As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Hope it's okay to ask this here, sorry if it's the wrong thread. I'm in the market for a new laptop as I just broke mine 5 minutes ago. Want something I can use for processing photos in RAW format. I think my old laptop would have struggled as it was pretty slow. What sort of thing do I need to look for so it's not a painful experience? RAM? Processor speed? I'm on a pretty tight budget.

i don't think you need to worry too much - as long as you're not getting a budget model, most windows-8 installed computers these days will be 64-bit, have 4 gigs of ram and good enough internal graphics ability to process raw files, depending on how heavy-handed you want to be with multitasking and clunky programs (read: adobe). i've got an 18 month old samsung ultrabook that was less than $1000, runs for 7 hours without a recharge and doesn't hiccough with folders of 16mp raw files.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    in other news

14408993169_c7cdf21299_c.jpg
    Nanny Netty? by jeremy-o, on Flickr

14594909382_be80000582_c.jpg
    Untitled by jeremy-o, on Flickr

14422150110_85aafcde6f_c.jpg
    Touch by jeremy-o, on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @bsjezz if that is your baby then congrats man! As far as the photos go, I find the second one the most interesting (good framing of ze baby), the other two aren't doing a whole lot for me but nontheless will be great candids for the family to look back on.

Little dump.

14620874872_9258bb884d_z.jpgA Lot by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

14560547456_6809821c60_z.jpgAligned by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

14581507494_b6810490f5_z.jpgBam, Denver. by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

14621656875_a3a7998f09_z.jpgAll's Well by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

Plop.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    cheers, prosp! yes he was born two weeks ago and his name is rex! i agree that the second photo there is more interesting than the others - it's probably the best shot of him i got off the roll. i took a couple of other nice ones with the x100 too because i was going to get in mega-trouble for documenting the kids' first days on film and hoping they turned out alright in the sink. not that there aren't a thousand and one snaps of him accumulated on various family phones, SD cards and professional websites already

edit: some digital ones then

14620543731_698073a281_z.jpg
    Three Point Four Five Five by jeremy-o, on Flickr

14437105600_31ce9a2637_z.jpg
    Probes by jeremy-o, on Flickr

14437142548_9f376ab3a6_z.jpg
    The Frog by jeremy-o, on Flickr

14623752995_d83d002241_z.jpg
    Cuddles by jeremy-o, on Flickr

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    @‌ Fresh babies creep me out, so your digital photos give me a bit of a "lab experiment" vibe due to the lighting.
    ... I am a bad person to comment on a baby pictures so I will shut up. But I do agree that the 2nd analog photo is fantastic.

And congratulations!

@prospicience I am not feeling this set. The last shot could be cool if you maybe made the well more of a focal point, but the way it is angled, it might have been a difficult task.

And now that I pooped on everyones parade, here is my crap:

14627192674_5d2c16571f_c.jpg_DSC7500 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Another 500px tutorial this time on shooting night city scapes and how to blend exposures:

http://iso.500px.com/cityscape-night-photography-tips/

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    took some pictures for once:

Chihuly glass exhibit at the Denver Botanic Gardens.
    14681542615_996364b8ca_o.jpg
    purple by jeff25rs, on Flickr

14494874150_55e34d9c50_o.jpg
    blue by jeff25rs, on Flickr

14701434313_d1bb01538f_o.jpg
    red by jeff25rs, on Flickr

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    14681676382_d323492943_b.jpg
    Hidden Sunset
    by Fathom216, on Flickr

Bubby on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    so uh, it's been a while

@bsjezz, congrats on the baby! the film shots came out really well but I can see why digital would be the safer option. especially once things like first steps need to be captured.

meanwhile I haven't had a chance to take any new photos in so long and I'm honestly a bit sick of scanning japan photos, so I've gone back and revisited some old favourites. the first shot here is actually its third incarnation and I think I'm happiest with this, but without the original to compare it against you might not recall any difference. no matter. let me know if anything's terrible! I'm taking the contrast-free portra and running with it.

14667776066_6fe4146b00_c.jpg
    Corolla by rstop bstop, on Flickr

and some ektar, less pleased with this one -- can anyone confirm a yellow tint?
    14504202599_861ce6a57d_c.jpg
    Red 25 by rstop bstop, on Flickr

finally, a "new" shot, in that it was taken way back in march and I've only just scanned it in. moving onto @muninn's turf:
    14690586672_b9c0d64f9f_c.jpg
    Blue by rstop bstop, on Flickr

[edit: oh wow try scrolling up and down on that last shot

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    meanwhile I haven't had a chance to take any new photos in so long and I'm honestly a bit sick of scanning japan photos, so I've gone back and revisited some old favourites.

I took some similar shots while I was in Japan. Just the lack of familiarity with the car models there makes them seem so much fresher.
    muninn wrote: »
    @‌ Fresh babies creep me out, so your digital photos give me a bit of a "lab experiment" vibe due to the lighting.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Man, they are fantastic photos though.

I haven't updated my Flickr page in so long so I finally got up some nerve and climbed Vestal Peak in Colorado. This isn't the exact angle I wanted for the photo, but it's still a pretty dramatic mountain. I climbed the right edge of the large face pictured.
    14678638996_aa5171e8cc_b.jpg
    I always feel like panoramas taken with slightly telephoto lenses is a little bit like cheating. Look, I somehow captured the scene with a 40mm lens!

View off the summit:
    14680559446_7cb37b061f_b.jpg

As a side note my 40mm pancake makes my SL1 absolutely adorable.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Gafoto wrote: »
    meanwhile I haven't had a chance to take any new photos in so long and I'm honestly a bit sick of scanning japan photos, so I've gone back and revisited some old favourites.

I took some similar shots while I was in Japan. Just the lack of familiarity with the car models there makes them seem so much fresher.
    Sorry, think I was a bit vague there -- these were shots I took before the Japan trip, and then wiped from my Flickr once I got back. Just now going back to re-scan a bunch of shots.

Meanwhile, can someone please explain UPS shipping to me? I might have asked this before, but "UPS Worldwide Expedited" is 4–6 days and $56.20. "UPS Worldwide Saver" is 3–5 days and $79.20.

... what the hell, UPS. I'm thinking this is an obvious error on B&H's part, but it's there every time I order something.

• Options
    Really dig the summit picture @gafoto, I just wish there would be a little less foreground. Lovely work.

14711574411_173a82812c_c.jpg[/url14454712200_0594632d6e_c.jpg_DSC3214 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr_DSC3223 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    edited July 2014
    man, got to take some relos to the zoo today and shot a roll of film but i was way off my game for whatever reason. only guy i got anything interesting out of was one of the reliable comedians at taronga

14721516104_4a049ef1f7_c.jpg
    Members' Lounge by jeremy-o, on Flickr

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MIT photography course materials freely available online
    Independent learners and photo course leaders are invited to take advantage of a range of educational materials prepared by professors at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Via the institute’s Open Course Ware (OCW) program, selected reference materials, syllabus structure and lesson plan guidance is published and free to download so that motivated individuals can teach themselves.

Classes include:
    Introduction to Photography and Related Media Undergraduate
    Introduction to Photography Undergraduate
    Stories Without Words: Photographing the First Year Undergraduate
    Strobe Project Laboratory Undergraduate
    Photography and Truth Undergraduate
    Literary Interpretation: Literature and Photography: The Image Undergraduate
    Documentary Photography and Photojournalism: Still Images of a World in Motion Undergraduate
    Documentary Photography and Photo Journalism: Still Images of A World In Motion Undergraduate
    Science, Technology, & World Undergraduate
    Photography and Related Media Graduate
    Sensing Place: Photography as Inquiry Graduate
    Sites in Sight: Photography as Inquiry Graduate
    Computational Camera and Photography Graduate
    Numeric Photography Graduate

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    That is a pretty hilarious picture @bsjezz‌

@Gafoto‌ that first one is great man, incredible tonal values there. Did you do much post or just mess with the contrast and b/w?
    @munnin both those are fantastic, second one is blowing my mind though.

couple of my favorite shots from a 27,000 square foot home I shot yesterday in Boulder, CO.
    14731392534_d8f90293c7_z.jpg
    Mad Shui by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

14547160449_b617dff83c_z.jpg
    Legiteamate by Prospicience 101, on Flickr

Edit: damn! Thanks for sharing CC, I knew they released all their courses online, don't know why I didn't think of checking out their photography. Totally going to have to check those out.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Making a new post as this is relevant to @CommunistCow‌ 's post on the MIT courses.

If anyone is up for it, I would be down to do a weekly (or bi-weekly if that works for others better) project from the syllabus with other forumers. We could do a google video chat at the end of said decided time period and show our work and whatnot, would be nice to bring back some sort of scheduled projects and shit, why not take advantage of one of the best schools in the country's photography courses which are freely available to all of us.

I know lots of us are really busy, me very much included, but I'm always really trying to improve my skills and I know most of you are as well.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Sounds like a great idea. I would be definitely in.

• Options
    Yeah, I could really do with some direction and something to commit to. Don't know how feasible the google chat will be for me but we can work out timezones I guess (jezz and I are GMT+10).

• Options
    there's something sad about your last two photos, @Prospicience‌... i dig them. in general your photos have an emptiness about them that's usually interesting.

got around to sticking a black and white roll through the caffenol - i got lucky on a few, especially this one, which could be the best i've taken since the little guy was born

14760062423_188a3b58a9_c.jpg
    Love Nana by jeremy-o, on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ah, well even if gchat doesn't work we could still all share our work. I'll check out the courses this weekend and see what I can figure out for the projects.

bsjezz wrote: »
    there's something sad about your last two photos, @Prospicience‌... i dig them. in general your photos have an emptiness about them that's usually interesting.
    Thanks haha, that's good I suppose. Sad isn't necessarily what I'm going for but I wouldn't be surprised if that's seeping through somehow, I tend to try and capture "calm."

Prospicience on
  • Options
    I think you have captured "empty" like those rich people's souls who own such huge houses in Boulder. The second image could certainly use more light. I'm getting more of a sad vibe from it compared to the first image.

• Options
    i think it's the natural light filtering through the dark spaces in those two... like that moment you get back from a holiday, and everything is clean and quiet but there's no milk in the fridge and you have to go to work tomorrow

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Used a flash this time. This photo was actually taken outside around 6pm. I just kept stopping my settings down until the previews were black, then I used those settings while popping the flash.

14557964637_024e3a1c7f_c.jpgPink Rose by mgmaness, on Flickr

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    14558012678_7885cf42d8_c.jpg
    The Break by jeremy-o, on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Gafoto‌ that first one is great man, incredible tonal values there. Did you do much post or just mess with the contrast and b/w?

14731392534_d8f90293c7_z.jpg

I love the bust in the background. Seems very lively for such a drab scene.

I did my usual photographic treatment. Channel mixer to monochrome, futz with the levels if needed, a tiny bit in curves and then an unsharp mask. I'm far too lazy to get fantastic results from my post-processing.

Animas River
    14710415264_3a20125379_b.jpg
    This photo and the summit shot on my last post were taken with my iPhone. The convenience of that thing and it being always on me makes it a pretty great camera.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    @Gafoto Its a bit flat to me. But the composition reminds me a bit of Ansel Adams. :)

14743517281_4e95773dba.jpg_DSC7416 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    Really digging that shot, @muninn. The way the fog fades in to the water is fantastic.

@Prospicience‌, I think I missed your shots in the thread but I saw them on Flickr. The first, to me, seems too busy, but I really love the second shot. Composition is spot-on. Only thing I dislike is the name :P

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I need to buying advice. Basically my old Canon 400D has dies a death after 8 lovely years working for me and Ive been looking at a replacement. However I have been looking at some CSC/ full frame compacts and have come down to getting either the Sony A7 with the Zeiss 24-70 F4 lens, The Fujifilm XT-1 and Kit lens or Ive seen the Nikon Df with its 50mm lens at a very good price (about £1000 off). Have any of you tried these out and have opinions on them? Thank you so much in advanced.

• Options
    14755708495_5363052010.jpg_DSC9673 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Hey guys. I need to buying advice. Basically my old Canon 400D has dies a death after 8 lovely years working for me and Ive been looking at a replacement. However I have been looking at some CSC/ full frame compacts and have come down to getting either the Sony A7 with the Zeiss 24-70 F4 lens, The Fujifilm XT-1 and Kit lens or Ive seen the Nikon Df with its 50mm lens at a very good price (about £1000 off). Have any of you tried these out and have opinions on them? Thank you so much in advanced.
    There was some argy-bargy last time the Df was mentioned in one of these threads, and I maintain it's an ill-conceived and confused product, but for a thousand off it might well be worthwhile. Otherwise it'll really come down to whether the Sony lens ecosystem or the Fuji's crop sensor become the limiting factor.

Meanwhile, from earlier in the thread:
    For the A7(R) specifically -- good build quality, great image quality, lacklustre lens ecosystem. By all accounts their 55/1.8 is one of the best new lenses you can buy today, but you'll be paying for it, and god help you if you wanted anything longer with autofocus. Maybe if you already had a lot of old glass you felt like adapting, but then you'll run into issues with wider lenses not working well due to the short flange distance of the mirrorless body. Also I don't think the A7R is worth the premium at all.

In general -- personally I think the Fuji X-T1 is one of the most exciting new mirrorless cameras out there, and they have an outstanding lens lineup and a known history of supporting older cameras through good firmware updates. It's a crop sensor body, but it doesn't have the anti-aliasing filter (which is one of the A7R's advantages over the cheaper A7), so it's able to resolve more detail. The downside is that there's little competition for lenses, they still lack a few good focal lengths and specialty lenses for macro / telephoto work, and the lenses you invest in won't do you any good if you ever upgrade to a full-frame system. I used the X-E1 for a while, and paired with the 35/1.4 (50mm equiv) it produced some excellent shots and had a great "feel" to it. The X-T1 is supposed to have much better AF and a near-flawless EVF, which were two of my biggest problems with the kit.
    Which remains relevant today. Not sure how the 24–70 stacks up against the X-T1's kit lens (has the waterproofed lens even been released yet?) but I think Fuji have more exciting stuff coming than Sony, and a better track record at actually maintaining a line-up.

• Options
    There was some argy-bargy last time the Df was mentioned in one of these threads, and I maintain it's an ill-conceived and confused product, but for a thousand off it might well be worthwhile. Otherwise it'll really come down to whether the Sony lens ecosystem or the Fuji's crop sensor become the limiting factor.

Meanwhile, from earlier in the thread:
    For the A7(R) specifically -- good build quality, great image quality, lacklustre lens ecosystem. By all accounts their 55/1.8 is one of the best new lenses you can buy today, but you'll be paying for it, and god help you if you wanted anything longer with autofocus. Maybe if you already had a lot of old glass you felt like adapting, but then you'll run into issues with wider lenses not working well due to the short flange distance of the mirrorless body. Also I don't think the A7R is worth the premium at all.

In general -- personally I think the Fuji X-T1 is one of the most exciting new mirrorless cameras out there, and they have an outstanding lens lineup and a known history of supporting older cameras through good firmware updates. It's a crop sensor body, but it doesn't have the anti-aliasing filter (which is one of the A7R's advantages over the cheaper A7), so it's able to resolve more detail. The downside is that there's little competition for lenses, they still lack a few good focal lengths and specialty lenses for macro / telephoto work, and the lenses you invest in won't do you any good if you ever upgrade to a full-frame system. I used the X-E1 for a while, and paired with the 35/1.4 (50mm equiv) it produced some excellent shots and had a great "feel" to it. The X-T1 is supposed to have much better AF and a near-flawless EVF, which were two of my biggest problems with the kit.
    Which remains relevant today. Not sure how the 24–70 stacks up against the X-T1's kit lens (has the waterproofed lens even been released yet?) but I think Fuji have more exciting stuff coming than Sony, and a better track record at actually maintaining a line-up.

Awesome, thank you. I know the A7R was a better camera body but is just out of my price range for the offer with that particular lens. The 24-70 F4 Zeiss lens is supposed to be amazing for keeping F4 aperture constantly through all focal lengths. But yeah there doesn't seem to be much else besides getting a metabones adaptor and buying some Canon lenses.

I really love the X10 Fujifilm im using so far and would def be interested in looking further at that model camera. So thanks again. I think the Df looks like a fantastic piece of kit but I def need to have some extensive time using it before I buy.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I would just check out the technical specs on the df, it seems a little quirky mechanically (tried to skip over a lot of the obnoxious stuff in the video - he talks about it more technically at around 16minutes):
    http://youtu.be/en5z-Q4po4M?t=11m28s

Like Baron said, it might be worth it for $1000 off, but at the same time, seems to me there must be a reason they're doing $1000 off now. Trying it out may be the best option.

I've been looking at getting a fujifilm x-e2 myself sometime in the near future as a smaller carry around, basically the exact same thing as an x-t1, just a bit smaller.

Edit: Regarding the MIT Photo stuff, ended up having to edit video over the weekend but I will have a chance today to go over the courses and whatnot and try to figure out our first Project! So stay tuned.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    I've been jonesing after the a7 system in order to have a digital equivalent of my film nikons, but I can't justify the cost.

Anyways, more pictures.

14601385949_5b3f15f424_c.jpg_DSC5831 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    So I'm going to Burning Man this year and this time I'm planning on bringing my old backup 10D backup camera. Does anyone know of any good DIY weather/dust sealing tutorials? I've googled around and all I'm seeing are some generic solutions using a gallon freezer bag with a cheap UV filter over the front and cutting a hole in it.

• Options
    I would just check out the technical specs on the df, it seems a little quirky mechanically (tried to skip over a lot of the obnoxious stuff in the video - he talks about it more technically at around 16minutes):
    http://youtu.be/en5z-Q4po4M?t=11m28s

Like Baron said, it might be worth it for $1000 off, but at the same time, seems to me there must be a reason they're doing $1000 off now. Trying it out may be the best option.

I've been looking at getting a fujifilm x-e2 myself sometime in the near future as a smaller carry around, basically the exact same thing as an x-t1, just a bit smaller.

Edit: Regarding the MIT Photo stuff, ended up having to edit video over the weekend but I will have a chance today to go over the courses and whatnot and try to figure out our first Project! So stay tuned.

I ended up getting the A7 with the 24-70mm F4 Lens. Expensive but I can't wait to start having fun trying out different snaps.

• Options
    good luck!

i also have a sophisticated new sony camera arriving today, though it's attached to a smartphone. i'm looking forward to playing with it! 20 megapixels, though. seriously? how is that necessary on a phone? how is that necessary, period?

actually i'm more keen to try it out for mobile photo processing with eye-fi. if i can find a good app i might get some use out of my x100 again

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    good luck!

i also have a sophisticated new sony camera arriving today, though it's attached to a smartphone. i'm looking forward to playing with it! 20 megapixels, though. seriously? how is that necessary on a phone? how is that necessary, period?

actually i'm more keen to try it out for mobile photo processing with eye-fi. if i can find a good app i might get some use out of my x100 again

Well the Nokia 40 megapixels on the lumia 1020 was basically so you could take an 8 MP photo and digitally zoom in without loss of quality. It was supposed to be a way of enabling proper zooming on a smartphone although in the next year or so we are going to see more flagship smartphones that actually have optical zoom.

First impressions of the A7 so far are pretty awesome. My only issues so far are the menu system is a bit confusing and the lens setup is very top heavy and i'm gonna need to get a better tripod to support it.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    fooling around with flowers on a sunny day:

0IYm3Uyl.jpg
    8BWM3V6l.jpg
    context:
    T4JnG59l.jpg

Also, a couple of other colours:

w3I4hHRl.jpg
    dq1tOi4l.jpg

• Options
    good luck!

Well the Nokia 40 megapixels on the lumia 1020 was basically so you could take an 8 MP photo and digitally zoom in without loss of quality. It was supposed to be a way of enabling proper zooming on a smartphone although in the next year or so we are going to see more flagship smartphones that actually have optical zoom.

ah yes, zoom. the feature for those afraid to get their feet wet

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Whoever invented digital zoom is some kind of monster. There's no difference between "zooming" on an iPhone and cropping the picture later, people! gahhhhh

Was designated photographer at my girlfriend's graduation tonight. Relied on the ol' E-PM2 and reasonably happy with the output. I'm forever tempted to sell off all my digital gear, but it does come in handy for when (as @bsjezz has mentioned) you'd get murdered for shooting film and praying.

Looking forward to seeing some pics, @Ziggymon‌! I was tempted by the RX1 a fair while ago, but could never justify the price. Of course, if I'd bought that and been satisfied, I'd probably have stuck with digital and saved a lot of money in the long run. Not sure how I feel about this.