As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Sonork wrote: »
    So back on Mario Kart for the wii I really liked the flame Rider bike. It could handle anything in that game. But in mK8 the sports bikes seemingly cannot take some corners, like the zig/zag in Wario Race Track and a couple U turns on Dount Plains 3 and GBA Mario Circuit and the giant sharp turn at the end of the new Rainbow Road. Whenever I try these corners with the sports bikes I get a sharp turn followed by a wide turn resulting in going off the track/course. I've tried a couple different approaches to doing these corners on the sports bikes but all end up going way wide or i have to really really let off the gas and slow down to take it poorly.

How do you do these turns on the sports bike while maintaining speed?

Try different tires, maybe? I'm on a sports bike with rollers. I remember having trouble adjusting to sports bikes, but after a couple of cups on 150cc, I was fine.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    For that last turn on the new Rainbow Road, I start drifting right when passing the two coins at the start of the turn and hold hard left for the almost the whole turn. I end up near the grey outside part of the turn (sometimes I even end up on it), but I make it through without letting go of the gas.

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    I end up about the same on RR. How do you do the sharp turns on Donut Plains 3 or the U turn ramp on Mario Circut? These are easy on everything but he sports bikes.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm online if anyone wants to race. Don't know for how long.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Sent you a friend request.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    With the bikes try starting your drift earlier and adjust the angle mid-turn if you need to. The zig zag you mention in Wario Stadium really requires that. Donut Plains is possibly one of the trickier tracks with bikes from my experience. I've no problems on the GBA Mario Circuit or the final turn on Rainbow Road now though. On Rainbow Road just make it one really long sharp turn that starts fairly early. Its kind of hard to explain but once you find that "sweet spot" it gets you through a lot of turns that were once difficult.

Physi has some good advice with trying out different tires as well. I like the off road tires myself. The metal ones are good if a bit unwieldy at times. And while I never brake there are a handful of turns in which I let off the gas to adjust my speed slightly.

NNID: Rehab0
    edited July 2014

Sent you a friend request.

Hmm, I'm not seeing it for some reason. Let me try adding you.

EDIT - On nm there you are.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Also, practice in time trials. That is how I finally got good at a certain turn in Shy Guy Falls that was alluding me. I also discovered which bikes were my favorite then and that I prefer the Jet Bike to the Yoshi Bike which was previously my favorite. They have the same stats but I swear the Jet Bike just handles turns better somehow.

I will throw down tomorrow in the mid week tournament, but I might be starting about half an hour or so into it.

Some fun races tonight! Sorry I couldn't stay longer, I've got an early morning tomorrow. But it was fun!

Steam | Twitch
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    All the turns in the game are possible with the sports bikes. It just requires a lot of practice. I still have problems with the opening turns in Dry Dry Desert but everything else in the game is cake.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Someone post a video of a sports bike doing Donut Plains 3. I remain skeptical.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Sonork wrote: »
    Someone post a video of a sports bike doing Donut Plains 3. I remain skeptical.

If I am on your Wii U friend list you might be able to download my time trial of DP3.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Or there's this, which I just uploaded cuz I'm super nice like that. No control over the camera angles and such, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGuDWGFJPw

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Thanks, also I added you to friends Absolute.

Also added my NNID to my sig. Any PA'ers feel free to add me for online racings.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Next time we race, I'll switch Morton to Wario, to avoid confusions.

I don't mind. The different colored wheels was good enough for me to tell us apart in replays.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    Speaking of wheels, it took me until yesterday to notice that the tires in MK8 actually pick up dust from certain road surfaces (as well as a green cast from going over grass) that comes off if you go underwater. Seriously, the detail in this game.

valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well I missed the latest race but I had family over for the weekend, I'll be able to show up next week though. I'm really liking Daisy on the sports bike with the standard/off-road tires. It has some wasted acceleration which is unfortunate but I like the overall stats and I've been doing well with it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Found a use for one of my Mario visors:

tuPuppOl.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Playing randoms online is weird. Sometimes you get a ten second first place finish, and other times people hammer you incessantly and the group never breaks up until the final lap when someone manages to tear away into a decently solid lead.

The latter is probably just the matching system doing a good job of finding equally skilled people.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I still lack the hat from MK happy meals. Maybe I will request one.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      I don't mind. The different colored wheels was good enough for me to tell us apart in replays.

Yup, same for me, but I'll do it just to make the field more varied :#

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      rELXVyG.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      Ugh. Who counts in tens of thousands? Whatever happened to thousands or millions? [/physicist's rant]

More on topic: those look like great numbers to me, but I don't follow industry trends.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      physi_marc wrote: »
      Ugh. Who counts in tens of thousands? Whatever happened to thousands or millions? [/physicist's rant]

More on topic: those look like great numbers to me, but I don't follow industry trends.

Once the Wii U pushes out more units, then it'll go to recording in 100k units. ;)

I kid, I kid!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
      edited July 2014
      So by that, it looks like about 3 million units sold in, what, 2 months?

I remember someone posting a chart that showed sales of all Mario Kart games. I'd like to see how this compares to some of those.

Big Dookie on
      Steam | Twitch
    • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Yeah. Lowest selling Mario Kart game? That's cute.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      http://www.avclub.com/article/all-30-mario-kart-8-characters-reviewed-207500

AV Club reviews all 30 of Mario Kart 8's characters.
      About the only knock I can make on Mario is the way he shouts the name of the game when the title screen appears. Charles Martinet’s voice performance of the Nintendo mascot is fine for incidental yips and yaps, but beyond that it can get pretty patchy. Mario’s announcement of the title sounds like it came after he had been tortured for hours by Koopa Black Forces who demanded to know the name of the next Mario Kart game. As the electrified nipple clamps are applied one more time, Mario finally screeches, “Mario Kart… Eiiiiiight!”
      Rather than being an empty sad-sack, Luigi has become the personified answer to the question, “What if Mario were kind of an asshole?” And this is awesome. The new Luigi does not want your pity. He strikes you down with a red shell and then peers over his bulbous nose to watch you suffer. Now that he’s finally given up on the glory of being king, he’s realized that the role of rogue prince is more fun anyway. I mean, do you want to join Mario for tea and light sandwiches at Princess Peach’s place, or do you want to snort a couple lines with Luigi and spend a weekend trashing the Mushroom Kingdom? I hope Luigi’s acting-out phase never ends.

It just spirals out of control from there.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      He's not wrong about Rosalina.

Or Bowser for that matter. <3

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
      Ah, I see somebody beat me to it

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
      That was awesome.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      That was slightly disturbing...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      For him to imply that Donkey Kong is anything less than the greatest of the lot is absolute heresy. Eat a dick, AV Club!

But otherwise yeah that was pretty funny.

Steam | Twitch
      I've seen a lot of hate on the internet against the Koopalings. I personally love them, maybe because I grew up with SMB3 and thought they were really cool, iirc, they were in the SMB3 instruction booklet with a description and everything.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
      Right? I'm so happy the Koopalings are in. What we need less of is babies. Babies and metal copies.

And more Kamek and Fawful.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
      Steam: TimIsOnSteam
      Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
      Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
      PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      I think they said that they didn't want Mario Kart to become Smash Kart, but I'd be totally fine with replacing the babies and metals with other Nintendo franchise characters.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      I think they said that they didn't want Mario Kart to become Smash Kart, but I'd be totally fine with replacing the babies and metals with other Nintendo franchise characters.

F-Zero.

steam_sig.png
    • ConnConn Registered User regular
      Taramoor wrote: »
      http://www.avclub.com/article/all-30-mario-kart-8-characters-reviewed-207500

AV Club reviews all 30 of Mario Kart 8's characters.

Jesus Christ, the one for Pink Gold Peach.

It almost validates PGP being in the game.

Almost.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
      This AV Club article is a great read so far.

The opinions on the baby characters should be pretty amusing. I was skeptical about the metal characters going into the game initially myself but I really like them! That they have a certain creepy digital aspect to their voices adds a certain something that I didn't even know I wanted from a Mario Kart character. A sort of borg-like quality like they were meant to seek and destroy . . . with shells and banana peels.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
      Satsumomo wrote: »
      I've seen a lot of hate on the internet against the Koopalings. I personally love them, maybe because I grew up with SMB3 and thought they were really cool, iirc, they were in the SMB3 instruction booklet with a description and everything.

I think the issue is less with the design of the characters themselves and more that they constitute a large block of homogenous design. Much like the babies are five characters all best described as "Take template human character, reduce to age 2", the Koopalings are seven characters who all fall under the umbrella of "Bowser, but smaller", though they exhibit a lot more variance than the babies do.

Let's say you could trade the Koopalings for the following set of characters: Goomba, Kamek, (Big) Boo, Petey Piranha, Bowser Jr., Dry Bowser, and Birdo. Would you take that trade? Personally, I would. (Though I'd trade the babies for them first.)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    This discussion has been closed.