As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Holy cow this 2K sale is the real deal

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    @Jazz - Aren't you in the UK? Do they still use miles in the UK? (Not Steam related but just matter of interest)

My obsessive watching of Top Gear tells me that the UK is sensible and measures things in miles, gallons, and pounds (for both weight and monetary value!).

This is both true and not, due to the desire for common weights and measures across the EU, and our own stubbornness.

For example, road signs are in miles. Speed limit signs are in miles. Speedometers are often dual kilometres/miles. You can get a miles-per-gallon stat for your car, but petrol is sold in litres. Weight is often in lb in small shops, but typically in grams in supermarkets. The £ was decimalised in the 70's, so fortunately there's only one measure of currency.

Thread related - BL2 when I get home, I think. I'll get it eventually!

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Oh hello again!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    This ends this evening!

signature.png

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    @Jazz - Aren't you in the UK? Do they still use miles in the UK? (Not Steam related but just matter of interest)

My obsessive watching of Top Gear tells me that the UK is sensible and measures things in miles, gallons, and pounds (for both weight and monetary value!).

This is both true and not, due to the desire for common weights and measures across the EU, and our own stubbornness.

For example, road signs are in miles. Speed limit signs are in miles. Speedometers are often dual kilometres/miles. You can get a miles-per-gallon stat for your car, but petrol is sold in litres. Weight is often in lb in small shops, but typically in grams in supermarkets. The £ was decimalised in the 70's, so fortunately there's only one measure of currency.

What does a decimalized pound mean? Wasn't it always 100 pence per pound so 1 pound 30 was 1.3 pounds? Or could 100 pence at some point be worth more than a pound?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Probably the last repost before this ends:
    signature.png

Now, to check out this Firefall thing.
    or be told at the last minute that i have to be at work in 20 minutes goddfuckingdamnit it's my morning off wtf

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Seems like we have a lot of folks playing Borderlands 2 these days, which is wonderful. @Commander Zoom‌ was talking about the piss-poor drop rate at the end of the last thread, which I 100% agree with. It's still the game's biggest failing that the game is so absurdly stingy with orange drops (maybe tied with with thinking that all anyone wants out of NG++ is raid bosses...)

He also mentioned the gold chest in Sanctuary mitigating that somewhat, which I also agree with. It's not uncommon to hit a bit of a grindy plateau with a character where your best weapons have been with you for a few levels and things are getting pretty spongy. Best thing for that? Cash in a key or five and get a couple of exciting purple weapons from the chest.

This page has a list of the non-expiring SHIFT codes. You can easily grab 100+ keys (plus a bunch of heads and skins) here to get you over any humps in a playthrough. Grabbing a new gun or two* goes a long way towards keeping things moving along.

EDIT: If you haven't signed up for SHIFT you'll need to do that. Then from the BL2 menu choose "Extras" and then "Shift code" to enter them. The field does take pasted codes but can be a bit finicky. If it won't take, make sure you don't have an extra space or tab at the front of your copied code.

The chest is kind of a troll sometimes. Be prepared to get class mods for a class you aren't playing and lots and lots of repeater pistols.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

What does a decimalized pound mean? Wasn't it always 100 pence per pound so 1 pound 30 was 1.3 pounds? Or could 100 pence at some point be worth more than a pound?

it used to be 240 pennies

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/moneyold.htm

I am not old enough to remember this

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Has anyone released a steamgifts 'enhanced' on the chrome store yet so I can actually functionally use Steamgifts again? Ever since Chrome disabled steamgifts enhanced its just a disaster.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    @SmokeStacks what motherboard are you trying to use the i3 with? there may be a bios update that can get the cpu working? I know I found a hacked bios that allowed my old mobo to run a phenom x4 that wasn't supported by the manufacturer

It's an Asus P8Q67-M DO/TPM. It's a nice board.

The CPU compatibility list shows the newest i3 that it supports as the 2130 though.

Yeah, Q67 boards did not support Ivy Bridge. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Reasons for not joining your parents on vacation:

Being in a car with my father who spent an amazing amount of time complaining about British drivers until someone pointed out that the speed limit signs were not in KM.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Yeah, this! (ETS2 does let you adjust units to your preference individually, which is nice.)
    rikdaly wrote: »

it used to be 240 pennies

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/moneyold.htm

I am not old enough to remember this

Nor am I. Which is probably just as well.

- - - - -

ETS2 has its hooks in me. I have just delivered 18 tons - or it might be tonnes, I forget - of tomatoes to Calais. And I remembered to drive on the other side of the road when I got to France (my IRL experience of driving in the USA and Canada helped with this).

I did find myself wishing there was more to the ferry trip than a loading screen...

• Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    Does everyone and their mother already have this too?

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Has anyone released a steamgifts 'enhanced' on the chrome store yet so I can actually functionally use Steamgifts again? Ever since Chrome disabled steamgifts enhanced its just a disaster.

I have Tampermonkey installed on chrome and then run Steam Gifts Plus Alternative through that.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Being in a car with my father who spent an amazing amount of time complaining about British drivers until someone pointed out that the speed limit signs were not in KM.

When I went to Canada, I had to remind myself the speed limits were in KM/h. Otherwise it's like, "yeah, I can do 100! Woohoo!"

• Options

I have Tampermonkey installed on chrome and then run Steam Gifts Plus Alternative through that.

Thank you!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

Jazz wrote: »

When I went to Canada, I had to remind myself the speed limits were in KM/h. Otherwise it's like, "yeah, I can do 100! Woohoo!"

When I go from Canada to the US, I experience it the other way (going from km/h to mph). "Ugh, 60 on the highway? Why is everyone passing me and honking?"

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Iolo wrote: »
    Seems like we have a lot of folks playing Borderlands 2 these days, which is wonderful. @Commander Zoom‌ was talking about the piss-poor drop rate at the end of the last thread, which I 100% agree with. It's still the game's biggest failing that the game is so absurdly stingy with orange drops (maybe tied with with thinking that all anyone wants out of NG++ is raid bosses...)

He also mentioned the gold chest in Sanctuary mitigating that somewhat, which I also agree with. It's not uncommon to hit a bit of a grindy plateau with a character where your best weapons have been with you for a few levels and things are getting pretty spongy. Best thing for that? Cash in a key or five and get a couple of exciting purple weapons from the chest.

This page has a list of the non-expiring SHIFT codes. You can easily grab 100+ keys (plus a bunch of heads and skins) here to get you over any humps in a playthrough. Grabbing a new gun or two* goes a long way towards keeping things moving along.

EDIT: If you haven't signed up for SHIFT you'll need to do that. Then from the BL2 menu choose "Extras" and then "Shift code" to enter them. The field does take pasted codes but can be a bit finicky. If it won't take, make sure you don't have an extra space or tab at the front of your copied code.

The chest is kind of a troll sometimes. Be prepared to get class mods for a class you aren't playing and lots and lots of repeater pistols.

I'll need to remember this for when I get to the sequel . . .

Is it normal to want to shoot Claptrap? Repeatedly?

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yes.

EDIT: The Claptrap DLC for the first game solves this problem.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I want to win Powerball and then use the money to travel the world and shake people's hands for the things they do here.

Oh please you're much too lazy. All that would happen would be the giftpocalypse to end all giftpocalypses.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PA DallasPA Dallas Registered User regular

There should be an award for shooting him. Like in Lego Star Wars you got an achievement for killing Jar Jar Binks.

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    And his hair was perfect.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I will never understand you monsters who don't love claptrap. I'm totally going to main him in the Presequel.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I will never understand you monsters who don't love claptrap. I'm totally going to main him in the Presequel.

I love claptrap!

I just also like to shoot him in the face.

I don't see any conflict of these two feelings. :P

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Ok I totally failed at playing any of The Fall last night. I got distracted trying to clear out my Hearthstone dailies and then I had to hop offline for the rest of the night.
    But it seems pretty clear it is a pretty cool little adventure game. It's pretty small, not completely self contained. Also has a pretty nice look to it. I'm excited to play it. Especially for the Asimov-y robot stuff.
    Was always a fan of the Robots cycle of books.

• Options

"Hey, I'm over here!, Hey, I'm over here!"

"Hey, listen!"

Yes.

How does it fix the problem? I have the GOTY edition, so it looks like I should have it . . .

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    This will help alleviate my guilt. If anyone's curious but not $5 curious, give it a shot.
    signature.png
    Ends tomorrow around this time.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

Wasn't there a way just to tweak BL@ to up drop rates?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options

Hi5

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah I had to ragequit BL2 because weapons were not upgrading with the playthrough well enough. It's my biggest gripe about the game. I got screwed by what I would consider to be RNG, but its sounding more like tons of people had this issue, maybe it isnt balanced well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, the only thing better than Claptrap in Borderlands 1 or 2 is Gaige.

Because Gaige is the best thing ever. But Claptrap is still pretty awesome.

Oh wait. Tiny Tina is also better than Claptrap (but not better than Gaige).

So there's two things better.

:P

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Folks, de-@ posts when quoting! Poor Commander Zoom's going to have half a dozen notifications waiting for him. :p

@DiannaoChong‌, my post above is pretty much written for you. Get some free SHIFT codes, get some better guns, profit!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

"Hey, listen!"

Yes.

How does it fix the problem? I have the GOTY edition, so it looks like I should have it . . .

You get to murder endless numbers of claptraps.

• Options

"Hey, listen!"

Yes.

You get to murder endless numbers of claptraps.

Well, I suppose that is somewhat of a salve . . .

Although if I could just shoot the one in the first town with a shotgun at close range and watch it explode in a shower of sparks, I think that'd be all I'd need.

Until another one of those suckers starts begging for my attention . . .

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Pixel Piracy is leaving Early Access tomorrow, and I have two 25% off coupons if anyone wants them:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/264140/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Which one was Gaige?
    Tiny Tina was the crazy for explosions little girl right?
    I remember DLC (someone gifted me it I think?) that gave me a pretty hilarious character to play, but I kinda burned out. I may have to give it a play again.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options

No no no. The best characters in the game are, in descending order of awesomeness:

Tiny Tina
    Gaige
    Claptrap
    Handsome Jack
    Scooter
    Butt Stallion
    Sir Hammerlock

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

No no no. The best characters in the game are, in descending order of awesomeness:

Tiny Tina
    Gaige
    Claptrap
    Handsome Jack
    Scooter
    Butt Stallion
    Sir Hammerlock

No Torgue? List is invalid.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Shit. Slot Torgue in just above Hammerlock.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Radiation wrote: »

Which one was Gaige?
    Tiny Tina was the crazy for explosions little girl right?
    I remember DLC (someone gifted me it I think?) that gave me a pretty hilarious character to play, but I kinda burned out. I may have to give it a play again.

Gaige is the mechromancer. The first add-on character to play as. And she's the bestest. No, really, it's impossible not to cackle with glee as your unleash hell with her. I love how completely and totally unpredictable it is to use her. Shit can go from a stomping to a clusterfuck and back again in a matter of seconds.

Anyone who claims combat in BL2 can get routine or boring after a while (which is a somewhat reasonable complaint) should just play with Gaige.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Best character in Borderlands 2? Glad you AXED
    ?.jpg
    Glad you axed! Get it?
    1878jzo9qyet.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well, you have to admire a character who has a whole skill tree devoted to buffs when he's on fire, and the skills that allow him to set himself on fire.

minor incident on
This discussion has been closed.