As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD HAS BEEN KRISPIED!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in Games and Technology
fUj130Y.png
(Liberally borrowing the best of our old OP and the beauty of SE++)
THIS IS FOR: PC, Mac, iPad, and eventually Android and iPhone!

We like playing with each other sometimes: Add your Bnet Battletag here.

Vent and Teamspeak for discussing games!
Tournament Bracket

Naxxarams pricing/cards/basic info:

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Curse_of_Naxxramas

Most agreed upon order for crafting Legendary cards:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearthstone-general/card-discussion/5258-legendary-tier-crafting-guide

The game has FOUR play modes:
  • Constructed - Build a 30-card deck and fight people in ranked or unranked matches. Ranked has recently been majorly revamped.
  • Practice - Build a 30-card deck and fight really bad AI opponents to learn the INS AND OUTS of the game nothing.
  • Adventure - Play against AI opponents in themed events. Often features challenges using custom decks. Usually results in free cards.
  • Arena - Pay 150g, then pick a hero from a random selection of 3 heroes and draft a deck from a random pool of cards presented to you three at a time. Then battle other people who went through the same process to receive treasures!

Hearthstone revolves around two heroes summoning minions in a goal to bring the enemy hero to zero life. Think of it as a simpler version of Magic that favors quicker matches, and you're on the right track.

Here are class intros and pretty pictures:
hqFmg0H.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 1 Armor and +1 Attack this turn.
Style: Can accelerate with mana-boosting cards like Innervate. Many cards have two options, allowing for flexibility. Enjoys a good buff.
Weaknesses: Flexible cards tend to be overpriced. Weaker early game without acceleration. Lacks direct removal.
Rphexwt.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to opposing hero.
Style: Utilizes minions to rush down opponent. Great synergy with beast minions. Cheap removal.
Weaknesses: Removal tends to be random targets or secrets that can be played around. Beasts are typically mediocre without hunter synergies. Hero power has no effect on the board.
cYEGts4.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 1 damage to any character.
Style: Lots of direct damage spells, and spells in general. Very control-oriented, using freeze and removal to keep enemies at bay. Polymorph is one of the best removal spells. Strong AoE damage. Strong finisher via Pyroblast.
Weaknesses: Only has a handful of solid minions. Incredibly vulnerable without any spells. Can be hamstrung if opponent heals enough.
6gzI2hs.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit minion.
Style: Enjoys buffing minions and debuffing enemies. Great for weenie decks, but enjoys a slower, somewhat control-oriented game. Solid weapons, and lots of card draw.
Weaknesses: Has poor direct removal. Card draw is good, but either situational (Divine Favor) or expensive (Lay on Hands).
rUGXRhZ.jpg
Hero Power: Restores 2 HP to a character.
Style: Control-oriented. Loves to buff minions, particularly HP. Steals opponents' crap, potentially resulting in massive card advantage. Lots of direct removal.
Weaknesses: Weak in the early game. Direct removal is conditional or expensive. People will think you're a jerk.
ti4QiKo.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/2 weapon.
Unique Mechanic: Combo. Cards have an additional effect if you've already played a card earlier in the turn.
Style: Tends to go for rush-down. Lots of direct damage and weapons. Combo allows for cheap, powerful effects.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable late-game. Combo can lead to unfavorable opening hands. AoE spells tend to be poor.
CeahrWo.jpg
Hero Power: Summons one of the following totems at random: Stoneclaw (0/2 Taunt), Healing (0/2, restores 1 HP to all friendly minions at end of turn), Searing Totem (1/1), Wrath of Air (0/2, +1 Spell Damage)
Unique Mechanic: Overload. You will be unable to spend X mana on your next turn. Think Echo from Magic and you're on the right track.
Style: Has a lot of play styles, being able to sling spells, use weapons, and solid minions. Overload allows for very efficient turns. Hex is among the best direct removal.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable on turns AFTER overload. Hero power is random, which will burn you.
ac4sbkL.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 2 Armor.
Style: Incredibly aggressive, favoring a lot of cheap enrage minions, charge, and great weapons.
Weaknesses: Worst Hero Power in the game. Removal tends to be random or conditional (Execute, Brawl). Damage spells, particularly AoE, are poor. Takes a ton of damage from weapon use.
ptwglff.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to your hero. Draw a card.
Style: Can go for an aggressive early game with very cheap demons. Hero Power is among the best in the game. Good synergy with demons.
Weaknesses: Powerful cards tend to have bad drawbacks. Removal tends to be weak (Mortal Coil) or carry big drawbacks (Soulfire). Hero Power can hurt your late game.
Current Meta
The current kings of constructed are still control decks and their variants. Druids are probably the most common class at the top of the ladder with good removal and finishing combos in their class specific kit. On the other side of the coin, Murloc Warlock is as popular as it has been for 3 months and new Warrior/Hunter aggro decks are flooding the lower ranks with legendary viable budget decks. Every class (arguably except mage) is viable at a legend level, but matchups are pretty lopsided. Priests perform very well against control Paladins, Druids, Warlocks, and Warriors but really struggle with aggro decks. Shaman is seeing increased play as a midrange anti-aggro class; The Black Knight has dropped in usage and their taunts are becoming formidable again. Rogues are playing everything from aggro to board control to hard control with Headcrack and spell power. For more information, make a post! Many of us are willing to share our feelings on the best way each class can find success.

Grobian's list of less intuitive facts:
  • Max handsize is 10 cards. Any card over that is drawn then immediately destroyed.
  • You can't have more than 7 minions on the board.
  • If you draw from an empty deck, each "card" you draw instead damages you, beginning at 1 damage and increasing by 1 damage each draw.
  • If multiple things happen at the same time (e.g. trigger at the end of the turn) they happen in the order their respective cards have been played.
  • There are hidden quests/achievements that award gold, notably: 100g for beating all Expert AIs, 100g for playing every class to level 10 and 300g for 100 wins total.
  • The Shaman hero power always calls one of the 4 totems that isn't out yet. If you get a totem bounced to your hand, you can play a second one, though.
  • The hunter spell Animal Companion just calls a random of the 3 possible minions.
  • The Warlock spell Sense Demons gives you 1/1 imps for 1 mana if you don't have (any more) demons in your deck.
  • Stealth overrides Taunt, not the other way around.
  • Stealth is only for the enemy, you can buff your stealthed minions.
  • Priest: Shadowform refreshes your hero power, so you can use it twice in a turn.
  • Druid: Wild Growth at 10 mana crystals awards you a spell "Excess Mana" which draws a card for 0.
  • More comprehensive list of oddities here
Hearthstone strategy and resource links
Easy intro to Hearthstone in an image.
Full daily quest list here.
TeamLiquid's new Hearthstone siteLiquidHearth
TeamLiquid's Hearthstone Article Portal, a collection of all articles they've done. A good place to start.
HearthHead - Best Arena draft practice, decklists, deck builder, card db
Hearthpwn - Practice Arena drafts, decklists, deck builder, card db. Same stuff different layout.
Chrome Hearthstone Card mouseover extension - Easily find out what all those cards people are talking about do without leaving the thread!
Trump's Neutral Common guide for Arena

Here's a cheat-sheet for all the Secrets in the game:

http://i.imgur.com/gBpK4Yz.jpg

Here's a deck-tracking google spreadsheet made by our own Muffintron:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a7ucOq8Jv3Ooes694eXxIOdX-zsCuFA_PeSyuVZsUvA/edit?usp=sharing

From Muffintron:

I've got it set-up so that I have a folder for each of the classes, and a spreadsheet for each deck, then I use individual sheets within that spreadsheet to keep track of the deck changes over time.

Just go File -> Make a copy to get a copy on to your google drive.

To use: put in the cards for the deck: Quantity, Mana cost, Name, Type (Spell, Weapon or Minion) and Rarity (Soulbound, Common, Rare, Epic, Legendary and Naxxramas).

The sheet should take care of the rest.

Decent streamers/youtube clips to watch, to learn!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    fg5fhvoyrd66.png

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    (From last thread)
    MMMig wrote: »
    I still haven't decided if I'm going to use gold or $ for the wings

I have 4K gold so I'm not really dying there, but $25 really very reasonable compared to how much I play this damn game.
    That 4K gold could go towards a lot of packs to get the handful of cards / dust I need.

What are y'all going with?

If you aren't against spending the money, which is actually only $20 if you get the first wing while it's free, then go that route. Buying that many packs will greatly boost your dust, which will greatly increase you chance of crafting those infuriating legendaries. You do want to create rage, yes?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Can I just say I love those thread bookend cards? Because I do.

Regarding the question on the table, I am buying 3 wings with gold, and one wing with cash to show my support for the game. Otherwise I am going the complete F2P route.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Can I just say I love those thread bookend cards? Because I do.

Regarding the question on the table, I am buying 3 wings with gold, and one wing with cash to show my support for the game. Otherwise I am going the complete F2P route.

Yes, yes you may. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @MNC Dover‌ can I make a couple of suggestions for the original post?

Could we put this Secrets cheat-sheet in there (shamelessly stolen from Reddit): http://i.imgur.com/gBpK4Yz.jpg

Also for the streamers can we change it to the following so that we have both youtube and twitch links where possible.

My internet seems to hate twitch so I tend to watch stuff after the fact on youtube.

Edit: While I'm at it, I might as well add Kolento in there.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    From the other thread:
    wonderpug wrote: »

But after playing the first wing, I dunno, I guess I was hoping for a bit more out of Naxx. The bosses seem well done, but it would be nice to have more minor challenges in between. Or more puzzly matches like the class challenges.

So I'm torn. The lighter amount of content makes a gold purchase make more sense, but if I think I'm ever going to spend ~$20 to get some more packs, now's the time I'll get more for my money.

@wonderpug

I don't know, $20 seems alright for 5-10 hours of playtime and ~5 packs of cards (the reward cards)

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    I've been playing an obnoxious gimmick Priest, so all the Zoo doesn't bother me. I can be beat with a really good draw from them, but if I pull off a Wild Pyromancer + PW: Shield, he just gives them the dick every single turn while I draw approx. 1 million cards. I don't even need to hit them in the face since they'll be Lifetapping like crazy to keep up, then I finish the job with Velen/Mindblast.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Really, who's going to leave a 0/1 creature without Stealth on the field for 100 pages

Always clear the board, people!

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    This weekend I was messing around with the naxx cards, just playing for some amusement, when I hit rank2 with 5 stars. I thought, what the hell, I should get to legend again since I'm so close.

Put my tryhard sunglasses on B)

Nope. Didn't gain a single star after that, and tumbled down to rank3 after like twenty games. What a troll game.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm, Wednesday at midnight? I guess they are throwing the wings out as they make them.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I just got the mac client (normally play on iPad) and it runs like shit and I can't alt tab. How disappointing.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I just got the mac client (normally play on iPad) and it runs like shit and I can't alt tab. How disappointing.

What Mac are you using? I have an older MacBook Air and it runs fine for me with medium graphics. Looks like you're right about not being able to alt-tab, though. Never realized that was disabled.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Welcome to hell.

It wasn't that bad before, but it's been having framerate drops for me since Naxx.

Edit:

What Mac are you using? I have an older MacBook Air and it runs fine for me with medium graphics. Looks like you're right about not being able to alt-tab, though. Never realized that was disabled.

I never realised there was a graphics option. I've upped it to high and everything is running smooth as silk now.

Might also help when I don't have half a tonne of Adobe programs open at the same time.

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    yeah you have to play in windowed mode on mac, and it crashes 4/5 of the time when you shutdown

and even if your window is minimized in windowed mode you still get the UI noise if you mouse over where the window would have been

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You get the noise in the PC version too if it makes anyone feel better about the Mac version.

• Options
    So I've not done this before but I'm curious to see what you guys think of my ramp druid deck. It's a tonne of fun, but I'm always keen to make improvements. I've recently powered to Rank 10 with it, my previous best before about 2 days ago was 15!

I find I rarely get good value with the Faceless Manipulator, but at the same time, when I do, he wins me games. I have a similar opinion of Alexstraza. I feel like they are my two prime candidates for replacement but keen to hear your thoughts.
    2dbl43l.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Nobody expects the Super Questing Adventurer.

He may be slower than Van Cleef, but when he works... boy does he work.

MassiveQA.jpg

Also, Naxxadin shenanigans from yesterday. Deck has changed a lot since then though:
    NaxxadinShenanigans1.jpg

NaxxadinShenanigans2.jpg

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    A Blood Knight in a zoo deck? Is that normal?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options

No, it was in casual, you tend to see all sorts of weird shit being tried out there.

I was slightly concerned when he put down the Argent Squire thinking I wasn't going to get the pyro + equality full clear (I can deal with a 2/1 damaged golem, but a 1/1 and a 2/1 means he could potentially mortal coil one of my Nerubians the following turn), but when he dropped the Blood Knight I cackled with glee.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Yes, that's fine when you are expecting to face a lot of other zoos.

And anyone who queues is going to face a zoo because that's what everyone is playing, so it's smart.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    So I've not done this before but I'm curious to see what you guys think of my ramp druid deck. It's a tonne of fun, but I'm always keen to make improvements. I've recently powered to Rank 10 with it, my previous best before about 2 days ago was 15!

I find I rarely get good value with the Faceless Manipulator, but at the same time, when I do, he wins me games. I have a similar opinion of Alexstraza. I feel like they are my two prime candidates for replacement but keen to hear your thoughts.
    2dbl43l.png

Why run Mark of Nature over Mark of the Wild?

I don't know a lot about Ramp Druids (lacking the cards to make a good one), but maybe you could try some Ancients of War, though I do think it looks very solid overall. (And Ancients of War may prove to be a liability with the silences running around.)

Do you not have a Rag, or do you choose not to run him?

sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't have a Rag. As for MoN over MotW, that's a good question. MoN just seems more powerful to me and the lower cost doesn't generally come into play as ideally I'm gonna want that mana early on to get my golems and yeti out.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

And anyone who queues is going to face a zoo because that's what everyone is playing, so it's smart.

It's specifically Trump's Divine Zoo anti-Zoo deck that runs 1-2 Blood Knights. Although, I'd argue it's less effective nowadays because people don't really run Scarlet Crusader or Argent Commander any more in Zoo.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Where did we hear the wens night release? Seems odd they would do it that way.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    azith28 wrote: »

Directly from Ben Brode's twitter:

I don't have a Rag. As for MoN over MotW, that's a good question. MoN just seems more powerful to me and the lower cost doesn't generally come into play as ideally I'm gonna want that mana early on to get my golems and yeti out.

Mark of the Wild is better because the Black Knight/Mark of the Wild combo only comes to 8 mana rather than 9. That means you can do it earlier, or potentially combo it with Hero Power/Wrath/Wild Growth.

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    So that means Tuesday night at midnight?

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Like, 12:01 am Wednesday morning, the middle of the night between Tuesday and Wednesday, probably pacific time.

• Options
    That was then, but this is now now. We passed then.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Directly from Ben Brode's twitter:

Mark of the Wild is better because the Black Knight/Mark of the Wild combo only comes to 8 mana rather than 9. That means you can do it earlier, or potentially combo it with Hero Power/Wrath/Wild Growth.

Interesting. Thanks!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    That was then, but this is now now. We passed then.

When?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    5n10SBE.png

So apparently Soul of the Forest does stack, and each minion produces 2 treants when it dies. Which is pretty boner inducing when you have savage roar ready.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Man, Equality should cost twice what it does right now. It should actually take the slight majority of your resources to clear the entire enemy board, rather than just casually doing it for 4 mana.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Man, Equality should cost twice what it does right now. It should actually take the slight majority of your resources to clear the entire enemy board, rather than just casually doing it for 4 mana.

I'm alright with it costing what it does. It effects the paladin's minions as well, and the most common combo of Equality + Wild Pyro results in all minions dying, not just yours.

Seems pretty fair to me.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options

It doesn't just clear the enemy board, it clears the entire board, 4 mana for that seems fine to me.

Besides, Paladin doesn't have that much in the way of lethal combos, just let them have this one.

No Force of Nature Savage Roar, no Shadowstep Shadowstep Leeroy.

Plus, if you make Equality cost more than 2 mana, the Equality/Consecrate combo becomes prohibitively expensive. At the moment paying 6 mana with 2 cards instead of the 7 for 1 card Flamestrike as a potential board clear is about right.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    9k2pev0rngez.png

Arcane Druid ò_ó
    I just need Malygos to complete the deck now. Will prob swap Ysera out for him.
    Also should I keep the Ironbeak Owl or the 2 silences provided by the Keepers of the Grove are enough?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I used to run 1x Blood Knight in my zoo and felt that it was very strong... if you're running 2x squire and 2x scarlet crusader blood knight is strong even if the opponent has 0x divine shield, and if blood knight can strip 1 divine shield from an opponent creature you win the game.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

disagree, because paladins should have a good card

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

If there was a neutral minion that was immune to non-targeted spells and abilities, that would fix my issue with it. But it's super good, and very hard to play around, unlike Flamestrike, which is at least predictable.

• Options

If there was a neutral minion that was immune to non-targeted spells and abilities, that would fix my issue with it. But it's super good, and very hard to play around, unlike Flamestrike, which is at least predictable.

Paladin has no direct removal, so Equality has to do double duty.

• Options
    So here's my very early stages work in progress Naxxadin

• 2 x Blessing of Might
    • 1 x Elven Archer
    • 2 x Equality
    • 1 x Holy Light
    • 1 x Bloodmage Thalnos
    • 2 x Knife Juggler
    • 2 x Nerubian egg
    • 2 x Wild Pyromancer
    • 1 x Acolyte of Pain
    • 1 x Aldor Peacekeeper
    • 1 x Big Game Hunter
    • 2 x Truesilver Champion
    • 2 x Consecration
    • 2 x Hammer of Wrath
    • 2 x Defender of Argus
    • 2 x Azure Drake
    • 1 x Stampeding Kodo
    • 1 x Avenging Wrath
    • 1 x Cairne Bloodhoof
    • 1 x Lay on Hands

Changes I'm going to make:

More or less definite:
    Holy Light for Lay on Hands. Lay on Hands either never makes it in to my hand, or never gets played. Plus you're going to need cheap early healing considering the slow start.
    Unstable Ghouls for the Knife Jugglers (another way of setting off the Nerubian egg bombs combined with equality, plus more taunts to help reduce early damage)
    A second Acolyte of Pain instead of the Elven Archer.

Still considering:
    If I had Tirion, he might make it in instead of Cairne.
    Guardian of Kings for a Hammer of Wrath.

This discussion has been closed.