As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a new job

MayaMaya Registered User new member
I've come to the end of my tether on my current job, which has been getting me down for a while, but last week was the final straw. I basically need help, but am not finding any good options. Right now, and for the last 6 years, I've been working as a housecleaner for a small company, basically doing maid service in people's homes. I have a young kid, and I'm a single mom, so I still need assistance even with my wages (which are minimum wage). I didn't finish school, and while I don't have any debt I live paycheck to paycheck - should I look at going back to school, or are there other options?

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Have you tried filing for financial assistance with your local county welfare office? I know in California parents can qualify for cash aid from the county government depending on their income level (however if you just quit your job, that may affect things UNLESS you can provide a valid reason for quitting your job, don't know the specifics of that to be honest). You could also file for food stamps and Medi-Caid, to cover health insurance and help cover food needs of your family.

These are forms of assistance that could help alleviate your burden, so I'd strongly encourage you to at least go apply for these services, regardless of whether they end up approving you.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Thanks - I don't know what they think would be a valid reason - I feel like it's pretty valid, but I don't know.

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    I can't say, but BEFORE you quit, I'd possibly give them a call and explain your situation.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    I'll definitely try it - I'm worried that it may not be the kind of thing that they will think is enough, but it was the last straw for me.

• Options
    So I've done a lot of research on this, and it seems that I there is no way to get assistance if I quit my job, despite what happened. I'm at a loss.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Maya wrote: »
    So I've done a lot of research on this, and it seems that I there is no way to get assistance if I quit my job, despite what happened. I'm at a loss.

You work for minimum wage and no benefits. Go literally anywhere else for employment and you will get either the same or better. Apply to every business near your home that has a now wanted sign and once you get that job offer in writing quit your current job.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Where do you live? How far can you commute? What are your skills?

• Options
    spaboollyspaboolly Registered User regular
    These days, the only thing certain to come out of higher education is debt. It does not guarantee work opportunities the way it used to (and should). It may be better to look into some kind of technical training/certification if you're going to aim for the skilled labor route. Jobs are hard to come by these days in most places. It's terrible, and please don't think I don't feel for you (believe me I know what it's like to be at your wit's end with the world still beating you down), but it is what it is.

ForumTriforce2.jpg
    Scribe. Purveyor of Logic. Player of Video Games.
  • Options
    ZeitgeistHeistZeitgeistHeist Registered User regular
    Something that has worked out well for me in the past when I was in college (with no degree yet and a weird schedule), was choosing a few businesses that I would actually want to work at, even if they weren't hiring, and then sending them an email or paying them a visit with my resume. I would basically say, "Hey, I know it doesn't look like you're hiring right now, but I really love what your company is doing and if you're considering picking up someone new in the future, here's my info. I would love to be that person." I've gotten several jobs that way at companies that I actually cared about.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    spaboolly wrote: »
    These days, the only thing certain to come out of higher education is debt. It does not guarantee work opportunities the way it used to (and should). It may be better to look into some kind of technical training/certification if you're going to aim for the skilled labor route. Jobs are hard to come by these days in most places. It's terrible, and please don't think I don't feel for you (believe me I know what it's like to be at your wit's end with the world still beating you down), but it is what it is.
    One exception to this is the medical field. It's not a guarantee, but CNAs and nurses can usually get a job somewhere. If that's something you think you could do, even something like lab techs or phlebotomist might be an option. Those roles also require a much short training time, so you could get going faster.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Maya wrote: »
    I've come to the end of my tether on my current job, which has been getting me down for a while, but last week was the final straw. I basically need help, but am not finding any good options. Right now, and for the last 6 years, I've been working as a housecleaner for a small company, basically doing maid service in people's homes. I have a young kid, and I'm a single mom, so I still need assistance even with my wages (which are minimum wage). I didn't finish school, and while I don't have any debt I live paycheck to paycheck - should I look at going back to school, or are there other options?

Can you clean homes for yourself, rather than through a company? That way you get the whole amount of what the householders pay you, not the pittance the agency gives you. I have a housecleaner who works for herself, and I found her through a local small ad. I estimate that assuming she does two houses a day like mine (which takes her 3 hours), she's doing all right. Certainly well above minimum wage.