As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The CSI one was big because they're getting out of carrying WM, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Oh, boy, I made a mistake.

I looked at the Earthbreaker on the MiniMarket sale.

<_< >_> <_<

F*ck it.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ha, didn't notice until now that Reznik's chariot has three wracks on it. That's some Mad Max shit going on right there.

Anyway, I talked him down a bit after the game, which was fine. I think our group collectively wants him to play smaller games to learn the basics of the game, but he's the sort of person who is very resistant to playing less. Like, he wants advice that he wants to ask you about, but he doesn't really want it if he doesn't. It's ... weird ...

Maybe run a journeyman league, going from battlebox up to 35p?

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    I also assured him "You have to fall for lots of things once in this game before you can understand how to avoid them."

This is very true. For me it's also a big difference facing hordes when I'm mostly used to warmachine. "Oh, you can boost and buy extra attacks on a whim? Ok, that's cool I guess... Oh, you can transfer the damage away from your caster? Ok, that's cool I guess..."

I'm starting to see the limiting factors as well, but it will take me a while to get used to the fury mechanic I think. :p
    My force is really starting to look great on the table as every little bit more gets painted. :)

There is something deeply satisfying with playing with a fully painted force!

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    Mago wrote: »
    There is something deeply satisfying with playing with a fully painted force!

Yeah, facing your Mercs is definitely making me want to get my painting going.

Oh, rules question that popped up last night.

Morghoul gets two attacks for each fury he buys an attack with.

I bought an attack, giving me two attacks, killed one guy, then had nothing else in melee range. I used his Overtake to reposition so I had another guy in melee.

I couldn't have used that extra attack, could I? Felt like the logical thing there - I bought an attack, giving me two attacks, use one attack, nothing else in range, then I Overtake, but that action ended the attack action.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Anyway, I talked him down a bit after the game, which was fine. I think our group collectively wants him to play smaller games to learn the basics of the game, but he's the sort of person who is very resistant to playing less. Like, he wants advice that he wants to ask you about, but he doesn't really want it if he doesn't. It's ... weird ...

Maybe run a journeyman league, going from battlebox up to 35p?

While I think this could be fun in its own right, and is something I would like to do, I don't think it would work in this case unless we did some tailoring to him, because he seems to have no interest in the game or faction outside of playing Darius.
    Then again, I did recently read about a bunch of ways people have handled non-standard journeyman leagues ... I'll pitch it.

• DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Ha, didn't notice until now that Reznik's chariot has three wracks on it. That's some Mad Max shit going on right there.

That's why he has +1 Focus and can avoid non-magical shooting. ;)

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh, boy, I made a mistake.

I looked at the Earthbreaker on the MiniMarket sale.

<_< >_> <_<

F*ck it.

NO

Shut up!

EDIT: PHEW Out of stock

Arch on
    edited August 2014

Ah, that makes sense - Overtake triggers immediately after making resolving the first attack that destroyed something, before the next attack happens.

It didn't make any difference in this case, but good to know for future games.

edit: oh, you made that thread. Good job, my googling found nothing relevant.

Echo on
    Mmm, magnets. He also magnetizes a House Vyre myrmidon kit, a Menoth kit and a trollblood kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGC36joagE

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    BUT HOW DO THEY WORK

I have a bunch of magnetized legged CoC heavies that I got second-hand, but the magnetizing work is... not very good. The magnets are too small and the joins protrude from the model. I need to tear them apart and re-magnetize them but... I don't want to.

admanb wrote: »
    BUT HOW DO THEY WORK

I have a bunch of magnetized legged CoC heavies that I got second-hand, but the magnetizing work is... not very good. The magnets are too small and the joins protrude from the model. I need to tear them apart and re-magnetize them but... I don't want to.

I maed poast about that

edited August 2014
    I'll definitely use your guide when I finally give in and start working on them.

These models have so much to fix. Giant blobs of glue, bad joins, zero cleaning -- not just mold lines, but chunks of flash! I separated nearly every piece of the unit of Obstructors, and I got half-way through cleaning Syntherion when I realized it'd be easier to just use the extra un-assembled one I got from him.

admanb on
    I am 100% going to steal that guy's guide when I eventually get my Cephalyx army going

I like being able to buy three of the same kit, and get a bunch of different combinations out of it

(although I will probably always run 3 wardens because they look the coolest)

Arch wrote: »
    I like being able to buy three of the same kit, and get a bunch of different combinations out of it

Yeah, I'm too much of a cheapskate and/or poor and magnets are cheap, so I've magnetized pretty much all my multi-kits.

edited August 2014
    Convergence in particular tends to run 2-4 heavies in most lists and loves doubles, so not magnetizing is not only for people with too much money but for people with too much space in their army bags.

admanb on
    I appreciate magnets, but I dislike so many myrmidons that it's easier for me to build the 5 I want to use. No attraction to griffon spam makes it pretty easy ... The only thing I could foresee changing right now is making a second Phoenix (I have the heavy kit, but don't really want to ...).
    I agree though, if you were playing one of the other factions where things are a bit more streamlined, it makes a lot of sense.

"Magnets? Why would you need to use those?"
    -Minion/Rhulic players

persona4celestia.jpg
    "I don't really see the point of being able to swap my jack between Rocinante and also Rocinante." -- Merc players.

• DrakeRaids057DrakeRaids057 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Insert joke here about Menoth players being unaware that jacks other then the Reckoner exist.

DrakeRaids057 on
    The sad part about that is that Menoth has a bunch of great jacks (or at least jacks that become great when Choir is applied) but they're all frequently irrelevant because the Reckoner is bonkers good and undercosted.

Templars and Vanquishers are legit.

FsA2mVn.png

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Templars and Vanquishers are legit.

Yep. Vanquisher + Reckoner is a solid core for most Menoth lists. An easy example:

System: Warmachine
    Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
    Casters: 1/1
    Vice Scrutator Vindictus (*6pts)
    * Reckoner (8pts)
    * Vanquisher (8pts)
    * Hierophant (2pts)
    Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
    Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
    Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
    * Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
    The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)

Don't forget the Avatar, who also helps ruin everything.

Even Crusaders are a good jack. You know what I get for 6 points in Ret? A Chimera. :p

I meant in the 8 point bracket. ;)

But yes, Menoth has some great jacks and the support structure to make them shine with only a couple of stinkers.

Skorne on Cold Ones? Aww yiss. Also, this dark bronze scheme makes them look really evil.

jF3otoy.jpg

p1011297.jpg

I found the perfect model for a Khador War Dog!
    sz21Mzs.jpg

I decided on these bases for my Skorne, so I picked up that ferocious war dog too.

PMAvers wrote: »
    "Magnets? Why would you need to use those?"
    -Minion/Rhulic players

To be fair, I DID magnetize three bunnies so I could swap between six gun bunnies or three and three

edited August 2014
    So, this happened:
    Strider Blightblades

73082_StriderBlightblades_WEB.jpg

If you actually follow that link, it notes they're a multi-kit unit that allows you to build these, or the old Striders with bows. I really don't like this. Kills model diversity even more, especially since this new unit only had 3 sculpts in a 6-man unit. What the hell, PP?

ArcticLancer on
    PP must have web servers running on hamsters. On any given new release day their site just vanishes from the internet.

Who cares about Legion, though?

KUE2etG.jpg
    Having secured her vast territories through a combination of strength and cunning, Helga the Conqueror stands as one of the most formidable farrow warlords. With her great spear and shield cannon, she is a whirlwind of steel on the battlefield, and she can draw on her arcane reserves to bestow mystical strength on the warriors fighting beside her. Their every blow becomes a battering ram, capable of sending enemies flying back to shatter through walls, trees, or anything else in their way.

Yeeeeeees.

persona4celestia.jpg
    It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

Or she makes you sing.