As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 5 out now!

15678911»

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    all in all i really like this, from beginning to end. one thing that i didn't like in episode five was
    i felt like the mary fight was not very good.

I thought it felt surprisingly weak too

2x39jD4.jpg
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think it definitely could have been done better, especially given the way other scenes in the series had been handled
    It wasn't the best usage of Bigby turning into the Big Bad Wolf, either

THat shit needs to feel more like an Apocalypse rather than Bigby rising to meet the challenge of something else

The way Mary went about dying actually made Mary seem more bad-ass than Bigby

dN0T6ur.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Two of those little notifications I got a kick out of (MAJOR spoilers)
    "Vivian will remember that."
    Head comes off

"Georgie will take that to his grave."
    Gut-murdered

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    -Tal wrote: »
    You know I though it was odd that the little mermaid was one of the poorer fables but then I realized this is set in the mid 80's, before her disney movie came out

Well (comic lore spoilers, if you care. minor character minor spoiler, as well)
    Popularity of your character only seems to translate into longevity, or at least of what I've read.

You can be a complete unknown and still poor. Or hugely wealthy.

How many people know who Bluebeard is?

Dude still has loads of money.

The only character magically wealthy is Briar Rose from Sleeping Beauty, who is blessed with perpetual wealth from a fairy godmother on her birth.

Cilla Black on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    You know I though it was odd that the little mermaid was one of the poorer fables but then I realized this is set in the mid 80's, before her disney movie came out

huh
    beauty and the beast fit this too, although they try to maintain the pretense of money

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    With the release of Episode 5, I decided to sit down and play this game in its entirety.

BRB ordering all trades of Fables off of Amazon.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I actually read the comics up to the point when that particular bombshell was dropped for no real reason and found it jarring and hamhanded. But I think they're worth reading. They're pretty cool and the art is nice.

I also have some difficulty with author's portrayal of the ladies in the comics, too, though that's pretty dumb for me to say considering I really like the game and 75% of the women in the games were prostitutes.

To be honest,

All 5 episodes, in multiple places, went painstakingly out of their way in hugely deliberate fashions to give virtually, if not literally, every female character agency.

Particularly the prostitutes.

If there are games out there with better and more consistent renditions of women side characters controlling their own lives, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I thought the ending of the trial was particularly important there
    Like one of the Crooked Man's biggest sins was literally taking away the prostitute's voices to represent themselves, and then being ignored and crimes discussed right in front of them, because it's not like they can blow the whistle anyway.

So it's really important when Nerissa comes in and finally gets to tell the guy to go fuck himself, and even fibbing a bit to make sure he gets nailed to the wall, when it was really starting to look like otherwise Fabletown wouldn't be able to agree on what to do.

And it's also why the game ends with you talking with Nerissa, and her actually explaining how it was her that got all of this started, and about how she feels about all of it. Because until now she hadn't been able to. And similarly that now she's wearing just sort of "normal" boring clothes, Nerissa is taking control of her wardrobe and her body back.

Because in the end it was Nerissa who blew this whole thing open, not the Rugged Male Authority Figure rescuing the females from the clutches of a different Evil Male Authority Figure. Nerissa - and the rest of the girls - were victims but not without agency. And that's the difference between WAU and a lot of those other noir mysteries and crime dramas where every woman is a prostitute, the women of WAU are not defined by their victimhood.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Anyway you might want to try out the first couple of chapters of Fables before you go all-in on them

I know there's a fair share of people who really dig them here

But honestly I thought it ranged from kinda OK to downright bad

And I only read the first like, 30-ish chapters or so before I dropped it? Everyone seems to agree that it only gets worse over time.

Specifically if you enjoyed the character interactions in Wolf Among Us then, well, you're probably going to be let down by Fables.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I just finished episode 5.
    I felt like such a douche sending Toad and TJ to the Farm.

Ending thoughts:

I choked on my decision of what to do with Crooked Man. I was honestly giving some thought to imprisoning him, being as the only reason I killed the others was because they posed an immediate threat to the well being of myself, or others. I felt trepidation about throwing the dude down the well based on rumor and hearsay.

Then the fucker tried to drag me over to the well and take me down with him. That made my decision to rip his head off infinitely easier to justify to myself.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Ending thoughts:

I choked on my decision of what to do with Crooked Man. I was honestly giving some thought to imprisoning him, being as the only reason I killed the others was because they posed an immediate threat to the well being of myself, or others. I felt trepidation about throwing the dude down the well based on rumor and hearsay.

Then the fucker tried to drag me over to the well and take me down with him. That made my decision to rip his head off infinitely easier to justify to myself.

You gave him exactly what he wanted.

6F32U1X.png
    On the contrary: I think he wanted to get off scot free.

Besideswhich, the look on his face didn't give me any indication that he wanted quite that degree of treatment.

edited July 2014

Besideswhich, the look on his face didn't give me any indication that he wanted quite that degree of treatment.
    And failing that, he wanted The Big Bad Wolf to be brutal to him in order to show Fabletown the Sheriff is to be feared, not trusted or confided in

That he's not there to keep you safe, he's there only to punish you

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

And failing that, he wanted The Big Bad Wolf to be brutal to him in order to show Fabletown the Sheriff is to be feared, not trusted or confided in

The notification if you tear his head off?

Fabletown is afraid of the big bad wolf.

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited July 2014

tumblr_mrfjxg6wBx1s3g3ago1_400.gif

Hacksaw on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

The notification if you tear his head off?

Fabletown is afraid of the big bad wolf.

they should be

liEt3nH.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I just played episode 3-5 in one sitting

very, very enjoyable experience

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I was wondering how it would play as one long thing

Maybe my only major complaint about this is that it really suffered as episodic

The only ways detective stories work episodically is if the episodes are on a close, tight schedule or each episode being standalone

Wolf Among Us did neither

6F32U1X.png
    Man that's why you wait and then sit down and play it all at once.

Discipline, yo.

I too did episodes 3-5 in one go.

Ending:
    The ending was essentially the same as in The Walking Dead - the villain trying to pass judgement on your the way you behaved throughout the game. Fortunately I was a model citizen and everyone sided with me, no problem.

The game stuck super hard to its noir roots, which was very satisfying. I kind of hope they do a sequel, or if not, another noir story from a different source. It was a great fit for the medium.

... I think I'll probably do another run as a bad wolf, now.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Everyone who
    didn't send green leaf to the 13th floor is a scrub.

The entire reason that glamours are expensive is that there are only so many witches. Having another one in the 13th floor is a bonus.

Blake T on
    Blake T wrote: »
    Everyone who

The entire reason that glamours are expensive is that there are only so many witches. Having another one in the 13th floor is a bonus.
    except for the fact that she is under no obligation to provide lower prices there, since she joins the people with a monopoly on the glamour business with no competition allowing them to set whatever prices they wish

liEt3nH.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Everyone who

except for the fact that she is under no obligation to provide lower prices there, since she joins the people with a monopoly on the glamour business with no competition allowing them to set whatever prices they wish
    presumably Snow White will be able to negotiate to lower the prices, at least by however much green leaf can increase the supply

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    wrong thread!

AtomicTofu on
    Everyone who

presumably Snow White will be able to negotiate to lower the prices, at least by however much green leaf can increase the supply
    i mean if you trust BURN THE TREE dictator snow white, miss "COME ON IN BLUEBEARD NEVER MIND THE LINE" that's your call

liEt3nH.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I was so mad at her at the end for that Bluebeard thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

In fairness to Snow
    It's King Cole who makes the call about who gets to speak to him first

She's Cole's gofer during the day

dN0T6ur.png
    Isn't King Cole away from Fabletown during the events of the game?

With KC it's hard to tell

dN0T6ur.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I would be incredibly excited for a new season only if Telltale went off into their own canon.

Thanks to Mother Goose' Rock and Rhyme my mental image of King Cole is Little Richard in a powdered wig.

I've never read Fables.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Minor spoiler
    I was really hoping to be able to give at least some of the massive rolls of money I kept picking up to Toad so he and little TJ didn't have to go off to the farm

Minor spoiler
    I was really hoping to be able to give at least some of the massive rolls of money I kept picking up to Toad so he and little TJ didn't have to go off to the farm
    That's exactly what I did

They got sent away anyway

6F32U1X.png
    Minor spoiler
    That's exactly what I did

They got sent away anyway
    God dammit, Snow White.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    And the fight
    I didn't know anything about the source material so thought I'd already seen Bigby as Wolf as he was going to be, so when he went more Wolf I was absolutely surprised and delighted.

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I couldn't find another thread on the subject so I just wanted to say, I played the game entirely from start to finish. I picked it up a few months ago and just sat on it for the longest time.

... I'm kind of angry with myself for doing that. I can't honestly think of a game that engrossed me and kept me glued this year like this one did. It was amazing from start to finish. It also made me start trying to catch up on the comics/trades (which may have some issues but overall I've really been enjoying them).

I will say the way Bigby's drawn in the game is my go-to look for him personally.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Oh yeah he looks way better in the game than in the comic. Comic Bigby is kinda schlubby-looking

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Wrong thread

Bigity on