As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Chicken Wings

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Chicken Wings

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    VanDerSparVanDerSpar Registered User regular
    Aww... Broken file

• Options
    CoaxnpsCoaxnps Registered User regular
    Just what I away wanted!

• Options
    KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    I know, I'm sorry... >__<

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my server...hopefully it'll be up soon, if not I'll have to get help with it in the morning. :[

• Options
    VanDerSparVanDerSpar Registered User regular
    It's up, it's lovely

• Options
    BrewtiConBrewtiCon Registered User regular
    Ha. Look out below. I like the view from the cliff and the last panel. Very awesome.

Take a look at my pins
  • Options
    CoaxnpsCoaxnps Registered User regular
    Kate you are the best, I love your work.

• Options
    currypcurryp Registered User regular
    So we won't see 17 anymore... lol Malachi need some slaps

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Brian would straight up murder Malachi if Malachi allowed Seventeen to go through with it.

• Options
    K^2K^2 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure this is revenge for all of the Tuesday's complaints that the cat was too easy.

• Options
    DakaranDakaran Registered User regular
    Geesh, that was a tough cat. I was just about to post for help, when I found it on my last (7th?) look through. I love the drawn out story arcs, but it's also great to have some randomly hilarious one-offs. Great stuff!

• Options
    NFETNFET Registered User new member
    I give up, where's the cat?

• Options
    commonpersoncommonperson Registered User regular
    Good golly, can't find the cat anywhere! Any tips?

• Options
    Zorlock DarksoulZorlock Darksoul Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hint for the cat:
    Malachi's looking at it.

Zorlock Darksoul on
  • Options
    DanTheMeekDanTheMeek Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    First time posting, want to start by saying Katie has quickly become both my favorite artist and among my favorite authors, every comic is both a work of art and extremely smartly written. Absolutely LOVE this series.

Next, its nice to see, after several hear warming episodes Malachi's "terrible friend" persona return. Malachi is a horrible human being, and while he's shown that he does have a heart recently, being a monster is not something you easily shake, and nor should he, as that's part of who he is and it leads to plenty of punch lines, its just a careful balance for Katie that she doesn't over do it as its very easy to make a character like his so unlikable that the comic goes from "Oh Malachi, there you go again" funny to "Man this is just painful to read, Malachi needs to get hit by a meteor and make the world a better place" not funny. Katie has done a terrific job of walking that line and has my confidence that she can continue to write a character like this and make him funny.

Finally, in regards to the cats location, and hopefully I'm using the tags right:
    Check panel 4 for the cat. Hint, he's not at the bottom or at the very top

DanTheMeek on
  • Options
    CupidCupid Registered User regular
    Malachi you coward.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Just an earthbound misfit, I

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    osaryesosaryes Registered User regular
    I got that reference. Cool song.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what the hell is the garbage bin lid for?

Damn cat was tough this time.

• Options
    DasilodaviDasilodavi Registered User regular
    @osaryes The lid has two purposes.

1) It serves as a helmet. It's what he uses as Bear armor here:
    http://campcomic.com/comic/bunk

2) It's right there in the second panel. He's going to fly, "And LOOK GOOD doing it."

• Options
    AMILLIONBUTTSAMILLIONBUTTS Registered User new member
    Gotta say I'm consistently shocked by the vitriol for Malachi shown in these comments over and over. This comic is as much an examination of abandonment psychology as anything and each of the three main characters has their own coping mechanism for the situation they find themselves in. Brian withdraws into a private inner space and seems capable of genuine violence as a means to protect himself and what he cares about. Seventeen has arrested her development in an infantile, naive mindset to keep the harah reality of her life at a distance. Malachi lacks Brians' strength and Seventeens' innocence and capacity for denial and so must resort to cowardice and selfishness as a means to keep himself out of danger. No one else is looking out for him, so he looks out for himself, at the expense of others if necessary. Brian is willing to hurt people physically and Seventeen uses her childish demeanor to get others to protect her, is Malachi really that much worse? Is it possible that his actions are those of a terrified, recently abandoned and utterly alone child and not those of an uncaring monster?

Just a thought.

• Options
    pilfropilfro Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who think Katie would be willing to go GOT on her characters?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    @Amillionbutts Totally agree. Every character has faults but I don't at all find Malachi to be malicious or monstrous, just a scared kid who doesn't have the courage or coping mechanisms of the others. (So much unintentional alliteration! :P)

• Options
    strangeangel24601strangeangel24601 Registered User regular
    Well, at least you're half right in panel 2, Malachai. That is one snazzy outfit.

• Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    Well, at least you're half right in panel 2, Malachai. That is one snazzy outfit.

It'd be more accurate if we replace fly with die. Your going to die Malachi, and look good doing it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dark JaguarDark Jaguar Registered User regular
    Can't really get mad at a child for being a coward. He's a kid. Kids are naturally selfish, so blaming a kid for what happens to other kids is just avoiding the one basic reality here: They need an adult!

• Options
    MortirothMortiroth Registered User regular
    Malachi's cowardice is hilarious XD

I had so many friends like him as a kid...which...maybe looking back, wasn't such a great thing! XD

g9yqgramfjj6.jpg

The Misadventures of a very Metal Kitty!
  • Options
    ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    As others have said, Malachi doesn't really strike me as actually evil, just a brat who doesn't have the guidance he needs to stop being a brat. He probably never had that great an upbringing to begin with: given that he was fairly recently /abandoned in the woods/ it seems like a reasonable assumption that his family was not all that devoted to him in the first place.
    Random theory: what if his mom died? None of his other relatives wanted him, so he got sent here. Maybe writing letters is just how he tries to stay connected to her, or maybe he's still in the denial phase, or perhaps he doesn't even know: it happened fast and nobody bothered filling him in.

• Options
    motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    She should be fine. Girls' bones are hollow, so they require a lot less lift in order to fly.

• Options
    hajenhajen Registered User regular
    what a fine friend Mal is; so self-sacrificing is he, allowing his bestest friend the honor of first flight. the last panel makes quite evident how torn up he is about strengthening their friendship; he practically has a false smile of encouragement stamped on his face as he allows 17 to take his well-deserved glory.
    I say we should all strive to be as Malachi.
    perilous perspective placates purr pouncing perusers

• Options
    ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    I just hope that doesn't go the way of the kid that fell off the zip line

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Hahahaha Malachi is such a meanie! Great comic though, after the fairly intense arc it's nice to just laugh like a mental for a bit,

Also why do I get the feeling (unless of course this is a oneshot) that Brian is going to swoop in and stop all this before it reaches it's inevitable wile e coyote style end?

Also, that was a clever little kittie! Still found it though.

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Perhaps the cat will pound on Seventeen, pushing her on to convenient ledge, thus preventing her from plummeting to her death?

Nah, I'm sure Katie has something much cooler planned.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2014
    I can't stand Malachi, but that may be because he bears not insignificant resemblance to my own preteen years.

I mean, that's harsh. I guess it's not that I can't stand him so much as that his more selfish moments make me wish I'D been better.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    periazhadperiazhad Registered User regular
    I expect her to have a totally awesome flight, but upon landing the wings are destroyed and Malachi can't have an awesome flight. That's what he gets for being afraid. And picking the biggest cliff ever to test them on.

• Options
    PotoointensifiesPotoointensifies Registered User new member
    Malachi is if anything one of the most spot-on representations of a pre-teen of indeterminate age (Eight, nine, something?) and all the tangled webs of cowardice and narcissism spruced up with the bonds of friendship therein.

• Options
    tinwatchmantinwatchman Registered User regular
    ... hey, Malachi? There's a reason real engineers try things out in wind tunnels first... or, failing that, maybe a tree?

• Options
    ryuuseiproryuuseipro Registered User regular
    I *never* thought of Malachi as evil, either. Misguided, yes.

• Options
    diggZdiggZ Registered User regular
    You are so amazing at this! You should become ultra famous so your presence can be ubiquitous in my life!!! Do it, pall!!!!

• Options
    WaxxyOneWaxxyOne Registered User regular
    The real question is who's gonna save that poor kitty...

• Options
    MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    I... I... can never see the kitties. All I ever see are. . .are. . . lady parts. why?!!!!

• Options
    commonpersoncommonperson Registered User regular
    Thanks for the hints folks, I found the kitty. MAN that was a hard one, after the conversation with the wife this morning about how my box of video games was not where I left it (when in fact it was) I'm starting to have concerns about my powers of observation. :-P