As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cornfields are awesome until you floop the pig

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Will probably wait for a second edition then, especially with the fully co-op bits for Descent on the horizon (and the fan made stuff).

I think what I actually want is Shadows of Brimstone, but that's a very long way off.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Shut Up & Sit Down Review: Lords of Vegas

And the intro is fantastic.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Depending on the price point for the copy, buying Myth could still be a good idea. You get a ton of good models and components, and I'm confident there'll be a good ruleset someday.

::may have stockholm syndrome::

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Depending on the price point for the copy, buying Myth could still be a good idea. You get a ton of good models and components, and I'm confident there'll be a good ruleset someday.

::may have stockholm syndrome::

Even with a good ruleset, they still aren't fixing the misprinted stuff which there's a lot of. Unless you're ok with referring to an errata sheet for every card during play; some people have no problem doing that.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Shut Up & Sit Down Review: Lords of Vegas

And the intro is fantastic.

I've been debating on getting it for ages (due to the designers), but this finally pushed me over.

If just so I can actually get a copy before it gets Pear'd.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Is that the SU&SD version of a website getting wang'd?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Is that the SU&SD version of a website getting wang'd?

Its when a game sells out after being reviewed by SU&SD, yeah.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Coincidentally, Myth wave 2 should be shipping out before GenCon. I only just noticed I could have gotten a refund if I wanted, but I guess I'm going to be an idiot and gamble on trying to sell the buttload of extra stuff that I got with it instead ...

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Did I mention I played the first case in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective? It was really cool--and yes, some of those articles you don't even think are relevant turn out to be clues--but I think the overall game aspect of it (where you try to get the solutions in the fewest possible leads) basically encourages you to see as little of the game material as you can, which seems kinda counter-intuitive.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Did I mention I played the first case in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective? It was really cool--and yes, some of those articles you don't even think are relevant turn out to be clues--but I think the overall game aspect of it (where you try to get the solutions in the fewest possible leads) basically encourages you to see as little of the game material as you can, which seems kinda counter-intuitive.

I think that is certainly true. It is also very difficult to beat Sherlocks score. For that reason, I think it's best to decide up front whether you want to attempt to beat Sherlock, and play as efficiently as possible, or play to solve the mystery as best you can, by chasing down all of the alibis and suspects.

We usually play for the latter. A lot of the cases are tricky enough to even solve correctly, let alone beat his score, so there is still plenty of challenge. It also works better if you're playing with others and take turns picking the next lead to follow, avoids frustrations about wasted turns if you're not trying to beat his score.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh my lord.

I just found a long standing group who meet weekly about 15 minutes away from me who describe themselves as playing:
    Mainstays are things like Necromunda, Mordheim and Bloodbowl, and we've recently got into Dreadball. We also have other games going or about to be going, like Bolt Action, Deadzone, Valhalla and Warhammer Quest, and we have a few people that will also play 40K, Flames of War or WH Ancients. We also play board and card games.

I'm almost scared to try and go along lest the reality not live up to the amazing fantasy perfect group they seem to be. Can't check them out for a few weeks as I'm an amateur dramatics widow looking after the kids every evening for a while. But soon....

Eeeeee!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Just picked up Spartacus at the B&N clearance sale. Any tips for introducing it to a group?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm wondering if this thread is a good place to talk about "homebrewed" games. I'm currently working on a 2-player card game, but i don't know if this is a good place to talk about it.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hey guys, I'm wondering if this thread is a good place to talk about "homebrewed" games. I'm currently working on a 2-player card game, but i don't know if this is a good place to talk about it.

Someone recently started a Board Game design thread here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/190424/

As long as you aren't linking Kickstarters or anything, that would be an appropriate place to go.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I think someone made a specific Board Game Design thread that you may get more response out of.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ah, i didn't see it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, cheers.

• Options
    Got my wife to play C&C: Ancients today after we had played a couple rounds of Battle Line, and she actually really enjoyed it! Was not expecting that at all. But yay!

But that also means I need the expansions..and of course half of them are out of print. Blaaah.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Just picked up Spartacus at the B&N clearance sale. Any tips for introducing it to a group?

Do you guys like politicking and back-stabbing each other like giant dicks? THIS GAME HAS IT!

Do you guys like simultaneous bidding auction mechanics? THIS GAME HAS IT!

Do you like rolling lots of dice and killing mans? THIS GAME HAS IT!

... Or do you mean like, actually how to introduce them to the game? It's really not a very complicated game mechanically so it's best to walk them through an example turn: You start by refreshing all your dudes, then you have the intrigue phase where blah blah blah, etc.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Got my wife to play C&C: Ancients today after we had played a couple rounds of Battle Line, and she actually really enjoyed it! Was not expecting that at all. But yay!

But that also means I need the expansions..and of course half of them are out of print. Blaaah.

GMT recently put out an email saying that apparently their games have been in crazy demand and selling out all over so they are shifting focus on getting reprints and stuff out, so, I guess keep an eye on their site and their P500 stuff. Good luck!

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Played Kemet again, this time 3 player, and it's still great. It's even smoother now I've blown past the various translation issues and vague wording in the rule book. Highly recommended. I especially like the highly euro-ised path to victory. You know, that whole "opportunity is always there, and everyone playing half well should be in with a chance".

But it's a good idea to be ready and willing to explain all the upgrade tiles to anyone who's interested during the flow of the game. Things can slow down in the first game while everyone is rooting around those upgrade tiles. Everything else is lightning fast.

Also, the turn order mechanic is a drop of understated genius that doesn't get enough credit in the game's great big ocean of wonderful design. I just want to go and have a bit of a talk about this mechanic.
    So every tur, the player with the fewest VPs decides the whole turn order (ties are broken by the earlier player in previous turn order). This is a wonderfully subtle catch-up mechanic. The lagging player can decide who gets the strongest positions in Kemet's turn order: first can beat anyone to the upgrade tile they want, and the last player will have the all-important chance to move after everyone else has committed and overextended.

The mechanic creates an interesting kind of strategy I've never seen before: that of managing your victory point total. Let me explain: last game I was in a position to make 0, 1 or 2 victory points by the end of my turn. In any other game* the answer would be a no-brainer: take the 2. But there was a complication. If I took 2 or even 1 victory points I would no longer be choosing turn order. And I REALLY wanted turn order because there was a particular upgrade tile I absolutely wanted before it disappeared next turn. If I surrendered turn order now I'd have some extra VPs, but lose the chance to complete a lovely combination of upgrade tiles I'd been planning for two turns.

But if I didn't take those 2 VPs...

In the end I took the VPs. It was probably the right choice. But interesting point: next turn someone else took that upgrade tile, I lost my turn order control, and we were all locked at 6 VPs with no daylight between us. I'd lost one of the game's most powerful tools - the ability to gradually pick the upgrade tiles you want, and then transition to a quick alpha strike out of nowhere in the late game when you change to last in the turn order - and I didn't have a lot to show for it. It was a fascinating little tactical decision I've never seen before in any other game. The closest analogue I can think of is the TI3 strategy card mechanic.

*Excepting tables with brutal metas of whack the leader and piss in their cornflakes.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Played my first two games of Takenoko yesturday. Such a fun little game. Best part is making sounds when the panda eats stuff :smile:

• Options
    Anyone here heard of the board game Siam?

I got my hands on it and i cannot recommend it enough. It's a tiny little game, just a 5x5 grid, 5 rhinos, 5 elephants, 3 mountains. The goal is to push 1 mountain out of the board.

it's simple, it's deep, it's fun, it's quick to play... I'm just not sure if it's well-known. i had never heard of it before, but i'm not deep in the board game community yet, only owning, well, Settlers of Catan and a couple other games.

if you want a cool 2-player game with a lot of planning in each move, try Siam. it's pretty great. :)

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

I got my hands on it and i cannot recommend it enough. It's a tiny little game, just a 5x5 grid, 5 rhinos, 5 elephants, 3 mountains. The goal is to push 1 mountain out of the board.

it's simple, it's deep, it's fun, it's quick to play... I'm just not sure if it's well-known. i had never heard of it before, but i'm not deep in the board game community yet, only owning, well, Settlers of Catan and a couple other games.

if you want a cool 2-player game with a lot of planning in each move, try Siam. it's pretty great. :)

Given how into game design you are I can't urge you enough to get deeper into board gaming - as Quinns from SU&SD has said (IIRC), a board game has a much better chance of being what the designer envisioned, since it isn't limited by what the programmers etc. can do in limited time - it's just pure game design. Also, infinitely cheaper to produce, so more risk taking.

Haven't tried Siam, but I recognize the name. And have vague ideas it's a well-respected classic?

jakobagger on
  • Options
    jakobagger wrote: »

Given how into game design you are I can't urge you enough to get deeper into board gaming - as Quinns from SU&SD has said (IIRC), a board game has a much better chance of being what the designer envisioned, since it isn't limited by what the programmers etc. can do in limited time - it's just pure game design. Also, infinitely cheaper to produce, so more risk taking.

Haven't tried Siam, but I recognize the name. And have vague ideas it's a wee-respected classic?

I really really really like board games, but i don't have a group, which is the one thing that prevents me from really going in the hobby. i end up playing a game of Catan with my family about once a month or so, though.

As for Siam, It's not that old, I believe. Copyright says 2005 on my box.

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    I received my copy of Android the other day, unpacked it, punched out the gazillion cardboard tokens and tried to wrap my head around the rules. This game is such a glorious mess. So convoluted. So ambitious. So unwieldy. There's a reasonable chance I will be the only one enjoying this game on Friday, but I don't care.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

Haven't tried Siam, but I recognize the name. And have vague ideas it's a wee-respected classic?

I really really really like board games, but i don't have a group, which is the one thing that prevents me from really going in the hobby. i end up playing a game of Catan with my family about once a month or so, though.

As for Siam, It's not that old, I believe. Copyright says 2005 on my box.

Ah, that sucks.

Have you tried any of Boite a Jeaux and yucata.de? I play a lot on both sites, under this very user name. They both have a lot of great to decent games.

2005 is totally old enough to be a classic.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Can any of you kind folks help me spend my money? Our family plays a crap ton of board games. Generally it's my wife, son (9) and niece (14) with the occasional extra kid or college buddy stopping by. Recently I got a $25 amazon card and figured the best way to spend it would be more games of course (but I'll have to spend at least enough to get free shipping so that's not my limit).

Off hand some of what we have and play a lot are:
    Ticket to Ride
    Catan
    Dixit/Apples to Apples/Wits and Wagers
    Fluxx/Playtest (& either)
    Forbidden Island/Desert
    Qwirkle
    Skipbo/Ratuki/Uno/Cribbage
    Bananagrams/Scrabble/Word Up
    Monopoly/Life
    We also just have the Penny Arcade card game, Munchkin, Tenzi and Dicecapades (on clearance) but haven't played them yet.
    I was thinking about Pandemic, King of Tokyo, Tsuro, Takenoko or Small World or maybe Carcassonne. Gloom also came up as an option as card games are nice since you can throw them into a bag quickly. Any dice/card games that can be used as amazon padding are super welcome as ideas too!

• Options
    Cheap & fun card game: Love Letter

Maybe see if you can find a copy of Click Clack Lumberjack? Maybe Bohnanza? Never played Bohnanza with a 9yr old though. And I personally like Flashpoint over Pandemic, and it has a nice family variant difficulty level.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    King of Tokyo is a solid gold recommendation.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    For a lighter family game for a family like yours, I can't recommend Bohnanza enough. It's a card game about bean farming, of all things, but has been a huge hit at every family gathering or couples' night we go to.

The central conceit is that you can only have two varities of beans planted at once, but you can't rearrange the order of cards in your hand, so the only way to get rid of unwanted cards is to trade them to other players, which leads to very motivated sellers and (often) mildly disinterested buyers.

It plays from 2-7 people, and I've been able to introduce it to 8-year-old non-gamers without too much trouble.

I'm also a huge fan of Pandemic and Tsuro. Tsuro is especially nice as a game that can be played by up to 8 people and lasts less than 20 minutes, which is a rare pairing.

• Options
    Love Letter and Bohnanza look like great order filler. He's 9 but we haven't thrown anything at him he couldn't handle so the only real family friendly aspect needed is that we can't justify Cards Against Humanity at this point.

Flashpoint is one I hadn't heard of though - that looks fun and co-op is always a nice change.

Right now I'm leaning King of Toyko plus a card game to get over the free ship point. My only concern is we seem to be building up a lot of games that have fairly long game times...

• Options
    Love Letter and Bohnanza look like great order filler. He's 9 but we haven't thrown anything at him he couldn't handle so the only real family friendly aspect needed is that we can't justify Cards Against Humanity at this point.

Flashpoint is one I hadn't heard of though - that looks fun and co-op is always a nice change.

Right now I'm leaning King of Toyko plus a card game to get over the free ship point. My only concern is we seem to be building up a lot of games that have fairly long game times...

Love Letter is quick, Bohnanza can vary based on how into it you get.

• Options
    Tsuro is a game I've had in my hands many times at the store and almost pulled the trigger on. I like that the rules seem simple so it'd be a good one when we have company and don't want to try to teach them one of the bigger games.

As a side note since the thread title reminded me of this. We bought the Adventure Time starter pack and unless my son and wife lost it when they opened it, I can't find where there is any list of which cards are Finn's and which are Jake's...is there a list somewhere? Are they standard sizes so maybe I could sleeve them color coded or something once I figured it out?

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Galaxy Trucker question: It looks fun, I'm thinking about getting it, but I'm debating whether to get the standard game or the big anniversary box. How necessary are the expansions, does the standard game stand alone pretty well? I watched the SU&SD Galaxy Trucker video on the big box, but they didn't say what was an expansion or not.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Galaxy Trucker question: It looks fun, I'm thinking about getting it, but I'm debating whether to get the standard game or the big anniversary box. How necessary are the expansions, does the standard game stand alone pretty well? I watched the SU&SD Galaxy Trucker video on the big box, but they didn't say what was an expansion or not.

The Anniversary Edition includes both expansions (The Big Expansion and Another Big Expansion - yes, those are the names). I have the base game, and I'd suggest if you can find the Anniversary Edition for a good price, just grab it instead.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

I'm in the same boat. I spoke to a guy at my local FLGS who LOVES Galaxy trucker and said the base set is more than enough unless you plan on playing A LOT. Anniversary goes for like 90$ish dollars here in canada (online, cheapest price I've seen). I can get the base set for half of that. Buying all expansinve though is more expansive.

I guess if your group is the kind to play a LOT and often, the expansion might be worth it. To me, I don'T think it would be required so I think I'll save some $$$ and go with the base set when I'm ready to buy unless I stumble into crasy great deal on the anniversary edition.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Small World is nice, basically Risk with more variety. I'd go for Small World Underground though, a little more meat on the bone. 7 Wonders is also a great quick game for up to 7 people (8 with one of the expansions), with playtime of 30-40 minutes irregardless of player count because everybody plays at the same time. Lords of Waterdeep (and expansions) is a good intro to worker placement games and plays in about a hour, maybe a hour and a half. If you have some fans of the Marvel Universe I find Legendary a lot of fun. Combined with one of the apps that let you randomize the Heroes/Villain/Masterminds and some of the expansions and there is a TON of replayability there.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Guibs wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. I spoke to a guy at my local FLGS who LOVES Galaxy trucker and said the base set is more than enough unless you plan on playing A LOT. Anniversary goes for like 90$ish dollars here in canada (online, cheapest price I've seen). I can get the base set for half of that. Buying all expansinve though is more expansive.

I guess if your group is the kind to play a LOT and often, the expansion might be worth it. To me, I don'T think it would be required so I think I'll save some $$$ and go with the base set when I'm ready to buy unless I stumble into crasy great deal on the anniversary edition.

I feel like if there's any doubt in your mind at ALL then the Anniversary edition isn't worth it. I'd rather buy the base and then be pleasantly surprised to find that I need to slowly buy the expansions than buy Anniversary and not get my money's worth. Sure, I might pay more money in the end, but every step of the way I'll know it was worth it.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Guibs wrote: »

I feel like if there's any doubt in your mind at ALL then the Anniversary edition isn't worth it. I'd rather buy the base and then be pleasantly surprised to find that I need to slowly buy the expansions than buy Anniversary and not get my money's worth. Sure, I might pay more money in the end, but every step of the way I'll know it was worth it.

What this guy said. The base game is great alone and Galaxy Trucker is a strange enough game that it probably isn't for everyone- spend $30 first and then if you just love it you can buy the expansions.