As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EA Access announced. XBO exclusive.

AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/29/ea-announces-subscription-service-on-xbox-one-ea-access?abthid=53d7d3116415330f4400000c
Today, EA revealed EA Access, an Xbox One-exclusive subscription service that grants players access to EA's so-called Vault.

Subscribing to EA Access will cost $4.99 a month (or $30 a year), and since the program is technically in beta, only four games will initially be available: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4, "with more titles being added soon."

Developing

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    What the fuck is this shit?

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I wonder if EA is trying to help the XB1 in China.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Depending on the amount of games they offer, this could easily be worth it.

• Options
    Awesome is what it sounds like.
    Additionally, EA Access will also net subscribers 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content, which includes full games and DLC, as well as access to trials of new EA games nearly a week before they come out (with saves that copy over to the final game, should you choose to purchase it later). Games that will be eligible for early access and save copy-over are Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Memberships can be purchased on Xbox Live, and will also be available at retail stores like GameStop and online destinations like Amazon. The subscription service will launch "soon," according to EA, and will be available in North America and Europe

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Sounds like an Xbox exclusive EA version of PSNow. Only with a standard sub fee and no pants on head stupid rental pricing.

Could be cool.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sounds interesting.

But I would need EA to expand the lineup a bit.

• Options
    Is it a stream service or just "Games with Gold with EA"? :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    Awesome is what it sounds like.
    Additionally, EA Access will also net subscribers 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content, which includes full games and DLC, as well as access to trials of new EA games nearly a week before they come out (with saves that copy over to the final game, should you choose to purchase it later). Games that will be eligible for early access and save copy-over are Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Memberships can be purchased on Xbox Live, and will also be available at retail stores like GameStop and online destinations like Amazon. The subscription service will launch "soon," according to EA, and will be available in North America and Europe

Ok, yeah...

I would subscribe to this in an instant if it was available on PS4.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    Wait, so for $5 a month I can get 10% off games like Dragon Age and access to other games for free? Sounds pretty good to me so far.

• Options
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Wait, so for $5 a month I can get 10% off games like Dragon Age and access to other games for free? Sounds pretty good to me so far.

Also early access demos of games with saves that carry over into the full version.

Honestly, this sounds like a very cool idea from EA. Slightly baffled by the XBO exclusivity thing, though. Titanfall was understandable since the new consoles had not released yet, but now they're actively ignoring that slight edge in popularity the PS4 has.

Either Microsoft wrote a super huuuuuge check, or maybe Sony wouldn't play ball.

• Options
    Azure deal and/or they are trying to help their fellow americans.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2014
    You have to assume that TitanFall will be added to this service sooner rather than later...

People are going to sign up in droves just to play the Dragon Age demo a week early.

Allforce on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    EA and MS have been buddy buddy ever since the X1 was announced so I can't say I'm too surprised.

I'm pretty sure there are money hats going around.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Perhaps Microsoft was easier to deal with/offered a more attractive deal, being in second place they'd have to do something to appeal to the EA.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    But hell. 30 dollars a year is a good deal. I mean I'm sure most of the free games will be a year old but 30 bucks is pretty much how much I would spend to buy one or two of them anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    It's five dollars a month, thirty would be ridiculous.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    More information: http://www.ea.com/news/ea-announces-ea-access-on-xbox-one
    EA Access is a totally new way for you to play more of the games you love, for less. Here’s a rundown of the additional benefits EA Access members will get:

Awesome Value– Besides the great games in The Vault, EA Access members will save 10% on purchases of EA digital content for Xbox One offered through the Xbox Games Store. From full digital-download titles like the upcoming Dragon Age™ Inquisition or NHL®15, to additional membership services such as Battlefield 4 Premium or even FIFA Ultimate Team points, it’s all 10% off for members.*

Play First – Membership in EA Access lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date.* It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Preacher wrote: »

From the previous link:
    You can join EA Access for just $4.99 per month, or you can purchase an annual membership for $29.99 per year on Xbox LIVE®.

EDIT: Oops!

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah that was a typo.

I meant 30 bucks a year. I corrected it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Man really tempted, I wouldn't mind playing Bf4 for some time while I wait for destiny to drop.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sounds like you're not even tied to a commitment, so if you just wanted to play BF4 or Madden for a month, it's 4.99 and then you can cancel.

Solid pricing.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So wildly not worth it. There's no way I'd buy enough EA games to offset the monthly fee and I could care less about playing stuff a week early.

Hey, EA, if you want to give me a 10% dicount on your games then just discount your damn games 10%. I'm not jumping through hoops so you'll just give me some money back.

I predict people will rush this for DA:I and then it will tank and tank hard.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ??? Hoops? Pay $5, save $10? Where is the scam here?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So wildly not worth it. There's no way I'd buy enough EA games to offset the monthly fee and I could care less about playing stuff a week early.

Hey, EA, if you want to give me a 10% dicount on your games then just discount your damn games 10%. I'm not jumping through hoops so you'll just give me some money back.

Beta access to ME4.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

lets imagine a scenario where you are interested in most of EAs catalog:

• Options

More like pay $5 save $6 if its 10%.

• Options
    edited July 2014

lets imagine a scenario where you are interested in most of EAs catalog:

Yeah, I mean there are quite a few people I work with who swear by EA's catalog.

So I could see it working out decently for them if they advertise it well.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Season pass discounts, and other services I'm sure that are coming.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Curious to see where this goes, might just do it since I didn't bother buying FIFA or Madden, but I think this is last years Madden not the new one right?

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, all of the current offerings on the service are games that were released last year. I would not expect that EA plans to put brand new games on the service.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Well, Steam and GOG give me crazy discounts for free.

• Options
    Curious to see where this goes, might just do it since I didn't bother buying FIFA or Madden, but I think this is last years Madden not the new one right?

At this time yes, madden 25 is the last year version.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Meh. e: I should elaborate.

I think stuff like PS+ is awesome. It gives Sony a way to showcase or prop up games the audience often misses for one reason or another, and gives the creators another means of revenue/exposure after the game's time is 'done'. It's a clever way to feature someone's work in a fashion that benefits everyone.

This, however, I think is more likely to just undermine EA's own sales. Based on the lineup they're stating today, we can safely assume that some new EA games will be available on the service, and the biggest stuff will be available on it some time later. Also it's specifically their lineup, not the market in general, so I can look at their release schedule and conclude that a good chunk of it will be offered on EA Access at some point.

It looks like they're using this to get more people buying DLC. Not a bad thing by itself, but what happens if I buy Premium for Battlefield 4 while on this service? If I cancel EA Access, do I lose access to the game despite dropping $50 on content for it? If so, why would I put myself in that position? That's not comfortable, and there's a good chance I'd regret my purchases. Valve gave a talk about regret, and lots of detail on their free to play model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHC-uGDbu7s

They avoid this kind of weird middle ground between fully retail boxed copies and fully free to play by just making sure you never (or at least, as little as possible) feel spurned by your purchasing decisions, and making what you buy benefit everyone around you.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Somebody spilled more subscription in my barrel of subscriptions again!

Good deal if you like ea stuff, though.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Dusda wrote: »

I think stuff like PS+ is awesome. It gives Sony a way to showcase or prop up games the audience often misses for one reason or another, and gives the creators another means of revenue/exposure after the game's time is 'done'. It's a clever way to feature someone's work in a fashion that benefits everyone.

This, however, I think is more likely to just undermine EA's own sales. Based on the lineup they're stating today, we can safely assume that some new EA games will be available on the service, and the biggest stuff will be available on it some time later. Also it's specifically their lineup, not the market in general, so I can look at their release schedule and conclude that a good chunk of it will be offered on EA Access at some point.

It looks like they're using this to get more people buying DLC. Not a bad thing by itself, but what happens if I buy Premium for Battlefield 4 while on this service? If I cancel EA Access, do I lose access to the game despite dropping $50 on content for it? If so, why would I put myself in that position? That's not comfortable, and there's a good chance I'd regret my purchases. Valve gave a talk about regret, and lots of detail on their free to play model.

They avoid this kind of weird middle ground between fully retail boxed copies and fully free to play by just making sure you never (or at least, as little as possible) feel spurned by your purchasing decisions, and making what you buy benefit everyone around you.

But wait...don't you lose access to games you get free with PS+ if you end the subscription too?

So if you buy DLC for those games wouldn't you still lose that money if you ended your subscription unless you bought the game full out.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Update: An EA representative tells us that the company has no plans on removing games from The Vault, which means the library of titles available will grow over time. Additionally, if your membership lapses, your progress will be saved should you decide to re-up later

• Options
    What do they mean by "progress"?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    EA's version of PS+. I see this working out for them. Pretty cool deal actually.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »

But wait...don't you lose access to games you get free with PS+ if you end the subscription too?

So if you buy DLC for those games wouldn't you still lose that money if you ended your subscription unless you bought the game full out.
    I never buy DLC for PS+ games, and honestly I'd never really thought about that until now.

Other than that, I mentioned PS+ because it covers the entire Playstation ecosystem. There is always stuff on it I haven't heard of or would have otherwise ignored. With EA's offering, it's too narrow. A handful of their new stuff will be available on it, and (presumably) their heavy hitters with lots of DLC. I assume they're experimenting with this, seeing if subscribed access to BF4 leads to a significant conversion to Premium, but I doubt they're thinking too much about buyer's remorse. If they are they clearly aren't valuing it enough, given the way they've chosen to announce all this.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Coo', now I can play all those multiplayer games that got their servers shut off. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."