As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Problem With Binge Watching *insert show here*

xaldin87xaldin87 GaymerSaTxRegistered User regular
So I recently started watching Death Note, took long enough but I swear I have legit excuses, and I have just been absorbing all of it. I even used the last of my data plan for the month to watch a few episodes on my phone during my breaks at work yesterday. I work 10 hours days in a call center and usually come home after to let the dog out, play games for an hour, wash up, and then go to bed in enough time to get decent sleep.

I specifically told myself... ONLY TWO EPISODES last might and two turned into three which turned into four and at the end of the fourth episode I was on my couch yelling at the TV because I had to go to bed and the cliff hanger was just killing me.

I laid in bed talking to my dog about how I needed to know what happens next and I couldnt wait, and of course my dog was just giving me that "my owner is crazy" look.

My boyfriend was out at the movies with his mom so I had to talk to someone :-p

But in all seriousness though, I can not believe how much I become dependant on things like this. When Attack on Titan came out I was upset that I couldnt binge due to the fact that I was watching it during the actual run.

When I got into Doctor Who, I finished all of the new show within a month or two and would go to school looking for any sign that someone nerby was a whovian just so I could rant about *insert character death here*. I went to my night class after watching "Vincent and the Doctor" with tears streaming down my face and this girl in that class who was a Whovian looked at me and said, "Was it Doomsday or Vincent in the Doctor?"

Gaming is really my thing, It is what I do. I do not really watch TV or movies (as much as I used to at least), but when I find a show I like I fall hard for it. For example I need the new season of American Horror Story more than I need air right now.

What shows do yall typically get this way over? Do you have people in your life that you can kill a few hours at a coffee shop/ bar with and have philisophical discussion over *insert character, show, or episode here* with? How do you channel that anxiety over needing to watch the next episode or cope with having to wait over a year for the next season *cough* Sherlock *cough*?

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I normally watch anime with my wife. We have some friends from college and another set of friends she met through her cosplay group that hook us up with recommendations and we watch them and discuss them when we're doing our table gaming or playing games on Live or whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I got into a serious, "we might beak up over this" level fight over how many episodes of Orphan Black we should watch a night.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I watched all of Red Dwarf in about 1 week one time.

I started talking in the Lister's accent sometimes for a week or so.

• Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I got into a serious, "we might beak up over this" level fight over how many episodes of Orphan Black we should watch a night.

I actually got "the look" this morning from my boy friend because I had ZERO idea he wanted to watch Death Note and I told him how I want the work day to go by lightning fast so that I can see what happens next and I knew I messed up by watching it without him. But I think I made up for it by saying that I refuse to start Kill La Kill without him.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ... anime thread...?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    ... anime thread...?

Well Tv in general. I did mention Doctor Who and American Horror Story. Just currently im going crazy over Death Note

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the wire got to me this way

I came to it late, so it was already finished by the time I started watching it. I borrowed the S1 DVD from a buddy thinking 'spose I'll see what all the fuss is about.' I started watching it on a bored saturday evening, and all of a sudden it was like 2am and I really wanted to watch the season finale.

I'm like an evangelist for it now; it's fun to talk to people about

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I was watching Portlandia and saw the binge watching sketch for Battlestar Galactica and found it to be a genius representation of binge watching now that services like Netflix make it such an easy thing to do. I have never seen Battlestar and thought I owed it to myself to give it a go.

I had that show running on every device I had in every room of my apartment... until I made it halfway through the series and the filler episodes came in fast and hard. Characters and plot lines that held no significance and had zero cause came out of nowhere and totally killed the show for me. I stopped watching it since.

A buddy of mine keeps telling me to just push through those few more episodes and the show picks up the pacing again but the idea of another episode of Starbuck being uber depressed and Leo being a total jerk is keeping me away :-/

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Welcome to our Forums, please read our Rules Thread.

Also, we have a generic tv show thread where things like binge watching are discussed. Finally, we have a Rule against anime.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.