As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7/30/14: Wait, WHAT!?

vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XXRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Graphic Violence
Uncanny X-Men #24. Charles Xavier's Last Will & Testament.
pU1lcWI.png

ZHLSIqu.png

Emma is clearly the best here, and mimics my reaction.

The rest of it...
6xFw8fM.png

M3ePsTB.jpg

Easily the best reaction faces in comics in a while.

Excuse me while I get popcorn.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
// Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
vagrant_winds on

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I haven't posted any New Avengers because.... I'm not exactly sure what up-to-4 pages to pick. I'll watch as someone else makes that hard decision.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So onlaught v.2

here we go?

@vagrant_winds PASS THE POPPED CORN MY GOOD MAN>

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    New Avengers #21, good good good, too much good for what can be posted:
    Strange went crazy and killed everyone but the GL stand-in, while Maximus is talking to Black Swan about her manipulations being off a bit

newavengers21a_zps626908fa.jpg

Then he says he can be a king to *hint hint backstabbing imminent*

So now the Avengers won

newavengers21b_zps2b10498b.jpg

But no one wants to pull the trigger, especially Strange who's upset they made him have to unleash the crazy to begin with:

newavengers21c_zpsd63aa7cc.jpg

newavengers21d_zpsb1931b1c.jpg

newavengers21e_zps47fe7577.jpg

And boom goes the dynamite

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    New Avengers #21, good good good, too much good for what can be posted:
    Strange went crazy and killed everyone but the GL stand-in, while Maximus is talking to Black Swan about her manipulations being off a bit

newavengers21a_zps626908fa.jpg

Then he says he can be a king to *hint hint backstabbing imminent*

So now the Avengers won

newavengers21b_zps2b10498b.jpg

But no one wants to pull the trigger, especially Strange who's upset they made him have to unleash the crazy to begin with:

newavengers21c_zpsd63aa7cc.jpg

newavengers21d_zpsb1931b1c.jpg

newavengers21e_zps47fe7577.jpg

And boom goes the dynamite
    Wow, BP's dad's a real jackass.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    We only get a new issue of Sandman: Overture every 4-5 months or so, but when the issues look this beautiful and the stories are as enjoyable as they have been I really don't mind the wait. Gives me plenty of time to just sit back, absorb, and let settle. From #3
    yXiurJe.jpg

Black Science #7: always difficult to pick out moments from issues of BS, and especially so for the frenetically paced ones like this issue.
    y9Vx22n.jpg
    sKVamkt.jpg
    Awesome takedown from the old shaman was a highlight though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToonToon Registered User regular
    Is anyone keeping count of Xavier's darkest secrets?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Let's see
    -lied and faked his death before the book was shunned to reprint in the 60's
    -lied about the third Summers brother/that whole other team
    -loved Jean in a way that seemed more than a daughter
    -Legion
    -Proteus (kind of a toss up with Moira)
    -Onslaught
    -Cassandra Nova
    -there's probably something with Juggernaut out there
    -the one that was revealed this issue and whatever is even darker to be revealed

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    All the illuminati stuff

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I just wanna say that Namor continues to easily be one of my favorite Marvel characters.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Let's see
    -lied and faked his death before the book was shunned to reprint in the 60's
    -lied about the third Summers brother/that whole other team
    -loved Jean in a way that seemed more than a daughter
    -Legion
    -Proteus (kind of a toss up with Moira)
    -Onslaught
    -Cassandra Nova
    -there's probably something with Juggernaut out there
    -the one that was revealed this issue and whatever is even darker to be revealed

- Danger
    - Amelia Voght

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Wait, does this mean that now Prof. X was Nightcrawler's step-dad? That's one more snarl in the X-Men family tree.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Fuck. How can any of the New Avengers live with themselves afterwards.

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I haven't had a chance to read this week's comics, but my week just got made. The Comixology Submit bundle that ran through SDCC managed to put Of Stars and Swords 1 (and @Gustav 's Eve Of The Ozarks!!) on their top selling list. Above things like Sex Criminals and Spider-Man and the like.

Soooo, yeah. That's not two Of Stars and Swords issues that have been top sellers on Comixology and that's both crazy and awesome and I apparently really need to read the newest New Avengers...

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I don't know about New Avengers.

I feel like Atlantis is kind of not remotely worth sacrificing anything for seeing as how the sum total of the society seems to be "Has a king, is under the water, occasionally invades surface world". And I don't know, all the jerking about with the noble savagery of kings is a bit silly seeing as how we can look at actual for-real kings and see they're basically 100% dumb assholes born into being dumb assholes.

I mean I get what they're doing here and it makes for some really powerfully built scenes, but I really feel hollow about all these Big Choices. I can only hope will never affect future stories because Happy-Go-Lucky Science Adventure FF Reed Richards would be hard to reconcile with globocide.

I feel like this comes up a lot of the time with Hickman for me. He likes to paint the whole canvas really thoroughly and I'm impressed and then like okay let's completely jettison this because fuck I don't actually want a 20-year time-loop of sadness to be the backdrop for all future stories or whatever.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Atlantis is pretty much already done bro. Wakanda attacked it in a backstab while Namor was diplomatically trying to make a cease-fire/peace treaty.

Namor's whole speech is that you can have your ideas and die with them, along with the rest of your earth. Or he can sacrifice his ideals because they mean nothing compared to the existence of everyone on earth. The Illuminati aren't heroes. Nothing they're doing is heroic. They're sacrificing themselves to be that force of nature, to be the bastards that can do the unthinkable, so that the earth might live.

That's the point. They're not heroes. They're the force of nature that keeps the world existing one more day.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    And the SE thread was just talking yesterday, hickman really does like putting Reed into the edge of the globocide. It's basically exactly what the interdimensional council of reeds was doing!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Atlantis is pretty much already done bro. Wakanda attacked it in a backstab while Namor was diplomatically trying to make a cease-fire/peace treaty.

Namor's whole speech is that you can have your ideas and die with them, along with the rest of your earth. Or he can sacrifice his ideals because they mean nothing compared to the existence of everyone on earth. The Illuminati aren't heroes. Nothing they're doing is heroic. They're sacrificing themselves to be that force of nature, to be the bastards that can do the unthinkable, so that the earth might live.

That's the point. They're not heroes. They're the force of nature that keeps the world existing one more day.

With an underlying implication that if they had approached things as heroes they might not have had to do these things.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    JyrenB wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to read this week's comics, but my week just got made. The Comixology Submit bundle that ran through SDCC managed to put Of Stars and Swords 1 (and @Gustav 's Eve Of The Ozarks!!) on their top selling list. Above things like Sex Criminals and Spider-Man and the like.

Soooo, yeah. That's not two Of Stars and Swords issues that have been top sellers on Comixology and that's both crazy and awesome and I apparently really need to read the newest New Avengers...

Wait, what?!?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

With an underlying implication that if they had approached things as heroes they might not have had to do these things.

I was hoping that the Not-Justice League would wind up heroically sacrificing themselves to spare Earth-616, in kind've a macrocosm of their brand of heroism - Superman would take a bullet for someone, even Lex Luthor, so of course Superman-World would take a bullet for another world, even a less than heroic one. Not a bad issue, but not an especially satisfying outcome for me.
    Unfortunately we got the Not-Justice League being horribly butchered (which is a trope I really don't enjoy anymore), and now Namor is a pretty much a bad guy while Doc Strange is getting there.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I was hoping that the Not-Justice League would wind up heroically sacrificing themselves to spare Earth-616, in kind've a macrocosm of their brand of heroism - Superman would take a bullet for someone, even Lex Luthor, so of course Superman-World would take a bullet for another world, even a less than heroic one. Not a bad issue, but not an especially satisfying outcome for me.
    Unfortunately we got the Not-Justice League being horribly butchered (which is a trope I really don't enjoy anymore), and now Namor is a pretty much a bad guy while Doc Strange is getting there.

Namor
    is NAMOR, KING OF ATLANTIS. He hasn't changed at all and is 100% in character.

Strange is on the highway to hell though.

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    JyrenB wrote: »

Wait, what?!?

Haha, yeah. Eve is here on Page 4 of Comixology's top sellers. The entire Submit bundle runs from half of Page 1 to Page 5. So a whole lot of new people just got their hands on our comics, dude.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2014

Namor

I think I'm on the other side of most people when it comes to Namor and Strange. As far as I'm concerned, they are the only ones with a shred of honor or heroism left. The group came up with a solution to the incursions, and it was making fucking bombs. So when they finally get into a situation where they have to pull the trigger everyone balks out of a sense of personal honor and morals. Namor is left to step up and save two universes (minus one Earth).

The Illuminati don't want to have to bomb a planet? Don't build a fucking bomb.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Namor

I think I'm on the other side of most people when it comes to Namor and Strange. As far as I'm concerned, they are the only ones with a shred of honor or heroism left. The group came up with a solution to the incursions, and it was making fucking bombs. So when they finally get into a situation where they have to pull the trigger everyone balks out of a sense of personal honor and morals. Namor is left to step up and save two universes (minus one Earth).

When you put it that way...it makes it sound like they were hoping the circumstances would blink first. Clearly the Illuminati don't understand which writer they're at the mercy of.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Namor

When you put it that way...it makes it sound like they were hoping the circumstances would blink first. Clearly the Illuminati don't understand which writer they're at the mercy of.

So, they need to get Deadpool in there so he can tell them who's on the other side of that 4th wall?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

namor is the only good person there.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    All debating aside, that was a beautiful issue of New Avengers.
    Watching the Great Society get taken apart was jaw dropping and the scenes with Sun God begging at the end almost brought a tear to my eye. I also LOVED watching the Illuminati in turn fail at the moment of importance. Then there's the art - also incredible. I think that was one of the better mainstream issues I've read in years.