As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Eyes up, Guardians. Our adventure begins!

GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles PaesanoRegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in Games and Technology
We called it the Traveler, and its arrival changed us forever. Great cities were built on Mars and Venus; Mercury became a garden world. Human lifespan tripled. It was a time of miracles. We stared out at the galaxy and knew that it was our Destiny to walk in the light of other stars.

But the Traveler had an enemy. A Darkness - which had hunted it for eons, across the black gulfs of space, centuries after our Golden Age began. This Darkness... found us. And that was the end of everything.

That is, until Peter Dinklage found you, Guardian!

7wqy627to2qz.jpg

Destiny: Penny Arcade G&T Saves the Universe and Everything in It is an online multiplayer action role-playing sci-fi-fantasy *deep breath* first-person shooter for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 and the first title in a proposed 10-year, zillion-dollar franchise from Bungie and Activision. It’s MMO-like – think gear, skill trees, leveling up, and party play – with an emphasis on exploration and discovery.

The game is set in our own solar system, 700 years in the future, following a prosperous period of exploration and colonization ushered in by the arrival of the “Traveler,” a mysterious celestial body (pictured above). The Golden Age came to an abrupt end as a result of a momentous event called “the Collapse,” a calamity that wiped out human colonies everywhere, and as our story begins, humanity has retreated to the Last City on Earth, our shared home and the launching point for our journey back to the stars.

The Traveler watches over the Last City, and it is recruiting heroes from Earth to help protect our doomed planet, but the Darkness that hunts it is descending upon us. We must fight back against that Darkness, Guardians. We must suit up and set out - to the Moon and the planets beyond. We are humanity’s last hope.

So join up! We have a clan on both systems!

We've assembled a Bungie.net group - and within that group, a PlayStation clan and an Xbox clan - so that PA G&Ters can play together. We'll be running Strikes (instances) and Raids and hitting up the Crucible (PvP) in huge fireteams!

To join:
1. Send @GMaster7 (on the PS side) or @ObiFett (on the Xbox side) - or preferably, both - a PM, letting us know that you're applying.
2. Hit up the Bungie.net group - right here, at this link - and apply for membership.
3. Add yourself to the Pax Arcadia Mega-Roster that we've created to keep track of membership. Use the tabs at the bottom to select your console, and put yourself at the bottom of your tab's list. We'll bump you up to your proper alphabetical placement once you're in the group.
4. When we get your PM and see that you're on the spreadsheet, we'll accept you to the group. Then, you have to separately join your system's clan - so click "Set as PlayStation Clan" or "Set as Xbox Clan" in the group's banner on Bungie.net to officially add yourself to the clan roster. (Note: This only works after you've played the game on your system for the first time.)
5. Friend some PAers, hop online, and take to the skies in the name of Pax Arcadia!

Also: mysterious pre-release codes with unknown benefit!
Courtesy of @Beltaine: Although we don't know what these codes really do, they were collectible in the alpha and you might as well take a few minutes and redeem them at http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption to see what kind of benefit they eventually confer. They're grimoire-related, I think.
Warlock: YKA-RJG-MH9
Hunter: 3DA-P4X-F6A
Titan: MVD-4N3-NKH
Rixis: TCN-HCD-TGY
Old-Russia: HDX-ALM-V4K
Hive: 473-MXR-3X9
Moon: JMR-LFN-4A3
Gjallorhorn: HC3-H44-DKC
Duke MK.44: 69P-KRM-JJA
The Tower: 69P-VCH-337
The Hive: 69R-CKD-X7L
Valley of the kings, Mars: 69R-DDD-FCP
The Fallen: 69R-F99-AXG
Red Death: 69R-VL7-J6A
The Cabal: 69X-DJN-74V
The Devastated Coast, Venus: 6A7-7NP-3X7
Vex Minotaur: 6A9-DTG-YGN

Additional code from the Destiny Planet View website, which unlocks an exclusive emblem: 7F9-767-F74

Additional codes from the Limited Edition:
FJ9-LAM-67F
JD7-4CM-HJG
JDT-NLC-JKM
JNX-DMH-XLA
7CP-94V-LFP

Still more codes!
7MM-VPD-MHP - Shader: Double Banshee
RXC-9XJ-4MH - Shader: Oracle 99
X4C-FGX-MX3 (new on launch day)

And finally:

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
GMaster7 on

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Right after my 7.0 I played a game with a 5.0. Damn golden gun, you really go to work. I also started using a new lmg that has very little recoil and it drops enemies fast.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    Right after my 7.0 I played a game with a 5.0. Damn golden gun, you really go to work. I also started using a new lmg that has very little recoil and it drops enemies fast.

You were killing it with that golden gun last night (was it last night?). So awesome.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It cannot be unseen!

70rh4drvy1al.jpg

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My hand cannon isn't as cool as I thought. The "killing enemies grants bonus ammo into the magazine" enhancement? It only works once every two to three cylinders. I am disappoint.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I am so pumped for this game you guys.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    How is the multiplayer?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    For anyone who's trying it out now, for the first time, thanks to the Open Beta status - has anyone figured out how to download it for the PS3?

Since it's open beta, I shouldn't NEED to have it pre-ordered, right? Though I technically do because I have the PS4 bundle coming to me Sept. 9th. I can't seem to find any links on the PSN store.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fitting of page 1, is there another link for adding oneself to the Google Doc? And how do I join the clan?

Edit: Never mind, thank you for the new OP.

Achire on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    For anyone who's trying it out now, for the first time, thanks to the Open Beta status - has anyone figured out how to download it for the PS3?

Since it's open beta, I shouldn't NEED to have it pre-ordered, right? Though I technically do because I have the PS4 bundle coming to me Sept. 9th. I can't seem to find any links on the PSN store.

It was in the demo section for PS4 preorders, try checking there.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Regarding my respawn/revive situation: I used the pause menu to go back to the swap char screen.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Whew, okay. Done. I think that's my very first OP!

I'll put some screenshots and video and whatever else in it eventually. But I hope that serves our purpose for now.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Whew, okay. Done. I think that's my very first OP!

I'll put some screenshots and video and whatever else in it eventually. But I hope that serves our purpose for now.

Make sure to add this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XbsFxyYpE&index=1&list=FLX09HQa2SCPpzNOlfUlwSxg

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the new thread @GMaster7‌!

Time to hop in for some Crucible antics. Wonder if the servers will hold up now that it's open to everyone....

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Ok, I can't really figure out loot. I've seen stuff in the ground, even green stuff. Sometimes I walk over it and it picks it up. Others it stays on the ground. It doesn't seem like there's an inventory limit, and I didn't notice any green gear. What am I missing?

Also, what does breaking it down do? Just destroy it pretty much?

If it's a green thing that looks like a soccer ball, that's loot. If it's a green box that looks like a big sardine can, that's ammo. If your ammo is full, you can't pick it up.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    If it's a green thing that looks like a soccer ball, that's loot. If it's a green box that looks like a big sardine can, that's ammo. If your ammo is full, you can't pick it up.

@Tommatt: And a lot of time, the piece of gear you pick up will be an Engram, which needs to be decrypted at the Cryptarch (in town) so that you can see what it is/equip it.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It cannot be unseen!

70rh4drvy1al.jpg

damn you

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    My friends list in game seems broke. Any on else have that problem?

Tommatt: And a lot of time, the piece of gear you pick up will be an Engram, which needs to be decrypted at the Cryptarch (in town) so that you can see what it is/equip it.

And when you decrypt it, it may not be the color it once was. So a green engram can turn into a shitty white item.

Or a level 9 green item that will sit there. Trolling you. Laughing. "Ooh, you're stuck at level 8! Hahaha sucker! Ooh, what are you going to do? Hit me? You can't even touch me, baby 8." Even worse is the level 10 blue item that looks so fucking awesome, but hey, still level 8! You can't use that shit, but you sure wish you could. Keep it in your inventory, maybe Bungie will raise the level cap for the event on Saturday so you can get a taste of the badassness of that sweet auto rifle with the ricocheting bullets and the sweet scope and..

This game just needs to fucking release already.

I just learned than the level engrams decrypt at is based on when you turn them in, not when you pick them up.

I level up a Warlock from 1 to 8 today, keeping all green drops till level 8. While the strategy thankfully worked, providing a shortcut to great loot at level 8, I did lose serval items to the dreaded level 9.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I just got an email that this is open beta access for everybody now! So I'm downloading to my PS3 now.

• HounHoun Registered User regular

Tommatt: And a lot of time, the piece of gear you pick up will be an Engram, which needs to be decrypted at the Cryptarch (in town) so that you can see what it is/equip it.

And when you decrypt it, it may not be the color it once was. So a green engram can turn into a shitty white item.

Or a level 9 green item that will sit there. Trolling you. Laughing. "Ooh, you're stuck at level 8! Hahaha sucker! Ooh, what are you going to do? Hit me? You can't even touch me, baby 8." Even worse is the level 10 blue item that looks so fucking awesome, but hey, still level 8! You can't use that shit, but you sure wish you could. Keep it in your inventory, maybe Bungie will raise the level cap for the event on Saturday so you can get a taste of the badassness of that sweet auto rifle with the ricocheting bullets and the sweet scope and..

This game just needs to fucking release already.

Try having a level 20 purple in your bank.

Also, @CarbonFire‌ is a hero. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    It cannot be unseen!

70rh4drvy1al.jpg

damn you

Untitled-1.jpg

Houn wrote: »
    Also, @CarbonFire‌ is a hero. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

I saw you guys in your Strike and reaaaally wanted to join but there wasn't room. Next time. Or Saturday when the moon mission opens up at 2 PM PDT. (Fingers crossed.)

Good playing with ya @Houn. Sorry if I took too many kills in your quest to underlevel the story missions :#

I really wish the 6v6 maps (other than the Moon) were a bit bigger. There's barely any room to flank, and a well organized team can lock down pretty devastating killing lanes on maps like Venus. So far not super sold on any of the Crucible maps, but I've yet to try the Mars one.

• NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Good playing with ya @Houn. Sorry if I took too many kills in your quest to underlevel the story missions :#

I really wish the 6v6 maps (other than the Moon) were a bit bigger. There's barely any room to flank, and a well organized team can lock down pretty devastating killing lanes on maps like Venus. So far not super sold on any of the Crucible maps, but I've yet to try the Mars one.

Mars is probably the most problematic map, in my opinion- at least for control. B and C are far too close together compared to A, and simply locking down those two is a task even an unorganized fireteam could pull off.

But it's cool and has a spinning wheel so you know.

Zanzibar.

PSN: corporateshill
    Maybe I missed something but this game does a horrible job at times explaining things. I finished a mission and got offered some weapons. 2 rocket launchers and a machine gun. I didn't realize this was a "heavy" weapon and went with the machine gun as I've been using a hand cannon. Not a bad thing, but I really didn't know what I was selecting. After doing this, I realized I had a shotgun. I have not figured out how to switch to this though. Took me awhile to figure out holding Y gave me the machine gun, and I kept running around with no ammo in a PVP match because you have to pick it up I guess.

Also, I guess you can shoot on the speeders? I have hit every button and haven't figured it out but I swear I saw people doing this.

Tommatt wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something but this game does a horrible job at times explaining things. I finished a mission and got offered some weapons. 2 rocket launchers and a machine gun. I didn't realize this was a "heavy" weapon and went with the machine gun as I've been using a hand cannon. Not a bad thing, but I really didn't know what I was selecting. After doing this, I realized I had a shotgun. I have not figured out how to switch to this though. Took me awhile to figure out holding Y gave me the machine gun, and I kept running around with no ammo in a PVP match because you have to pick it up I guess.

Also, I guess you can shoot on the speeders? I have hit every button and haven't figured it out but I swear I saw people doing this.

The speeders that can shoot are vehicles on the Moon map, and only on that map (so far). The personal speeder hovercraft that you can summon anytime in the open world does not have any weapons (that we know of yet).

And yes, they could do a slightly getter job of delineating what icons are for what "slot", and how to use all of the weapons. Some of that is learned though, and in the grand scheme of things the choices you make early on will be of little consequence as you progress through the game. By the time you have the opportunity to get meaningful gear that you'll want to keep for a while, you will likely have a decent grasp of how the loot system works.

The speeders that can shoot are vehicles on the Moon map, and only on that map (so far). The personal speeder hovercraft that you can summon anytime in the open world does not have any weapons (that we know of yet).

And yes, they could do a slightly getter job of delineating what icons are for what "slot", and how to use all of the weapons. Some of that is learned though, and in the grand scheme of things the choices you make early on will be of little consequence as you progress through the game. By the time you have the opportunity to get meaningful gear that you'll want to keep for a while, you will likely have a decent grasp of how the loot system works.

I understand with the loot not mattering later, but you always get that buyers remorse feeling and what to pick something optimal. And I still don't know how to equip the shotgun. I think I've hit every button combo there is. I went into the inventory screen and it told me about holding Y, but I saw no mention of how to equip the shotgun.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Basically there are three weapon types: Normal, Special, and Heavy. Rifles and Handcannons are Normal, Snipers and Shotguns are Special, and LMG/Rockets are Heavy. Hold Y to equip Heavy, tap to swap between Normal/Special. In-game, Normal ammo is white, Special is green, and Heavy is purple. Heavy ammo drops near control points in Crucible on a timer, you spawn with none (and limited Special Ammo). Heavy spawns randomly in 'story' mode.
    Green (uncommon) weapons and armor can be upgraded by using them and then selecting Y/Triangle over their icon. I have greens is every slot except Gauntlets now, each one providing some kind of buff and multiple mods. I can't wait to see some of the later, rare guns. I am sure the upgrades on those will be nuts.
    September needs to get here fast.

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Having had the opportunity to play the X1 version as well now that the beta went open, even in the 900p beta mode I honestly can't tell a difference. I'm on a 65" Samsung plasma, and they look identical playing from the couch. So I'm a lot less concerned about graphical differences in the retail version.

I prefer the controller and the interconnected features of the X1 (can get invites while watching TV, wife can just tell the console to switch over if she's sick of me playing, etc) so at this point the main selling point, for me at least, on the PS4 version would be the extra content and the number of people playing. I'm sure the content will get released as a DLC at some point.

As a quick survey, is ANYONE in this thread on the X1 version come launch? I know the clan listing for us on Bungie has the PS4 roster at 7 pages or so and the X1 roster at 2 or less. The beta seems super busy on the X1, but it just came out there so its not a good indicator.

Raynaga on
  • AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Man, this game is pretty cool.

Achire on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So, the beta on the 360 ends when the first moon mission becomes available, this true across the board on all consoles?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Don't forget to be on at 2pm PST tomorrow to help them test their server capacities and such

We are supposed to get something special AND "PERMANENT."

Maybe a weapon?

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    Don't forget to be on at 2pm PST tomorrow to help them test their server capacities and such

We are supposed to get something special AND "PERMANENT."

Maybe a weapon?

Apparently it's going to be an emblem.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'll probably getting this digitally day 1 on X1

• LouieLouie Registered User regular

I have mentioned this before but it's probably been lost in the flood of posts. You can get a pike (shooty bike) in explore mode by hanging out in the coastal boat area. A gang of bikers will appear and you can kill them and take their pikes.

Another random event is in the area where hive and fallen are fighting. An emote will say "the enemies move against each other" and they will start an all out war. Useful if you have the bounty for hive majors or ultras!

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
    Sometimes I wish I could swap out my heavy weapon for a second special. I want a sniper and fusion rifle equipped!

Think I'll side with the FWC. Like their colors. That and in the grim darkness of the future there is only

WAR!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHZUmYu7Uo

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Did anyone else get that random mission from the Dead Orbit guy where he talks all slow and menacing and then rushes the last sentence? I wish I could remember what he said but my god it was hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.