to have a PAX badge to come? I have my own badges but my little brother (15) is going to be in Seattle that week as well, and loves playing board games, although he doesn't have PAX badges because he's there for a sports thing. Could I bring him along with me or would that be frowned upon?

Bring him! This event isn't part of official Pax, and is open to anyone.

LexiconGrrl on
    I made an account just to reply to this thread and say how superly duperly fantastically awesome this is! Here's a list of the stuff I own. Let me know if you'd be interested, and hopefully I can accommodate...
    • Formula D
    • Ticket to Ride
    • Betrayal at House on the Hill
    • The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game (Fantasy Flight)
    • King of Tokyo
    • Kombat Kittens
    • Munchkin
    • Dungeon! (2012)
    • Love Letter
    • Pass the Pigs
    • How to Human
    • Cards Against Humanity (base game only)
    • Forbidden Island
    • Lords of Waterdeep

And on top of that, I will hopefully be getting a few more games, that I backed through Kickstarter, in the mail before PAX that I'll glad bring along.

Lords of Waterdeep all the way.
    I also have a copy of the Legend of Drizzt if anyone is interested I will try to figure out a way to cram it in my luggage.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I really wish I could haul more of my games up. Its not cheap to travel with em LOL. I'll bring a good selection. I'll even bring my MvX Dice Masters if anyone is up for a game

• AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular

It's wonderful to play with kids, too. Especially when if you daugher is obsessed with cats like mine. I drive her nuts with this game. Muah hahaha.

Just got caught up on the OP, the games list is updated! I'll also be bringing a stack of games to share and check out.

Newbie Pro Tip: This event is really big and covers a large area. By the time you get there, it can be hard to find that gal/guy who brought the game that you requested 2 months ago. I'll endeavor to provide good game matchup services at the info table but it's a super good idea if you private message each other with cell phone numbers or something beforehand, so that you can find each other in the ballroom.

I started checking out TableTop on Geek and Sundry actually a couple weeks ago to see what games I might possibly would like to try and Ticket to Ride sounds like fun too!

@AaronElWhite‌
    It definitely has an eye catching name and reading the mechanics sounds like fun so I wouldn't be against playing lol

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I started checking out TableTop on Geek and Sundry actually a couple weeks ago to see what games I might possibly would like to try and Ticket to Ride sounds like fun too!

@AaronElWhite‌
    It definitely has an eye catching name and reading the mechanics sounds like fun so I wouldn't be against playing lol

Ticket to ride is super fun and I'm almost sure it will be at table top night

Rhea_starstorm on

@AaronElWhite‌

We've got T2R on the ipad, and I LOVE playing it like that. It's a really fun game, but there are many pieces and the scoring can get confusing. It's one of those games like Carcasonne - meaning that it's easier to learn on a computer, where you can focus on mechanics and strategy instead of getting bogged down by complex scoring. Once you've mastered it there, then it's way easier to track all the little bits on the tabletop board.

I bought the 10th anniversary edition of T2R and was BLOWN away by the quality. I'm a huge fan and really enjoy the game. Wish I could bring it with me on the plane to share with everyone.

T2R is super simple imo, my strategy is to spam the train cards the first 10 turns, then finish routes. Then you get more routes and assess whether you should add trains or get even more routes. Although some of the other T2R countries change the game quite a bit and require different strategies

This discussion has been closed.