As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Antonio Restaurant/Dining Suggestions 2015

• Options
    AlleykatdenAlleykatden Registered User regular
    Yes, Taco Cabana is a great suggestion. It's the chain taco place down here and it's 24 hours.

• Options
    No1ComplainerNo1Complainer I am THE #1 Complainer! Merrimack, NHRegistered User new member
    edited July 2014
    I'm driving down from Austin and will be passing by Franklin's. If you guys want I could pick up some BBQ on my way down. They do take pre-orders, but you have to order at least 5 lbs of BBQ. Though the way they talk on their website, it isn't a guarantee to be able to get a pre-order in for a specific date. Drive would take me about 90 minutes from Franklin's to the convention center, depending on traffic. Course, I'm a stranger to you all (hi, I'm No1Complainer) and getting food delivered to you from such after 1.5 hour drive is extremely risky.

Side note, when I was down in SA about a year ago me and a buddy (and his buddies) went to a small taco/nacho place. It was in a residential area. The place had a very strong backyard-family vibe to it. Pretty large selection of beer, based on their appearance. I faintly remember a small playground in the vicinity (or even the premises, I can't remember). Also had porta-johns in the back. Food was pretty decent, good prices. I mainly liked it for its atmosphere and beer selection. All I remember is that it is West of 35/87. My buddy was staying at a hotel off of Santa Rosa and Cesar Chavez, so it was near there. If anyone knows the place I'm talking about, please give me the name, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT - Nevermind, I found the place by exploring Google Maps. The place is called The Friendly Spot, address is 943 S Alamo St.

No1Complainer on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    http://www.oldsmokehouse.net/

This is the best BBQ I've had in SA.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm coming from the Pacific NW, never been to Texas.

What is close to the Convention Center that you guys would recommend if I wanted to grab a few beers with lunch?

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm coming from the Pacific NW, never been to Texas.

What is close to the Convention Center that you guys would recommend if I wanted to grab a few beers with lunch?

The convention center is literally surrounded by everything from franchise resturaunts to locally owned stuff so really it depends what you are looking for. Bars and food are never in short supply anywhere in San Antonio

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    WickershamWickersham Registered User regular

My favorite lunch spot near the convention center is Schilos' Deli. It's an old-world German delicatessen just two blocks away, with great food and a limited but high quality selection of beer. It's the only place I've ever been that had Spaten Optimator on tap.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Wickersham wrote: »

My favorite lunch spot near the convention center is Schilos' Deli. It's an old-world German delicatessen just two blocks away, with great food and a limited but high quality selection of beer. It's the only place I've ever been that had Spaten Optimator on tap.

Welp. My evenings are planned.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options

I saw that on google maps..I do like German food and beer. Count me in

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

• Options
    Shy_PuppetShy_Puppet Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    This isn't much of a "Texas experience" but personally when I'm with friends in San Antonio we like to go to Dicks mainly because it's the closest one to us. It's fun to go there with friends but I wouldn't really go with kids under the age of 13 or 14.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    It's the only place I've ever been that had Spaten Optimator on tap.

I know Flying Saucer has had that on tap before. But I wouldn't advocate going that far out if it is readily available right there.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just point me in the direction of the cheap delicious Mexican food please. We don't really have Mexican food here, up until recently.

Edit: I've also just been told I need to try Shiner Bock, so yeah.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Give it a try, but don't expect it to blow you away.

Pins!
  • Options
    KoToKoTo Monterrey, MéxicoRegistered User regular
    GAWD everyone is interested in Mexican food, makes me proud *sheds a manly tear*. It makes me want to gather a few recipes and cook it myself and bring it over but that's just a little bit too much of a hassle ):

On the other hand, Schilos' Deli sounds like a place I must visit.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    If you're one of those poor, unlucky souls who doesn't get Mexican food ever, and you like spicy dishes, get a good order of chile rellenos.

stuffed+chiles.jpg

Stuffed, roasted poblano peppers. Most Tex-Mex is just meat, cheese, rice, beans, peppers, (veggies), and hot sauce anyway. Might as well make it the best possible combination of all that.

Sometimes a restaurant will actually fry the pepper instead of roasting it. Whatever. Just eat it.

If they use something other than poblano peppers though, go somewhere else.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Yea I would say most of the Mexican food up here in Eastern Wa is Tex Mex style. Good stuff, but I'm thinking BBQ is what I need!

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    If you're one of those poor, unlucky souls who doesn't get Mexican food ever, and you like spicy dishes, get a good order of chile rellenos.

Stuffed, roasted poblano peppers. Most Tex-Mex is just meat, cheese, rice, beans, peppers, (veggies), and hot sauce anyway. Might as well make it the best possible combination of all that.

Sometimes a restaurant will actually fry the pepper instead of roasting it. Whatever. Just eat it.

If they use something other than poblano peppers though, go somewhere else.

Interesting. Here in Tucson, Chilies Rellenos is usually cheese filled. And all the ones I've had are egg battered and fried.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    SA does Tex-Mex better than anybody, but for legit Mexican, you'll want to go to one of Johnny Hernandez's places: La Gloria, The Fruteria, or El Machito. You should also make it a point to try barbacoa--slow roasted beef cheeks, with the option of brain and tongue mixed in if you want to go super-authentic, but there's no shame in sticking with all-meat. And though it's not at all authentic, the puffy taco is not to be missed, either at Henry's or Ray's.

• Options
    KoToKoTo Monterrey, MéxicoRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Interesting. Here in Tucson, Chilies Rellenos is usually cheese filled. And all the ones I've had are egg battered and fried.

Could be filled with cheese (usually fresh or panela), or with picadillo. Then they could be either capeados (I think "egg battered" would be a proper term for "capeados") or covered in nogada and pomegranate (chiles en nogada), which is actually sweet (also filled with sweet picadillo). Or you could even cover with cream and more cheese! There are many ways to do Chiles Rellenos.
    SA does Tex-Mex better than anybody, but for legit Mexican, you'll want to go to one of Johnny Hernandez's places: La Gloria, The Fruteria, or El Machito. You should also make it a point to try barbacoa--slow roasted beef cheeks, with the option of brain and tongue mixed in if you want to go super-authentic, but there's no shame in sticking with all-meat. And though it's not at all authentic, the puffy taco is not to be missed, either at Henry's or Ray's.

THIS. Barbacoa in soft tortilla de maiz (corn), with cilantro, lime juice and salt, salsa, chopped onion (I don't like it personally, but it is very very common), and you got yourself THE taco of barbacoa.

BTW... It feels strange to mix spanish terms with english.....................

• Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    My favorite place in San Antonio is Boudro's on the Riverwalk. I go there every time I stay by the Riverwalk; their tableside guacamole is out of this world. I've never eaten dinner there as its a little pricey, but even locals that I know are fans.

Lucianos (river level, downstairs from the Fogo de Chao) is pretty ace if you're in the mood for Italian. Everything I had/sampled there was above average. Great oil and spices with their bread, too. They were friendly to my con friends, too.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The newspaper here printed Boudro's guacamole recipe sometime back. I have it. It is literally the best guac anywhere.

And yes, I echo that you want to get yourself a stuffed poblano pepper if you can.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Oh what the heck, I just realized I live like a 5 minute walk from the Old Smokehouse. Why have I never been there?

• Options
    CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    I have to say, the mole isn't as good as mole I had in New Mexico. It wasn't spicy and no discernible chocolate creaminess at all. Just... brown? It didn't hit the spot. I've had Fogo de Chao in Dallas, they were incredibly expensive but absolutely delicious. Can't go wrong with an endless buffet of grilled meat.

• Options
    gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »

Welp. My evenings are planned.

If it's not to cold out, you'd probably also really dig The Beethoven. It's an old school beer garden in south town, but they don't really do food except on first Fridays, during Fiesta or other special events that they host.

• Options
    person06person06 Registered User new member
    The food court at the Rivercenter Mall gets easily crowded. If your not above Mcdonalds, there is one block east of the mall, every convention i've gone too I try going to the food court, but wind up just heading out of the crowd and into the quick service that Mcdonalds has.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Oh what the heck, I just realized I live like a 5 minute walk from the Old Smokehouse. Why have I never been there?

If you go then let me know what you think. I need validation!

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    ChewyChavezIIIChewyChavezIII Registered User new member
    edited August 2014
    Hey whats up y'all. I was in SA this weekend for the Wizard World Comic-Con, and ate lunch at a place called Charlie Wants a Burger. A lot of their stuff, like their pickles are made in the restraunt. I had a portabella gouda burger and it was awesome. It is just a short walk from the convention center.

Their website is charliewantsaburger.com

ChewyChavezIII on
  • Options
    jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    You want burgers? We got you covered. Across the street from the Pearl Brewery is Sam's Burger Joint, definitely worth a look. Also The Cove at about a mile north of downtown if you have a car, taxi, or local chauffeur, they have a really decent bison burger. Further out, go to Chris Madrid's for one of the best, sloppiest, biggest burgers around, or Chester's Hamburger Co. for a burger consistently voted best in San Antonio.

• Options
    jj4th wrote: »
    ...go to Chris Madrid's for one of the best, sloppiest, biggest burgers around...

A thousand times this. It's a burger you have to cut into quarters, if not eat with a fork and knife. The patty extends beyond the bun to a distance of one or two inches. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner there.

• Options
    At Chris Madrid's, the bun is a decoration.

Pins!
  • Options
    BrokeTVBrokeTV Registered User new member
    Chris Madrids is a overrated greasy unappetizing burger. Luke on the Riverwalk has an awesome burger and so does Cured at the Pearl Brewery.

• Options
    ElectropowElectropow Master of Da Ways Registered User regular
    If you don't mind a bit of travel for a treat, there's two Krispy Kreme Doughnuts about 15-20 minutes from the Riverwalk.

wlg339t.png
  • Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Franklin's sounds pretty incredible, I'll try to check it out if I make it over for South.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    The OP has been updated with a listing of the suggestions made so far. I'll be updating this sheet as more suggestions are made.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Wont mention name of places, but I got a kick out of the "Authentic Mexican" places who's owner's last names were Wong and Tsun

• Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    I was actually seeing if anyone in the SA area knew of any great food trucks that stop near the convention center? I have always wanted to try a food truck, I watch all the food channel shows about them. lol And I figured since I would be in an actual city they should have some to try! :)

• Options
    Midan wrote: »
    I was actually seeing if anyone in the SA area knew of any great food trucks that stop near the convention center? I have always wanted to try a food truck, I watch all the food channel shows about them. lol And I figured since I would be in an actual city they should have some to try! :)

There's a food truck park about half a mile from the convention center called the Alamo Street Eat Bar. I highly recommend it.

• Options
    m0nk33m0nk33 Keeper of the Tubes Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time believing that Luke is not on this list. Great food and the service has been wonderful every time I've been.

graphic.png
  • Options
    m0nk33 wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing that Luke is not on this list. Great food and the service has been wonderful every time I've been.

Best happy hour in the city.

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    m0nk33 wrote: »

Will add. Unless I missed it I don't think it was mentioned before so I never added it.

• Options
    PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    My wife and I's anniversary is on the 21st of January. Can anyone recommend a restaurant on the list (or not) that would be suitable for such an occasion? I'm not willing to spend $100 a plate, but I'm willing to pay well as long as I get what I pay for. We're staying close to the convention center, but will be driving our own car if there's a must-have place worth the drive.