As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

1939495969799»

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Paco wrote: »
    Hey Steam Thread. I just recently got back into PC gaming after several years of not having a gaming machine, and I'm looking to find some friends to play with and game recommendations and all that. Currently I've got the Bioshock Trilogy and most of the Valve Games. Any other recommendations that will show off the power of my new machine? (i5, 16GB, SSD, R9 270X 4GB if that makes a difference). If anyone wants to friend me on Steam I'm pacothesage. Anyways, hello everyone.

The Witcher 2! It's quite possibly the best action RPG ever. IMO at least :)

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I think Yogs was also under some scrutiny for their partnership thing, where they sign up with a dev and then after they make a video about that dev's game, they get a cut of the game's profits—all the profits, not referral links or anything—for a short period of time afterward.
    Invisible wrote: »
    Was Hitman: Blood Money the good one that wasn't in the bundle yet or am I thinking of something else?

@Invisible, Blood Money is the good one, yes.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Well this was unexpected, a few weeks ago my Arkham Origins save messed up and poor Batman was doomed to an existence of falling through an infinite, black void. This vexed me, because I was pretty close to the end of the main story after like 23+ hours invested, and I really didn't want to redo the entire game. I tried various remedies from the internet and nothing worked, so I moved on and played a few other games. Today I went back, loaded it up for one last try to salvage it, and there was Batman, impatiently standing on a ledge waiting for me to issue beatdowns to thugs! Hooray!

I wish I knew what happened to fix it, but I'll take the result regardless. So now I've recently beaten Tomb Raider and Batman: Arkham Origins, both excellent games. Any suggestions for what to do next?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    Wizardy 8 finally finished.

The second half of the game was near unbearable. If there had been fast travel and some way to really speed up battles it wouldn't have been bad at all. Everything just took so long...ugh. I'm done with it now and glad to finally have it finished.

I'm tempted to jump into Skyrim now tho.
    @‌krummith

There is both fast travel and the ability to speed up battles but I agree it's still a slog. Especially if you don't know what you're doing when you make your party.

Fast travel
    there are mark and recall spells for iirc most spell casters. Both the Umpani and trang have teleport rooms. The umpani's teleporter only goes to one location but the trangs goes to at least 3 (I think 4). This lets you get to most locations in the game without walking much. Additionally the port locations are some of the more important.

So if you have one person who gets mark/recall then you stick it in the trang port room. If you have two you can use that for any other locations you need

Speeding up battles
    there is a combat speed slider that makes enemy movement faster. Some monsters do have super shitty slow animations though. On top of that stacking high level AOE from bards/gadgeterrs/casters takes care of the stuff and melee cuts through the rest especially if you have KO on you weapon.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I don't know why I am dling Firefall: How Can I Even Walk in These Boots?

My backlog will keep me warm for years. Why am I even toying with an MMO time sink? TOR hooked me for 8 months or so, and BL2 came out in that time frame.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    A giveaway approaches!

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Well this was unexpected, a few weeks ago my Arkham Origins save messed up and poor Batman was doomed to an existence of falling through an infinite, black void. This vexed me, because I was pretty close to the end of the main story after like 23+ hours invested, and I really didn't want to redo the entire game. I tried various remedies from the internet and nothing worked, so I moved on and played a few other games. Today I went back, loaded it up for one last try to salvage it, and there was Batman, impatiently standing on a ledge waiting for me to issue beatdowns to thugs! Hooray!

I wish I knew what happened to fix it, but I'll take the result regardless. So now I've recently beaten Tomb Raider and Batman: Arkham Origins, both excellent games. Any suggestions for what to do next?

Remember, you haven't really beaten a Batman game until you've gotten all the Riddler doodads and gotten all the medals in the challenge rooms!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well, I am starting to get sick, have a vacation planned at the end of this week, and now I own The Fall.

I am so weak in body and spirit.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Remember, you haven't really beaten a Batman game until you've gotten all the Riddler doodads and gotten all the medals in the challenge rooms!

I am fairly close to getting all the Riddler doodads in this one, but I doubt I will get all the medals in the challenge rooms. I've done a few challenge rooms and they really aren't all that interesting to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Vanilla skyrim

WHY??

Because I barely run it maxed now, mods would kill it entirely. (I'm still using workshop mods, just not Nexus)

Skyrim runs maxed on relatively old rigs - even my just retired 6-year-old toaster was capable of it. You shouldn't be "barely" with what you have. And not all mods hurt performance - many have no impact at all. The ones that would have the most effect are graphics mods (most of which are not that good anyway) or very script-heavy mods that are poorly optimized. Also stuff like body and clothing mods that are unnecessarily high-poly, badly optimized, or have ridiculously oversized textures (I can't count the number of times I've seen relatively simple outfit textures saved at 2048 or 4096(!) resolution, or saved in DXT5 format even though they don't require an alpha channel, or similar issues).

I actually have it running max but I have AA disabled. Which is hardly terrible but honestly, i'm a graphics mod guy, I don't get what other mods I should be downloading. SKYUI is nice but the vanilla setup is actually good enough for what it does. And I genuinely can't think of anything else that isn't on the workshop. Seriously, I have like 130 or so mods from the Workshop, this isn't vanilla in the traditional sense of the word, it's just vanilla in that I am not using Nexus.

@Big Classy
    I followed this guide and pretty much use most of the essential and some of the optional mods. I did use ENB as well, but disabled it as it took too much of a performance hit on my machine.

How much of a difference in performance was there just using the recommended and some of the optional mods? I've been thinking about... modding.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

The second half of the game was near unbearable. If there had been fast travel and some way to really speed up battles it wouldn't have been bad at all. Everything just took so long...ugh. I'm done with it now and glad to finally have it finished.

@‌krummith

There is both fast travel and the ability to speed up battles but I agree it's still a slog. Especially if you don't know what you're doing when you make your party.

Fast travel
    there are mark and recall spells for iirc most spell casters. Both the Umpani and trang have teleport rooms. The umpani's teleporter only goes to one location but the trangs goes to at least 3 (I think 4). This lets you get to most locations in the game without walking much. Additionally the port locations are some of the more important.

So if you have one person who gets mark/recall then you stick it in the trang port room. If you have two you can use that for any other locations you need

Speeding up battles
    there is a combat speed slider that makes enemy movement faster. Some monsters do have super shitty slow animations though. On top of that stacking high level AOE from bards/gadgeterrs/casters takes care of the stuff and melee cuts through the rest especially if you have KO on you weapon.
    There is also a mod to speed up enemies' movement, which I took advantage of. Sadly I didn't find the T'rang teleporter (and repaired it) until just before the end of the game. My party was too melee heavy I think. I only had one spellcaster that could cast portal and recall through most the game. You're completely right that a more AOE centric party would have been much smoother sailing. Unfortunately for me it was a one monster at a time thing, even with plenty of KO's and insta kills, it took quite a while. This was my first full play through with Wizardry 8, perhaps I'll try again with a big pile of spell slingers.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I agree with the former, but challenge areas of most video games can screw themselves.

Borderlands is fun. I will say nothing more about it.

Mainly so I can get back to shooting things in Borderlands.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh waht, firefall is available now? looks like I'm downloading that tonigh!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Is there some sort of reasonably simple to use Save Game "builder" for Mass Effect? I've never finished 3, and my xbox took a half decade of my Mass Effect saves with it when the hard drive shit the bed. I'm not going to replay them all, but is there some site that will just ask me about the big bullet points and make me a save to start up ME3 with?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Is there some sort of reasonably simple to use Save Game "builder" for Mass Effect? I've never finished 3, and my xbox took a half decade of my Mass Effect saves with it when the hard drive shit the bed. I'm not going to replay them all, but is there some site that will just ask me about the big bullet points and make me a save to start up ME3 with?

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mps.php

This site has gazillions of save files so you can likely find something that has your stuff. There is also a direct save editor on the site itself, at least for ME1, and googling around it looks like pretty much the entire scene is built off this guy's work. Not sure how easy it is to edit it.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mps.php

This site has gazillions of save files so you can likely find something that has your stuff. There is also a direct save editor on the site itself, at least for ME1, and googling around it looks like pretty much the entire scene is built off this guy's work. Not sure how easy it is to edit it.

This is the greatest thing. Thank you so much, dude. Kinda jazzed about having a chance to finally finish the trilogy.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Make sure you grab from the ME2 section rather than ME1 if you're looking to import to ME3, then follow the instructions there.

Come visit us in the Mass Effect thread when you need help/exultation/counseling!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I found the ME2 section, and the first paragon male shep save looks like it matches up with my choices almost exactly. Awesome!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I agree with the former, but challenge areas of most video games can screw themselves.

Maybe it's just me, but I keep having trouble with Borderlands 2. Not, like, technical trouble. I just feel like I don't...get...it. Which is weird, because I do enjoy some FPS-ing. But a lot of the time, the world of Pandora just leaves me cold. Maybe it's because the guns don't seem to have a lot of whoomph to them. Or that a lot of the time I just don't get the humour (is that a cultural thing?). I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing it, just very, very slowly. I'm hoping it's just because my comparatively low level Mechromancer just hasn't got enough skills yet to make the whole thing fit together*.

On the other hand, it's a lot less brown than BL1, and that's a help.

*disclaimer: I have been working on levelling my Mechromancer, my one and only Borderlands character, for 18 months. So far I am level...17.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Power Supply replacement arrives- doesn't power on. Power switch somehow became loose.
    - Computer powers on, stuff installed. Things working, played some Goat Simulator.
    - Reinstalling everything sucks especially since I spent time downloading stuff on my external and wanted to move it to my faster hard drive.
    - Hating blue LEDs.
    - Fuck up giveaway timer.

Let's celebrate.
    signature.png

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    repost before bed and new thread

signature.png

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Maybe it's just me, but I keep having trouble with Borderlands 2. Not, like, technical trouble. I just feel like I don't...get...it. Which is weird, because I do enjoy some FPS-ing. But a lot of the time, the world of Pandora just leaves me cold. Maybe it's because the guns don't seem to have a lot of whoomph to them. Or that a lot of the time I just don't get the humour (is that a cultural thing?). I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing it, just very, very slowly. I'm hoping it's just because my comparatively low level Mechromancer just hasn't got enough skills yet to make the whole thing fit together*.

*disclaimer: I have been working on levelling my Mechromancer, my one and only Borderlands character, for 18 months. So far I am level...17.

I don't "get" Borderlands either, but I also am not inclined towards shooters. My wife, on the other hand, is a shooter fiend. When she told me that the game felt lackluster and aimless I felt pretty validated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

@‌krummith

Fast travel

Speeding up battles
    There is also a mod to speed up enemies' movement, which I took advantage of. Sadly I didn't find the T'rang teleporter (and repaired it) until just before the end of the game. My party was too melee heavy I think. I only had one spellcaster that could cast portal and recall through most the game. You're completely right that a more AOE centric party would have been much smoother sailing. Unfortunately for me it was a one monster at a time thing, even with plenty of KO's and insta kills, it took quite a while. This was my first full play through with Wizardry 8, perhaps I'll try again with a big pile of spell slingers.

I wouldn't actually suggest a big party of spells slingers. My optimal party is 2x Mook Fighter, Gadgeteer, Bard, Bishop, Free. Bards are great early and OK late. Gadgets are weak early and amazing late. Bishops provide pretty much all the spell casting that the bard and gadget can't do.

The fighters have to be Mooks and have to be Fighters. Only Mooks get access to Giant Swords (good damage reach sword that has 35% KO on it) and fighters get bonus KO chance and Berzerk (knock someone out and you're doing 4x damage to them!).

Bards and Gadgets get late game AOE faster than spellcasters but never get penetration. So they falloff later so even if you don't do much with that level 7 nuclear blast you can cast every round bards will always have haste, heal all, and magic screen. Gadgeteers will end up with a much better selection of spells (armorate, superman, guardian angel, hypnotic lure, heal all, detect secrets, tsunami, and resurrection) but don't get access to anything good early. They are also almost better late archers than rangers. Almost more importantly you need one in order to make double and triple shot crossbows. Which are 100% necessary if you want you non-rangers to not totally suck at ranged (mainly because the extra attacks make training the ranged skill much faster).

The best fill characters are either monks (crit + decent damage), samurai (crit+ lots of attacks + giant sword capable if Mook+ muramasa), rangers (ranged crit + giant sword capable if Mook), or rogues (backstab does up to 4x damage so long as weapon is a thrust weapon, up to 8x vs KO'd opponent)

As an aside, strangely, the best rogues are probably fairies. And the best weapon option is rods. While a sword/dagger weilder can do slightly more they need sword and daggers and dual wield. Which is a lot of skill points. They only do much more damage if the light sword drops. Otherwise they have to use fang or bloodlust (best guaranteed 1 handed weapons for rogues) and thieves dagger(rod of sprites if fairy). But fairies get Rod or Sprites which are better than thieves daggers and not too much wore than fang/bloodlust (+50% hex). Most importantly two rod of sprites(12-36 total) is better than 2 thieves daggers(10-32), bloodlust alone (10-26), or fang alone(10-24) so if you are skill point constrained but not so much that you can't grab dual wield you're doing better than any other race could. Plus if you do happen to get the light sword you can still use it and if you do happen to get the cane of corpus you can just turn yourself into a ninja and enjoy that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

It's not just you.

BL2's loot drop tables are very MMO-ish - especially when playing solo (apparently there's a modifier applied during co-op), expect to see a sea of whites, the occasional green or blue as a quest reward, and forget about purples. You're expected to get those from the Gold Chest in Sanctuary, using SHIFT codes, rather than from random drops.

The story and character development, world design, etc etc are much improved over BL1... too bad the gameplay is so grindingly tedious to offset it.

(If you're curious, the Borderland thread goes into a lot more detail about all of the above.)

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I solo'd through the entirety of Borderlands, including the DLCs, over playthrough 1, 2, and 2.5 and loved it. I tried co-op a few times, but felt really "eh" about the whole multiplayer experience (which is the exact opposite of how I normally feel in games).

I started soloing Borderlands 2 and got to around level 13 or 14 and just lost interest.

Then I started a co-op game, and it suddenly "clicked". I loved it again.

So I guess my advice would be if you don't dig Borderlands 2 than try it with some friends and see if that helps.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    wow, the only game I don't own in the Square Enix humble bta (and $15 tier) is Deus Ex: The Fall, I guess that says a lot about me, it's a great bundle for anyone that doesn't already own most of it

I was thinking about streaming some pinball FX2 Saturday night but it turns out that's my 6th wedding anniversary so I may get into trouble for that, if anyone would be interested in watching Friday night around 9 PM UK time I should be good for it, I could start a little later if that's better for anyone wanting to watch. I'll probably attempt to beat my Sorcerers Lair high score and I may even use a mic to try explain what's going on if there's any interest? I know @jclast expressed interest before but probably can't watch the live stream so I would also need somebody (@DyasAlure comes to mind) to tell me how to archive the stream

I'll try my best to catch the stream, but I won't be able to stay too long as I do have work that night. I haven't given up on Sorceror's Lair, but I'll be damned if it isn't slow going trying to beat your new score. What are the top scores globally on that table, anyway, and how do I check them? I remember someone saying we had at least top 40 worldwide before, but I'm not even sure how to look that up.

@Kristmas Kthulhu I think we both used to have top 100 scores but I think you have to pretty much double my score to get in the top 100 now, it's certainly something to aim for

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    New Thread New Thread New Thread

This thread was our only hope.

No, there is another.

Shut 'er down, please @Echo or @Bobkins Flymo‌.

@Geth close the thread.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
This discussion has been closed.